As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Legends of Runeterra] A CCG that takes all the good stuff from MtG/HS but is F2P friendly

2456710

Posts

  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you can just overkill the ai in lab of legends to get credit.

    Also fun fact, the quest that has countdown a sun disk gives you credit if an opponent does it...
    Yeah, that's what I ended up doing. But I was hoping to get some PVP bonus XP and finish a quest in one go.

    Picked up some of the new Demacia Elites stuff with my vault winnings. Jarvan is a lot of fun!

  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I just looked through the leaderboards and imported a few of their decks and ended up crafting what I needed for ashe/leblanc and then stomped a loss deck so hard. First time I actually felt I had the upper hand against the deck.

    3ds FC: 0645 - 7166 - 9801
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Just a reminder, the Lab of Legends is bugged and providing a second set of PvP bonus XP every day. My current routine is to get my 3 normal PvP bonuses through VS or Expeditions, then get three quick wins in the Lab.

    So much XP!

    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    I got a champion. tryndamere, who I have no plans of ever using. and a concurrent timelines that I'll get 3 of from the event

    MNC Dover
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    You'll get some shards for the extra from the event. I maxed the event. Just deciding if I want to spend money on the pass now.

    3ds FC: 0645 - 7166 - 9801
    BedlamMNC Dover
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    my luck with champions hasn't been that bad(I drew 3 kalistas somehow) but I haven't gotten any that I really want while I have gotten some that I really don't want, which is always disappointing

  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Yeah I got two Ascendeds Rise before hitting the node so it gave me the third copy and 500 shards.

    Best pull today was Kadgradin the Infernal but I did get a Fiora in an expansion pack earlier this week.

    A bit salty that we have 3 Goth Champions but no new Daybreak Champs were introduced when going to the region that worships a SUN DISC.



  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    hah, I got one kadgradin too. I don't think I have any plans to make a dragon deck though, the screeching dragon is useful but dragon decks are too slow for me

    Bedlam
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    On the plus side, getting Champs you don't want means getting closer to the ones you do.

    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Bedlam
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Next level play is to buy all the champs you don't want, crack open your champ capsule or whatever, and then refund the champs you don't want. It's a free get exactly whatever the hell you want if you have the capital to do shenanigans!

  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Next level play is to buy all the champs you don't want, crack open your champ capsule or whatever, and then refund the champs you don't want. It's a free get exactly whatever the hell you want if you have the capital to do shenanigans!

    While true, if you can afford that, you really don't need to game the system.

    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Next level play is to buy all the champs you don't want, crack open your champ capsule or whatever, and then refund the champs you don't want. It's a free get exactly whatever the hell you want if you have the capital to do shenanigans!

    While true, if you can afford that, you really don't need to game the system.

    Listen, all these rich oligarchs don't wake up and say "You know what? I can pay a regular amount of taxes. Let's stop with the loopholes!" When you're on top you gotta use every advantage possible to stay on top! I would expect a StarCraft II veteran to be familiar with "When you're ahead, you get more ahead."

    Plus card game players live and die by card advantage. This is actual card advantage! It's a 0 for 1!

  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 11
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Next level play is to buy all the champs you don't want, crack open your champ capsule or whatever, and then refund the champs you don't want. It's a free get exactly whatever the hell you want if you have the capital to do shenanigans!

    While true, if you can afford that, you really don't need to game the system.

    Listen, all these rich oligarchs don't wake up and say "You know what? I can pay a regular amount of taxes. Let's stop with the loopholes!" When you're on top you gotta use every advantage possible to stay on top! I would expect a StarCraft II veteran to be familiar with "When you're ahead, you get more ahead."

    Plus card game players live and die by card advantage. This is actual card advantage! It's a 0 for 1!

    I mean sure, but playing LoR is like starting a game with the title "BGH NR20". You're going to have all the cardz in just a few months. This ain't HS where every drop of gold and dust has to be maximized. :P

    MNC Dover on
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited March 11
    so I get all my pvp wins from the duo lab because I usually go 3-0 or 2-1 and it's weird and fun. I've only had a few occasions where you have a guy who destroys a mana crystal on turn 2 to summon a 3rd nasus and it's just like what are you doing, and I have had a good amount of moments where my partner points out something I didn't see. the lissandra deck is bad though, don't pick it.

    the only thing it needs is a question mark emote. the flag one isn't useful. otherwise communicating entirely through emotes is very novel

    I also want to make a discard deck now, already having the 3 jinxes needed

    Jars on
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    I finally ran across the Lissandra deck and sweet Betsy did it ever whoop my ass. That thing is a real beast.

  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    its super dumb. it just drops avalanche, the 1 dmg to everything, or blighted ravine until it can just throw trundle in front and freeze stuff, then just drops 8 drops and kills you with frozen thralls or throws a watcher at you. unless you can throw a bunch of fat boys at them fast enough there isnt much you can do. im considering building the ez/leblanc list i saw earlier that just casts mimic on itself and ez pings them for every mana you have.

    3ds FC: 0645 - 7166 - 9801
    Mongrel Idiot
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    its super dumb. it just drops avalanche, the 1 dmg to everything, or blighted ravine until it can just throw trundle in front and freeze stuff, then just drops 8 drops and kills you with frozen thralls or throws a watcher at you. unless you can throw a bunch of fat boys at them fast enough there isnt much you can do.

    It's also a good idea to keep a second champion in hand, so that if your deck gets obliterated you can try to keep "add one copy of this champion to your deck" each turn to last a few more turns.

    MNC Dover
  • I needed a gnome to post.I needed a gnome to post. boom Registered User regular
    i've really warmed up to this set over time

    something i've critiqued the game before, and which Targon set was particularly egregious with, is that the game can devolve really easily into "packages" of cards. you don't look at leona and think "hmm look at the way this synergizes with the sets before and existing decks", you look at leona and go "well i guess i just put her in a deck with all the new Daybreak cards they made"

    you take two packages, squish 'em together, sprinkle the generically good cards for your factions, and there you go

    but this set has a much cleaner, more elegant design that both looks backwards and forwards. sure, characters like leblanc and sivir CAN be put in a dedicated Reputation deck, they'll level faster, but they can also just be aggressive dudes in a regular aggressive deck. none of the Ascended champions need to be put into a Sun Disc deck. the closest is probably lissandra who is very tightly tied to a theme from a previous set, but it's giving that theme a new toy and playstyle in a way that mechanics like Daybreak or Deep are not

    if this is a sign of card design to come i'm much more optimistic about the design space long term

    liEt3nH.png
    MNC DoverIvelliusJimbo
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Yeah Ive tried it a couple times. You still have to deal with at least 1 11/17 and whatever else, and if you don't have more than 1 champ in hand they can just not attack while waiting for you to recast the champ, because if you don't cast it you just lose. It's just super frustrating to go up against.

    3ds FC: 0645 - 7166 - 9801
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I figure that if they get the Watcher in play, you've pretty much already lost before that.

    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Bedlam
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited March 12
    so I'm thinking about reputation, and you know what's one way to get some 5 strength attackers with a super cheap mana cost? yetis

    and so I don't double post I had a guy do the shen "I won" thing, except he forgot that +3 buff goes away when your hecarim dies and he didn't actually kill me and lost

    Jars on
    MNC Dover
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    i've really warmed up to this set over time

    something i've critiqued the game before, and which Targon set was particularly egregious with, is that the game can devolve really easily into "packages" of cards. you don't look at leona and think "hmm look at the way this synergizes with the sets before and existing decks", you look at leona and go "well i guess i just put her in a deck with all the new Daybreak cards they made"

    you take two packages, squish 'em together, sprinkle the generically good cards for your factions, and there you go

    but this set has a much cleaner, more elegant design that both looks backwards and forwards. sure, characters like leblanc and sivir CAN be put in a dedicated Reputation deck, they'll level faster, but they can also just be aggressive dudes in a regular aggressive deck. none of the Ascended champions need to be put into a Sun Disc deck. the closest is probably lissandra who is very tightly tied to a theme from a previous set, but it's giving that theme a new toy and playstyle in a way that mechanics like Daybreak or Deep are not

    if this is a sign of card design to come i'm much more optimistic about the design space long term

    Everything about this set's design is better and I feel like many of the Targon expansion champions will end up getting a design rework. At the very least Taric, Lulu, and the support mechanic (not introduced there but a major component of Targon) need an overhaul, or maybe support just doesn't need to be on a champ.

    MNC DoverIvellius
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I think the only card that sticks out as bad is Nasus.

    I've already played a game with IT Department in it. Don't need that shit but actually playable to exist.

  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Nasus is part of a pretty good deck though. Paired with thresh and all the si sacrifice stuff he can get real big. Then they just atrocity nasus at you for a ton.

    3ds FC: 0645 - 7166 - 9801
    shrykeMNC Dover
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    No by bad I mean I don't like his design.

    His scaling method can lead to lame feeling games where they can't close but you're unlikely to recover from Nasus and the game just takes six turns longer to finish.

    MNC Dover
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 12
    Swim's Azir/SI aggro deck is quick and easy to climb with. Well, I say easy, but there are some decisions to be made. I actually felt smart playing it, having to set up things 1-2 turns in advance.

    nqas1o13m7qy.png
    CECAIAIFBMTDAMIDAQDRUHCSAMBQKAYEAYAQEBIEAIAQCBJPAECAOAYDAECAO6IBAICQMAIBAUVQ
    https://lor.mobalytics.gg/decks/c0vs9k4rkdc59kvi73og

    Even better, it's super cheap to craft at 12k Shards. It's entirely Commons/Rares with only 2 copies of Azir. Give it a try!

    My highlight from it today was having a Doombeast and Phantom Prankster on board, and Azir and Rite of Calling in hand. I crunched the numbers, and found that I could play Azir, then play Rite of Calling (destroying a the mana gem), and then have exactly 9 mana the next turn (7 normal + 2 spell) to burst speed 3 Sand Soldiers. That meant my attack would be 6 units wide and more than enough damage for his single dragon to block. So fun!

    MNC Dover on
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Ivelliusshryke
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited March 12
    jesus fuck I've seen too many shadowlands decks today

    SHADOWLANDS
    BILGEWATER
    SHADOWLANDS AND BILGEWATER

    Jars on
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    got shyvana to mastery 5, fiora isnt too far behind either. now i can play some other decks more lol.

    3ds FC: 0645 - 7166 - 9801
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    got shyvana to mastery 5, fiora isnt too far behind either. now i can play some other decks more lol.

    Wait, what? Mastery 5?! Isn't that tons of grinding wins to get to that point? I want to say it was 18,000 points, which would be ~129 wins w/3 Champs in the deck (140 points).

    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I played a lot of games. And I won a lot of them too lol.

    I did change the deck a bit so it's actually like a cross between the ren/sej overwhelm and the sivir decks. Ruin runners are just so much better than screeching dragons. I cut the egg researchers for the 3/2 lord that gets barrier. Added a couples golden aegis. So now it's basically a midrange aggro deck that everyone throws their hand at fiora, but really ruin runner and shyvana push damage and close the game. I win less often with fiora alt win con, but in general I've been winning more. Been yoyoing around diamond 3.

    3ds FC: 0645 - 7166 - 9801
    MNC Dover
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Cool. Gotta a code to share? I just got to Gold and am looking for more deck ideas. But still, winning with Shiv is crazy.

    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    I played around with yetis a bit and it started off well but then stopped doing so well for whatever reason and went back to kindred and made it to mastery 2. the deck is wonky though, I need to make the unit spread more reliable

  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Strolled into Diamond with Fiora Shen. 18-4, several of which were Azir decks conceding on the spot to Fiora.

    Golden Aegis is a much better fit for the deck than Relentless Pursuit was, and there's a lot of Liss Trundle which seems like an excellent matchup between the beefy units and counterspells.

    Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    On the plus side, getting Champs you don't want means getting closer to the ones you do.
    Yes. Also:

    lsbRYLI.png



    MNC Dover
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited March 13
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Swim's Azir/SI aggro deck is quick and easy to climb with. Well, I say easy, but there are some decisions to be made. I actually felt smart playing it, having to set up things 1-2 turns in advance.

    CECAIAIFBMTDAMIDAQDRUHCSAMBQKAYEAYAQEBIEAIAQCBJPAECAOAYDAECAO6IBAICQMAIBAUVQ
    https://lor.mobalytics.gg/decks/c0vs9k4rkdc59kvi73og

    Even better, it's super cheap to craft at 12k Shards. It's entirely Commons/Rares with only 2 copies of Azir. Give it a try!

    My highlight from it today was having a Doombeast and Phantom Prankster on board, and Azir and Rite of Calling in hand. I crunched the numbers, and found that I could play Azir, then play Rite of Calling (destroying a the mana gem), and then have exactly 9 mana the next turn (7 normal + 2 spell) to burst speed 3 Sand Soldiers. That meant my attack would be 6 units wide and more than enough damage for his single dragon to block. So fun!

    Aggro gets a lot of hate from what I'll describe as casually competitive people. They've moved on from the newbie phase and like to play games at a high level, in Magic these would be the people who make the cut at FNM but can't reliably win, or will never/don't want to play or do well at a larger event. They know just enough to be dangerous.

    Aggro decks actually take a lot of knowledge and I think it may be one of the better tests of player skill in a given game. Individual card choice matters SO MUCH in aggro, making a couple tweaks based on the meta you expect to face makes a big deal. It further tests your meta knowledge because you need to know what your opponent is capable of and likely to do given what's happened and what they have open. A classic decision in Runeterra from a couple metas ago is turn one, with the attack token and given multiple one drops what do you play? The options can be Legion Saboteur, the 2/1 fearsome spider, Legion Rearguard. The level of this is "what one mana plays do they have open?" Can they thermobeam? Can they play a blocker and if so what can it trade with? The second level starts actually considering the matchup odds. Am I disadvantaged here, and if so do I need to get a little lucky, and then what's the play with the most upside? What are the odds of being lucky and how bad would it be if I'm not lucky and I get blown out?

    That doesn't get into all the scenarios of whether it's better to clear blockers or go face with your damage removal and then playing to your outs two, three turns in advance. It takes a lot of skill to say "Okay I'm ahead right now but he's stabilizing and now I have to play as though I get a decimate in my next two draws even though it's unlikely, it's my highest win percentage" or "I have to risk not blocking and getting low on health because I may need a body to Demolitionist or Noxian Fervor." You need to constantly be weighing tempo and card advantage, sometimes it's better to go down cards because your opponent will be dead before the advantage matters! Other times you'll lose making that decision because you misjudged how long the game would go. I think it's a lot more skill testing than having to just "well I'll play all my healing cards and stall until the end game because if I can survive long enough to get off a Ledros/Atrocity my win% is 95%"

    ChaosHat on
    IvelliusMNC DoverMongrel Idiotshryke
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Cool. Gotta a code to share? I just got to Gold and am looking for more deck ideas. But still, winning with Shiv is crazy.

    CMBQEAIADUWQGAYAAYFQ4AYEA4GRUXIEAEBAAAIBAQAAGAQBAAERUAYEA4ICMTACAECAAAQBAQDWY. This is the last list that clung to dragons.

    CMCACBAAAEBACAA5FUBAGAALBYBQIBY2G5OQIAICAAAQEAIABENAEBAAAIBQGBAHBUTC2AA. This is what I've been playing recently.

    3ds FC: 0645 - 7166 - 9801
    MNC Dover
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Casual-Competitive people don't like playing against agro because the usual kind of decks that fit 'competitive but not meta defining' are the exact kind of decks who are just a turn too slow or greedy to live versus agro.

  • ChaosHatChaosHat Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Casual-Competitive people don't like playing against agro because the usual kind of decks that fit 'competitive but not meta defining' are the exact kind of decks who are just a turn too slow or greedy to live versus agro.

    I just think they're right in the window where they can decry it as being too straight forward and nooby of a strategy and also know enough about the game to be kind of condescending towards it. Aggressive strategies tend to be conflated with Timmy type ideas which a lot of new players fall into. "Big dragon go rar." "Look at all my dudes swing yay!" It doesn't require a lot of complicated rules knowledge to pull off, it just requires a lot of the other skills. It really gets under the skin of the Johnny (especially Johnny/Spike) types who want to win but they have to do it with flair or style or their own spin or it doesn't count.

    Mongrel Idiot
  • Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Swim's Azir/SI aggro deck is quick and easy to climb with. Well, I say easy, but there are some decisions to be made. I actually felt smart playing it, having to set up things 1-2 turns in advance.

    CECAIAIFBMTDAMIDAQDRUHCSAMBQKAYEAYAQEBIEAIAQCBJPAECAOAYDAECAO6IBAICQMAIBAUVQ
    https://lor.mobalytics.gg/decks/c0vs9k4rkdc59kvi73og

    Even better, it's super cheap to craft at 12k Shards. It's entirely Commons/Rares with only 2 copies of Azir. Give it a try!

    My highlight from it today was having a Doombeast and Phantom Prankster on board, and Azir and Rite of Calling in hand. I crunched the numbers, and found that I could play Azir, then play Rite of Calling (destroying a the mana gem), and then have exactly 9 mana the next turn (7 normal + 2 spell) to burst speed 3 Sand Soldiers. That meant my attack would be 6 units wide and more than enough damage for his single dragon to block. So fun!

    Aggro gets a lot of hate from what I'll describe as casually competitive people. They've moved on from the newbie phase and like to play games at a high level, in Magic these would be the people who make the cut at FNM but can't reliably win, or will never/don't want to play or do well at a larger event. They know just enough to be dangerous.

    Aggro decks actually take a lot of knowledge and I think it may be one of the better tests of player skill in a given game. Individual card choice matters SO MUCH in aggro, making a couple tweaks based on the meta you expect to face makes a big deal. It further tests your meta knowledge because you need to know what your opponent is capable of and likely to do given what's happened and what they have open. A classic decision in Runeterra from a couple metas ago is turn one, with the attack token and given multiple one drops what do you play? The options can be Legion Saboteur, the 2/1 fearsome spider, Legion Rearguard. The level of this is "what one mana plays do they have open?" Can they thermobeam? Can they play a blocker and if so what can it trade with? The second level starts actually considering the matchup odds. Am I disadvantaged here, and if so do I need to get a little lucky, and then what's the play with the most upside? What are the odds of being lucky and how bad would it be if I'm not lucky and I get blown out?

    That doesn't get into all the scenarios of whether it's better to clear blockers or go face with your damage removal and then playing to your outs two, three turns in advance. It takes a lot of skill to say "Okay I'm ahead right now but he's stabilizing and now I have to play as though I get a decimate in my next two draws even though it's unlikely, it's my highest win percentage" or "I have to risk not blocking and getting low on health because I may need a body to Demolitionist or Noxian Fervor." You need to constantly be weighing tempo and card advantage, sometimes it's better to go down cards because your opponent will be dead before the advantage matters! Other times you'll lose making that decision because you misjudged how long the game would go. I think it's a lot more skill testing than having to just "well I'll play all my healing cards and stall until the end game because if I can survive long enough to get off a Ledros/Atrocity my win% is 95%"

    This was an interesting post to read after my last couple days of playing. I was wobbling between an aggressive Demacia Elites deck and a Karma/Lux deck, and noticed that I was thinking harder with the former than the latter. I didn't expect that, since Karma/Lux is a combo deck that needs to do a lot of dancing to stay alive long enough to charge the lazor, but I kind of get where it was coming from now. Trying to figure out which units to use Tattered Banner on, or whether to save mana for Jarvan to leap out of my hand or if I'm better off widening my board, pondering if they're likely to have a damage spell to break Jarvan's Barrier: it's all a lot to track. Lot of fun, though.

  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I dunno when I play aggro it basically boils down to "what do I do to kill them next turn if they don't have X?" And if they have X oh well the games are a minute and a half long and I'll just throw my deck at the next person who won't have X. And sometimes even when they have X they still die because aggro pushes a dumb amount of damage.

    Like you can reliably kill someone turn 4 or 5 depending on attack token, and that was last season. Aggro is so much faster and beefier now.

    3ds FC: 0645 - 7166 - 9801
Sign In or Register to comment.