As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Second Annual [Quarantimes] Thread

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I have a question for the folks who know about vaccine stuff. If a vaccine is said to be 90% effective does that mean that 9 out of 10 vaccinated people will not come down with a disease no matter how much they come into contact with it, or does it mean that every time a vaccinated person is exposed to it they have a 1 in 10 chance of getting sick?

Honestly, depends on who is saying it. Like, we're mostly seeing these effectiveness rates as filtered through several layers of reporting, any one of which might be misunderstanding a statistic.

• Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    The general sense, as I understand it, is something like this:

- Take a group of people and split them into two subgroups.
    - Give one subgroup the vaccine, and don't give the other subgroup the vaccine.
    - Wait a while.
    - Check in with both groups and find out how many of them caught COVID during that time.
    - X% of the no-vaccine group will have been infected. Y% of the vaccine group will have been infected (hopefully less than X%).
    - The difference between X and Y as a percentage is the efficacy rate.
    - Worked example: if 5% of the no-vaccine group caught COVID in the trial period, and 1% of the vaccinated group caught it, that's an 80% efficacy rate-- 1 is 20% of 5, so the rate of infection decreased by 80% of its original value.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    90% decreased rate of catching the disease in a trial group, as compared to an unvaccinated control group
    so you're not immune but it takes a much larger/more prolonged/more unlucky exposure to viral particles for the infection to get a foothold.
    And if you do still get infected, the infections are on average much milder, but assume you're probably still contagious if this happens.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    just goes to show "think of the children" has always been a load of shit pushing some other conservative agenda

republicans really care about bodily autonomy alluva sudden

but only when it's them

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    I have a question for the folks who know about vaccine stuff. If a vaccine is said to be 90% effective does that mean that 9 out of 10 vaccinated people will not come down with a disease no matter how much they come into contact with it, or does it mean that every time a vaccinated person is exposed to it they have a 1 in 10 chance of getting sick?

According to the NPR story I heard, 90% efficacy means that if a vaccinated person is in a situation where there's an X percent chance of catching the disease, then that chance goes down by 90%. So if there's a 2% chance of a person getting sick in a given situation, then with the vaccine that goes down to 0.2%

Narbus on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Going to the horse races tonight. It's a really big open concourse and a weeknight so we won't be crowded in close with a bunch of people.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    put 900 dollars on the fifth horse in the sixth race

• Options

I wasn't budgeted for that tonight but this guy I met by the cages said that for a marginal fee, he and his associates would cover my bet! Wish me luck!

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Bet it all on Red 23.

Is that a joke about not understanding horse betting or is it the name of an actual racehorse?

Fuck you I'll never tell.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Red 23 is far too straightforward to be a horse name in this age. Now they're all called shit like, "Every Good Name Was Taken XXVII".

• Options
    Got our own table out in the sun with some pre-first post nachos and Mt. Rainier is out.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    When Mt. Rainier is visible, it's time for a Rainier Ale, my friend.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Red 23 is far too straightforward to be a horse name in this age. Now they're all called shit like, "Every Good Name Was Taken XXVII".

2ldukvb6jtou.png

• Options
    edited July 2021
    First race! Partner won something! My horse dropped back one position too far right at the end.

Weaver on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Oh thank god, my neighbors still have fireworks left.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Oh thank god, my neighbors still have fireworks left.

I won a little bit of money but I don't know why your neighbors are celebrating.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    All neighbors should be put to the sword.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    And the horse racing industry, while we’re at it

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    This ain't a scene, it's a goddamn horse race.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Won on our last race of the night!

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Mt. Rainier is fine but I'm more of a Mt. Rainiest sort of person

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Mt. Rainier than what?

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Mt. Rainier than what?

Mt Rainer, then the world

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular

I got a girl and she don't have to work
    she can tell which horse is gonna finish in first
    some nights the painkillers make the pain even worse

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Everyone says Mt. Rainier but they're really talking about Mt. Rainier Automata and it's often confusing.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    it's actually Mt. Rainier's monster

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Mt. is short for Maint.

• Options
    Today I went out and had lunch in a restaurant and we did that Oklahoma thing where everyone's phone blows up at once and then we're all relieved that it's an Amber Alert and not a tornado.

Don't look at me like that, the kid's fine. Anyway, nature is healing.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Neighbor informed me that apparently my delivery of two CPAP mask inserts were stolen while I was away over the weekend. I take solace in the fact the thief got a worthless piece of plastic that has no resale value but also I kinda need those replacements because they're already late due to Apria sending me size M instead of L for my big face the first time.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I just got a different CPAP mask myself and trying to get it adjusted right reminds me of when I was untreated and when I was adjusting to using the machine at all! I'm barely sleeping and it kinda hurts!

Getting that tired to my bones feeling is "fun"

At least I actually had dreams last night. One was weird. There was a classroom and we had a big green toad that got loose but it started like splitting into multiple weirder reptile creatures that kept growing and splitting. Kinda freaky.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Oh damn, that reminds me, apparently my machine is part of the big Philips CPAP recall. I should probably react to that letter from my clinic asking for the serial number.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Oh I only just heard of that when I called the supply place about my new mask the other day, they had a prerecorded message about it, mine is a resmed though so I think I'm good.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    Oh damn, that reminds me, apparently my machine is part of the big Philips CPAP recall. I should probably react to that letter from my clinic asking for the serial number.

Here's the link to where you can submit the S/N to your CPAP machine directly to Philips (under the Patients, Users, and Caregivers section):

https://www.usa.philips.com/healthcare/e/sleep/communications/src-update

I checked my machine in about a month ago and submitted my contact info; still waiting to hear back from Philips or my home medical company I'm renting my machine from on when a replacement is coming or how/where to send my machine for the fix.

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • Options
    Oh I only just heard of that when I called the supply place about my new mask the other day, they had a prerecorded message about it, mine is a resmed though so I think I'm good.

Yeah, ResMed sent me an email directly saying "You may have heard some wild shit about cpaps on the news, none of that is us we don't even know what they're trying to do over at Philips, bunch of amateurs."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    this evening I'm going fossil hunting!

It's been a while, but the temperature and tide and timing are all aligning perfectly!

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Didn't find what I hoped, but I got many teeth, an unexpected fossilized piece of coral, an equally unexpected fossilized shrimp burrow, and a small piece of prehistoric turtle shell!

The destination!
    n56qpwf00sqn.jpg

Perfectly stable cliffs
    tlshdvu5cack.jpg

Fossilized shrimp burrow
    cwvz5iwc79if.jpg

Fossilized Coral
    pk7hs7690b3r.jpg

Various Ray plates, shark teeth, and gastropods
    rdckx5xcp014.jpg

Fossilized shark teeth. Mostly sand tiger shark
    4guzb4u9tv9e.jpg

Xaquin on
  • Options
    That's neat. You're neat, and you live in a neat place, and you interact with that place in neat ways. If I'm ever in your neck of the woods, I will exchange beer and baked goods in exchange for a tour of that neck of those woods.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm very jealous of your tooth haul.

• Options
    anyone around the maryland area is welcome along!

at some point I need to figure out shade and the like because I darn near burnt to a crisp today

I'd love to get to calvert cliffs for megalodon teeth but it's just a bit too far for an evening trip

• Options
    Now you can trade the teeth for more dakka.

This discussion has been closed.