As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The best description I ever heard was along the lines of:

"Shovel Knight is how you remember NES games looking. Axiom Verge is what they actually looked like."

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Well this is annoying. AV1 is on sale on PSN for $7, but $17 on the eShop.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Switch tax. DQ11S is on sale for $20 on PS and XB, but still $50 for Switch.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Well, I’ve been playing a brand new game that just came out today for the past ~2 hours. I like it a lot so far. I can’t remember it’s name but I am definitely on the verge of remembering. It’s a sequel and it’s pretty pretty much axiomatic that people, including myself, would play it considering how great the first game is - sequels will be played. I wish I could remember the name.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Oh I remember, it’s Curious Expedition 2.

• Options
    Actually that’s a joke and while I’m sure nobody here makes blind purchases as a result of my endorsements, I do not own nor can I speak to the quality of Curious Expedition, either the original or the sequel.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »

The worst is SquareEnix games on the Switch. You get the SE tax on top of the Switch tax.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular

AV2 is 17.99 on Switch and 19.99 on PSN. That's a first.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited August 2021
    it's also $18 on EGS due to a 10% release sale on a $20 price, so that's probably what's up with the price difference on switch and PS

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Well, I’m five hours into Axiom Verge 2. Here are my non-spoilery thoughts:

- I like it.
    - I like it mote than Axiom Verge 1, which I also liked but had me scratching my head at times.
    - The topography/layout is more logical than Axiom Verge 1.
    - Power-ups and secrets both feel like they are in locations that make sense rather than haphazardly strewn about.

And one potentially spoilery thought. This spoiler is about some mechanics you are introduced to immediately but just in case…
    I much prefer the move to melee combat. In Axiom Verge 1, most of the guns - of which there was a ridiculous number - were pointless/useless. This game is a much tighter combat experience.

• Options
    Is there any story stuff I should be concerned about skipping Axiom Verge 1 and going straight to 2?

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    11S needs a discount on other platforms to make up for inexplicably porting the Switch specific visual downgrades.

• Options
    Is there any story stuff I should be concerned about skipping Axiom Verge 1 and going straight to 2?

I'm at the beginning of the game so all I can tell you is that it has not directly referenced AV1 for me yet except for one concept and the name of one character possibly implying they're a relative or descendant of a minor character from AV1.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    For the past two years i have been uploading my screenshots into a folder on my PC from my switch and apparently after curiously looking at it i have taken 56,190 screenshots.

I uh.. i think i have a problem.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    For the past two years i have been uploading my screenshots into a folder on my PC from my switch and apparently after curiously looking at it i have taken 56,190 screenshots.

Yep, need 43,810 more screenshots.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

You're trying to cause an integer overflow, I'm on to you.

• Options

Not much yet but I’m actually hoping that changes because AV1 had some cliff hangers.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

No no, they only need 13,230 more.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    So I missed the indie showcase and just now found out Axiom Verge 2 is out?!

I absolutely loved the look and sound and mystery of AV1, so AV2 is downloading right now.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular

Damn, I probably have 30 or so and I can guarantee they were all taken by accident.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Contact was great. Thought I was the only person who remembered that game on the DS.

Contact is one of my top games for me to think 'maybe I'll go back and beat that game someday....' and then I don't.

sig.gif
  • Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    I just completed Blaster Master Zero 3, and man, the ending is one of the few that's genuinely brought me to tears. Epic music, combined with some genuinely heartfelt moments from the main cast, really touched me in a way most bigger games haven't. Inti Creates really went all out on this one.

Hopefully, the cover of the soundtrack ( indicates we might see more of the series with a new generation...

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    https://kotaku.com/the-gta-remastered-trilogy-appears-to-be-real-and-comi-1847474620
    After months of rumors and speculation, Kotaku has learned from sources that Rockstar Games may be remastering three classic Grand Theft Auto games. Currently, it appears these games will be released later this fall for a multitude of platforms, including the portable Nintendo Switch.

GthJVzv.png

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    classic meaning the 2D top down ones? those are terrible though

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited August 2021

I assume it's gonna be some combination of GTA3, Vice City, San Andreas, and GTA4 (with the three GTA3 games making the most sense to me)

Edit: I'm pretty sure they know literally no one wants to play GTA before GTA3 :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited August 2021

3, Vice City, and 4 are probably old enough to be considered classic by this point

Edit: clicked through to the article; 3, Vice City, San Andreas

Fry on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »

3, Vice City, and 4 are probably old enough to be considered classic by this point

Edit: clicked through to the article; 3, Vice City, San Andreas

Ah, it's blocked here so I was guessing :P But yeah, that made the most sense - it's all the same engine so it would make a remaster of all three infinitely easier.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Edit: I'm pretty sure they know literally no one wants to play GTA before GTA3 :P

GTA2 is still a good time waster if nothing else, and I even have good memories of Chinatown Wars which was in the same style.

I still have memorized the location of the first tank in GTA2 and I always beeline down to those docks and cause mayhem.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Back in the day, I had a demo disc from some gaming mag (EGM maybe?), and it had the original GTA on it with like a 10 minute timer

I had so much fun causing destruction and seeing if I could stay alive before the timer ended

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

Hard Drive's never ending running gag at the expense of Raspberry Pi and its fans will never fail to make me laugh.

• Options

Actually you need 8,619,119 more.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

i'm not doing any of this math! I assume it makes the calculator say boobies though

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I remember having some fun with the originals before GTA3 was a thing, and like someone else said, chinatown wars was awesome too.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    BTW GTA3 is deceptively more fun than you might think in retrospect.

The story is more rudimentary, but the city is more dynamic and varied than Vice City, and it didn't dive off the deep end into excess like San Andreas. It's still got some of that old school arcadey mayhem feel to it from before things got more simulationist. Some people will see less to do, but there's merit in feeling like you don't have to do all these other things like eat and go on dates and golf and buy businesses. When you sit down to play it you are going to drive around and smash things and shoot things.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited August 2021

i'm not doing any of this math! I assume it makes the calculator say boobies though

If so the number is off.
    Should be 5,261,818. Yeah, I was bored and used a calculator.

Edit: Some things are just not the same...

boobies.jpg

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    The biggest problem I had with the those GTA games was the lack of checkpoints. Though over time, I've gotten a bit tired of R*'s tendency to fill their campaigns with missions that would be side quests in other games. It starts to feel a little tedious after a while.

Still curious to see how GTA3 holds up on Switch. Assuming the rumor is true.

• Options
    edited August 2021
    The biggest problem I had with the those GTA games was the lack of checkpoints. Though over time, I've gotten a bit tired of R*'s tendency to fill their campaigns with missions that would be side quests in other games. It starts to feel a little tedious after a while.

Still curious to see how GTA3 holds up on Switch. Assuming the rumor is true.

As the series progressed more and more missions became one off minigames, which as is normally the case in gaming, grinds the game to a screeching halt and forces you to learn a mechanic divorced from everything else you've been doing all along, and if you just can't get the hang of it you might be screwed.

Like flying RC planes, or flamethrowering a whole field of pot, or doing yoga. Or even precision sniping a bunch of targets, which is within the confines of normal gameplay but might just be outside your skill level.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    Remastered GTA Trilogy?

Feh. Gimme Bully.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    Remastered GTA Trilogy?

Feh. Gimme Bully.

Bully was awesome too. Man, I'm just being reminded how rockstar is a shadow of their former selves. They used to be awesome. Now we get the same game over the span of 3 console generations.

• Options

If so the number is off.
    Should be 5,261,818. Yeah, I was bored and used a calculator.

Edit: Some things are just not the same...

boobies.jpg

You fucking philistines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WTdTwcmxyo

LxX6eco.jpg