As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] Summer Sale: Don't look here, look over there!

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    I love HZD, I can't name anyone after Aloy, Rost and Nils.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    You guys are making those up!

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I get that it's a bunch of hot takes, but I can't wrap my head around people being oblivious to some of the amazing characters in HZD. Ikrie ( <3 ), Erend, Avad, Teersa, Sona, Varl, Talanah... I haven't played this game in months and they're still distinct/memorable to me. That game was amazing in so many ways, not least being the people of its world.

I think I remember more of the about Sobek / Faro / Zero Dawn than I do about the actual events that took place during the game.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Vanasha, you jerks

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    No audio on this PC, when not using HDMI. Not sure why, still having fun

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I get that it's a bunch of hot takes, but I can't wrap my head around people being oblivious to some of the amazing characters in HZD. Ikrie ( <3 ), Erend, Avad, Teersa, Sona, Varl, Talanah... I haven't played this game in months and they're still distinct/memorable to me. That game was amazing in so many ways, not least being the people of its world.

I generally remember all those characters except Ikrie. Which one was she?

But I also remember most of the story beats.

But then just in general I really liked both the characters/story as well as the gameplay of Horizon, and am really looking forward to the sequel.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    @Karoz don't think I failed to notice you giving me a typing game! It's actually on my to play list once I smack Vermintide II around suitably. I really love getting some practice at typing, given that I need to do a couple of large story treatments for some games soon.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    damn it Dover and Karoz ruined the forums.
    Now I need to hear EVERY POST ON EVERY THREAD read like that forever.

Look, I’ll make that happen, but will need to set up a Patreon to get paid. :biggrin:

Do it, you won't.

"MNC Dover" you are a treasure and I appreciate you.

Oh geez, I actually just went to Patreon. I have no idea what I'd do or how I'd do it. What am I going to do, set goals to read Steam thread posts? That seems...not worth anyone's money. :P

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Even Sylens is only really memorable for me because I'm afraid they'll make the character a letdown in any sequels.
    He talks about making a deal with the primary antagonist in exchange for receiving ancient knowledge and talks about things like calculus and science. He could be very compelling if he proceeds to spread knowledge of things like how to culture penicillin, how to make better fertilizers for crops, or other scientific knowledge that helps society rebuild but there's a huge chance he'll be the more boring and typical approach of someone that only wanted the knowledge for himself no matter the cost.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Even Sylens is only really memorable for me because I'm afraid they'll make the character a letdown in any sequels.
    He talks about making a deal with the primary antagonist in exchange for receiving ancient knowledge and talks about things like calculus and science. He could be very compelling if he proceeds to spread knowledge of things like how to culture penicillin, how to make better fertilizers for crops, or other scientific knowledge that helps society rebuild but there's a huge chance he'll be the more boring and typical approach of someone that only wanted the knowledge for himself no matter the cost.
    He wants the knowledge for himself no matter the cost. Every interaction with his character says this. At no point does he ever care about other people, he specifically berates Aloy several times when she shows compassion and empathy.

Fuck Sylens.

Kalnaur wrote: »

I generally remember all those characters except Ikrie. Which one was she?

But I also remember most of the story beats.

But then just in general I really liked both the characters/story as well as the gameplay of Horizon, and am really looking forward to the sequel.

Ikrie is Aloy's girlfriend.

In my head. But hopefully in the game too if they know what's good and staring them in the face.
    F7A0C1EF3E5426B58E0514DE85A9A86525879E39

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I fucking lost it when I scrolled down while listening to that, saw the hot take from Santa, and suddenly, "HO HO HO"

Goddammit, Dover. There is hard root beer impacted deep within my nasal cavity now. It's never leaving. It wants to stay.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    I fucking lost it when I scrolled down while listening to that, saw the hot take from Santa, and suddenly, "HO HO HO"

Goddammit, Dover. There is hard root beer impacted deep within my nasal cavity now. It's never leaving. It wants to stay.

Mission Accomplished!

I was just looking at people's avatars and making voices up on the fly. Along with being fun, it was a good freestyle voice exercise.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

Mission Accomplished!

I was just looking at people's avatars and making voices up on the fly. Along with being fun, it was a good freestyle voice exercise.

My avatar, my eye, was from a picture of me glaring, taken specifically to use as reference for a portrait of sorts with me as a necromancer that I never finished, and the voice would have been perfect.

So I'm not sure if you just intuit well or if the intent came through it my crappy avatar, but it's gonna make me smile when I think about it.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    He wants the knowledge for himself no matter the cost. Every interaction with his character says this. At no point does he ever care about other people, he specifically berates Aloy several times when she shows compassion and empathy.

Fuck Sylens.

He's also kind of a self-aggrandizing moron.
    I found it hilarious when he was all "yes, the world is round, contain your surprise", and Aloy's reaction was "...duh? You can literally see it?"

Because the absolute matter of fact way she says it tells me that it's not one of those things she knows only because her Focus showed her - she's usually understanding that people can't know what she knows in those cases. She's confused that anyone would think otherwise, which tells me she considers this an obvious bit of knowledge, which implies the Nora are perfectly aware of the world being round. But Sylex, obviously, would never think to consider what might a bunch of savages like the Nora have to show him, because he's entirely superior to them.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options

In my head. But hopefully in the game too if they know what's good and staring them in the face.

Wait, is she that gal that you save during that one quest in the DLC that ends up at the hunting grounds, or is that someone else?

We've already gone over how I didn't catch "flirting" as coming from any of the NPCs in that game (I mean, excluding the sun king but I just figured that was grief talking because reasons), so I'll take you at your word that they make a good couple.

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    I am immortalized as faux-British aristocracy who indulges in suspiciously America-centric gunwank between his afternoon tea and evening brandy. My life is a series of nested lies and pointless pretense, and enjoyment of empty spectacle is the one bit of truth I allow myself. The only giveaway is a Captain Price bobblehead that I insist "the nephew must have left here."

Yeah, that sounds about right :+1:

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular

Wait, is she that gal that you save during that one quest in the DLC that ends up at the hunting grounds, or is that someone else?

We've already gone over how I didn't catch "flirting" as coming from any of the NPCs in that game (I mean, excluding the sun king but I just figured that was grief talking because reasons), so I'll take you at your word that they make a good couple.

That's her, yes.

Honestly it's mostly wishes and headcanon, but there's enough structure there to build upon that i've made a nice house and settled myself in it. <3 Ikrie

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I held it together until Turd in a Punchbowl, and then immediately lost my shit. I still haven't found it.

Bravo sir.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Drascin wrote: »

Fuck Sylens.

He's also kind of a self-aggrandizing moron.
    I found it hilarious when he was all "yes, the world is round, contain your surprise", and Aloy's reaction was "...duh? You can literally see it?"

Because the absolute matter of fact way she says it tells me that it's not one of those things she knows only because her Focus showed her - she's usually understanding that people can't know what she knows in those cases. She's confused that anyone would think otherwise, which tells me she considers this an obvious bit of knowledge, which implies the Nora are perfectly aware of the world being round. But Sylex, obviously, would never think to consider what might a bunch of savages like the Nora have to show him, because he's entirely superior to them.

You got the quote wrong which shows a different spin.
    She actually said that's obvious because the shadow of the earth on the moon is round, which shows that Aloy, herself, worked it out. Not the Nora (I very much doubt the Nora know this).

This is a sign of her high intelligence

And that sign is some rather nifty foreshadowing too considering her origins.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    the nora suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck
    actually every tribe sucks

carja are hoighty toity and prone to murder rampages
    oseram are tall fantasy dwarves that are sexist
    banuk are way into the honor bullshit

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

Mission Accomplished!

Ah well now I know what a Jackface actually sounds like.

And it checks out!

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Ugghhh....done with Life Is Strange. Feelings were had. I have a compulsive need to charge my DSLR and be a hipster.
    I sacrificed Chloe and dated Warren. I was hella sick of Chloe's shit and was not going to let her drag Max down.

I'm not saying the whole damn game screaming "this girl wasn't meant to be happy" isn't a problem, but I take what the game gives me, not what I want it to be.

Life is Strange is groundbreaking for female protagonists, and I look forward to True Colors.

I'm grudgingly playing Before the Storm because I'm curious about a certain character's motivations.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »
    Ugghhh....done with Life Is Strange. Feelings were had. I have a compulsive need to charge my DSLR and be a hipster.
    I sacrificed Chloe and dated Warren. I was hella sick of Chloe's shit and was not going to let her drag Max down.

I'm not saying the whole damn game screaming "this girl wasn't meant to be happy" isn't a problem, but I take what the game gives me, not what I want it to be.

Life is Strange is groundbreaking for female protagonists, and I look forward to True Colors.

I'm grudgingly playing Before the Storm because I'm curious about a certain character's motivations.

Should I pretend that the series is set in the Marvel Universe before they all were called mutants?

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

Should I pretend that the series is set in the Marvel Universe before they all were called mutants?

Can anyone familiar with Marvel answer this?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited April 2021

That's her, yes.

Honestly it's mostly wishes and headcanon, but there's enough structure there to build upon that i've made a nice house and settled myself in it. <3 Ikrie

I'm either immune to said structural set-up or just utterly unable to ship people. Like, I've never paired off two characters outside of the main canon of a story, it just doesn't occur to me to do so. If the thing doesn't have those two people together, they're not together for me.

But you stay cozy in that house! I'm good with folks having their ideal couples and such!

Kalnaur on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Wildermyth is getting a price increase on May 1st with the intent to release to 1.0 version soon.

Just want to say that you all should really consider getting this.

Gameplay is like XCOM (though usually more forgiving, even before you get to the They-just-get-maimed mechanic) but the real treat comes with the party and the dynamic stories that come out of it. Devs really went all out to make sure nearly any combo of personality and relationship is shown in the events and dialog despite the fact all the characters are randomly generated.

Not to mention, in proper homage to the type of PnP storytelling they're trying to envoke, so many Things Man Was Not Meant to Meddle With that can see party members turn into various forms of humanoid abominations over the course of the campaign.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    Seems like @Pixelated Pixie listens to Mal. Boo.
    Yuri visual novels are always welcome though. Thank you. <3<3

ejwtfd29p08d.jpg

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    the nora suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck
    actually every tribe sucks

carja are hoighty toity and prone to murder rampages
    oseram are tall fantasy dwarves that are sexist
    banuk are way into the honor bullshit

It is post apocalypse, even good guys have to at least have some horrible dark secret, nobody is allowed to be unambiguously good.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Corsini wrote: »
    The ending of Pillars of Eternity is a disappointment, and the conspiracy is unnecessary. I feel like the authors had never observed actual humans.

Yes... For a game generally well written, the premise behind the ending is kind of a head scratcher.
    Game: Shocker the gods aren’t real!

Me: oh wow so Eothas and Woedica and all those guys don’t exist?

Game:nah they are totally real and have godlike powers

Me: so the afterlife and souls and reincarnation aren’t real?

Game: nah that shit is all real too

Me: but the priesthood’s aren’t real and the preists are charlantans?

Game: No people do talk to gods and get powers and shit if they like them.

Me: so what is the problem?

Game: Well the gods aren’t natural but were created by an ancient empire through morally questionable means.

Me: so the big deal is that the gods have a cool origin story? No one is going to care that much at all about this, the people big in animancy have probably already guessed it, and most people aren’t even going to believe it if it gets out or give a shit if they do. Also wasn’t this the plot of Morrowind?

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    All I was doing was saying hi to people in chat, after returning from a work trip involving...printers. And then @Pixelated Pixie decided that I needed to enter the restaurant industry
    bocHl5E.png

Thanks for Tastemaker: Restaurant Simulator, Pixie! - it looks like it may scratch the Restaurant empire itch well.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    Antoshka wrote: »
    All I was doing was saying hi to people in chat, after returning from a work trip involving...printers. And then @Pixelated Pixie decided that I needed to enter the restaurant industry
    bocHl5E.png

Thanks for Tastemaker: Restaurant Simulator, Pixie! - it looks like it may scratch the Restaurant empire itch well.

Build bathrooms.

Or don't. I'm just a bug with a gun.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Sony patents an AI bot that will play your games for you
    The AI profile starts with a basic set of behaviours but adds to these in response to monitoring the player's actions, so as to make similar decisions to that player. The end goal is an AI profile that will play games in a similar way to that player. The player then has the option of letting the AI take over and play the game on their behalf.

. . . While one take on this is a nightmarish future where we end up with games being played by AI versions of ourselves against other AI players, the alternative is a way for multiplayer games to continue even when you have to take a break to eat, take a toilet break, or do some work. It could also help gamers that have accessibility needs.

The writer is missing the possibility for this AI to help us clear our backlogs while we sleep or work.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    But will the AI make wildly irresponsible loot decisions, get overburdened with 2500 lbs of dishes cumulatively worth 11 gold, then try to eat all the food and drink all the potions to get mobile again, and die instantly upon leaving the menu from all the poisons and uncooked meat? Because if it's not going to play properly I'm not letting it play at all.

Hevach on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    The first step was charging people for DLC that unlocks everything in a game as a "time saver". Now we will have AI that will play the game for you.

The next step is an AI assistant that is hooked into your bank account that selects a game, buys it, plays it through to completion, then sends you a link to its review of the game so you can tell if you liked it or not.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    I made an AI play 1000s of steam games and now it is making its own steam game!

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021

I'd rather see an AI watch thousands of hours of Steam chat and then join.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

I'd rather see an AI watch thousands of hours of Steam chat and then join.

I'm fairly certain that this qualifies as child abuse.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    How about an AI that can play RPG Maker?

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Is the DLC for Battletech any good? GOG's having a fairly big sale on it.

wVEsyIc.png
This discussion has been closed.