Options

[Steam] Summer Sale: Don't look here, look over there!

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Re: dogs in games, I've been playing Dragon Quest XI and I have found so many cats that are all pettable and they respond when you pet them.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, the fun and silly tricks that other games just leave in, Platinum uses as core and side mechanics in their games to encourage players interested in higher skill play to engage in exploiting those mechanics for great effect.

Or you can just play the game at the level most people probably play at and still have fun; that's what I do with their games.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Madican wrote: »
    Re: dogs in games, I've been playing Dragon Quest XI and I have found so many cats that are all pettable and they respond when you pet them.

I need to get back to that game at some point.

...but the 1-2-3 punch of going to the town of Phnom Nonh to enter the ruins of Nhou Wat to fight Dora-in-Grey broke me, and I'm still recovering..

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    My deaths in stalker clear sky are from checking my PDA while wild hogs are around.
    Clear sky complete is installed and it is glorious.
    святе лайно

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think we're just not gonna see eye to eye on this stuff regarding animation cancels in Vanquish. Instead of talking about them, how do you feel about that one marine with the callsign Super 35 (or maybe it's his dropship's designation or his unit's designation, w/e) who's introduced by suddenly popping up on the comms and saying "Super 35!"?

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    cB557 wrote: »
    Yeah, I think we're just not gonna see eye to eye on this stuff regarding animation cancels in Vanquish. Instead of talking about them, how do you feel about that one marine with the callsign Super 35 (or maybe it's his dropship's designation or his unit's designation, w/e) who's introduced by suddenly popping up on the comms and saying "Super 35!"?

He's cool, but did you spot Mikami?

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options

I don't believe so. That the developer guy you were talking about last page?

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

I don't believe so. That the developer guy you were talking about last page?

Director yes. Shinji Mikami. He's the soldier Sam saves on the train when it first starts pulling away when you get on. I also think he might rock up later as a regular soldier?

edit: Just realised you meant the head gameplay designer. Nah that guys name is Hiroki Kato.

https://www.destructoid.com/stories/god-hand-and-vanquish-designer-is-a-farmer-now-270883.phtml

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Mid way spoilers for Death Stranding: Mads' character "Cliff" Unger deserves Dad of the year 10,000x more than fail dads like Joel from TLoU or even dare I say Lee from Walking Dead.
    Dude not only claws his way out of literal, physical hell for his kid, he brings hell with him.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    But yeah that dude saying Super 35 is one of those random lines from a faceless NPC that're really funny to me for no explicable reason. I think the way it went was like, a marine pops up on the comms and is like "Super 35!" and I was momentarily very confused by that, as one might be. Before I had time to process that, Burns was like "Ah, Super 35! Good to hear from you!" and so realize that the reason he said Super 35 is because that's his callsign. And then I realize wait no, that still doesn't explain why he said that, why did he randomly shout his name? But I don't have time to think about that, because then I realize that Burns actually sounded genuinely glad to hear from Super 35, and I don't think he sounds happy to hear from a single other character in the entire game. But I don't have time to think about that either, because now they're talking about the next objective so I need to pay attention to that.

And now I'm just sitting here at 2 AM, remembering that moment of sudden confusion, and it's setting me giggling for some reason.

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Mikami games have tons of that sort of stuff.

I remember in Godhand when the bus rocks up in that cutscene out of nowhere, and someone watching behind me said "A bus?" and then Gene immediately said "A bus?" in the cutscene and now I can't watch that cutscene without hearing that line twice.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »

I need to get back to that game at some point.

...but the 1-2-3 punch of going to the town of Phnom Nonh to enter the ruins of Nhou Wat to fight Dora-in-Grey broke me, and I'm still recovering..

I will say that DQ 11's pun game is very on point and I appreciate it.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I can't speak highly of the gameplay, but Transformers: Devastation looks absolutely incredible. I'm not one for graphics, so the art style has to be on point for me to care.

That style is how the movies and animations should have looked.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    Platinum have hit and miss overall games in terms of story, variety, etc, but so far (I haven't played TMNT mind you) I haven't encountered one of their core character action games that did not have rock solid mechanics. Even Korra was a blast purely mechanics wise, even if the rest of the game wasn't the best. Transformers is legit the best large scale multiple enemy character action game combat system ever crafted. I could write about that game for hours. It's story mode is poop but it's combat challenges and game mechanics are sublime.

I have this avatar for a reason!

2wpzcse1l6nm.png

It's one of the most annoying things of all time that they literally removed it from Steam so it can't even be bought anymore. All over licensing issues.

I hope some day it can come back and I can finally buy it, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Mikami games have tons of that sort of stuff.

I remember in Godhand when the bus rocks up in that cutscene out of nowhere, and someone watching behind me said "A bus?" and then Gene immediately said "A bus?" in the cutscene and now I can't watch that cutscene without hearing that line twice.

"You're not a human, are you!?"

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    subedii wrote: »
    Platinum have hit and miss overall games in terms of story, variety, etc, but so far (I haven't played TMNT mind you) I haven't encountered one of their core character action games that did not have rock solid mechanics. Even Korra was a blast purely mechanics wise, even if the rest of the game wasn't the best. Transformers is legit the best large scale multiple enemy character action game combat system ever crafted. I could write about that game for hours. It's story mode is poop but it's combat challenges and game mechanics are sublime.

2wpzcse1l6nm.png

It's one of the most annoying things of all time that they literally removed it from Steam so it can't even be bought anymore. All over licensing issues.

I hope some day it can come back and I can finally buy it, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm afraid to uninstall it. Just in case.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    So based on all this, I can't decide if Platinum is the best there ever was and this is the greatest shooter ever made or... not...

>.>

As a dev, they're extremely hit and miss, but I have a hard time finding fault with the argument that Vanquish is the best 3PS ever made.

Honestly I couldn’t say that at all.

I cannot recall a single memorable moment or anything from the game. I have played it, but couldn’t remember a thing about it. It was not memorable in any way.

Gears 2 was not a great game, but even today I still yell “It’s a giant worm!!!” to amuse myself. So while I think Vanquish was good mechanically, it was so sterile and boring in every single other respect I cannot remember anything about it.

I don’t even remember what the robot enemies were called.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Now that's what I call a hot take.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Now that's what I call a hot take.

I tried to remember anything about the game that made it stand out other than core mechanics and couldn’t think of a single thing. It was pretty bland and boring from my perspective.

As a comparison, I can remember so much about Bayonetta off the top of my head, from specific enemies to scenes and even dialog. Vanquish just left zero impression on me. It just wasn’t great in any memorable way.

*shrug*

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Nah man Im not gonna argue with you about your subjective preferences. Obviously I thought it was rad but we dont all have to like the same stuff.
    Its cool.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I want to recommend It Takes Two to friends who have kids and SOs that like gaming but I'm not sure if it's on other platforms (I'm still checking).

Anyone know if it's on Switch or PS, or has planned release?

• Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I mentioned it was a nice day. @Malakaius wanted to make it even nicer. <3<3 Thank you Mal.
    kek338ws7lts.jpg

Isorn on
  • Options
    I may have to try playing Vermintide II with friends. The relentless grinding plus lack of really visceral feeling to the first person combat (aka Dark Messiah of Might and Magic) have given me severe whiplash. Gone from enjoying the game immensely to being frustrated and bored with it in only a few days.

I really want another first person melee combat game with great feeling sword combat :(

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I want to recommend It Takes Two to friends who have kids and SOs that like gaming but I'm not sure if it's on other platforms (I'm still checking).

A quick look at the googles says it's "PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X and Series S, Microsoft Windows"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I may have to try playing Vermintide II with friends. The relentless grinding plus lack of really visceral feeling to the first person combat (aka Dark Messiah of Might and Magic) have given me severe whiplash. Gone from enjoying the game immensely to being frustrated and bored with it in only a few days.

I really want another first person melee combat game with great feeling sword combat :(

If you don't mind one of your teammates being a Kruber who thinks it's hilarious to use his charge to smash through everything and shield punt rats off of cliffs at every opportunity I'll play Vermintide II with you sometime.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »

A quick look at the googles says it's "PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X and Series S, Microsoft Windows"

Thanks!

• Options
    MalakaiusMalakaius KalamazooRegistered User regular
    @Pixelated Pixie "Missed"
    545lud1kaf7g.jpg
    Thank you for Ocean's Heart, this looks like a really charming 2d Zelda clone, can't wait to give it a whirl! <3

PSN: Malakaius- | Steam: Malakaius Switch: SW-4569-5525-1983
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

2wpzcse1l6nm.png

Yeah, the thing was only on sale at all for like two years. Not long in this day and age. Weird how all the licenses seemed to expire at once (this, the Cybertron games, maybe more, I'm not sure). I was genuinely shocked Devastation got pulled so soon.

2wpzcse1l6nm.png

I'm afraid to uninstall it. Just in case.

Fear not, it can be reinstalled. Source: that's what I'm doing right now.

4uwznvfkolvu.jpg

Custom background and logo courtesy of Google Image Search, but presented here for your delectation:
    e4152uyq1fn4.jpg
    5dttzr4rqf94.png

To look something like this:

ja86r7ns0bcn.jpg

Jazz on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    Well after slacking off for a a bit, Darkness II is off the backlog. I think I'll play The Messenger next.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    tacticalheadachetacticalheadache Registered User regular

2wpzcse1l6nm.png

That is one of the hidden gems in my library. I wish more people got the chance to play this game.

The game is pretty short, but it's still pretty fun and has good replay value. It's a shame Activision pulled it from Steam. :(

• Options

2wpzcse1l6nm.png

That is one of the hidden gems in my library. I wish more people got the chance to play this game.

The game is pretty short, but it's still pretty fun and has good replay value. It's a shame Activision pulled it from Steam. :(

Yeah, physical console copies are the only way to get it now, I think. At least it was cross-gen so there's four platforms to choose from (Xbox 360/One, PS3/4, obviously X1 and PS4 are more sensible going forward) and it's not stupid expensive yet. Shockingly, Amazon (both US and UK) appear to still have new copies, which was unexpected, I'd have thought you'd only find it used now.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Oh hey I bought that game from a redbox of all places for 5 bucks a few years ago. Great game. Stupid that it cannot be bought digitally anymore.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Video Game licensing is weird.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Video Game licensing is weird.

+ Activision sucks.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Mid way spoilers for Death Stranding: Mads' character "Cliff" Unger deserves Dad of the year 10,000x more than fail dads like Joel from TLoU or even dare I say Lee from Walking Dead.
    Dude not only claws his way out of literal, physical hell for his kid, he brings hell with him.

MY EMOTIONS!

RE: Clear Sky
    святе лайно

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »
    korodullin wrote: »
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I guess humble is adding a restriction. The new max for the charity donations is 15% of your payment.

My interest level in Humble's offerings dropped dramatically after IGN bought them out and started doing an extremely heavy focus on pushing their monthly subscription service, and this is pretty much the final nail in the coffin for me.

I've always donated to good charities and I (like most people, apparently, given this change) used Humble as a way to get some neat bundles for my contribution, but once I stopped being interested in the offered bundles I just started donating directly again.

I picked up their video and music software bundle Thursday.

I spend yesterday scrubbing malware from one of the lesser programs from the bundle.

Oof, big fucking yikes.

I mean, I hardly pay attention to much of anything on there any more except if I see something from a publisher I already know. But goddamn, if they're not even malware-scanning the shit they're selling, it's just showing you really can't trust these fuckers any more on a lot of these software bundles.

And trying to sneak the "lol we're donating the bare minimum to charity" bullshit through there is just fucking stupid, especially when Child's Play does a lot with them. Only a matter of time before they really get dumped on for this...

I have an update to this incident.

When I complained to Humble Bundle about malware in the video bundle, they said it was likely a false positive.

Between Humble Bundle and Hitman Pro, I trust the latter more. Furthemore, they may be technically correct that the software is clean. But again, the malware didn't appear until I gradually uninstalled everything except Vegas Pro.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    And I was eyeing up that bundle. Drat.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Going through my humble bundles and redeeming keys.

Apparently ~45 is the point where Steam stops letting you redeem keys.

e: Was probably 50 because there was some DLC in there.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    OrivonOrivon Happy Fun Ball They/ThemRegistered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Going through my humble bundles and redeeming keys.

Apparently ~45 is the point where Steam stops letting you redeem keys.

e: Was probably 50 because there was some DLC in there.

Depends on how long it takes you. If you really take your time you can redeem 100 codes without getting locked out.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Which you know from experience

This discussion has been closed.