As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The US Congress

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Edit: wrong thread

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Edit: damn you Josh!

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    There's an interesting wrinkle in that Stone wanted payment from Greenberg in bitcoin. Some of you might remember that there were several large sums of bitcoin paid out to multiple different right wing trolls/instigators before the Jan 6 riot.

• Options
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    There's an interesting wrinkle in that Stone wanted payment from Greenberg in bitcoin. Some of you might remember that there were several large sums of bitcoin paid out to multiple different right wing trolls/instigators before the Jan 6 riot.

I thought that’s what Greenberg offered because he used his county office and taxpayer dollars to build a mining farm in his county office and presumably had a lot of Bitcoin available

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular

I thought that’s what Greenberg offered because he used his county office and taxpayer dollars to build a mining farm in his county office and presumably had a lot of Bitcoin available

That would make a lot more sense. I can't keep track of all the different scams these dudes are running anymore.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular

I certainly hope so. Bitcoin is highly traceable. You can't trace used $20 bills, but every bitcoin has a list of every person who has ever owned it.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

Don't forget that trying to DIY install/setup said farm/rig he wound up setting his office on fire.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »
    Like at best a sitting congressman in the party of moral authority is saying “I paid for sex with many young women, I assumed they were over 18, and I didn’t directly pay for their transport across state lines, therefore I’m being railroaded!”

Truely a decent man who deserves to represent the people of florida

Also I forgot that some of this might have come from improperly used campaign funds? Jesus Christ. Fuck qanon and every morally outraged idiot who is convinced that liberals are eating babies, when this exists and they don’t give a shit because in their minds they probably don’t consider a 17 year old a child, and likely write her off as duplicitous and a prostitute and therefore not worthy of their concern

Moral authority my ass. These people pay lip service to a religion because there are a whole lot of idiots that equate belief with morality. But not even all belief, it’s not like any of the Democrats that are religious (including Biden, a devout Catholic) get moral majority cred.

Conservatism is its own religion with its own tenets now, and if a conservative politician pays a child to fuck them, it must be okay, because they are still bringing Supply Side Jesus to the halls of Congress.

Republicans, whether they be corporate marionettes or douchey frat boys, are completely hollow. No actual convictions other than what gains them more money, power, or pleasure. Even the guy most people think of as a “principled” Republican, Mitt Romney, is silent as the goddamn grave about Gaetz. Contrast this with the treatment Al Franken got from Democrats for lesser (but still disqualifying for a US Senator) behavior. Calls for his resignation were nigh-immediate and practically universal.

I know I’m ranting here but it’s been an exposed nerve for a while. There are plenty of religious Democrats. The only thing that counts as moral authority to Republicans, though, is party membership.

Like again, if we compare this to Franken (who was indeed creepy and inappropriate before becoming a senator) it should be pointed out that while he hadn't understood how inappropriate his actions were Chuck schumer did and informed him that he could either resign or be censured.

By comparison we have a congressman with a taste for young meat violating federal law and they have been conspicuously silent.

They are indeed hollow, devoid of any real ethics or values.

It's also true that if Franken had just decided to shrug and not do anything about the situation, he'd probably still be a Senator. Shame is basically the only reason he's out.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »
    Like at best a sitting congressman in the party of moral authority is saying “I paid for sex with many young women, I assumed they were over 18, and I didn’t directly pay for their transport across state lines, therefore I’m being railroaded!”

Truely a decent man who deserves to represent the people of florida

Also I forgot that some of this might have come from improperly used campaign funds? Jesus Christ. Fuck qanon and every morally outraged idiot who is convinced that liberals are eating babies, when this exists and they don’t give a shit because in their minds they probably don’t consider a 17 year old a child, and likely write her off as duplicitous and a prostitute and therefore not worthy of their concern

Moral authority my ass. These people pay lip service to a religion because there are a whole lot of idiots that equate belief with morality. But not even all belief, it’s not like any of the Democrats that are religious (including Biden, a devout Catholic) get moral majority cred.

Conservatism is its own religion with its own tenets now, and if a conservative politician pays a child to fuck them, it must be okay, because they are still bringing Supply Side Jesus to the halls of Congress.

Republicans, whether they be corporate marionettes or douchey frat boys, are completely hollow. No actual convictions other than what gains them more money, power, or pleasure. Even the guy most people think of as a “principled” Republican, Mitt Romney, is silent as the goddamn grave about Gaetz. Contrast this with the treatment Al Franken got from Democrats for lesser (but still disqualifying for a US Senator) behavior. Calls for his resignation were nigh-immediate and practically universal.

I know I’m ranting here but it’s been an exposed nerve for a while. There are plenty of religious Democrats. The only thing that counts as moral authority to Republicans, though, is party membership.

Like again, if we compare this to Franken (who was indeed creepy and inappropriate before becoming a senator) it should be pointed out that while he hadn't understood how inappropriate his actions were Chuck schumer did and informed him that he could either resign or be censured.

By comparison we have a congressman with a taste for young meat violating federal law and they have been conspicuously silent.

They are indeed hollow, devoid of any real ethics or values.

It's also true that if Franken had just decided to shrug and not do anything about the situation, he'd probably still be a Senator. Shame is basically the only reason he's out.

He was also smart enough to know that this would be used against both him and the party if he didn't.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    I think Gaetz is toast. This letter is not some investigation with the details kept secret. This is very public and, more importantly, very juicy for the 24 news cycle. It can still be fought against, but Gaetz doesn't have enough clout or power for the party to be worth it. The smart thing to do would be to resign.

• Options
    Nobeard wrote: »
    I think Gaetz is toast. This letter is not some investigation with the details kept secret. This is very public and, more importantly, very juicy for the 24 news cycle. It can still be fought against, but Gaetz doesn't have enough clout or power for the party to be worth it. The smart thing to do would be to resign.

His mentor Trump has shown him that the path to power is to never admit wrong and never resign. Of course, this generally is a bit harder if you aren't filthy rich.

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular

His mentor Trump has shown him that the path to power is to never admit wrong and never resign. Of course, this generally is a bit harder if you aren't filthy rich.

Trump was the head of the party. Gaetz is a nobody hanger on.

He’s toast and he just refuses to admit it.

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Maybe he should go back on Fox news and ask everybody if they know who his Dad is

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

He is, in fact, filthy rich.

• Options
    jmcdonald wrote: »

Trump was the head of the party. Gaetz is a nobody hanger on.

He’s toast and he just refuses to admit it.

This is pretty much the sum total of it; Gaetz has been around for a while to be sure and could have been a next gen republican, but a combination of him having not really acomplished much beyond humiliating himself with scandal after scandal and putting his foot in his mouth. If anyone was going to come to his defense they would have done it by now.

• Options
    I mean

Are there any polls from his district?

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Lack of shame makes it so he can stick around a long time
    I doubt the GOP would vote to expel him even if hes indicted.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    The GOP doesn't ascribe to any form of consequences or accountability. They ran Roy Moore for Senate!

Gaetz is out only as soon as someone else backstabs him to take his position and not a moment before. Even not in congress he'll still be part of the Conservosphere - only actual prison time will stop that

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Again his own party has done nothing to him, they will do nothing to him and the democrats can not touch him.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Again his own party has done nothing to him, they will do nothing to him and the democrats can not touch him.

He can be stripped of Committees. Which is likely to occur with the indictment.

• Options
    moniker wrote: »

oh no not stripped of committees. Do you think they'll even be able to get that?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Law enforcement on the other hand is liable to drag him off to prison by his short hairs.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

He is, in fact, filthy rich.

Not rich enough!

• Options

Law enforcement on the other hand is liable to drag him off to prison by his short hairs.

A sitting US congressman? Highly doubtful especially not with a democratic admin.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

A sitting US congressman?

It's pretty traditional at this point.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

I believe indictment is an automatic stripping, so that's what will happen. The moral cowardice of the GOP can absolutely be counted on here

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Some of y'all have not had to walk past the butcher paper covered windows of your elected official's office to get constituent services, and it shows.

moniker on
  • Options
    I'd be willing to lay money Matt Gaetz will be a congressman until he himself retires. This will not touch him.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

For the party yes, they will put another R hack in his place just as easily as they put Gaetz there. But for Gaetz? He needs to have as much power as possible to fight the FBI. If he resigns he goes to prison (probably within the week) unless there is a deal already accepted by a judge (that isn't likely to get overturned).

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options

A sitting US congressman? Highly doubtful especially not with a democratic admin.

Dude appears to be guilty of multiple sex crimes involving barely legal teens, there is a witness testifying to it and providing evidence to corroborate and good odds that some of these girls will testify as well.

Cases have been won on far, far less.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Today in the continuing game of fuck Joe Manchin or nah he's just in a hard state to win. he's announced he's against DC statehood. So that's dead even in a world where he's convinced to nuke the filibuster.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Can someone please tell me what exactly is stopping Manchin from switching parties the next time he's up for re-election and running on everything he prevented the Democrats from doing?

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    I don't think he gives a shit if he gets reelected, is the thing

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Can someone please tell me what exactly is stopping Manchin from switching parties the next time he's up for re-election and running on everything he prevented the Democrats from doing?

Losing the primary to a real Republican?

• Options
    Today in the continuing game of fuck Joe Manchin or nah he's just in a hard state to win. he's announced he's against DC statehood. So that's dead even in a world where he's convinced to nuke the filibuster.

Jesus christ just for once in your life do the right thing you distended length of rectum.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

1) He wants to have power and being a junior member of a 51-49 edge in the Senate without the House or White House is less powerful than his current status where he has a powerful committee chairmanship and what not.
    2) He'd get primaried in 5 seconds because he is extremely liberal...compared to the GOP.
    3) He does have some deep underlying commitment to the Democratic Party is his youth, which was very Clintony.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

1) He wants to have power and being a junior member of a 51-49 edge in the Senate without the House or White House is less powerful than his current status where he has a powerful committee chairmanship and what not.
    2) He'd get primaried in 5 seconds because he is extremely liberal...compared to the GOP.
    3) He does have some deep underlying commitment to the Democratic Party is his youth, which was very Clintony.

Also the GOP caucus would not put up with his shit for a fraction of a second. Murkowski won a write in and is publicly less disruptive to her party.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Murkowski won because enough people had buyers remorse over the Republican who beat her in the primary, most do to being a Teaper and having a minor ethics scandel. I doubt that would happen again if it came down to it, but thanks to ranked choice, it won't happen again.

• Options
    Joe Manchin can't be a Republican in West Virginia because he's practically a communist compared to the Republicans there.

• Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    I think you guys are underestimating the value of a DINO-turned-republican, especially one who is leaving the door wide open for the GOP to retake at least one of the branches.

This discussion has been closed.