As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

i'm not even sure what a [movie] is

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    No but there is something wrong with a lot of people who are straight edge

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    cm punk played the main character in that and I found out recently that he's a cop now

straight edge folks, y'all

Is something wrong with being straight edge?

explicitly? no

but every straightedge person I've ever met has been a straight up narc or a no-stop fascist

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Every straightedge person I've encountered has had the evangelical Christian "I have better morals than you, I am your superior, my life choices make me righteous" thing going on and those people scared the bejeesus out of me because there is nothing someone who believes themselves to be justified and righteous in all things is not capable of.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I have a 93 year old grandmother whom to the best of my knowledge has never had an alcoholic or caffienated beverage ever once in her daunting span of life and it is not a religious thing or if it is a religious thing she has never told anyone about it

That said valium doesnt count

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Straight edges don't get around much...

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Growing up, I knew a lot of straight edgers who were genuinely nice and good people, so I don't like to see them stereotyped like that.

Heck, I'm basically straight edge, apart from their predilection to getting in mosh pits.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    There's a difference between not drinking/doing drugs and being straight edge. Given that it's a voluntary personal identifier that means a lot of the people who choose to say they are have similar mindsets.

Not enough to make me run for the hills on its own, but i'll definitely be keeping an eye out for other behaviors.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    There's a difference between not drinking/doing drugs and being straight edge. Given that it's a voluntary personal identifier that means a lot of the people who choose to say they are have similar mindsets.

Not enough to make me run for the hills on its own, but i'll definitely be keeping an eye out for other behaviors.

That's fair, that's the main reason I never identified as straight edge, but there are some people in that group who aren't as crazy as the stereotype suggests. I used to go to a lot of Christian alternative and metal concerts, so I ran into a lot of people in that group more often than not.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Henry Rollins is kind of straight edge, isn't he?

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Last time I was in a scene was, like, 2005? 2006? Been a fuckin' while, at any rate.

I was 18 or 19, going to the shows where that was okay, so most of the straightedge folks I interacted with were under 21. Which meant it was a lot of folks having a huffy, puritanical vibe about some shit they couldn't legally do anyway. Putting X's on their hands to demonstrate how fervently and publicly they were... following rules.

Maybe the straightedge ethos has evolved since then, I dunno - I grew outta scenes. But my memories of straightedge kids are mostly, "Oh, that fuckin' guy."

• Options
    The straight edgers I knew loved Jesus, hated drugs, and would absolutely break faces in a mosh pit, which I found to be a unique interpretation of the scripture, but hey, do what ye will.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Fuck me I guess for genuinely not liking alcohol or going to places.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Going to places is terrifying

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Yeah, nothing wrong with not partaking.

I was that high school kid vocally abstaining from intoxicants and sexual activity as a personal choice, no judgment on my friends making different ones.

Having a holier-than-thou attitude is always going to set my teeth on edge, whatever the flavor of self-righteousness. Straight-edge folk have that rep for a reason, as it's just as often a (secular) evangelical movement for people seeking to justify their personal choices, and that's not even addressing the ones who get violently aggressive about it. Cliques gonna clique.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I grew up in a smoking household, so I can't stand the smell (or touch, etc; it's "dirty") of most tobacco. Ditto weed, which just stinks to me. (Also, users of the latter seem to never shut the fuck up about it, which is irritating to other senses.)
    Nor do I like the taste of most alcohol, or being around drunk people. I sample small amounts of interestingly flavored liquers a couple of times a year, when visiting family.
    My drugs of choice are refined sugar and caffeine.

• Options
    pooka wrote: »

I was that high school kid vocally abstaining from intoxicants and sexual activity as a personal choice, no judgment on my friends making different ones.

Having a holier-than-thou attitude is always going to set my teeth on edge, whatever the flavor of self-righteousness. Straight-edge folk have that rep for a reason, as it's just as often a (secular) evangelical movement for people seeking to justify their personal choices, and that's not even addressing the ones who get violently aggressive about it. Cliques gonna clique.

I never drank when I was a scene kid, never smoked, didn't do any drugs

Never had, never will have a problem with people who abstain from whatever for whatever reason

But man, straight edge kids were something

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    my younger days were characterized by unabashed hedonism, so I never really got along with the straight edge types.

not that I ever had anything against them, they just all seemed to have a serious problem with me existing.

• Options
    pooka wrote: »

Gonna reply to this again because I do think it bears repeating for folks who maybe didn't come up in concert scenes, but "straight edge" is a separate thing from "avoids intoxicants"

It's the same way you've got your "live and let let live" Christians and your "Focus on the Family" Christians. There might be some similar principles, if you take a wide view, but the application of those views are not equal

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    so is Henry Rollins straight edge or isn't he

• Options
    so is Henry Rollins straight edge or isn't he

I've never heard him describe himself as such, but Wikipedia says, "He has mostly avoided recreational drugs throughout his life, but experimented a few times with alcohol, cannabis, and LSD during his teens and early 20s."

But that's Wikipedia, so, bunch of salt

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Be straight edge just don't be an asshole or a fucking narc.

My parents smoked heavily and we smelled like smoke and it sucked and then I had my first cigarette and it was like a fucking light switch went on in my brain.

I remember thinking, "Oh my God, this is why."

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Some Mortal Kombat spoilers are starting to leak

The fatalities are fucking bloody/awesome (linked for spoiler and for NSFW gore)

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    holy shit

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    There were a couple of straight edge kids in high school who did a presentation in class about, of course, being straight edge and then they played some straight edge songs from their band right in the classroom because the teacher apparently didn't give a fuck and my ears to this day still ring.

That's about the beginning and end of my exposure to the straight edge life.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I had a student this month ask if I was straight-edge.

So, the disguise is workin'

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

The fatalities are fucking bloody/awesome (linked for spoiler and for NSFW gore)

good god

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I have to say, based on media and tru crim stories I've heard, someone who is a straight-edge would not last very long as a narc.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    i talk about weed a lot because i don't have insurance for the medication i actually need so i need weed to function

like, not even to get high, just so i don't have crippling anxiety and can manage to eat food

but also because it's fun to get high

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I'm not clicking that link, but I'm not looking forward to all the videos people will make on it. Pretty much every giant bomb video that had the previous game in it used a fatality as the thumbnail.

I wonder how many artists are getting PTSD in service of making the game this time around.

Aistan on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    i talk about weed a lot because i don't have insurance for the medication i actually need so i need weed to function

like, not even to get high, just so i don't have crippling anxiety and can manage to eat food

but also because it's fun to get high

Having started my foray into weed via edibles a few weeks ago

You sure are fuckin' A right.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I got asked by some weirdo if I was straight edge at a BBQ once in my 20s

I replied "no I'm just small and shy" and then awkwardly took a long sip of my very large mug of lemon water until they got uncomfortable and left

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    I'm not clicking that link, but I'm not looking forward to all the videos people will make on it. Pretty much every giant bomb video that had the previous game in it used a fatality as the thumbnail.

I wonder how many artists are getting PTSD in service of making the game this time around.

This is from the new upcoming movie, for the record, and honestly I'd say the linked one is tamer than what the games pull

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

that means they think you're a cop, zonnie

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

1) this is dumb

2) this is awesome

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    To follow on from the straight edge Jesus lovers things

People keep forgetting the reason Jesus turned water into wine is because at a party (it's a big wedding reception yeah yeah, party), his mom discovered that they had run out of wine, and upon discovering this, Mary immediately went to her son all

"If you are the Son of God you had best get me some more damn wine made so help me"

They also go on about how oh it was bad for couples to run out of wines at weddings-- No.

Mary knew how to party.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

that means they think you're a cop, zonnie

Don't be crazy, they cancelled the 21 Jump Street Program years ago.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »
    To follow on from the straight edge Jesus lovers things

People keep forgetting the reason Jesus turned water into wine is because at a party (it's a big wedding reception yeah yeah, party), his mom discovered that they had run out of wine, and upon discovering this, Mary immediately went to her son all

"If you are the Son of God you had best get me some more damn wine made so help me"

They also go on about how oh it was bad for couples to run out of wines at weddings-- No.

Mary knew how to party.

Mary was the OG Wine Mom.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    I got asked by some weirdo if I was straight edge at a BBQ once in my 20s

I replied "no I'm just small and shy" and then awkwardly took a long sip of my very large mug of lemon water until they got uncomfortable and left

Drinking lemon water from a mug is the weirdest part of that story

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I heard for this new Mortal Kombat game they made the developers process fresh cadavers with woodchippers and table saws and jackhammers and steamrollers if they refuse their contractual collar bombs detonate

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    I heard for this new Mortal Kombat game they made the developers process fresh cadavers with woodchippers and table saws and jackhammers and steamrollers if they refuse their contractual collar bombs detonate

You joke but there were many reports of people who work for Netherealm experiencing significant PTSD and workplace stress through being forced to endure viewing hours of horrific real-world reference material for some of the content in the MK games.

This discussion has been closed.