As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Stompybots? Stompybots. STOMPYBOTS! MW5 on Steam NOW!

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Finished the new DLC. I am disappointed that the campaign didn't end with you having to kill the person you were working with because their superiors ordered them to betray you.

Forget it Jake, it's Kuritatown.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Nobody wrote: »
    Wait, Smoke Jaguar is the POV? So. . . we're not even trying to pretend we're good guys in this huh? Interesting choice.

I am excited.

edit- Smoke Jaguar is the Clan that makes Jade Falcon say, "Hey, maybe dial it down a notch."

I mean, everybody is the hero of their own story :p

Smoke Jaguar Trueborn A: "Are we the baddies?"

Smoke Jaguar Trueborn B: "Yeah, duh."

Smoke Jaguar Trueborn A: "Okay, just double checking."

Smoke Jaguar Trueborn B: "Yeah and it is absolutely awesome, I stomped the crap out of that orphanage for refusing my batchall!"

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Russ had a 2 hour interview with NGNG regarding MW5, MW5:C, and MWO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlASczWNGTY

TLDW that I picked up from one discord:
    7huyn8c84haj.png

Another TLDW that's a bit more detailed from reddit:
    reddit wrote:
    I half quoting and (my comments). If i have something ultra wrong, let me know.
    • PC Gamer snafu/leak about MW5:C
    • Company had never had a leak (lol)
    • MW5 Merc - dream successor to Mechwarrior 1 game
    • MW5 Merc cover relationship etc / same as MW5:C, trailer going for heartstrings/nostalgia
    • Others in team have point internally. Chris etc has views. Russ ultimately is king of castle
    • MW5:C First clan game since 1995 MW2
    • PGI maps/game, reflects lore (MWO and MW5)
    • Russ: You will love Smoke Jag (MW5:C)
    • MW5 sandbox gameplay is great (5-10mins)
    • Game selling well on steam (MW5)
    • MW5:C discussion / business / how it works (in depth, business calls, I totally understand the comments)
    • MW5 / MW5:C big difference in games. Dont mix the two.
    • Russ: MW5:C - No one would have played a MW game like this before.
    • Russ: If you look at past MWO games for storytelling ever. Russ thinks best is MW5 with sandbox without heavy narration (i would HIGH argue that given Russ admitted the story was a complete afterthought 12 months out).
    • MW games have had never had solid narration story
    • MW5:C has best stortline/narration/cinematics ever.
    • Console discussion/performance/focus. Technology Nanite & support/cut old consoles based on salesr (NFI what i cant elab).
    • Phil: Why shift to narration. Russ: No longer a merc, shit to Smoke Jag, more a story and Proc Gen is good. Russ played 100s of hours of MW5 Mercs.
    • Happy with linear story for DLCs and story is obvious/fingerprints of that.
    • Create different experiences and products for PGI.
    • Reach out from core community and capture mass markets, attempt to
    • NICHE still - (RUSS SAID NICHE!!!!). Richest deepest sci-fi universe not cracked wide with story.
    • PGI can reach the close to 80% of top studio of AAA. Amazing stories and close to AAA studios and cinematic cause it will go broad with super rich universe.
    • MW5:C totally different game
    • Russ: It is GOING TO BLOW MINDS
    • DLCs dont have same budget as MW5 main game (totally fair). MW5:C is all pure custom bespoke, all of it.
    • MW5:C Mech combat will be incremental improvement over MW5
    • MW5:C will be better custom linear missions with strong stroytelling with better overall quality
    • MW5 is better replability than MW5:C. Do whatever you want in MW5
    • MW5:C has story choices in campaign that will have impacts (Russ said too much apparently).
    • Outsourcing trailers to company they will do more (great!). It was a test and they are engaged for full product.
    • MW5:C LOTS of cinematics (Russ makes it sound like the game is a fken 3hr movie haha)
    • MW5:C MODS. Phil: Big touted feature. Russ: Bit more quiet about it about most stuff on EGS. Mods, best cast is simlar to MW5 base. It will be followup.
    • PGI shutting down mods, wrong perception (issue actually was each PGI patch broke the fucking mods, thats is why the perception is out there - FIX THAT).
    • MWO Transition dicussion. SR came to MWO Great.
    • PvP Mechwarrior. Whats happening? Whats the plan? Twitter comment. PvP is sticky content. MW5 has higher player counter at any given moment. Spikes with DLCs.
    • Larger companies would not have kept MWO running.
    • Margin is low margin in black.
    • Servers purpose for solo player to come to PvP
    • No pathway to upgrade MWO is new engine and many millions
    • PvP drastlically different to year ago
    • MW5:C Not PvP
    • Russ would be shocked if any PvP game was FREE in Western market right now. Next MWO would not be F2P. Shocked if so. (DOTA2, CS:2, Apex - say hello?)
    • Public traded company EG7. Franchise format in there. Franchise plan for Mechwarrior. Microsoft disccussions et al. As slide said for 2027
    • Russ: Knows nothing about HBS situation (layoffs, lamplighters failure?)
    • EGS/Steam cuts discussion etc (I have my thoughts but they are not appropriate here).
    • MW5:C will make big headways for games, playing etc. Casuals can become hardcore potentially
    • Controller and scheme has helped players improve (i cant say, have not used)|
    • Discussion about what does a Mechwarrior game make
    • Growth and size discussion and growth of IP
    • MWO lights are on - Russ: staus quo for MWO. 2024 same. Dedicated resoures for now.
    • MW5/MWO overlay.
    • LONGBOW COMING TO MWO
    • MWO long as playerbase stays, as we go
    • Matt gives Russ update once a quarter.
    • Russ no idea there was new weps coming to MWO|
    • Matt runs MWO basically and is committed to that (Matt is a fking legit champ in all my dealings last 2 years)
    • MWO changes vs Status Quo: Russ: Engineering is possible but challenge. (business sense, basically)
    • Big Tech resources is big for MWO as mega old engine/code|
    • Every MWO change is big undertaking change
    • MWO Match Maker. Russ: Ideal list. Matchmaker. Mixed feelings Russ plays WoT lots and its bots. Runaway matches and rare to get a competitive match.
    • MWO small pool for 12v12, people hate waiting (agree). So kick off match for playerbase size
    • Russ: Not sure there is a proper fix for MM. Why would I (Russ) assign resources to this? He understands there is a desire to "improve", but why for the pop to make it happen. Up to community to present ideas. (gonna call this, only this, as rubbish as Cauldron members have put this shit forward 18 months ago to no avail)

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Russ: You will love Smoke Jag

Yeah, yeah. I'm not surprised he'd be a fan. Really, just really in character for him.

Smoke Jaguar are truly, truly awful people. The Warrior Caste treats all others as literally sub-human. They're so fucking out there that even Jade fucking Falcon thinks they need to tone it down. They committed war crimes of such brutality and scale that even the Great House Lords were taken aback.

When the Inner Sphere told the Clans, "We are deleting this Clan specifically." the others said, "Yeah that is fair." When Smoke Jaguar turned to their allies their allies said, "You made this bed."

I am genuinely curious what PGI is going to do with them, I predict a few hundred gallons of white washing.

Axen on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Just in case anyone was holding off on grabbing the Urbie Lance box for it to be under 20 bucks...
    https://www.miniaturemarket.com/battletech-urbanmech-lance-cat35776.html
    Miniature Market has the Urbie Lance box for under 20 bucks.

• Options
    I figure it's going to be a "you're going to like playing the villain" thing.

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Potential for being snagged as bondsman so you have a “you were unhappy with your original Clan because they were batshit” turn, as well.

I dunno if I trust PGI to capture Clan political nuance very well. Will they be able to even convey Crusader vs. Warden mentality? That very much matters in this era.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Russ had a 2 hour interview with NGNG regarding MW5, MW5:C, and MWO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlASczWNGTY

TLDW that I picked up from one discord:
    7huyn8c84haj.png

Another TLDW that's a bit more detailed from reddit:
    reddit wrote:
    I half quoting and (my comments). If i have something ultra wrong, let me know.
    • PC Gamer snafu/leak about MW5:C
    • Company had never had a leak (lol)
    • MW5 Merc - dream successor to Mechwarrior 1 game
    • MW5 Merc cover relationship etc / same as MW5:C, trailer going for heartstrings/nostalgia
    • Others in team have point internally. Chris etc has views. Russ ultimately is king of castle
    • MW5:C First clan game since 1995 MW2
    • PGI maps/game, reflects lore (MWO and MW5)
    • Russ: You will love Smoke Jag (MW5:C)
    • MW5 sandbox gameplay is great (5-10mins)
    • Game selling well on steam (MW5)
    • MW5:C discussion / business / how it works (in depth, business calls, I totally understand the comments)
    • MW5 / MW5:C big difference in games. Dont mix the two.
    • Russ: MW5:C - No one would have played a MW game like this before.
    • Russ: If you look at past MWO games for storytelling ever. Russ thinks best is MW5 with sandbox without heavy narration (i would HIGH argue that given Russ admitted the story was a complete afterthought 12 months out).
    • MW games have had never had solid narration story
    • MW5:C has best stortline/narration/cinematics ever.
    • Console discussion/performance/focus. Technology Nanite & support/cut old consoles based on salesr (NFI what i cant elab).
    • Phil: Why shift to narration. Russ: No longer a merc, shit to Smoke Jag, more a story and Proc Gen is good. Russ played 100s of hours of MW5 Mercs.
    • Happy with linear story for DLCs and story is obvious/fingerprints of that.
    • Create different experiences and products for PGI.
    • Reach out from core community and capture mass markets, attempt to
    • NICHE still - (RUSS SAID NICHE!!!!). Richest deepest sci-fi universe not cracked wide with story.
    • PGI can reach the close to 80% of top studio of AAA. Amazing stories and close to AAA studios and cinematic cause it will go broad with super rich universe.
    • MW5:C totally different game
    • Russ: It is GOING TO BLOW MINDS
    • DLCs dont have same budget as MW5 main game (totally fair). MW5:C is all pure custom bespoke, all of it.
    • MW5:C Mech combat will be incremental improvement over MW5
    • MW5:C will be better custom linear missions with strong stroytelling with better overall quality
    • MW5 is better replability than MW5:C. Do whatever you want in MW5
    • MW5:C has story choices in campaign that will have impacts (Russ said too much apparently).
    • Outsourcing trailers to company they will do more (great!). It was a test and they are engaged for full product.
    • MW5:C LOTS of cinematics (Russ makes it sound like the game is a fken 3hr movie haha)
    • MW5:C MODS. Phil: Big touted feature. Russ: Bit more quiet about it about most stuff on EGS. Mods, best cast is simlar to MW5 base. It will be followup.
    • PGI shutting down mods, wrong perception (issue actually was each PGI patch broke the fucking mods, thats is why the perception is out there - FIX THAT).
    • MWO Transition dicussion. SR came to MWO Great.
    • PvP Mechwarrior. Whats happening? Whats the plan? Twitter comment. PvP is sticky content. MW5 has higher player counter at any given moment. Spikes with DLCs.
    • Larger companies would not have kept MWO running.
    • Margin is low margin in black.
    • Servers purpose for solo player to come to PvP
    • No pathway to upgrade MWO is new engine and many millions
    • PvP drastlically different to year ago
    • MW5:C Not PvP
    • Russ would be shocked if any PvP game was FREE in Western market right now. Next MWO would not be F2P. Shocked if so. (DOTA2, CS:2, Apex - say hello?)
    • Public traded company EG7. Franchise format in there. Franchise plan for Mechwarrior. Microsoft disccussions et al. As slide said for 2027
    • Russ: Knows nothing about HBS situation (layoffs, lamplighters failure?)
    • EGS/Steam cuts discussion etc (I have my thoughts but they are not appropriate here).
    • MW5:C will make big headways for games, playing etc. Casuals can become hardcore potentially
    • Controller and scheme has helped players improve (i cant say, have not used)|
    • Discussion about what does a Mechwarrior game make
    • Growth and size discussion and growth of IP
    • MWO lights are on - Russ: staus quo for MWO. 2024 same. Dedicated resoures for now.
    • MW5/MWO overlay.
    • LONGBOW COMING TO MWO
    • MWO long as playerbase stays, as we go
    • Matt gives Russ update once a quarter.
    • Russ no idea there was new weps coming to MWO|
    • Matt runs MWO basically and is committed to that (Matt is a fking legit champ in all my dealings last 2 years)
    • MWO changes vs Status Quo: Russ: Engineering is possible but challenge. (business sense, basically)
    • Big Tech resources is big for MWO as mega old engine/code|
    • Every MWO change is big undertaking change
    • MWO Match Maker. Russ: Ideal list. Matchmaker. Mixed feelings Russ plays WoT lots and its bots. Runaway matches and rare to get a competitive match.
    • MWO small pool for 12v12, people hate waiting (agree). So kick off match for playerbase size
    • Russ: Not sure there is a proper fix for MM. Why would I (Russ) assign resources to this? He understands there is a desire to "improve", but why for the pop to make it happen. Up to community to present ideas. (gonna call this, only this, as rubbish as Cauldron members have put this shit forward 18 months ago to no avail)

This all kinda comes across as good news

But at the same time it's PGI so the "I'll Believe It When I Fucking See It" is very strong.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    jssfoy3mjjpk.png

Prepare for it to run like ass, I guess. I believe Immortals of Aveum, (the new) Lords of the Fallen and Remnant 2 were all noted for their hefty requirements.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Clans being linear narrative missions without any procedural content or sandbox is interesting but also means it'll likely have little replayability.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    I on the other hand am so down for 20 hours of interesting missions, instead of infinite hours of the same alphabet soup (which for me means 10 hours, then abandoned out of boredom).

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    I on the other hand am so down for 20 hours of interesting missions, instead of infinite hours of the same alphabet soup (which for me means 10 hours, then abandoned out of boredom).

I liked the middle ground Battletech managed. Hand-crafted missions for the core quest lines plus well-designed random ones to pad things out. And then DLC that each added a pile of new non-story hand-crafted missions.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

They could also be going the MW2 method and have a point system such that replay ability is more about minimizing tonnage utilized than a continuing play.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    There was mention of decision-driven branching storylines, so that could provide some replay potential

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    There was mention of decision-driven branching storylines, so that could provide some replay potential

“Shall we invade?”

[ ] yes
    [x] no

“On second thought, let’s not go to Terra. ‘Tis a silly place.”
    *roll credits*

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Syngyne wrote: »

“Shall we invade?”

[ ] yes
    [x] no

*roll credits*

“Shall we invade?”

[ ] yes
    [x] no

"We shall CONQUER!"

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

“Shall we invade?”

[ ] yes
    [x] no

*roll credits*

...But thou must...

“Shall we invade?”
    [ ] yes
    [ ] no

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Sorry, Imma choose to rekindle the flame.

Bring me the fusion bombs, this is gonna get spicy.

• Options
    Orca wrote: »

I liked the middle ground Battletech managed. Hand-crafted missions for the core quest lines plus well-designed random ones to pad things out. And then DLC that each added a pile of new non-story hand-crafted missions.

Funny because that's the same thing PGI tried with MW5. And it's telling about PGI's writing that you recommend HBS instead. Which is why I'm a bit concerned that PGI is building a game that will be carried solely on the back of one of their biggest weaknesses with zero additional content to fall back on.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

“Shall we invade?”

[ ] yes
    [x] no

*roll credits*

[ ] yes
    [ ] yes, with a dad joke
    [ ] yes, but like an asshole, costing you rep
    [x] no, but yes.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    I have no idea what that Lamplighter’s League game even is, let alone that it existed

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    I have no idea what that Lamplighter’s League game even is, let alone that it existed
    Indiana Jones xcom like

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »

Yes yes yes please live on and make a glorious BATTLETECH 2, HBS!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

Looks to me like HBS came up with a decent original idea, then Paradox came in and shat DLC content all over it and rushed it out the door.

• Options
    Iolo wrote: »

Maybe. . . they are in a very weird spot right now.

Back in June Paradox laid off 80% of HBS's workforce and apparently of that 80% was basically everyone who worked on Battletech.

So they are independent now, but also completely gutted and broke.

• Options
    Iolo wrote: »

Maybe. . . they are in a very weird spot right now.

Back in June Paradox laid off 80% of HBS's workforce and apparently of that 80% was basically everyone who worked on Battletech.

So they are independent now, but also completely gutted and broke.

If they fired 80% of the devs 4 months before release, It'd explain the amount of bugs since there'd be nobody left to fix them.

• Options
    Legendaries for this month:

VGL Gorewing
    2l7de7w0666d.jpg

VGL quirks:
    lddx31tngx6l.png

With full skill nodes will prevent 100% of fall damage

MAD Blight
    7sdreofgr7gb.jpg

No idea on quirks, but this may be the stock loadout which should give you some ideas of what you can do with it:
    cvg98t8tugom.png

• Options
    October Patch notes: https://mwomercs.com/news/2023/10/2792-patch-notes-142840-24october2023

Blight: special quirk is that it comes with advance zoom. Rumor is that it has a toxic tank bolton that will bubble.
    Gorewing: as above, rumor is that it comes with glowing eye bolt on.

LXPL, IS LB-20X, HGR, HAG-20 buffs
    HAG-30, HAG-40 nerfs

Banshee fill order change for hardpoints.

Quirks:
    Locust
    Commando
    Blackjack
    Trebuchet
    Vapor Eagle
    Thunderbolt
    Awesome
    Charger
    Marauder IIC
    Banshee

Viridian had the lilypads replaced with trees that can't be removed via CFG

Legendaries now have bolt on support
    Dreadnought and Scattershot (MADIIC and SHD) now available for MC
    HAGs will now properly call the Gauss barrel model

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    So, uh. I have Mechwarrior 5, I got it a good amount of time ago, before all the DLC came out and so on. I played it for a bit, but eventually got a little bored, and left it.

But I kinda felt like it lately, so I reinstalled it and fired it up, first on the campaign mode to remember how to play it.

And, uh. It seems to be completely unplayable on my computer now for some reason? Before, when I turned the settings relatively down (and I mean, my computer is not a supercomputer or anything but it's a Ryzen 7 3800X with a 2060 video card and 32 gigs of ram, it's not exactly a macbook), it ran smoothly, slight framedrops at worst, but now when I'm in a firefight the game just straight up freezes for a second every few seconds skipping whatever happened in the meantime like it was King Crimson, so it's impossible to shoot anything.

Does anyone know what the fuck happened to the game in the meantime or what can I do to make this thing work?

Also related, what DLCs are good for adding neat stuff?

EDIT: Okay, doing more experimentation, apparently part of the reason is the game just turns antialiasing to max and DLSS back on every time I start a mission. If I turn them back down while in the mission then I can play. What the nuts, game.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    That's PGI Quality™️

• Options
    All of the DLCs add good stuff, the only one that’s really questionable is Call To Arms which brings the Hatchetman, melee weapons, and the relatively short Hatchetman mission chain.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    All of the DLCs add good stuff, the only one that’s really questionable is Call To Arms which brings the Hatchetman, melee weapons, and the relatively short Hatchetman mission chain.

That being said, melee weapon focused mechs are fucking fun as hell to play and well worth the price of entry.

You haven't known fun until you've taken a Charger with a giant fucking battleaxe and cut a Commando in two from stem to stern.

• Options
    Yeah, it still runs visibly worse than it used to run, with occasional stuttering, but it is at least mostly playable when I manually lower this each mission. Still, fucking christ.

I've checked some sites and I can get Heroes of the Inner Sphere and Kestrel Lancers for 5 bucks each, while the rest seem to be at full price, which seems a bit much unless they add a bunch of content. Do those add stuff to the main campaign too, or is it only special modes?

• Options
    Drascin wrote: »
    Yeah, it still runs visibly worse than it used to run, with occasional stuttering, but it is at least mostly playable when I manually lower this each mission. Still, fucking christ.

I've checked some sites and I can get Heroes of the Inner Sphere and Kestrel Lancers for 5 bucks each, while the rest seem to be at full price, which seems a bit much unless they add a bunch of content. Do those add stuff to the main campaign too, or is it only special modes?

Mostly they add long side-chains for missions and new mech chassis. The latest one’s chain directly references the resolution of the main campaign.

• Options
    There's multiple Steam sales ahead, just add the rest to your wishlist and pick them up then.

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    It's also worth noting that a lot of mods are gonna use all the DLC available. I've seen some absolutely twisted shit pulled off with modded melee focused Banshees.

• Options
    Okay, so there's this mod by a guy named Xeno that just... fixes basically all the performance problems. I can actually set stuff to high with it and still get reliable 60FPS. What the heck. That is some Dark Souls 1 level of fans fixing disaster code.

And while I was on mods I got one so that story pilots could be maxed out, and one to buy loot shares at end of mission because otherwise it felt really silly how all the early missions shoed you light mechs to get but it was physically impossible for you to actually get them because you could not get enough shares.

So, growing decently for now. Got myself a nice Phoenix Hawk and I ran into a rare Firestarter. I may not be much into battletech as a setting, but the HBS turn based game has made me fond of the little fire boy, I wonder if I can fly it without getting exploded.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Update: Can I fly the firestarter while doing okay? Quite certainly.

Can I see where the fuck I'm aiming when I'm throwing out four flamers and three lasers? Absolutely not. This is very much not a mech to try to take out people's legs with precision - more of a "spray into the red box and hope" kind of thing. Hilarious, though.

Enemies seem to not have heat buildup problems, though. I don't think I could be shooting PPCs while under sustained fire from four flamers!

Drascin on
  • Options
    Drascin wrote: »
    Update: Can I fly the firestarter while doing okay? Quite certainly.

Can I see where the fuck I'm aiming when I'm throwing out four flamers and three lasers? Absolutely not. This is very much not a mech to try to take out people's legs with precision - more of a "spray into the red box and hope" kind of thing. Hilarious, though.

Enemies seem to not have heat buildup problems, though. I don't think I could be shooting PPCs while under sustained fire from four flamers!

Keep in mind that flamers are implemented as hitscan weapons with a fixed maximum damage distance like a small laser. The flame animation is purely cosmetic and not indicative at all of what you are hitting.

Enemies do build up heat and will shut down or have ammo explode from it. It just depends on how many heatsinks they have and how good your aim with the flamer is.