As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Stompybots? Stompybots. STOMPYBOTS! MW5 on Steam NOW!

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    monkeykins wrote: »
    Iolo wrote: »
    It's so much better to have the PC killed over any other pilots since it's just 90-120 days in medbay versus (likely) permanent erasure of some character you've spent 40+ missions leveling up.

I had 4 days left in the career, and I didn't know at that point that things didn't just end... it also said "dead" which it might always say for the PC but I only had that happen in the campaign, so I just save scummed. 4th try I finally got an Atlas to spawn and I legged it, only to find out the end of the career is just a score, and nothing changes, so I flew off to do the Kell Hound flashpoint.

Wooooo Atlas!!!

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    It's so much better to have the PC killed over any other pilots since it's just 90-120 days in medbay versus (likely) permanent erasure of some character you've spent 40+ missions leveling up.

I had 4 days left in the career, and I didn't know at that point that things didn't just end... it also said "dead" which it might always say for the PC but I only had that happen in the campaign, so I just save scummed. 4th try I finally got an Atlas to spawn and I legged it, only to find out the end of the career is just a score, and nothing changes, so I flew off to do the Kell Hound flashpoint.

Wooooo Atlas!!!

Time to go scouting!

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Bullhead wrote: »

Wooooo Atlas!!!

Time to go scouting!

In case monkeykins hasn't seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73zK-PjmyKY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFzVEM8pMrk

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    MWO: Word is the new dev is a map dev, and he's already working on fixing the issues with Terra Therma reborn.

Granted, it sounds like the fix he's going for is removing the upper level in the middle, but we'll see. Should be in the November patch.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2022
    removing the upper level in the middle
    What, no! That's what makes that map great! :(

[edit] I think the best way to fix Terra Therma is to cut the old Terra Therma.

Glal on
  • Options
    I am wanting to finally try MW5, and having fooled around in the past with K+M I wanted to see what was the recommended setups for MW5, MWO, etc (and useful for things like Elite Dangerous as well). I'm leaning towards HOTAS? Anyone have any good hardware setups recommended (under $150 if possible).

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I could never get to use a HOTAS safely in MW5. The need for mouse speed was too much for me in my Lights.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    I could never get to use a HOTAS safely in MW5. The need for mouse speed was too much for me in my Lights.

Did you run K+M? Or Joystick + mouse (which I've heard of people doing)?

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

Bah. I refuse to use a mouse no matter how much my aim suffers. I will drive my giant stompy robot with a joystick and throttle as God and Jordan Weisman intended.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    edited November 2022

Did you run K+M? Or Joystick + mouse (which I've heard of people doing)?

K+M.
    Syngyne wrote: »

Bah. I refuse to use a mouse no matter how much my aim suffers. I will drive my giant stompy robot with a joystick and throttle as God and Jordan Weisman intended.

Oh I plan to use my Warthog HOTAS for MW5 once I get time again. Was too into playing seriously with MWO to gamble on it.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    I am wanting to finally try MW5, and having fooled around in the past with K+M I wanted to see what was the recommended setups for MW5, MWO, etc (and useful for things like Elite Dangerous as well). I'm leaning towards HOTAS? Anyone have any good hardware setups recommended (under $150 if possible).

I'm partial to the X-52, having used it and it's variants for...twenty odd years now. The long term durability / QA isn't 100% though. Also see people recommending the T1600 and throttle.

• Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    HBS:
    Second mission of the Grey Death flashpoint. Friendlies had extracted. Only enemy left was a legged King Crab. My mechs all move on 2, Crab on 1. New round starts, game gets stuck on calculating Enemy Turn.
    Oh well. This time I think I'm going to hang back a little and let the friendlies help instead of storming the first enemy lance then watching the allies all sprint toward the drop zone. I think they shot a few LRM5s at the first enemy lance, that's it.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    HBS:
    Second mission of the Grey Death flashpoint. Friendlies had extracted. Only enemy left was a legged King Crab. My mechs all move on 2, Crab on 1. New round starts, game gets stuck on calculating Enemy Turn.
    Oh well. This time I think I'm going to hang back a little and let the friendlies help instead of storming the first enemy lance then watching the allies all sprint toward the drop zone. I think they shot a few LRM5s at the first enemy lance, that's it.

Ugh, I hate it when it locks up like that. Sorry monkeykins.

• Options
    Going to give Extended Edition mod a try. I want my Mad Dog.

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Oh hey, I guess I never claimed one of my MWO loyalty rewards. Looks like I have a pick of any of the previous IS loyalty mechs.

The Stalker and Zeus both look like a good choice. Any thoughts from the vets?

• Options
    There are few bad Stalkers. It’s the 3FB right? ECM is amazing in QP.

Zeus is the 9S2 I think, which has some left side builds but has to rely on those low arm mounts

• Options
    AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Yeah, the Stalker seems the pick. The 9S2 has some really cool perks which was tempting, but the urge to make an absurd ECM MRM boat is too strong.

• Options
    I remember Baradul ran one with MRMs.

2x MRM30
    6x Medium Laser
    Guardian ECM
    Engine: LFE295

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    The nice thing is that the 3FB's quirk pass didn't try to force it too far in any direction, so MRMs/ML are still good. I know some people have taken to using it as a laser boat with the sensor range/heat % quirks as well.

• Options
    Is there a reason people are playing Atlases more in MWO these days? That mech seemed to largely get abandoned (except by people who just like how they look), did they rejig their quirks to make them good?

• Options
    They gave away a bunch of free ones, including one with ECM and Stealth.

• Options
    yeah there was the free AS7-D a few months ago and the new AS7-K3 (JJ and ECM) that was a loyalty mech (and given away for free after the AS7-D.

The K3 can make a funny sniper mech but a lot of people in QP just use it as an ECM brawler.

• Options
    Man, Extended is some bullshit. Every enemy I face seems to move their Mediums in phase 5, because they have a half dozen initiative boosting lights paired with 4+ Mediums or Heavies. I just had a mission where three of my mechs were totally stripped of armor before they even got to shoot, because of the 8 enemy mechs that got to move before me. Oh, and it doesn't help either that there are 2 or 3 "scout" mechs every mission that increase hit difficulty until you shoot them, so I've yet to see a hit chance over 75%...

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    I pulled this out of my backlog. It's pretty damned difficult. I'm at Reputation 7, trying to branch out into Liao missions and I don't know where I'm going to find mechs worthy of these ever increasing tonnage caps.

My 230T party consists of a Quickdraw, Hunchback, Trebuchet and the original Centurion. Customization seems inflexible, not that I would know what to do with it.

I might just go back to Davion and build up my cash reserves so I can make a big play for salvaging a heavy.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Unmodded MW5, in campaign?

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    Nobody wrote: »
    Unmodded MW5, in campaign?

Correct.

EDIT - sounds like I need to mod MW5.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Not going to say that you NEED to mod the game, but MW5’s enjoyment level tends to really go up if you do

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited November 2022
    I don’t think you need to mod MW5. But you likely need to refit your mechs or find an assault.

If you’re on the campaign (if in career then dead center of the map) then the better mechs are found in the top right corner. (That is where the campaign ends so that is where the better industrial zones are). You are far more likely to find heavies and assaults in industrial zones next to rep 10 to 15 combat areas. There is also limitations on the type of mech based on the faction that owns the place. So if you want atlas-Ks (probably the best non-ecm mech in the game) you need to go to kurita but if you want highlander 732bs you won’t find any there

You may also go search for hero mechs or rare mechs (sometimes you get star league mechs there. Sometimes it’s just well repaired ones). Same logic applies.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    I did just get my first XL mech, though, against a Star Leages hit squad.

• Options
    XL meaning extra light engine correct?

Yea you can sometimes get lucky and salvage those mechs but it’s not ever guaranteed.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    FWIW, I played through the entire MW5 campaign, plus expansions as they rolled out (because I play at a glaaaaaaacial pace), completely unmodded. Is it the Greatest Game Ever Created? Not even close. But was I entertained basically from start to finish? Absolutely yes.

I do think it's worth saying that if you're having trouble keeping up with the increasing weight limits, and therefore relative difficulty, you absolutely should just head back to Davion space and do some seal clubbing to build up bank. I may have accidentally spent the first 40% of my MW5 playthrough just grinding missions on the Combine border, loading up my bank account and taking minimal loss in return for the time spent. Made things reeeeaaal easy in the mid to nearly late game.

I look forward to 2025, and getting another chance to play MW5 with some mods that'll probably end up bricking my then-teeenager-old system.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Is the special Wolverine available in unmodded/no DLC MW5 campaign?

Nobody on
  • Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    Is the special Wolverine available in unmodded/no DLC MW5 campaign?

Yes. Entirely free at Valentina. Going and picking it up may not be a bad idea. It’s only 55 tonnes though so it won’t round out your tonnage.

But it has ferro, endo, and may have a few doubles with it (unmodded internal doubles do not work :( but the game is pretty easy if they do so… eh) plus a UAC/5 (eh) and an ARTIV SRM6 (good actually though not as good as a 4)

The AI tends to do really well in wolverines too so it’s a good support mech before you get to 400 tonne missions.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    I’d probably strip the lostech weapons (at leas the UAC) off it if I was giving it to AI though, they have a habit of losing arms

• Options
    Oh man, these are delightful.

https://hansenbricks.com/
    z4z379mj60np.png
    6eeetz2ftglr.png
    dca9khmrxtrt.png

• Options
    Glal wrote: »
    Oh man, these are delightful.

https://hansenbricks.com/
    z4z379mj60np.png
    6eeetz2ftglr.png
    dca9khmrxtrt.png

This is awesome! Not only did he build them, but also giving away the instructions and parts list!!! Wow! Now I'm tempted.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    I remember looking into the King Crab when it first got spread around and it was something like $400 for the bricks

• Options
    Goumindong wrote: »

Yea you can sometimes get lucky and salvage those mechs but it’s not ever guaranteed.

Yeah, it was a 1.5 skull mission, was supposed to be supporting two Mediums against one light lance, when 6 ComStar mechs dropped. Nothing of consequence died, and I got some DHS. The mech is a 45er, and I'm mostly taking 55 ton mechs into missions but it seems like a good keeper for light Flashpoints later.

Biggest issue I have with the mods is the dismal to-hits I get now. SRM from above against a prone enemy tops out at something like 65% chance. I don't know what I am doing wrong.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

Yeah, it was a 1.5 skull mission, was supposed to be supporting two Mediums against one light lance, when 6 ComStar mechs dropped. Nothing of consequence died, and I got some DHS. The mech is a 45er, and I'm mostly taking 55 ton mechs into missions but it seems like a good keeper for light Flashpoints later.

Biggest issue I have with the mods is the dismal to-hits I get now. SRM from above against a prone enemy tops out at something like 65% chance. I don't know what I am doing wrong.

I don't know that you're doing anything wrong. It's been a long time since I tried it but as I recall Extended has lower To-Hit across the board, including precision shots like against prone enemies. To-hit bonuses from Gunnery aren't as much. It includes additional to-hit penalties from movement, to-hit penalties related to heat, and Evasion isn't removed after attacks. How much depends on the difficulty mode selected.

If you hover over the shot percentage on your weapon, you'll get a pop-up that lists all the bonuses and penalties affecting your hit chance. Should help you identify the issue or what area to improve.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Man, Extended is some bullshit. Every enemy I face seems to move their Mediums in phase 5, because they have a half dozen initiative boosting lights paired with 4+ Mediums or Heavies. I just had a mission where three of my mechs were totally stripped of armor before they even got to shoot, because of the 8 enemy mechs that got to move before me. Oh, and it doesn't help either that there are 2 or 3 "scout" mechs every mission that increase hit difficulty until you shoot them, so I've yet to see a hit chance over 75%...

It is fairly ridiculous, you have to spread fire at the start (even super low% chance shots) just to take a swing at everything in order to reset the initiative. So until then you have to play super conservative and hang back/max evasion. One of the few things I dislike on BEX.

96058.png?1619393207