As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] Breaking the sun in 2022

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    The main downside to WEX is that monsters will have breakables that aren't high enough hitzones for it to trigger.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    I only skimmed the DLC stuff from the menus, does the two packs have some exclusive stuff to each one? There seems to be some overlap, or does pack 2 have all of pack 1?

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I only skimmed the DLC stuff from the menus, does the two packs have some exclusive stuff to each one? There seems to be some overlap, or does pack 2 have all of pack 1?

I think they're both completely exclusive from each other. Pack 1 and 2 are two different things.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    Load Shells is a fantastic skill for Charge Blades (5 phials from a yellow charge). Rapid Morph is good too. I'd toss in some evade extender, personally.
    I feel like even without Load Shells I usually fill phials much faster than I can spend them, plus the counter silkbind fills all your phials anyway and getting more than three SAED impact phials to hit anything is excruciatingly difficult.

I think I might like it better with elemental phials, but I'm still figuring things out with those builds. Honestly there's a lot I'm still figuring out with charge blade.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    I'm also a fan of Load Shells on Charge Blade. You might not always need it, but it can still get a lot of value over the course of a hunt for a pretty small investment. I'm not impressed with rapid morph on it though, even though lots of people recommend it. I mean, it works, but I'm not really morphing all that often. The most important moment for it is for doing UAEDs, but even if you execute one of those from sword mode, rapid morph only speeds up the very beginning of the animation. It's not very noticeable overall.

• Options

I think they're both completely exclusive from each other. Pack 1 and 2 are two different things.

Guess I’ll just pick and choose the individual stuff I want most. Probably the music stuff mostly.

• Options
    I'm also a fan of Load Shells on Charge Blade. You might not always need it, but it can still get a lot of value over the course of a hunt for a pretty small investment. I'm not impressed with rapid morph on it though, even though lots of people recommend it. I mean, it works, but I'm not really morphing all that often. The most important moment for it is for doing UAEDs, but even if you execute one of those from sword mode, rapid morph only speeds up the very beginning of the animation. It's not very noticeable overall.
    It mostly comes down to if you ever use ZR+X > A > ZR to sneak in axe hits. Or if you often find yourself doing guard points in positions where you don't want to follow up with a full SAED or AED, since morph to axe is the only other offensive option you have out of that. Without Rapid Morph switching to axe mode via the guard point is too slow to ever be worth it, really. But then it also changes your guard point timing. I keep going back and forth on it.

There's also the Reload > A > A > ZR axe combo, which is phial-inefficient but faster to do if you have too many phials and want to spend them on something lower-commitment than the big hits. I've been thinking of maybe doing more of these alongside Load Up.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    he's just vibin

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    does he actually show up there? i miss the geographical diversity of investigations.

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    does he actually show up there? i miss the geographical diversity of investigations.

He was definitely there, in daylight.

• Options
    A certain new hunt can be on any map and isn't fixed.

• Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

It doesn't seem to return to the desert after the first time (anectodally), but yeah other than that the quest keeps changing.

• Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »

It doesn't seem to return to the desert after the first time (anectodally), but yeah other than that the quest keeps changing.
    the original quest cycles back through periodically

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Just bought the game I see I have to get use to using the wirebug to close space.

There are a lot of monsters who love zipping all over the place.

Also how do you know your silkbug attacks are...how to put this...doing damage to the monster's mount Guage?

Using the charge blade btw.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Just bought the game I see I have to get use to using the wirebug to close space.

Also how do you know your silkbug attacks are...how to put this...doing damage to the monster's mount Guage?

There's a blue highlight behind the numbers, I think.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »

There's a blue highlight behind the numbers, I think.

Yeah it’s the blue numbers, and usually it’s silkbind or aerial attacks that build it.

Wire bugs are the best.

Also @Hahnsoo1 @vagrant_winds

• Options
    got around to beating arena rajang

i don't know how to play lance anymore, but as far as i can tell it can still block and it can still poke and i can work with that

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited May 2021

i don't know how to play lance anymore, but as far as i can tell it can still block and it can still poke and i can work with that

I like the HBG set vs him. Sticky his face. Slicing his face or tail. Use the counter when he beams.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options

I like the HBG set vs him. Sticky his face. Slicing his face or tail. Use the counter when he beams.

Yeah, the HBG set is also running max evade skills so it's super safe against him..

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I finally got through the main story stuff and uncapped my HR. Now to start getting serious about my armor set. Gonna jump into a bunch of rampages for melding fodder to chase a good talisman.

• Options

i tried that and it definitely seemed like it would work but also i am so deeply ignorant of ranged weapons that i jumped down to fight and then realized i had no idea how to sheathe, so it's kind of a mixed bag

• Options
    edited May 2021

i tried that and it definitely seemed like it would work but also i am so deeply ignorant of ranged weapons that i jumped down to fight and then realized i had no idea how to sheathe, so it's kind of a mixed bag
    Just press Y, like all other weapons? Also, you shouldn't ever need to sheathe using HBG in the Rajang Arena fight.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    i know now

i legitimately forgot there was a dedicated sheathe button since i never use it on melee weapons

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    You mean the run button isn't a dedicated sheath button?

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    i know now

i legitimately forgot there was a dedicated sheathe button since i never use it on melee weapons

Yeah unless you’re running GS (and with the powersheath arguably not even then) it’s easy to forget it exists.

Ranged are a lot of fun, especially when you KO Lock some asshole monster that’s been giving you problems.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular

Ranged needs the zL button to aim, so silkbind moves use the R button instead.

• Options

Ranged needs the zL button to aim, so silkbind moves use the R button instead.

I forgot to add the /s

• Options
    The various coins you get in the arena quests are for something right? I haven't seen anything I can craft with them yet.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    The various coins you get in the arena quests are for something right? I haven't seen anything I can craft with them yet.
    Brigade Armor (and the Brigade Layered Armor), the Mighty Bow Feather which gives Bow Charge Plus.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    The Mighty Bow Feather needs an Ace Coin to show up in the crafting list. It's also the only option for Bow Charge Plus for now.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

The greatsword setup against him is very good. Barioth set + rage slash is a decent build. He jumps around a lot and will make it hard to heal, but I got a 6-minute GS win on my third try (after losing twice in a couple of minutes, lel). Good training on how to handle aggression with tackles, I found

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    I can't remember if it was the one against Rajang off hand, but I remember I used Lance for one of them because the build looked really good, but I felt tricked, because I didn't notice that it was using Insta Block. Still was able to get it done, but it would have been a whole lot smoother if it just used the regular guard.

I love the concept of Insta Block, but it just feels really awful to use in practice. Extremely tight timing, very little reward. Not satisfying at all.

• Options
    I can't remember if it was the one against Rajang off hand, but I remember I used Lance for one of them because the build looked really good, but I felt tricked, because I didn't notice that it was using Insta Block. Still was able to get it done, but it would have been a whole lot smoother if it just used the regular guard.

I love the concept of Insta Block, but it just feels really awful to use in practice. Extremely tight timing, very little reward. Not satisfying at all.

Anything you can do with Insta Block you can do with Anchor Rage or Counter Block better.

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular

Anything you can do with Insta Block you can do with Anchor Rage or Counter Block better.

You can go from one insta block immediately into another. This allows you to parry double hit moves like Teo's AoE breath attack. You can also spiral thrust immediately after, so for something like Nargacuga's double spin, you can block the first, then spiral parry the second hit. It's tough to get used to the timing, but insta block is amazing.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Ratsult2 wrote: »

You can go from one insta block immediately into another. This allows you to parry double hit moves like Teo's AoE breath attack. You can also spiral thrust immediately after, so for something like Nargacuga's double spin, you can block the first, then spiral parry the second hit. It's tough to get used to the timing, but insta block is amazing.

Did they considerably slow down the counter block in Rise? Because you could counter block and hit all moves like Zinogre's triple slam, which was a considerable amount faster in cadence than Nargas double spin. There was almost no cooldown after a counter strike to get back into a counter guard, whereas I feel like insta block has that cooldown between things.

Counter block was legitimately amazing in World, and it was how you kept racking up deeps while taking no damage.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    All new content done. Should probably craft something. Apex rathalos was a little shit to my turrets but wasn't too bad, no carts. Apex diablos died twice from it blitzing around faster than I could make out in the chaos.

If they keep this up and make an Apex magnamalo what is it going to do? Pop you in the air, cart you with an air juggle, then cart you at camp with hellfire for good measure?

Also I know it may be sacrilege but I run double doggos and its...great? They both have blast weapons, ko king, the healing scroll than make you regen on attacks and a fast attack scroll.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    navgoose wrote: »
    All new content done. Should probably craft something. Apex rathalos was a little shit to my turrets but wasn't too bad, no carts. Apex diablos died twice from it blitzing around faster than I could make out in the chaos.

If they keep this up and make an Apex magnamalo what is it going to do? Pop you in the air, cart you with an air juggle, then cart you at camp with hellfire for good measure?

Also I know it may be sacrilege but I run double doggos and its...great? They both have blast weapons, ko king, the healing scroll than make you regen on attacks and a fast attack scroll.
    Dogs do a lot of status with the right setup. I saw a Normal Gunlance Apex Rathian run that got three sleeps in four minutes with double dogs using umbrellas. They're underestimated. Probably somewhat weapon-dependant, though.

Also: how does that healing scroll work? I did a lot of dog science early on but I never once saw that scroll used or noticed any effect.

Wyvern on
  • Options
    i feel like an umbrella palamute with a status weapon is probably as good or better at inflicting status than a gathering cat

after i took mine to level 50, i checked through all my other hired dogs and was... displeased to realize that almost none of them had the status attack up passive