As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[New Consoles]: The Xbox Xeriex X and the PS Quintuple

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    People can call Kojima a hack all day and night (cue quote post edited to end sentence here) but he wrote MGS2 Sons of Liberty before 9/11 and released it 2 months after it happened and it like, did something to my adolescent brain for a game to tackle such high concept themes right after such a crazy thing happened and basically yeah um a MGS2 movie could possibly be the greatest opportunity for a commentary on American... Everything but mostly war in the information age and yeah it's one of those games I beat and immediately played 3 more times when I was 11

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Kojima has all kinds of issues, but he’s incredibly insightful, he has things he wants to say, and he really fuckin’ goes for it at every opportunity. I respect anyone who takes those kinds of big swings, especially when he hits more often than he misses.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    my controversial opinion is that he can be insightful in some ways while also being kind of a hack, increasingly as he's gotten older and more famous

also he's creepy to women

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    my controversial opinion is that he can be insightful in some ways while also being kind of a hack, increasingly as he's gotten older and more famous

also he's creepy to women

Seems like a valid take, I think just like a lot of people he needed an editor around the time MGS4 hit but I still find MGS5 to be a masterpiece (even accounting for Quiet) so tf do I know

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Maybe if we're lucky it's a Knack Live Service game where we can all make our own Knacks and and

It will be a game about stealing knacks and getting beaten up by the police vans. Nick Knack Paddy Whack.

• Options
    the gameplay of MGS4 and 5 was certainly masterful as that series has been since MGS1, I hated the writing in them though.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    all 45 minutes of gameplay in 4 was very good, yes

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »

The story of game MGS5 is good, if you love Finnegans Wake, stream of consciousness, and hate endings.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    i always want to play mgs v / ground zeroes because i've played almost every other mgs game and i want the nonsense of it all, but the gameplay doesn't sound like it's for me

i don't want to recruit people and build bases, i just want to clap my cheeks in the air vents and fight a bisexual vampire to stop the military industrial complex, i think?

• Options
    MGSV is very different, the actual meat-and-potatoes runnin'-around-being-stealthy gameplay is still great fun and controls great, but it's not exactly the same kind of great fun as the previous MGS games due to the open outdoor area design. And then there's the base management and recruiting systems which I don't think really added anything but at least didn't feel like they took a lot of time to deal with either. The story is incoherent in a way beyond what you have come to expect from the series, and there is a lot less there, you can definitely feel the seams where they cut half the story to just get it shipped, especially towards the end.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    I spent a lot of time in Ground Zeroes just fucking around, the base building stuff isn't in that slice. It's more of the classic MGS stuff where you infiltrate a small Not-Gitmo and have a few different missions, usually smuggle someone out.

I had the map memorized by the end and it was quite fun just fucking with the guards.

In MGSV proper I spent a lot more time fucking with the roaming patrols, capturing outposts and generally being a menace than capturing enemies
    https://youtu.be/z-lS3qoOm_I

• Options
    burbo wrote: »
    turtleant wrote: »

game MGS5 is good, if you love Finnegans Wake, stream of consciousness, and hate endings and the story of the

Fixed that for you.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Code Talker 4 lyfe

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    MGS4 was so atrocious, I remember being profoundly let down at the time. 5 was fun and had great story elements and does totally have an ending, it’s just also very clear the entire production was padded and flawed, ie having to redo missions to get that ending is nonsense, and not the fun hideo kind of super odd details nonsense, the regular kind that’s lazy and rushed and lacking in enthusiasm

Death Stranding was also a bit loose in areas but is also one of my all time favourite games just because it’s so unusual and has such interesting flourishes. It’s not quite as experimental as I would’ve liked, but it’s a truly phenomenal experience if you pick up what it’s putting down. It helps if you enjoy the gameplay itself, and that wasn’t for everyone. But I loved it.

I’m a bit bummed he’s making a sequel tho, I wanted something totally new from him. Hopefully the sequel is very different, as that’s what hes suggested he would do

Prohass on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The base building stuff in V is like, press a button and get back to missions and it'll ding when it's done. And then you can take your jeep out to Zoo Platform or whatever

Death Stranding, oof. I guess I appreciate a game telling me within the first hour or so that it is not going to be enjoyable for me. The first actual mission where you have to shift weight and shit was atrocious. I was exhausted halfway through the run, I can't imagine having to manage that crap for a whole game

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    The base building stuff in V is like, press a button and get back to missions and it'll ding when it's done. And then you can take your jeep out to Zoo Platform or whatever

Death Stranding, oof. I guess I appreciate a game telling me within the first hour or so that it is not going to be enjoyable for me. The first actual mission where you have to shift weight and shit was atrocious. I was exhausted halfway through the run, I can't imagine having to manage that crap for a whole game

The thing about Death Stranding is that it's not like that the whole game. You get equipment and vehicles to make things more manageable. You're just started with the worst setup to make the feeling of progression and growth more noticeable. In the Director's Cut, they've added catapults to just yeet stuff across the countryside...

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Death stranding has a super satisfying loop where your first trip is the hardest, but every time you make the trip after that first journey you build infrastructure and leave equipment for yourself that makes the trip easier every time.

It’s super satisfying to like fly by on a Flying Fox system you built back over terrain that you struggled to walk through before. Or build roads or paths to zoom over and past previously agonising terrain.

It’s actually why I disliked the Directors Cut, it completely ruins that pacing and flow, and gives you way too many tools early on, ruining that sense of journey and gradual climb. You don’t get to know the environment and it’s quirks and “conquer” them through perseverance, you’re kind of just given everything you need and it means the environment becomes less intimate and familiar

I really try to urge people to play more than just the start, but at the same time if it’s not your thing it’s not your thing.

The way the amazing music kicks in on journeys the first time you take them, when you’re struggling and hoofing it and losing cargo and holding on to your butt, it just clicked with me, and then the fun of “conquering” a landscape, not through like violence but through building a network, it’s just super my jam. I loved seeing terrain that used to present brutal challenges slowly become easier and easier to traverse

Also all the hideo kojima world building and characters were just very much my thing, even though they’re quite shallow and full of holes, I just dug em for the vibes and visuals.

I don’t think any game has played with traversal and movement in quite the same way that worked so well for me, mainly in small subtle ways. Like getting stuck during a stranding event in the spreading oil as it slows your movement and makes you cumbersome and vulnerable, seeing it flood and change the landscape as you try to escape. It could’ve done more with the concept overall, but what was there I really got a kick out of

I just loved everything about the experience

Prohass on
  • Options
    I really, really don't like MGSV. The gameplay is fine I guess, but my favorite MGS is Peace Walker so the story, even outside of the absolutely rancid parts, is just miserable to me. Also fuck Kojima for ditching David Hayter.

The base stuff also sucks ass cause everything takes forever so Konami could sell speed ups, so on any average playthrough you'll never unlock half the equipment.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    V is the best MGS to me, hands down. Not even close.

Not. Even. Close.

Followed by 3, then 1=2 and then peacewalker=4.

This isn't an insult, I love 4.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Mines probably 1 and 2. I played them both basically at the same time so theyre kind of intertwined. I loved 3 but it was also a case where 1 and 2 were that first amazing experience and nothing beats that sense of wonder and discovery

5 is awesome but I just think of it as its own thing. 4 I didnt even finish. Never played peacewalker

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I bought a ps1 and mgs1 with my first part time job paycheck when I was 18.

Several I don't know how many years later mgs2 blew me the hell away.

I just like 3's gameplay a whole ton, and I love the story as this rather tight self contained thing. You don't have to have played any other. You can literally just play 3, and stop. You are done. You've played some mgs. It works.

Just like 1, but with what I felt was more involving gameplay.

5 is just cos if you throw an open world game at me I go ga ga over it and spend a million hours in it. It just be what I do. I S ranked every mission, I haven't even bothered to even try and start doing an S rank runthrough in any other metal gear.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    The absurd thing about MGSV is when they make you redo some missions to get to the ending it’s even more ridiculous because the game is long enough already, they didn’t need to pad it, and because the ending is pretty cool! It has some unique and great missions, just let people play it! It was so bizzare

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I've put my listing up quite a few times, but generally I fall into 2, 5, 1, 4, 3

And all of the handheld ones are kind of interesting but terrible to actually play and best experienced by watching the cutscenes

• Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    woah hey, ghost babel and the acid games play great.

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I've put my listing up quite a few times, but generally I fall into 2, 5, 1, 4, 3

And all of the handheld ones are kind of interesting but terrible to actually play and best experienced by watching the cutscenes

Ghost Babel is outstanding to play, so long as you enjoy old school 2D games.

• Options
    ghost babel is basically another pre-solid series metal gear game IIRC?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Mgs4 is good actually

Been a while since I've done a run through but the order that's in my brain at the moment would be

MGRR
    V
    PW

3's great but it's also kind of the metal gear for people who don't like metal gear, and I fuckin love metal gear

• Options
    Yeah, that’s pretty close to my personal order. I love 4. I like V a lot. 3 never really clicked with me. But MGRR and MGS2 are toweringly great works that I feel like have only really gotten the appreciation they deserve years later. They’re the two most Metal Gear ass Metal Gear games, in my mind. Both just excellent culminations of gameplay (in their own ways) and Metal Gear’s brand of political philosophy.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Everything above 3 on my list is at least somewhat good, and then 3 is a toilet game

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    in metal gear solid 3 you can wear a gavial hat and peer around the corner and your gavial hat leans comically into frame

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    To be clear I love 3

Just not as much as the rest of em

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Of the numbered games, I feel like 5 is easily the best game but also easily the worst Metal Gear. Everything about actually playing the game is so far beyond the other 4, but it's real lacking in the Metal Gear bullshit that I come to the series for. Like it does exist in 5, but it's way too sporadic.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Metal Gear games from best to worst that I've played:
    1. Rising and 5
    2. 3 (Subsistence)
    3. Twin Snakes
    4. 3
    5. 4
    Metal Gear games from best to worst that I've beaten:
    1. Twin Snakes

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    God I wish Twin Snakes would get a port.

Preferably bundled with original MGS1. Cause boy are they fun to compare.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Oh wait are we including Revengeance?

Ok yeah take my list and put it on the ground and then shoot Revengeance into orbit.

There we go.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I'm trying to think of game series that you'd recommend to someone who was really into metal gear and wanted more of that kind of gameplay, but I'm really coming up short

like I guess for one thing the MGS games all differ from each other pretty heavily in terms of gameplay mechanics and feel

but even then I don't really have much... like I guess splinter cell is kinda the same... theme? atmosphere? as MGS, but not nearly as stuffed with kojima-rambling about weird movies or comic relief bits

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    You should recommend the other game series by the developers, Bayonetta

• Options
    Aesthetically there's a few games I think that scratch the itch. Deus Ex HR really felt like that same level of brilliant but also goofy writing, high concept plot stuff with memes tossed in. Dishonored also has that kinda, serious plot but silly gameplay that kinda feels similar in the way, like half the appeal is just messing with the AI in creative ways.

Even Crysis and the wacky sequels kinda have a somewhat MGS vibe but way, way more shallow end of the pool

• Options
    splinter cell is far too tom clancy for me to compare it favorably to kojima's stuff

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Brolo wrote: »
    I'm trying to think of game series that you'd recommend to someone who was really into metal gear and wanted more of that kind of gameplay, but I'm really coming up short

like I guess for one thing the MGS games all differ from each other pretty heavily in terms of gameplay mechanics and feel

but even then I don't really have much... like I guess splinter cell is kinda the same... theme? atmosphere? as MGS, but not nearly as stuffed with kojima-rambling about weird movies or comic relief bits

It depends on what they like about MGS. If it's Kojima, they should play Zone of the Enders 2. If it's the spy theme, Splinter Cell (3 or Blacklist ideally). Ultimately, as seen in the thread here, some people don't even feel that every Metal Gear title has the elements they like from their favored ones, so finding an exact replacement is tough.