Options

[chat] is Beautiful

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Sociopathy is one hundred percent real and many people in high authority positions have elements of sociopathy. Sociopaths also have different physiology, lack key startle/fear responses, and have changes in amygdala and frontal cortex. Yeah "normal people" can do awful things but there really are large deficits in empathy in true sociopaths.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Phone: *at 100% because I charged it last night like a good boy*
    Phone: *shuts off randomly*
    *I boot my phone back up*
    Phone: 10%
    Phone: *shuts off again*
    Phone: 100%
    *phone shuts off again, goes back to 10%*

I think my phone might be starting to die

I've had a very similar issue, that turned out to be the battery being unable to supply enough voltage, so the phone just shut down (even when at 100%), and insisted the battery was 100% drained. It could boot again when I plugged the carger in, and said like 10-15%, which while low, isn't drained. It then "charged" back up to 100% within 10 minutes, until it shut down the next time under a little load that exceeded what the battery could provide.

It is why apple developed the thing that got them all the bad press where phones started performing slower as they got older.

Because of how their processor design works, you have big cores and little cores, and the big cores engage when you need to do something substantial, like encode a video or play a game. But when those cores open up, you need more power. And batteries get worse at delivering peak voltage over time.

So Apple made it that if the battery was getting to the point where it would underdeliver / cause the phone to power off or crash during peak loads, they would throttle the peak loads to keep the phone alive and running. And even a degraded battery can work just fine on the little cores and the throttled big ones.

Which, of course proved the conspiracy that Apple purposefully throttles old phones and forces you to upgrade and it was a whole thing.

But yes, what you are experiencing sounds like that. It you have an iPhone, go into the battery settings and see if the Peak Performance Capability is disabled or whatever - that might let you use the phone a bit longer, until you get the battery replaced or buy a new one.

i feel like this was the kind of thing it was totally reasonable to expect most people to just get upset about and not really understand

Cheaper to get a new phone than a replacement battery

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    similar to a "what is talent?" question

it's a lot of training but it's not just training

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    I think the pop sci perception of "sociopathy" is mostly a fiction, an urban myth

We love stories about people with some crucial empathic component missing

I don't think that's necessary to explain how authority and power consistently distort behaviour, or how people can be enormous assholes

I do think that the reduction of the antisocial behavior of people to some nature of mental deficiency is oftentimes a bit too conveniently Othering.

This one is one of the Bad Ones who is essentially different from you and me, and our primary problem is identifying the Bad Ones and making sure they are not allowed to participate in society, and if someone has wronged you it is probably because they are one of the Bad Ones, and once we have removed all the Bad Ones everything will be fine.

The sheer number of people refusing to wear masks ruined the idea that sociopathy was abnormal.

• Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    Is it a faux pas to put a "Praise for..." section on your CV like those newspaper snippets you find on paperback books?

• Options
    Husband bought some of those ceramic wash balls for laundry that "lower the pH of the water" and can be used for thousands of washes with no detergent. 😩

First load actually smells fine and is clean but now I think maybe both detergent and these balls are a scam.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

I've had a very similar issue, that turned out to be the battery being unable to supply enough voltage, so the phone just shut down (even when at 100%), and insisted the battery was 100% drained. It could boot again when I plugged the carger in, and said like 10-15%, which while low, isn't drained. It then "charged" back up to 100% within 10 minutes, until it shut down the next time under a little load that exceeded what the battery could provide.

It is why apple developed the thing that got them all the bad press where phones started performing slower as they got older.

Because of how their processor design works, you have big cores and little cores, and the big cores engage when you need to do something substantial, like encode a video or play a game. But when those cores open up, you need more power. And batteries get worse at delivering peak voltage over time.

So Apple made it that if the battery was getting to the point where it would underdeliver / cause the phone to power off or crash during peak loads, they would throttle the peak loads to keep the phone alive and running. And even a degraded battery can work just fine on the little cores and the throttled big ones.

Which, of course proved the conspiracy that Apple purposefully throttles old phones and forces you to upgrade and it was a whole thing.

But yes, what you are experiencing sounds like that. It you have an iPhone, go into the battery settings and see if the Peak Performance Capability is disabled or whatever - that might let you use the phone a bit longer, until you get the battery replaced or buy a new one.

i feel like this was the kind of thing it was totally reasonable to expect most people to just get upset about and not really understand
    I mean, it ties back to the whole anti-consumer stance of just not letting us replace our own batteries. It's simply one of the knock on effects of this.

yeah in the case of Apple in particular it is also a right to repair issue

but also i don't know how many spare batteries they continue to manufacture after new models come out and if there are different form factors and stuff that make the new ones incompatible since battery size and space is a constant moving target in phone development particularly

it's complicated

Considering battery size has mostly moved in the direction of smaller and smaller form factors for the last 10 years it seems like it would be trivial to create replacements.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Feral wrote: »
    I think the pop sci perception of "sociopathy" is mostly a fiction, an urban myth

I don't think that's necessary to explain how authority and power consistently distort behaviour, or how people can be enormous assholes

Who else do you think rises to the top echelons of authority and power?

Your average garden variety asshole is not a sociopath.

But you're not going to become and stay the CEO of a Fortune 500 company with your empathy circuits fully functional.

Being on the path toward high-level corporate management seems like a path that directly trains and conditions empathy out of you. I don't buy this idea that there's a crop of babies born with evil defect brains climbing the ranks of society because they're unhampered by morals.
    Im sorry that you want there to be a narrative that you like re: etiology of disease? Wtf....

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular

I do think that the reduction of the antisocial behavior of people to some nature of mental deficiency is oftentimes a bit too conveniently Othering.

This one is one of the Bad Ones who is essentially different from you and me, and our primary problem is identifying the Bad Ones and making sure they are not allowed to participate in society, and if someone has wronged you it is probably because they are one of the Bad Ones, and once we have removed all the Bad Ones everything will be fine.

Here's the counterpoint tho. It's often been said (I'm not going to look up specific quotes about it right now, but I could go digging if challenged) that the US's federal legislative system was designed by the founding fathers with the presumption that everybody involved is operating on good faith. As the argument goes, the presumption is that that all of the legislators and the President and the candidates genuinely want to do good for their constituents, and they just have disagreements about how to go about it or what the priorities should be. However, various times in history (like right now, with McConnell) have shown us that this presumption isn't always safe, that there are people who end up in Washington who are happy to burn down the entire nation or even the world if it gets them the slightest advantage.

And, logically, this tracks. Narcissists are drawn to attention and fame; sociopaths are drawn to power. We should expect that the seats of power will have greater prevalence of narcissism and antisocial personalities than the general population.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Husband bought some of those ceramic wash balls for laundry that "lower the pH of the water" and can be used for thousands of washes with no detergent. 😩

First load actually smells fine and is clean but now I think maybe both detergent and these balls are a scam.

We have the balls in the dryer instead of using dryer sheets.

They actually work well.

They also shaped like penguins.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

if you aren't sweating profusely and smearing your clothes with dirt, detergent may be fairly unnecessary in a lot of cases

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    As a connoisseur of bad takes, I think I just saw the one to rule them all

By god
    Is it as bad as the one by some conservative goose that my friend was arguing against on Facebook?
    "The Founding Fathers never cared about the lives of some Africans."
    And he just had to, like, peace out of the conversation because this person was so far gone.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    As a connoisseur of bad takes, I think I just saw the one to rule them all

By god

Sometimes a discussion hits a point where I just see the river going over the waterfall coming up and I just nope out to shore instead of staying in that boat.

Really I should learn to do it earlier.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

I mean, it ties back to the whole anti-consumer stance of just not letting us replace our own batteries. It's simply one of the knock on effects of this.

but also i don't know how many spare batteries they continue to manufacture after new models come out and if there are different form factors and stuff that make the new ones incompatible since battery size and space is a constant moving target in phone development particularly

it's complicated

Not to mention the serous engineering and design changes that come along with making the battery accessible
    I remember my first Motorola smart phone where the back flew off and the battery feel out every time it got dropped and banged.

• Options

Detergent is just a kind of soap that helps to get the oils out of your clothes. If your clothes are not very oily it's not going to do as much.

• Options
    i wouldn't call it a scam though. imagine showering with just water

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    As a senior software engineer I make six figures and the first figure isn't 1. And I it is absolutely true that every person working at a supermarket, restaurant, hospital, school etc... work harder than I do. Both more hours and more physically demanding work. So by that measure vastly overpaid.

But if you go by the usual capitalist metric that if you cant hire people into a job for $x it should really pay $x + more then I am vastly underpaid. Cause it is incredibly hard to hire people into this job and its always a scramble between employers over someone who can do it. In practice what we end up doing is hiring people who we think might someday work out then spend about a year seeing if they do.

If this was a retail job it would be like if the entire first year on the job all an employee did was bumble around occasionally making messes they can't clean up while the current employees spend a lot of time coaching them hoping they learn. And after a year maybe half of them do if you are lucky.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

They actually work well.

Dryer balls work well and studies show they do work. These are v expensive washer balls. It was an MLM in the 90s. And 80s. Now there's a few quite successful Kickstarters.

• Options
    I think some dermatologists argue that we should be just showering with water.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    similar to a "what is talent?" question

it's a lot of training but it's not just training

Preternatural understanding of dynamic relationships, combined with physical and/or mental alacrity to execute and insinuate

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular

it's complicated

Not to mention the serous engineering and design changes that come along with making the battery accessible
    I remember my first Motorola smart phone where the back flew off and the battery feel out every time it got dropped and banged.

my phone protector would prevent that now

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    This is near my house

Should go and walk the dog along and have a look

• Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    Oh no a core of people from the office (o look it’s 8 white guys between the ages of 30 and 50) have been invited to get a drink after work today
    1. It’s in SE
    2. I’m not vaccinated yet
    3. My workaholic boss will be there and also the annoying consultant boss will be there
    4. I have moral philosophy class

But also I know this is the sort of event you’re really supposed to go to

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhh

nooooooooo

it's cold today so even if it is outside it'll be uncomfortable

also #2!

• Options

and they are dumb

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021

But you're not going to become and stay the CEO of a Fortune 500 company with your empathy circuits fully functional.

Being on the path toward high-level corporate management seems like a path that directly trains and conditions empathy out of you. I don't buy this idea that there's a crop of babies born with evil defect brains climbing the ranks of society because they're unhampered by morals.

Are you saying that 1) antisocial personality disorder doesn't exist, or 2) that it isn't overly represented the higher up the social echelons you go, or 3) that it isn't something people are born with, or 4) that people with it aren't evil or defects?

I will tentatively agree with 3 and 4 (with caveats), but this comment (and others you've made in the past) make it sound like you think that the opposites of 1 and 2 are either untrue or unimportant. Whereas I think the opposite statement to #2 is incredibly important, possibly one of the most important things we need to figure out about our species, and it's our inability to grapple with that fact that has caused the vast majority of preventable suffering today and throughout history.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Not to mention the average washing machine will probably have residual detergent stuck in it for a while, even after you stop using detergent.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    I only use soap in very specific places.

• Options
    If this was a retail job it would be like if the entire first year on the job all an employee did was bumble around occasionally making messes they can't clean up while the current employees spend a lot of time coaching them hoping they learn. And after a year maybe half of them do if you are lucky.
    So... a typical retail job? :D

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Sociopathy is one hundred percent real and many people in high authority positions have elements of sociopathy. Sociopaths also have different physiology, lack key startle/fear responses, and have changes in amygdala and frontal cortex. Yeah "normal people" can do awful things but there really are large deficits in empathy in true sociopaths.

I think a big problem is that the way we colloquially use the word sociopath and the clinical definition of sociopath don’t point at the same thing
    I’d guess the clinical definition of sociopath doesn’t always perfectly overlap the people with measurable brain changes either

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

and they are dumb

I will continue oiling myself and removing it with a scraper, like a normal person

• Options
    more seriously what i meant was you can probably get away with showering without soap a lot of the time but there are times you are definitely going to need soap

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

Im sorry that you want there to be a narrative that you like re: etiology of disease? Wtf....

What do you mean when you say "sociopathy"? When I was working on correctional psych material, it basically never came up. They only ever discussed antisocial personality disorder, which had physiological indicators as you described but was very frequently associated with disastrous issues in early life.

On the other hand, we've all read the articles about children who compulsively try to drown their siblings or whatever — not just lacking empathy but feeling extreme, violent impulses and lacking the control to restrain them, etc

Everything about disorders like this that I've read suggests that these people would be very bad at performing in an office job. I have heard the X% of CEOs are sociopaths figure, but it's usually in the same breath as figures about how many spiders you eat when you're asleep or etc

• Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

They actually work well.

ours are sheep

• Options
    maybe CEOs eat more spiders in their sleep and that is why they are stronger

• Options

Are you saying that 1) antisocial personality disorder doesn't exist, or 2) that it isn't overly represented the higher up the social echelons you go, or 3) that it isn't something people are born with, or 4) that people with it aren't evil or defects?

I will tentatively agree with 3 and 4 (with caveats), but this comment (and others you've made in the past) make it sound like you think that the opposites of 1 and 2 are either untrue or unimportant. Whereas I think the opposite statement to #2 is incredibly important, possibly one of the most important things we need to figure out about our species, and it's our inability to grapple with that fact that has caused the vast majority of preventable suffering today and throughout history.
    100% agree. It's a blight on our society.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular

This is probably more general, but just in case, this isn't really what I was trying to say. I don't think it's so clearly dileneated between 'normals' and 'sociopaths'. Nothing is ever that simple.

More that I think people expect others to treat them in a way that they would assume they themselves would behave, and that's the exception, not the norm.

• Options
    credeiki wrote: »

I think a big problem is that the way we colloquially use the word sociopath and the clinical definition of sociopath don’t point at the same thing
    I’d guess the clinical definition of sociopath doesn’t always perfectly overlap the people with measurable brain changes either
    Yeah, sociopathy is one of the many words poisoned by pop culture and media. Along with gaslighting (although this term literally comes from pop culture), problematic, pretentious, etc.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Is there a more appropriate clinical term to describe the very, very, very large portion of people who have little concern for people who are not themselves but who are not suffering from some sort of disorder?

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

Are you talking about ASPD or Psychopathy? In either case, I think there are some serious issues with how these disorders are defined.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Ok yeah fuck it I’m not going to go to happy hour across town with people I don’t like

I said thanks for the invite but unfortunately my social calendar is closed until two weeks after may 17 when I’ll be fully vaccinated

Thank you covid for giving me excuses

Also let’s ignore the total inconsistency where
    I’ve had happy hour with my favorite data scientists a couple weeks ago (they won’t tell on me though)

Steam, LoL: credeiki
This discussion has been closed.