Options

[chat] is Beautiful

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    aww this unreal tutorial that is good doesn't delve deep enough to cover more than i already know

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Phone: *at 100% because I charged it last night like a good boy*
    Phone: *shuts off randomly*
    *I boot my phone back up*
    Phone: 10%
    Phone: *shuts off again*
    *I boot my phone back up*
    Phone: 100%
    *phone shuts off again, goes back to 10%*

I think my phone might be starting to die

I've had a very similar issue, that turned out to be the battery being unable to supply enough voltage, so the phone just shut down (even when at 100%), and insisted the battery was 100% drained. It could boot again when I plugged the carger in, and said like 10-15%, which while low, isn't drained. It then "charged" back up to 100% within 10 minutes, until it shut down the next time under a little load that exceeded what the battery could provide.

It is why apple developed the thing that got them all the bad press where phones started performing slower as they got older.

Because of how their processor design works, you have big cores and little cores, and the big cores engage when you need to do something substantial, like encode a video or play a game. But when those cores open up, you need more power. And batteries get worse at delivering peak voltage over time.

So Apple made it that if the battery was getting to the point where it would underdeliver / cause the phone to power off or crash during peak loads, they would throttle the peak loads to keep the phone alive and running. And even a degraded battery can work just fine on the little cores and the throttled big ones.

Which, of course proved the conspiracy that Apple purposefully throttles old phones and forces you to upgrade and it was a whole thing.

But yes, what you are experiencing sounds like that. It you have an iPhone, go into the battery settings and see if the Peak Performance Capability is disabled or whatever - that might let you use the phone a bit longer, until you get the battery replaced or buy a new one.

i feel like this was the kind of thing it was totally reasonable to expect most people to just get upset about and not really understand
    I mean, it ties back to the whole anti-consumer stance of just not letting us replace our own batteries. It's simply one of the knock on effects of this.

yeah in the case of Apple in particular it is also a right to repair issue

but also i don't know how many spare batteries they continue to manufacture after new models come out and if there are different form factors and stuff that make the new ones incompatible since battery size and space is a constant moving target in phone development particularly

it's complicated

It is complicated, but Apple does make it clear how long they will make spare parts for things based upon their categorization.

https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/service/battery-power

It looks like the iPhone 6, a seven year old device, is the oldest phone they officially make batteries for, and its 50 bucks to get a brand new one.

Apple definitely has their margin capture bullshit (I am looking squarely at their cables and staring fucking hard), but they do have a reasonably consumer-friendly stance on replacing the batteries for a fair price. Not as consumer friendly as user-swappable batteries, but I am not sure any phone maker is on that particular train any more, especially with just how strange batteries have gotten.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    I mean there are acid/base functionalized ceramics. But they would obviously buffer out after a few washes.

Maybe it slowly dissolves and the “ceramic” is misleading.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    But like, that comment about seeing how many people don't wear masks showing that sociopathy is rampant

I think that's ridiculous! Maybe it's an off the cuff joke. But you don't have to be a sociopath to refuse to wear masks! People who don't wear masks seem to do so for a variety of reasons: they don't believe masks are effective, they don't believe COVID is real, they believe individual liberty is more important than even millions of lives and think the moral position is more important. Even that last one isn't sociopathic — it's just politically extreme, and probably combined with the other two to some degree.

We are EXTREMELY willing to blame a brain condition for social problems instead of blaming, you know, social factors.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    I also recognize that when I talk about this, I jump between narcissists and sociopaths pretty freely. Not because I think they're the same thing (they're very different) but because they manifest similarly, especially in positions of wealth and power. They also tend not to seek diagnosis.

Example: it is abundantly clear that Trump is a narcissist. Does he end up in any statistics? Has he ever been officially diagnosed? Doubtful.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I want to see the product page for the balls

This is the one that we have
    https://www.ecoegg.com/

I didn't buy it, cesca got it when on a waste plastic reducing kick so the extent that I knew about it was that the pellets were supposedly good for 50 washes, then need replacing, which caused me to assume it was just some kind of slowly dissolving solid detergent

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    I mean look also it could be entirely true that 80% of CEOs have ‘sociopathic tendencies’; because ‘sociopathic tendencies’ is a weak, colloquial phrase, that could just mean, 40 CEOs in a survey of 50 CEOs answered ‘yes’ to a question like “I sometimes prioritize the success of my business over the feelings of my employees” or whatever

It’s such a meaningless little factoid or data point even if it is true

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    credeiki wrote: »
    I mean look also it could be entirely true that 80% of CEOs have ‘sociopathic tendencies’; because ‘sociopathic tendencies’ is a weak, colloquial phrase, that could just mean, 40 CEOs in a survey of 50 CEOs answered ‘yes’ to a question like “I sometimes prioritize the success of my business over the feelings of my employees” or whatever

The specific claim is "clinically significant", as in, could plausibly lead to a clinical diagnosis

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    I also recognize that when I talk about this, I jump between narcissists and sociopaths pretty freely. Not because I think they're the same thing (they're very different) but because they manifest similarly, especially in positions of wealth and power. They also tend not to seek diagnosis.

Example: it is abundantly clear that Trump is a narcissist. Does he end up in any statistics? Has he ever been officially diagnosed? Doubtful.

With Trump there's basically a lifetime of media presence and video as evidence. Not a clinical diagnosis but better than declaring the CEO who was a jerk to you a few times is certifiable.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    I would kill for a new iMac with target display mode.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Work day is almost over.

I think it's time to open a beer and relax.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options

Why did Trump become a narcissist though?

I'd like to see how many narcissists/sociopaths in power also happened to come from wealth and privilege, as opposed to more humble beginnings

• Options
    Elki wrote: »

20% of D&D mods display sociopathic tendencies

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021
    Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    EM are you a secret millionaire and worried you're going to become a sociopath?

You can tell me. I got you

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular

Does this make you a sociopath or a narcissist

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

I'd like to see how many narcissists/sociopaths in power also happened to come from wealth and privilege, as opposed to more humble beginnings

He is from an extremely abusive family and that is pretty well known.

But I mean it isn't an excuse either.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    japan wrote: »

I didn't buy it, cesca got it when on a waste plastic reducing kick so the extent that I knew about it was that the pellets were supposedly good for 50 washes, then need replacing, which caused me to assume it was just some kind of slowly dissolving solid detergent

FrauCron has been muttering about something like that, though i don't know what one she has her eye on and I'm very skeptical about it in general.
    She has bought some kind of replacement for kitchen sponges which is made from coconut fibers or somesuch, so it's biodegradable, apparently.
    But I'm holding off on googling that product because my gut feeling is it'll turn out to be worse that traditional plastic stuff somehow.

Now Playing:
    Celeste [Switch] - She'll be wrestling with inner demons when she comes...
  • Options
    so Wizards went to Hard Drive Mag, said "hey, you wanna preview some upcoming promo cards?"

Hard Drive Mag said "yes!"

and Wizards sent them those

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    credeiki wrote: »

The specific claim is "clinically significant", as in, could plausibly lead to a clinical diagnosis

Ah ok that is somewhat more meaningful

I looked into this when my ex was training as a psychiatrist, since at the time the prevailing meme was that I was a sociopath, and I was like oh shit am I really? But no, not at all (and it was also fairly shitty for that to be a meme about me; it was, I think, because I didn’t demonstrate affection/caring in the language and gestures expected of a young woman, and therefore it was assumed that the caring wasn’t there—which, nah).

But as has been mentioned, the diagnostic criteria are so connected to criminal history/failure to cope or thrive in society that it’s just very odd and the diagnostic criteria don’t quite seem to match what we want to get at when we say sociopath.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Whenever Harley wants food or attention she jumps up and makes this bleeping noise

It kinda sounds like when Mario gets a mushroom in the original NES game

What a looney tune

• Options
    edited April 2021

Hypothesis: If sociopathy has a genetic component, and sociopaths are drawn to wealth and power, then we would expect both the genes and the wealth to pass down along lineages.

Feral on

• Options
    Narcissism and borderline personality are both like, revelatory labels to read about. You're like, oh, shit, I know this person. This is an archetype of social dysfunction.

But all that does is tell us warning signs and tendencies for this cluster of similar problems, and maybe offer some interventions with a good track record. That's incredibly useful, but it doesn't make those labels some discrete, essential category of human beings.

I know we all know this, but we strongly tend to react to these diagnoses as though they are essential, discrete categories, and that is very true for sociopaths, and I think it is absolutely vital to be skeptical of essential, discrete categories for human beings.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    If you made the text on a Yu Gi Oh card readable, they'd look like those no-art lands. :)

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »

He is from an extremely abusive family and that is pretty well known.

But I mean it isn't an excuse either.

I'm honestly not sure what the etiology for sociopathy is and I'm not making any claim to whether it's more genetic or acquired or if there's a genetic risk factor that can be activated by environment triggers or anything else.

For narcissism, though, I semi-strongly believe that there are genetic risk factors that get activated by environmental triggers, notably abuse.

• Options

Hypothesis: If sociopathy has a genetic component, and sociopaths are drawn to wealth and power, then we would expect both the genes and the wealth to pass down along lineages.

"Has a genetic component" is a hypothesis that needs an enormous amount of support

The same argument could be made about some kind of poverty gene, and has been.

• Options
    HerrCron wrote: »

FrauCron has been muttering about something like that, though i don't know what one she has her eye on and I'm very skeptical about it in general.
    She has bought some kind of replacement for kitchen sponges which is made from coconut fibers or somesuch, so it's biodegradable, apparently.
    But I'm holding off on googling that product because my gut feeling is it'll turn out to be worse that traditional plastic stuff somehow.

Coir scourers are fine, or at least not a scam

It gets used as a non damaging polishing abrasive in industry and for power tool polishing pads, so it's a legit thing, and it composts

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    FUCKING ALLERGIES STOP HAVING SEX YOU STUPID TREES

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    You see a turtle lying upside
    Narcissism and borderline personality are both like, revelatory labels to read about. You're like, oh, shit, I know this person. This is an archetype of social dysfunction.

But all that does is tell us warning signs and tendencies for this cluster of similar problems, and maybe offer some interventions with a good track record. That's incredibly useful, but it doesn't make those labels some discrete, essential category of human beings.

I know we all know this, but we strongly tend to react to these diagnoses as though they are essential, discrete categories, and that is very true for sociopaths, and I think it is absolutely vital to be skeptical of essential, discrete categories for human beings.
    But what if I have a deep desire to sort people into discrete categories like little psychological Pokemon.....

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    knitdan wrote: »

Does this make you a sociopath or a narcissist

When desk space is at a premium, we all do what we can to cope. And they’re such nice screens.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options

"Has a genetic component" is a hypothesis that needs an enormous amount of support

The same argument could be made about some kind of poverty gene, and has been.

Just quoting what I said above (because our posts got crossed): I'm honestly not sure what the etiology for sociopathy is and I'm not making any claim to whether it's more genetic or acquired or if there's a genetic risk factor that can be activated by environment triggers or anything else.

Regarding poverty, there definitely is a similar effect in that inherited mental illness is going to reduce your earnings potential, which contributes to poverty. That's not the same as saying there's a poverty gene, or that most people in poverty have inherited mental illnesses, but that there's necessarily going to be higher prevalence of mental illness among the poor.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    As a neurodiverse person, ie an Aspie, I have that stereotype about having "severely reduced empathy".

Please don't confuse your inability to read my expressed emotions as a lack of empathy.

• Options

Yeah—when we as moderately educated laypeople say ‘sociopath’, we are referring to a pretty broad umbrella which includes people with some sort of brain defect from birth, people with some sort of brain defect from other causes, people with persistent bad patterns of behavior from birth (I mean also maybe this is a brain defect/we could call it that, but we don’t have to), people who start evincing bad behavior patterns after some event or as a result of being shaped by their surroundings, and even people who are currently temporarily displaying sociopathic behavior but haven’t before and won’t later.

In some cases it matters which category the person is in and in some cases it doesn’t really.

• Options
    But what if I have a deep desire to sort people into discrete categories like little psychological Pokemon.....

9iBBzMo.jpg

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

9iBBzMo.jpg

tag urself I'm HDMI

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

9iBBzMo.jpg

Further proof of my claim teachers are like Stalin

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Echo wrote: »
    As a neurodiverse person, ie an Aspie, I have that stereotype about having "severely reduced empathy".

Please don't confuse your inability to read my expressed emotions as a lack of empathy.

Yeah for real

I don’t think I’m neuroatypical (ok except I wanna try amphetamines for my nonexistent adhd that maybe exists) but as mentioned above, people just don’t always expect the way I express care for others, and as such assume I don’t—and really, what a mean thing to think about a person! Why would that be the first assumption.

• Options

Oh, yes, totally. A single dopaminergic gene can be divided into discrete categories. Maybe there are exactly two polymorphisms of some dopaminergic gene, which means there are two categories of people: those with, and those without.

But if there are two dozen such genes with dozens of polymorphisms between them, then you have a spectrum. And that's not even getting into natal or environmental causes.

This discussion has been closed.