Options

[chat] is Beautiful

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    The 'do your job' guy wasn't somebody I worked with. He was somebody who used to be a friend (until it turned out he was a sexual harasser and I stopped talking to him)

He was trying to commiserate with me about shitty IT departments.

Me: "God, 99% of IT people are shitty."
    Him: "I know right? My IT guy gave me pushback when I requested a bigger hard drive."
    Me: "Oh really? How big?"
    Him: "Does it matter?"
    Me: "Well, kinda. What sort of dev work do you do?"
    Me: "Yeah, it matters. We don't fulfill hardware requisitions unless they're justified."
    Him: "You should! That's your job! Your job is to give me the hardware I need to do my job. Just do your job! That's all I ask. Do your job."
    Me: "Sure, but we need to make sure you actually need it first, which means getting a justification for the requisition."
    Him: "The justification is that I asked for it. I shouldn't need to explain my job to IT just to get the hardware I need."
    Me: "Um. Okay. We're just gonna have to agree to disagree there. I'm gonna... um... go refill my drink."

If someone can't even string together a single sentence about like "because the damn git repo is 400 gigabytes" or some such they don't deserve a new HD

At my job, I have folks in marketing who edit advertisements. They do Adobe After Effects work on video files, and they might edit a few hours of footage into a 30 second spot. After Effects requires 3D acceleration, and video files are enormous of course. So no sweat, three or four lines in a requisition request saying that, and these guys get discrete Nvidia GPUs, i7 CPUs, 16GB RAM, and 4TB HDs. No big deal. Just work with us a little.

And every once in a blue moon, I encounter somebody (either at my workplace or outside of it) who is just like "No! *folds arms* Give me what I want, computer slave."

Arguing with people that don't know what I do about the specs I need has been like half my career.

Is it really even arguing if somebody asks why you need it and you tell them fuck you

sig.gif
  • Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    30XX did a balancing update with prototype augs so we should be seeing...less jank

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    The 'do your job' guy wasn't somebody I worked with. He was somebody who used to be a friend (until it turned out he was a sexual harasser and I stopped talking to him)

Him: "I know right? My IT guy gave me pushback when I requested a bigger hard drive."
    Me: "Yeah, it matters. We don't fulfill hardware requisitions unless they're justified."
    Him: "You should! That's your job! Your job is to give me the hardware I need to do my job. Just do your job! That's all I ask. Do your job."
    Me: "Sure, but we need to make sure you actually need it first, which means getting a justification for the requisition."
    Him: "The justification is that I asked for it. I shouldn't need to explain my job to IT just to get the hardware I need."
    Me: "Um. Okay. We're just gonna have to agree to disagree there. I'm gonna... um... go refill my drink."

If someone can't even string together a single sentence about like "because the damn git repo is 400 gigabytes" or some such they don't deserve a new HD

At my job, I have folks in marketing who edit advertisements. They do Adobe After Effects work on video files, and they might edit a few hours of footage into a 30 second spot. After Effects requires 3D acceleration, and video files are enormous of course. So no sweat, three or four lines in a requisition request saying that, and these guys get discrete Nvidia GPUs, i7 CPUs, 16GB RAM, and 4TB HDs. No big deal. Just work with us a little.

And every once in a blue moon, I encounter somebody (either at my workplace or outside of it) who is just like "No! *folds arms* Give me what I want, computer slave."

Arguing with people that don't know what I do about the specs I need has been like half my career.

Is it really even arguing if somebody asks why you need it and you tell them fuck you

Are you suggesting that "because Illustrator go chug chug" isn't a good enough answer?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Oh SHiiiiT I'm back!

Linux Admin RiiiiIIIICK!

Time to watch some TNG and check excel boxes different colors as servers are patched and try not to be too inebriated for government work

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

Are you suggesting that "because Illustrator go chug chug" isn't a good enough answer?

Seems like its probably good enough / equivalent to "After effects requires acceleration and video files are enormous "

sig.gif
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Lowered the amount of stone required to Raise ground using the hoe

Nice

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Mim wrote: »

Hey I started off believing in astrology

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    As a Libra, I'm predisposed to not believe in astronomy.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Is solunar tables astrology

• Options

Ridiculous. Everyone knows it’s Sagittarius.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I don't understand. I don't see any feet or butts.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ♐︎

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021

Yep. The bar I'm used to is super-duper low. Is it plausible? Can you talk about it intelligently with your boss in the room (or in the Slack conversation) for 15 minutes? Alright, you get what you're asking for.

The thing though is most of the people I work with are in teams, so it's not just going to be you - it's going to be you and six of your coworkers.

I'm going to steer the conversation away from "Does Doodmann need a 4TB hard drive" to "Does Doodmann's team need 4TB hard drives?" which means I'm also going to end up talking to your boss at some point.

Like Riemann said above, if the justification is "the damn git repo is 400 GB" then I'm going to ask, "Okay, who else needs a local cache of that git repo?" and then they're all going to be lined up for HD upgrades. The good news is that this 15 minute conversation might have bought new hard drives for six or ten or 100 people, depending on the size of your team and the other particulars of the situation.

If your justification is some one-off unique snowflake thing, and I talk to your boss and your boss says "yeah, he's is in a unique role, nobody else on the team does the same work he does," I'm not going to argue, I'm going to give you what you're asking for.

The goal isn't to be stingy with money. The $100 hard drive for one person isn't worth the time to have long protracted meeting about it. A half-hour meeting about it has already exceeded $100 in lost wages & overhead. The goals are twofold: first, to cut down on squeaky wheel syndrome. If you get a 4TB hard drive but the other people in your group don't, then that's unfair to them and they'll start putting in their own requisitions for other random shit. The second goal is to standardize hardware. When we have 1000 identical computers, we get efficiencies of scale from that. If we know that the 1-year failure rate of SSDs in that batch of 1000 is 10%, when we know to purchase 100 SSDs per year. Our helpdesk learns the signs of SSD failure and can diagnose it rapidly. We can also onboard people more rapidly, because we can get them the spec they need before they start. Even the weird problems get fixed faster - if one motherboard dies, we probably have a replacement motherboard in inventory already from an unused computer. Or we just give you a same-spec replacement computer entirely. If it's 900 identical computers of spec A and 100 identical computers of spec B, then you've made things a little less efficient, but not by much. When you have 900 identical computers, and 100 unique snowflakes each with their own hardware specs, then those 100 unique snowflakes end up burning a disproportionate amount of troubleshooting time

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    As an aries

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I've gotten a lot of traction on Facebook (where I can curate my friends list) by saying

"Hey, uh, men have body issues too, and seeing 'men are disgusting and I'm ashamed of myself for liking them' all the time kinda triggers that."

But I'd never do that on Twitter because Twitter is somehow even more of a hellscape than Facebook

I like to think it's just a different kind of hellscape. They are both equally bad in their own unique special ways.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    What actually brought the above example to mind was that when Microsoft started using git for source control a while back they found git just couldn't scale to the amount of code and number of engineers involved in the legacy codebase for windows. If someone was starting from scratch then of course there would be ways to organize the code such that it wouldn't need such a single giant repo but this is the part of windows codebase internally called "the swamp". All the backwards compat / legacy stuff that has evolved over the last 30 years.

So Microsoft re-architected git to scale several orders of magnitude beyond the previous largest use of the product. Which is now the version of git most people use.

At the time they just bought every single engineer in any way connected to windows development a new 1tb ssd hard drive. So maybe 10,000 of them?

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Elki wrote: »

Nice

Yup but a very double edged sword as all of the old tricks about raising ground no longer work

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I dumped Grandia 2 and got it working in a Dreamcast emulator. Woo.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    What actually brought the above example to mind was that when Microsoft started using git for source control a while back they found git just couldn't scale to the amount of code and number of engineers involved in the legacy codebase for windows. If someone was starting from scratch then of course there would be ways to organize the code such that it wouldn't need such a single giant repo but this is the part of windows codebase internally called "the swamp". All the backwards compat / legacy stuff that has evolved over the last 30 years.

So Microsoft re-architected git to scale several orders of magnitude beyond the previous largest use of the product. Which is now the version of git most people use.

At the time they just bought every single engineer in any way connected to windows development a new 1tb ssd hard drive. So maybe 10,000 of them?

The legacy situation sucks but it sounds like the modern response was the best they could do in that situation short of burning it all down.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options

The legacy situation sucks but it sounds like the modern response was the best they could do in that situation short of burning it all down.

Yeah. Every year various teams chip away at the swamp and modernize bits here and there but its a slow process.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    If astrology was real then it would've been in the bible

I don't see Jesus asking someone if they're a Taurus, do you?

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular

Nice

Yeah but you can't raise the ground 20 meters from the ocean floor in one click anymore.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    If astrology was real then it would've been in the bible

I don't see Jesus asking someone if they're a Taurus, do you?

There's a bunch of references to divination or signs based on stars / constellations in the Tanakh (aka old testament). That's probably part of the Babylonian influence on a lot of the writing.

But I don't remember anything like the kind of nonsense of modern astrology assigning people traits based on the date of their birth.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Is there anything worse than repeatedly refreshing the covid test results page to find out if you can go back to work in the morning?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    But we all know fire is the answer, right?

If win32s shit still works outside of an emulator ten years from now we deserve the alien invasion and subsequent glassing.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I’m a Pisces so I don’t know what that’s supposed to mean for my sexuality

Good at 69 maybe?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

Nice

Yup but a very double edged sword as all of the old tricks about raising ground no longer work

There's some weird side effects with the hoe update and the new terrain system as a small lump of ground in my fort that just wouldn't lower grew to about four times it's size (and also can't be lowered) when I had the audacity to touch it with the edge of the hoe's leveling ground circle.
    Not the end of the world, but certainly annoying.

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »

If win32s shit still works outside of an emulator ten years from now we deserve the alien invasion and subsequent glassing.

I know apple has convinced people that it's ok to completely ruin backwards compat and require people to re-purchase software (or just go screw as old software is never updated) every 2 years but it doesn't work like that for windows

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    TNG season 1 is amazing and it explains SO MUCH of The Orville

Like they just put Data through Starfleet, knowing nothing.

That's so insane even in a peaceful future

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    ♋️

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    syndalis wrote: »

I know apple has convinced people that it's ok to completely ruin backwards compat and require people to re-purchase software (or just go screw as old software is never updated) every 2 years but it doesn't work like that for windows

Slightly hyperbolic but touche.

That said, sometimes 20 year old shit doesn't need to run on the core OS if it keeps you from being able to move tech forward. Emulation and VMs are right there.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    i need a new inhaler which means contacting my doctor. nbd but also it makes me wonder why inhalers are regulated like is there an actual danger of misuse if we dont require a doctor to prescribe it?

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    Also Data's nips can cut glass. They should have programmed him a t-shirt under that onesie.

• Options
    Brody wrote: »
    Is there anything worse than repeatedly refreshing the covid test results page to find out if you can go back to work in the morning?

no, because your job will be like "oh, no results yet? come on in!"

just like my job

federal government, babyyyyyy

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    I’m a Pisces so I don’t know what that’s supposed to mean for my sexuality

Good at 69 maybe?

pisces are very emotional

you probably cry after sex

or during

or before

• Options
    *crying before*
    "oh my god, it's going to happen!"

*crying during*
    "oh my god, it's happening

*crying after*
    "oh my god, it happened."

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Jazz musicians. I’m honestly surprised when they make money in their field.

This discussion has been closed.