Options

[chat] is Beautiful

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    The 'do your job' guy wasn't somebody I worked with. He was somebody who used to be a friend (until it turned out he was a sexual harasser and I stopped talking to him)

He was trying to commiserate with me about shitty IT departments.

Me: "God, 99% of IT people are shitty."
    Him: "I know right? My IT guy gave me pushback when I requested a bigger hard drive."
    Me: "Oh really? How big?"
    Him: "Does it matter?"
    Me: "Well, kinda. What sort of dev work do you do?"
    Me: "Yeah, it matters. We don't fulfill hardware requisitions unless they're justified."
    Him: "You should! That's your job! Your job is to give me the hardware I need to do my job. Just do your job! That's all I ask. Do your job."
    Me: "Sure, but we need to make sure you actually need it first, which means getting a justification for the requisition."
    Him: "The justification is that I asked for it. I shouldn't need to explain my job to IT just to get the hardware I need."
    Me: "Um. Okay. We're just gonna have to agree to disagree there. I'm gonna... um... go refill my drink."

If someone can't even string together a single sentence about like "because the damn git repo is 400 gigabytes" or some such they don't deserve a new HD

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    she also did that female bisexual thing of "women are just all beautiful goddesses and men are disgusting sweat monsters and i feel viscerally ashamed that i am attracted to men" and i'm like, wow great yeah good talk

I absolutely hate it. I either need to teach the algorithm for my front page or I need frequent TikTok breaks. The ‘ladies I literally hate myself for this because men are gross ass trash but there is the one guy I do find cute, I’m sorry please don’t hate me for this as much as I hate myself for it’ stuff is uh

Not great

i hate it so much but also i don't feel like i can say much about it because i feel like people would be like "oh so you're not all mening right now huh"

she straight up wouldn't tell some of her friends we were dating and only told them "she had a partner" because i was a dude i mean c'mon

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited April 2021
    ioe2775raa40.png
    I like the Edge tab organizer better than Firefox. So much of the Internet is wasted space on the sides.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Oh SHIT! TNG first Holodeck episode featuring Detective Picard!

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    @Evil Multifarious I moved to firefox on my phone because chrome was becoming so bad. It is fine but more importantly I can run ublock on it.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    The 'do your job' guy wasn't somebody I worked with. He was somebody who used to be a friend (until it turned out he was a sexual harasser and I stopped talking to him)

Him: "I know right? My IT guy gave me pushback when I requested a bigger hard drive."
    Me: "Yeah, it matters. We don't fulfill hardware requisitions unless they're justified."
    Him: "You should! That's your job! Your job is to give me the hardware I need to do my job. Just do your job! That's all I ask. Do your job."
    Me: "Sure, but we need to make sure you actually need it first, which means getting a justification for the requisition."
    Him: "The justification is that I asked for it. I shouldn't need to explain my job to IT just to get the hardware I need."
    Me: "Um. Okay. We're just gonna have to agree to disagree there. I'm gonna... um... go refill my drink."

If someone can't even string together a single sentence about like "because the damn git repo is 400 gigabytes" or some such they don't deserve a new HD

At my job, I have folks in marketing who edit advertisements. They do Adobe After Effects work on video files, and they might edit a few hours of footage into a 30 second spot. After Effects requires 3D acceleration, and video files are enormous of course. So no sweat, three or four lines in a requisition request saying that, and these guys get discrete Nvidia GPUs, i7 CPUs, 16GB RAM, and 4TB HDs. No big deal. Just work with us a little.

And every once in a blue moon, I encounter somebody (either at my workplace or outside of it) who is just like "No! *folds arms* Give me what I want, computer slave."

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    I've heard the queer culture (as much as there is such a thing) embrace of astrology theorized to be a reaction to weaponized scientism against homosexuals and gender nonconforming people. And that sounded plausible.

People claiming the mantle of science and logic kept telling gay people they were bad so this is a subculture rejection of that.

That's the kind of thing where it's like

Yes that sounds extremely logical and makes sense

... And I don't trust any kind of explanation of human nature that makes human nature seem extremely logical, with simple and direct causes and effects

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Kana wrote: »
    I've heard the queer culture (as much as there is such a thing) embrace of astrology theorized to be a reaction to weaponized scientism against homosexuals and gender nonconforming people. And that sounded plausible.

People claiming the mantle of science and logic kept telling gay people they were bad so this is a subculture rejection of that.

... And I don't trust any kind of explanation of human nature that makes human nature seem extremely logical, with simple and direct causes and effects

i'm far more likely to believe that some grifters realised they could sell shiny rocks and smelly candles to gullible people and it took off

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

At my job, I have folks in marketing who edit advertisements. They do Adobe After Effects work on video files, and they might edit a few hours of footage into a 30 second spot. After Effects requires 3D acceleration, and video files are enormous of course. So no sweat, three or four lines in a requisition request saying that, and these guys get discrete Nvidia GPUs, i7 CPUs, 16GB RAM, and 4TB HDs. No big deal. Just work with us a little.

And every once in a blue moon, I encounter somebody (either at my workplace or outside of it) who is just like "No! *folds arms* Give me what I want, computer slave."

This is why you put your safe word in your email signature.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    There are tons of extremely wooey people who are anti-LGBT

Like a lot of alternative stuff is inundated with homophobes

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    she also did that female bisexual thing of "women are just all beautiful goddesses and men are disgusting sweat monsters and i feel viscerally ashamed that i am attracted to men" and i'm like, wow great yeah good talk

I absolutely hate it. I either need to teach the algorithm for my front page or I need frequent TikTok breaks. The ‘ladies I literally hate myself for this because men are gross ass trash but there is the one guy I do find cute, I’m sorry please don’t hate me for this as much as I hate myself for it’ stuff is uh

Not great

i hate it so much but also i don't feel like i can say much about it because i feel like people would be like "oh so you're not all mening right now huh"

she straight up wouldn't tell some of her friends we were dating and only told them "she had a partner" because i was a dude i mean c'mon

ydxo3puyb3wg.png

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options

I really was not expecting where that movie went, and anybody who claims to have seen it coming (without being spoiled on it) is a goddamn filthy liar

• Options
    The declining influence of traditional organized religions better explains the rise of astrology and whatnot outside of queer spaces as well.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

It could be a just so story, and like most things it is hard to test but I recall hearing this from serious people doing serious ethnography.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Sorry for Bothering You had a trailer that really did not set proper expectations

• Options
    edited April 2021
    I feel like there is a good chance some marketer out there decided they could make shitloads of money targeting astrology at queer people and went with it plus a lot of queer people not really being in other groups that are also rife with belief in astrology to compare queer communities with

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Couscous wrote: »
    There are tons of extremely wooey people who are anti-LGBT

Like a lot of alternative stuff is inundated with homophobes

There are just a lot of wooedy people, period.

All because nobody lets me rampage.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    I've gotten a lot of traction on Facebook (where I can curate my friends list) by saying

"Hey, uh, men have body issues too, and seeing 'men are disgusting and I'm ashamed of myself for liking them' all the time kinda triggers that."

But I'd never do that on Twitter because Twitter is somehow even more of a hellscape than Facebook

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Astrology is just fun and the harder life gets the more i slip into that world because it’s easy.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    My head hurts

I blame mim

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Chanus I'm watching this episode and there's a guy (one of a hundred I'm sure I'll recognize from TV) set to marry Troi and Lurch is in the background drunk and hitting gongs.

Also Trois mom is a fucking nightmare.

She is in early TNG yes. She is also one of the best characters ever on DS9. And played by the wife of the original Star Trek creator.

for the record i love her and her portrayal in DS9 just makes her even better

also she was the voice of Computer

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    ioe2775raa40.png
    I like the Edge tab organizer better than Firefox. So much of the Internet is wasted space on the sides.

The default seems horrible. When I was in edge recently the tabs were sized such they I could only see the website icon which is...not helpful. And it wasn't even saving any space! The spot the tabs were before was just blank space.

• Options
    I still don't get how astrology is supposed to be fun

I mostly get annoyed when people try to summarize a person using any method because they are pretty much all nonsense or aren't useful to most people

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    I still don't get how astrology is supposed to be fun

I mostly get annoyed when people try to summarize a person using any method because they are pretty much all nonsense or aren't useful to most people

People fucking love the illusion of control and predictability.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Her servant was the original Lurch

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2021

Some real lunatic shit! Amazing that somebody could genuinely think that "It's your job to give me Bob's money, and I shouldn't have to explain why to you or Bob"

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Just because I have social phobia doesn't make me an introvert!

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Mim wrote: »
    Astrology is just fun and the harder life gets the more i slip into that world because it’s easy.

I just ordered a bitchin' tarot deck

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

I once requisitioned access to something because a friend was inexpertly conning me into doing so

I believed he was lying but couldn't get him to admit it so resignedly submitted the ask

It was just some internal system with a funny name, but my justification for it was something like "I'm on the XYZ team under Allen Brooks and I need it so that I can ABC the DEF" and they gave it to me. I like to think they suspected it was a mistake, but the plausible impact radius of falsely granting access was too small to justify learning who I was or what I was working on

sig.gif
  • Options
    My head hurts

I blame mim

look, if you like my butt, just say you like my butt

• Options
    Chanus wrote: »
    Chanus I'm watching this episode and there's a guy (one of a hundred I'm sure I'll recognize from TV) set to marry Troi and Lurch is in the background drunk and hitting gongs.

Also Trois mom is a fucking nightmare.

She is in early TNG yes. She is also one of the best characters ever on DS9. And played by the wife of the original Star Trek creator.

for the record i love her and her portrayal in DS9 just makes her even better

also she was the voice of Computer

Yeah normally when I watch a show on Amazon I stop to read the trivia but this is just really good so I'm gonna power through it then find a documentary or some of the actor's books to read.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Mim wrote: »

I just ordered a bitchin' tarot deck

bitchin tarot deck
    bitchin tarot deck
    i read cards for my neighbor

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2021

I really was not expecting where that movie went, and anybody who claims to have seen it coming (without being spoiled on it) is a goddamn filthy liar
    I know a fair number of people say that the third act twist takes them out of the film for being too outlandish but like

The point of the film is that it doesn't matter how outlandish something sounds if it's actually happening

And that convincing people that it's actually happening is not enough to make the system stop it from happening

In fact they might welcome it with open arms while proposing ways to monetize the rot

That's the message I get from the film, anyway. Like, replace it with "global warming" and see how it still lines up perfectly. You can't seriously be suggesting that companies knew that they were making the planet uninhabitable for decades and running a massive propaganda campaign to convince the public otherwise? That politicians would willingly propagate falsehoods about it despite knowing that it meant condemning their children and their children's children to a hellscape?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    eh, while I agree that it's bunk and harmful for the people that put too much stock in it, I like reading my horoscope. The one in the NZHerlad has to be generated by a bot.

HEQSD95l.png

dALBq4Xl.jpg

Z3bSZDjl.png

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Mortious wrote: »
    eh, while I agree that it's bunk and harmful for the people that put too much stock in it, I like reading my horoscope. The one in the NZHerlad has to be generated by a bot.

HEQSD95l.png

dALBq4Xl.jpg

Z3bSZDjl.png

people who put too much stock into anything can make that thing be bunk and harmful.

just let it be~

• Options
    people who put too much stock into anything can make that thing be bunk and harmful.
    But putting any stock into astrology makes it bunk because it is complete bunk

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    what about people who put too much stock into gamestop

• Options
    Winky wrote: »
    what about people who put too much stock into gamestop

we have no choice but to stan

sig.gif
  • Options
    The Big Goodbye (I've read the backstory on the episode as well) is amazing and from now on you fucking nerds if you want to get someone like me into TNG right off the bat link to that one first.

This discussion has been closed.