Options

[Giant Bomb] A website that still exists

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    GB's backbone, Rorie. Gone. That's rough. Did he mention where he'll end up?

I didn't catch it if he did, sorry

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Wow I kinda figured Rorie would be the one turning the lights off when it all came to an end

He's pretty divisive as a personality but there's no denying how integral he's been to keeping things running there

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Wow I kinda figured Rorie would be the one turning the lights off when it all came to an end

He's pretty divisive as a personality but there's no denying how integral he's been to keeping things running there

I'd argue that the writing is on the effing wall

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    Yeah, if Rorie is bailing he's either being forced out or Giant Bomb is on the way out. Who is GB now? Jan, Jeff, Jeff and Dan?

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Yeesh. Tick-tock.

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Just checked Rorie's twitter, and he has been basically silent for months there, huh? I remember him being a twitter *fiend* for a long while, postin' all day

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    For a while he just would shit post all day

Anyway, the fact that Rorie has something else lined up probably means he's leaving by choice/the place is a sinking ship. But compared to the alternative, being laid off with no warning, it's better than nothing.

He's not even front facing: if he's leaving, the new job is either awesome or the current one has issues.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    It's interesting because Jan is busy making videos and Jeff B is more of a addin rather than someone that stars in content, so Giant Bomb is basically a hybrid network between Jeff Grubb spilling news and Dan Ryckert being Dan Ryckert.

If either of them go, that's going to kind of be it for Giant Bomb as any kind of entity, it'll either become the Jeff Grubb or Dan Ryckert network.

• Options
    HyperSplattHyperSplatt Registered User regular
    Yeah, if Rorie is bailing he's either being forced out or Giant Bomb is on the way out. Who is GB now? Jan, Jeff, Jeff and Dan?

On the podcast, Rorie said that he wasn't looking to leave, but a friend approached him with an opportunity that he'd be a fool to refuse. Office politics being what they are, you can take that with a grain of salt, of course. But it's certainly plausible.

• Options
    The last time someone left for that type of "Oh of course I have to take this" job, it was Dan leaving for the WWE. And before that, Drew leaving to do a travel documentary Patreon.

If Rorie is saying the job was too good to pass up, I'll believe him.

Can you get paid to hug and play with dogs all day?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    The last time someone left for that type of "Oh of course I have to take this" job, it was Dan leaving for the WWE. And before that, Drew leaving to do a travel documentary Patreon.

I guess you haven’t subscribed to my onlyfans

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    It is still a lil funny to me that Dan basically found his absolute number one dream job, went "wait these people absolutely fucking suck ass" and went back to the next best thing he was best at.

My biggest concern about GB these days isn't about Giant Bomb itself dying, to be honest. I couldn't give a shit, it's just a brand - my concern is more about the people who are still there, and what kind of extra work they have to now put on their plates to keep delivering the good shit.
    (If Rorie leaving wasn't a result of downsizing, it would be nice if they were able to get a replacement hire for the backend stuff)

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Drew got fucked by the pandemic though didn't he? Either way, he got to do some amazing things for a few years, so good on him for taking the chance.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I really miss ClothMap.

• Options
    Watching Drew's Ukraine videos is a little surreal now.

• Options

On the podcast, Rorie said that he wasn't looking to leave, but a friend approached him with an opportunity that he'd be a fool to refuse. Office politics being what they are, you can take that with a grain of salt, of course. But it's certainly plausible.

It'd be pretty funny if that friend was Jeff Gerstmann and Rorie was going to be Jeff's first employee on The Jeff Gerstmann Podcast.

Danny did a good-natured shitpost about Rorie on twitter:

• Options
    According to Rorie's Twitter replies (he hasn't said anything yet, he's just replying to fans and former colleagues wishing him well), he seems to be staying in the Bay Area. Jeff has talked about how his pie in the sky idea is to build a team for his thing, but I don't know if it's going to be more remote people or an actual studio space in SoCal where he now lives.

GB always said not to fantasy book the territory, but someone on the r/giantbomb sub suggested that Rorie could go to Digital Eclipse, which might be cool. Tons of GB adjacent people work there now.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Nextlander has appeared to have stabilized at around 9.5k users, over the last few months - including January which can be a terrible month for patreons - but Jeff is still losing users month over month; he dropped below 5k for the first time on the 1st. He'll probably want to wait to figure out what he'll level out to, if he ever does, before he thinks about bringing in new people.

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

Drew got fucked by the pandemic though didn't he? Either way, he got to do some amazing things for a few years, so good on him for taking the chance.

The pandemic is what eventually scuttled the project, yeah. But he still got to live a dream and be a travel documentarian for a bit. He took a massive swing, and much respect for it, though I feel like the project was never quite what people/Patrons had hoped for in terms of output. He was one guy trying to put together all these videos, and even when he started booking people to help him, he still was the bottleneck on production. But the videos he did put together were meticulously produced.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    How is noclip doing? I haven't watched in forever.

• Options
    How is noclip doing? I haven't watched in forever.

I listen to their podcast, and from what I understand, they've grown a bit but are making the same/similar amounts of money, which is actually pretty good for how Patreon tends to work (most tend to start high and bleed off over time, so sustaining a base is good)

Right now they just did a Last of Us doc, and they're working on a series about getting a game released so that they can document how that works, since no dev will talk to them about that type of inside baseball bullshit with publishers and devs and stuff.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2026450/Stunt_Derby/

steam_sig.png

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

The pandemic is what eventually scuttled the project, yeah. But he still got to live a dream and be a travel documentarian for a bit. He took a massive swing, and much respect for it, though I feel like the project was never quite what people/Patrons had hoped for in terms of output. He was one guy trying to put together all these videos, and even when he started booking people to help him, he still was the bottleneck on production. But the videos he did put together were meticulously produced.

Yea, the documentaries he delivered were top notch. I should go re-watch the Ukrainian one.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I reeeeeeeeally enjoyed his "gaming/developing games in different countries" videos. Even ignoring the core premise, solid documentaries on life in those places.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular

Yea, the documentaries he delivered were top notch. I should go re-watch the Ukrainian one.

It's especially surreal to re-watch his video in Crimea now.
    I wonder how many people have been to both North Korea and occupied Crimea.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I love Bakalar's t-shirt

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/fXlBJ5dEsns

Okay, this is looking pretty great! Dan is saying a lot of the right things too.

And for anyone that hasn't listened to the 50th episode of The Fire Escape there is an entertaining segment where they put the 16 greatest remakes in a tournament to determine the best of all time.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Has Rorie said where he's going yet? He apparently said on a stream it's a game dev job, so that just stoked more people on the r/giantbomb sub to fantasy book and hope Rorie went to Digital Eclipse to work with Drew (or back to Sega to work on Alpha Protocol 2, lol)

steam_sig.png

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    He said he was going to formally announced it about a week. I forget exactly what he said, but it was something like a week from this past Monday.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    Oh I thought he said Monday meaning yesterday.

Anyway, I hope it works out, but it is a weird bummer that nobody seems to be talking about it much. It's like everyone was expecting it.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Wales Interactive is making a new FMV game about a father rescuing his daughter from a cult:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G5ey-9KQCQ

Really hoping that Nextlander/Vinny plays this. B)
    The series they did recently on that Chinese 'Gratitude School/Concentration Camp' FMV game (Breakout 13) was great. :)

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Aww even Rorie left?! He was the last of the OG GB crew. GB really is dying, or already dead. I only catch the occasional quick look these days.

• Options
    There is, despite the unfortunate leavings, actually some really solid ongoing content though. Blight Club, Demo Derby, and the Voicemail Dumptruck, along with the BombCast, has been a good rollout. Play It Forward has had some fun moments too. Demo Derby could be a bit more frequent, but its great! I recommend checking it out if you haven't yet.

Also Grubber Lang's Punch Out I don't always watch, but the ending for the latest episode was really something.

• Options
    I'm still like three months behind on Nextlander and Waypoint content (finally started trying to catch up instead of letting the backlog grow)

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Closest Dan will get to an actual Metal Gear simulator.

• Options
    I guess Dan never had time to visit the Steel Battalion room at PAX

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »

I appreciate the little touch like the greenscreened cockpit.

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    I wanted that controller so much growing up - probably a good thing I didn't have disposable income back then

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I don't think I ever got past the fifth or sixth mission. It's a great game, hard as hell, but the controller was definitely the biggest draw.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter