Options

[Giant Bomb] A website that still exists

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I think Jeff said Red Bull is the control for the energy drinks, so keep that in mind.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    Jeff's the energy drink Oppenheimer. He's gone too far. I saw his energy drink ranking lists, and became gravely concerned for his health. Has his dedication to science gone too far? Can a 46-year-old man really sustain that much energy drinkage? The man has kids, for god's sake.

I hadn't gotten much into Jeff's solo stuff after he got fired, but I saw someone compare Jeff's podcast to like early morning AM radio, and I started listening/watching with that in mind and am really enjoying his solo stuff. I was pure Nextlander with some light Fire Escape Cast, but Jeff is the absolute best background audio in 3.5 hour chunks.

He repeats himself and rambles a bit (natural given no guests), but it's nice to kind of devolve back to 2007, when the internet was way less fucking loud, listening to Jeff grumble and pontificate. Shit it's been 16 years why stop now?

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I do wish the Jeff Gerstmann show had like, at least one guaranteed guest/cohost/whatever every episode. I personally think podcasts work better as a conversation where people can bounce stuff off each other. I know he said he was looking at expanding stuff in the future but idk when that'll be.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Probably once he can reliably work without a sonic bed in his office.

• Options
    I still say that it's weird that him talking solo is such a bugbear for the audience when Jar Time and Garage Talk videos were so popular. It's Jeff, it's always been Jeff.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I didn't like those either. Long solo podcasts remind me too much of growing up with Rush Limbaugh in my ear and I've spent the last fifteen years getting away from that.

Not comparing Jeff G to that trash, but it's just the reminder. I need people playing off each other.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I liked Jar Time, but only as an occasional thing. I don't have it in me to do 3-ish hours of that weekly right now.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Jar Time was like one a month, if that. It's not a problem of him taking solo; it's that he's putting out a dozen hours of solo content a week now.

Like, he has a weekly podcast that is regularly three hours long. Three hours. Of just Jeff. The bombcast fills 3 hours and has like 4-5 people usually.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Yeah I love Jeff and all, but count me among the "that is just too much time to listen to any one individual with nothing to break it up"

• Options
    edited January 2023
    And honestly, while ignoring the fact that I'm way behind on the stuff I DO want to watch, if it was JUST Jeff and not Jeff, plus Nextlander, plus Waypoint plus Giant Bomb, I probably wouldn't mind so much, but there's so many places to go to get the tiny slivers of what's left of the Giant Bomb I loved, that having to focus that much time onto a solo enterprise just wasn't happening.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    jar time was a lot more structured too because it was basically a q&a. my memory of it he certainly spent a lot less time rambling himself in circles

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I love Jeff for three hours. Inject into my veins.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    I should also say that I'm very much in a different place in my life now compared to, say, 2011. I have a hard time keeping up with just the Bombcast, which I still listen to, and Nextlander. I do miss Jeff Gerstmann content and I'll probably look more into his stuff whenever I catch up on my queue of Retronauts podcasts. Currently have about 20 of those in the backlog!

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    I think of everything Jeff is doing my favorite thing is The Jeff Gerstmann Hall of Fame. He has done it a handful of times now and its really kind of Jeff content at its best where he is telling stories and talking about something passionately (I've always enjoyed the hateful rants when he goes on those too, but those are best when others are around to argue with Jeff or be baffled or amused by) while usually playing something rather obscure. Lots of fun tangents and his encyclopedic knowledge coming to the forefront. And a couple of the games he highlighted seemed really cool!

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    That's what I come back for.

Jeff's forgotten more about video games than I'll ever know. Video games and history are big hobbies for me, and he's like a goddamn historian and archivist and active personality - there's not many folks with the amount of game's knowledge he has, and is one of the very few that can justify a 3 hour solo podcast solely on his like sheer voluminous history and retention to callback on.

• Options
    He is singular. Nobody his age and with his knowledge/experience is still doing this job. They all quit or transition dev side, because this business has no plans for longevity. You're not supposed to make any money from it, and certainly not while maintaining your reputation and integrity as Jeff has. Jeff Green went dev side. Adam Sessler went dev side and spends his days yelling at people on Twitter.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I think Jeff might actually be the most knowledgeable person on the planet when it comes to both the breadth and depth of the game industry, whether currently active or retired/moved on. Obviously there are certain journalists who know more about specific franchises or genres, and lifelong devs who know more about a handful of companies, but as far as the totality of the industry goes, Jeff might just be the guy. Especially when it comes to being able to recall/comment on things on the fly.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Only one else up there is probably Andy McNamara, who definitely predates Jeff but also finally got out to work for EA.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    He's the Global Director Of Integrated Communications For Shooters and Star Wars at Electronic Arts (EA) which what the fuck does that even mean?

Only man aside from Jeff to attend all the E3's, too, no?

• Options
    Integrated communications is making sure that everything that comes from EA, whether it's traditional comms like press releases and ads and events to company and social media to podcast guesting and on and on are all saying generally the same things in generally the right ways. He does it for their shooters and star wars games.

It's exactly the kind of job you'd want to hire someone like Andy for. I'd bet a lot of former games journalists who know how people consume and receive all this stuff end up in these kinds of positions.

• Options
    Oh neat, thanks for explaining!

I remember a loooot of games journos becoming community managers for big publishers around 2007-2012, so I'm glad he got the biggest and best job by comparison.

• Options
    Yeah it’s the natural evolution and progression for community manager, since you’re basically managing how EA handles the community of the entire internet and world at large.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    The guy who took over from him at Game Informer, Andrew Reiner had worked there almost from the start...and also just recently left to work for Gearbox. Most of the original GI crew is gone by now, most to Minnmax.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    In regards to podcast sizing, it's why Game Mess Mornings might actually be one of my favorite Giant Bomb segments right now. It's regularly insightful, explicitly sets out to bounce ideas between two people and is long enough to cover the day's/week's news in enough detail but not too long that they're always going off-topic on some other weird shit (which is more preferably Bombcast/Dumptruck territory for me)

• Options
    When it just one show a week as GubbSnaxx, I was down, but GMM is now four hours a week, or more.

• Options
    Yeah, I weirdly went from GrubbSnaxx being a must listen to GMM being a never listen.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, tuning in daily isn't something I do and they don't really feel like something you can just put like a week's worth on in a row since they're all like, specifically talking about stuff going on that day, so I just fell off entirely. Which is too bad, I liked Grubbsnax and I think Jeff Grubb is a fun and interesting person to listen to.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    I get my dose of Grubbsnax on the Bombcast and that's enough for me. I do like Jeff Grubb a lot, though.

• Options
    Even Scoops and the Wolf was like a once or twice a week show at its peak. GB isn't a "news" site and never has been, so a daily bite sized news podcast seems ill fitting.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    That's surprising to me, though I guess the last few weeks have been eventful enough for me to feel differently about the ways people unpack the news

• Options
    That's surprising to me, though I guess the last few weeks have been eventful enough for me to feel differently about the ways people unpack the news

Honestly, if I were in the state of living I was ~10 years ago, I'd probably be all over Grubbsnax. Listening to a lot of podcasts just isn't compatible with my current life.

• Options
    edited February 2023
    I've said this ad nausium by now, but

1. Had Giant Bomb not exploded into multiple sites, each with personalities I like, that each put out a enough content that makes it hard to keep up and
    2. Had I not gotten completely burned out on gaming, and the industry as a whole, and
    3. Had I not basically fallen over a month behind on the stuff I do want to watch

Then I'd most likely be down with a week full of Grubb or the Jeff Gerstmann solo act.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I didn't really think about it, but all of those pretty much match me, also. Especially #2- games are still my primary hobby, however my enthusiasm for the industry as a whole has pretty much hit rock bottom. It's hard to care about the latest Ubisoft title when, to me at least, it pretty much looks like their last year's title with a few new bells and whistles, and also when giving them money means rewarding the worst kind of people at their top.

• Options
    edited February 2023

Damn we know that Fandom is some real dogwater at best, but if this was the kind of shit CNET was put through by RV I don't think Gamespot or GB would have lasted long either

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    Well in theory, GB is a personality based video site, so they couldn't just be AI generated. They also don't write articles.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    But they could, for example, push Steam key resellers. And have their career futures predicated on whether or not they produced video content suitable for such actions.

• Options
    GOAT Jeff Gerstmann is still a GOTY threat.

lk7dw5idlxuy.jpg

Love that Jeff was big on Tunic, that game fucking rules. Also really enjoyed how poorly that discord voting thing ran for his GOTY, such that so few games got more than one vote for most categories. He admits it was a learning experience, but I still wish he had someone too bounce off for GOTY.

• Options
    I wish I liked Tunic more than I did. I know Jeff was super into it but I fell off of it and never felt any desire to go back and finish it.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    I also really liked Tunic. Towards the end of the game, though, I had to just give up on some of the puzzles and look them up because I ran out of patience.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod
    I loved every inch and second of tunic

BahamutZERO.gif