As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Giant Bomb] A website that still exists

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    On one hand I am happy for Abby. On the other, G4 still exists?

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Nosf wrote: »
    On one hand I am happy for Abby. On the other, G4 still exists?

It died but they're bringing it back, November 16th: https://g4tv.com/
    Like for real. It's really coming back. There's a website with a fancy purple shape design with stars in it and everything. You might be asking, "Why relaunch a TV network about video games now? We already have Twitch and YouTube!" Great question, we'll think about it. In the meantime, here's what we CAN tell you...
    • G4 is a digital first network going live in 2021.
    • The network will feature gaming and pop culture shows plus epic live special programming. And an alpaca every now and then.
    • It will look awesome, but also kind of low budget at the same time.
    • We're doubling down on reruns of COPS and Cheaters.

Okay, that last one was a joke. The rest is true.

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Jeff’s TikTok is a twisted fever dream borne out of too much wrestling and video games and not nearly enough sleep.

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    And also honey buckets.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/9R8KgrAIIbY

Lots of Birdo lore revealed, random backstabbing, breaking of the Mushroom Kingdom economy, fun banter, and some surprisingly sharp looking mini games.

And a guest appearance by Tater Tot.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    And maybe the most ridiculous "Dan thinks he could do this if dared/bet to" I have ever seen.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    And maybe the most ridiculous "Dan thinks he could do this if dared/bet to" I have ever seen.

It's less insane when you realize Dan thought he'd be eating, vomiting, and then eating more.

It's still ridiculous, but at least feasible. Though I think Dan is seriously underestimating how utterly god awful he'd feel leading up to and after the first puke.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Spoiler regarding the true nature of Abby Russel.
    20211031-192638.jpg

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    Aistan wrote: »

It's less insane when you realize Dan thought he'd be eating, vomiting, and then eating more.

It's still ridiculous, but at least feasible. Though I think Dan is seriously underestimating how utterly god awful he'd feel leading up to and after the first puke.

It tempers the weight part a bit, but then adds more ridiculousness when you realize he thought that was going to be allowed in an eating contest.

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Yay, Janina's always fun. Assuming she's hinting that she's going to be on.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    haven't they trashed most of the games she's been in lately?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Oh, I kept wondering why VoidBurger seemed so familiar. She's a Goon and her partner is Chip Cheezum, whose LPs I enjoyed watching once upon a time.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    haven't they trashed most of the games she's been in lately?

Battlefront 2 is the only one that comes to mind, and it wasn't because of her performance.

I also forgot she was in HZD and didn't know she was in Far Cry 4.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Oh, I kept wondering why VoidBurger seemed so familiar. She's a Goon and her partner is Chip Cheezum, whose LPs I enjoyed watching once upon a time.

wait. holy shit, really?

man I haven't thought about chip cheezum in YEARS

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Chip works at Volition as a video editor of some sort, but still streams. Void and Chip were streaming Psychonauts 2 together on Halloween.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    lmao games media incl. Tamoor waking up today and collectively deciding to dunk and troll the shit out of Greg Miller has been great

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Idgi

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Yeah, that post doesn't explain much at all. Here's better context from Greg Miller:

Basically, apparently Greg Miller might've gotten the Bugsnax devs to put trophies into their DLC when they originally weren't planning to, and Gamespot referred to Greg in an article as an "unnamed fan".

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I can’t tell if he’s being ironic calling it a historic Trophy crusade

Is this all a joke or is he serious

Edit: ok it’s all a joke whew

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Janina Gavankar executive producing a new show that once again has nothing to do with games and has none of the staff or even friends of the site in a on camera role.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I've mostly defended their efforts to branch out and do different stuff,

But man, that Reel Layers thing was terrible

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I haven’t enjoyed any of the new stuff but I am enjoying going back and watching old premium content.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    So... Reel Layers is obviously a joke. Nothing about the first episode is sincere. But i'm not sure what the joke is about or what its purpose is.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I am pretty sure it's supposed to be parodying youtube essays about movies, but it's not quite absurd enough to differentiate itself from the real thing so it just ends up feeling like a bad one of those.

• Options
    And if it is that, it's not a thing that is sustainable. So what is this video actually for? A lead in to something else? Or just a one off goof they wanted to do. Because Bryan Stills doesn't seem to be a real person either.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    yeah that Twitter account is a work

so its some kind of setup for something I bet

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    The fact that account’s first tweet appears to be from October 10 should probably also be a hint that shenanigans are occurring.

• Options
    I thought this would be like Every Frame a Painting but it's all a bit?

What's the bit beyond 'we make fun of sincere video essays'? How long can it really last?

There's already those parody "Everything wrong with this movie" videos.

I think I fully understand why the NextLander guys split if this was the plan. They should be "the website about video games".

steam_sig.png

• Options
    I think I fully understand why the NextLander guys split if this was the plan. They should be "the website about video games".

This is more in line with the original vision for Giant Bomb. Remember they used to have movie and wrestling podcasts. They were never supposed to be locked in to just doing video games; that's just kind of where they wound up.

• Options
    The movie podcast was a replacement for a podcast from a different site that died, though.

Wrestling was going to be one of the Whiskey Media verticals but they decided against it.

I'd hardly call Box Office Bomb a main focus of Giant Bomb, nor the PowerBombcast

It was/is/was a website about video games.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I was slightly in on the bit for the Reel thingy but then it was twelve minutes long and I couldn't finish it.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Wasn't the whole "Giant Bomb is a website about videogames" thing a literal running joke about them doing random shit that wasn't videogames

• Options

This is more in line with the original vision for Giant Bomb. Remember they used to have movie and wrestling podcasts. They were never supposed to be locked in to just doing video games; that's just kind of where they wound up.

i guess, except all their new shows are bad?

so like, that's a bit different from their old shows

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »

That's a different conversation though.

• Options
    edited November 2021

ehhh

the big difference is that the old 'rando' shows were still being done by the people we knew and were interested in. I have no idea who evil luchador mask dude is and I'm not really interested in watching a show by him, etc (let alone a weird fake youtube analysis show that isn't funny by a random friend of Janina?)

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Dumb comment aside, yeah this
    Wasn't the whole "Giant Bomb is a website about videogames" thing a literal running joke about them doing random shit that wasn't videogames

A website?

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    I was slightly in on the bit for the Reel thingy but then it was twelve minutes long and I couldn't finish it.

All you missed was a minute of silence for Bill Paxton with a picture of Dennis Quaid on the screen.

• Options

ehhh

the big difference is that the old 'rando' shows were still being done by the people we knew and were interested in. I have no idea who evil luchador mask dude is and I'm not really interested in watching a show by him, etc (let alone a weird fake youtube analysis show that isn't funny by a random friend of Janina?)

But it is a different conversation; you're not arguing against the type of content, but the quality. Had Giant Bomb spent this amount of effort, but only on videogame related shows, I would believe that they probably wouldn't be any better or worse than what they're doing now.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

I mean, that's clearly subjective. I've been enjoying lots of their new shows. Albummer is fun and that whole crew is fun to listen to. The Very Online Show is fun, looking at weird parts of the internet. Ranking of Evil is a fun excuse to look at lots of random old, weird games and Evil Uno is funny. Bak 2 Skool has been funny, seeing Dan actually learn some new stuff. Guilty Treasures has been fantastic. Grubbsnax has been a solid shop talk show and Jeff Grubb is very good at keeping the show rolling. Still haven't seen Reel Layers, could be a stinker, idk, will probably watch it tomorrow. I've been happy with what we've been getting and I have no qualms about resubbing next year.

Stabbity_Style.png