As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Giant Bomb] A website that still exists

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Honestly, my issue with moving to streaming is that shit is frequently too fucking long

The nice thing about GB is they tried to keep their shit between 1.5 and 3 hours for the most part. (Obviously there were exceptions, plus the extended streams like Extra Life).

I saw Dan was playing through Banjo-Kazooie for the first time and was super down with watching that until I realized the first "episode" was 8 HOURS LONG!!

I barely have time for a weekly 2 hour show like UPF.. 8 hours...

Yeah, between the sheer length, and how much gets eaten up by interactions with 'Chat', and breaks that don't get edited out, I've never really been able to get into any twitch stuff. It's funny how the Let's Play era almost feels quaint now.
    That, and it feels like most twitch streams are just one person, and most of the interaction is with 'Chat'. For me, I watch these kinds of things to see entertaining people play off each other, and I almost never watch live. That said, I've made peace with being an old man in this new era the kids love. Each generation will have their own thing, and I wish them the best.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    you might want to watch collaborative streams. I personally never watch streams live and I think that is the majority, since a stream with 10k live viewers with have 100k+ vod views, and stick to 2-3 streamers at most because there isn't time for more than that.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Jeff talks a bit about the guys leaving and what the future holds on his garage stream:

https://www.reddit.com/r/giantbomb/comments/n5yjq0/jeff_talks_more_about_the_crew_leaving_and_the/

I love the note it ends on, that's Giant Bomb to a T.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Man.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I hope they’re just practicing for Brad and Vinny Made a Co-Op Game Stream

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    HakuninHakunin Registered User regular
    "Bakalar's mandate", huh...?

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    I hope they’re just practicing for Brad and Vinny Made a Co-Op Game Stream

Vinny (as Chris Redfield): Ethan, do you know why there won't be a Resident Evil 9? Because 7 8 9.

Godammit, I'm gonna miss this.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    the last beastcast site livechat is something i'm not gonna miss but boy howdy its gonna be a rough one.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Abby, Austin, and Dan are all on the Beastcast.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Oh snap

Last Beastcast spoiler:
    xayqeo5u3brh.png

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    If Dan were to finally eat that hat, now would be the perfect moment.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Beastcast live now:
    https://www.giantbomb.com/chat/

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    I logged on to the Beastcast, saw the gang, Vinnie started crying, I started crying.

I have to shut this off until later or else I'm going to show up red-eyed to my next work call.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I logged on to the Beastcast, saw the gang, Vinnie started crying, I started crying.

I have to shut this off until later or else I'm going to show up red-eyed to my next work call.

"My giant bomb friends are quiting."

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Haha I legit thought about taking the back half of the day off but I have an immovable call.

• Options
    Hakunin wrote: »

Remember I've missed out on years... what's up with Bakalar?

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    This beastcast live show is just them reminiscing with the whole team including those who moved on and I am enjoying it so much.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    hemmelighthemmelight Registered User regular
    I know you shouldn't get attached to strangers on the internet, but fuck.
    The thought of everyone out on their own island doing separate things is heartbreaking in a way that I wasn't expecting.
    Of course we don't know what will happen and I'm sure everyone will do fine but it's still depressing.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Hakunin wrote: »

Remember I've missed out on years... what's up with Bakalar?

Hello my friends, some news:

After many fulfilling years at CNET I will be moving over to the Games division at Red Ventures to work with the fine people at Gamespot and another website about videogames, Giant Bomb™, to help lead content strategy/development and partnerships

Which, in retrospect, I wonder if Vinny, Brad or Jeff were up for that position too.

• Options
    Still not much the wiser. Bear in mind I don't know the guy from Adam.

• Options

Jeff Bakalar was a CNet employee who was originally going just be an occasional member of the Giant Beastcast (he was in the "rotating chair" intended for a variety of guest hosts) but wound up becoming a regular almost immediately.

There's some deep irony in him being the last one standing.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    TIL Waypoint is Waypoint again.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2021

Jeff Bakalar is now in a position where he's leading the games division of Red Ventures (GameSpot + GB) and that will affect the future of Giant Bomb. That's all it means.

The only thing Hakunin was referencing is the fact that Jeff saying "Bakalar's mandate" implies that either Bakalar or someone above him has some fairly significant changes in mind for the games division of Red Ventures. Which, like, seems pretty obvious.

admanb on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I am sooo sad

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

Jeff Bakalar is now in a position where he's leading the games division of Red Ventures (GameSpot + GB) and that will affect the future of Giant Bomb. That's all it means.

The only thing Hakunin was referencing is the fact that Jeff saying "Bakalar's mandate" implies that either Bakalar or someone above him has some fairly significant changes in mind for the games division of Red Ventures. Which, like, seems pretty obvious.

My head canon is that Bakalar's mandate was that everyone in the organization would be required to pronounce the red plumber's name as "May-re-o" going forward, and that's why Vinny, Brad, and Alex walked.

• Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    That hurt watching. <3

Vinny welling up at the end got me starting going.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    I watched a bit of the Beastcast today, and Vinny wouldn't go into much detail, but ostensibly said that he think GB is in good hands with Red Ventures. Again, little exposure, but that was one of his comments early in the stream.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Thanks for filling me in, guys, I appreciate it :heartbeat:

I've downloaded the Bombcast this week and will do for the Beastcast when it's available. Gonna pay my respects, you know.

Jazz on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Watching the clip, I think Jeff G means Bakalar's mandate not in the command sense, but in the "this is why we put you in this position" sense. It wasn't clear to me from reading about it.

• Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited May 2021
    The final drum stream with Alex has been chock full of bangers, which is a relief aftersome cringe-weeks after he ran out of good tunes, haha.

It's a very feel-good stream, and about as many viewers as a live bombcast at the moment, and it's getting awfully emotional in here.

Rock on Alex!

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    Upcoming: See You Next Game

LIVE SHOW - TOMORROW

11am PST.

My heart ain't ready. Time to see if I can take tomorrow off without having to say "I'm sad because some staff are leaving a videogame website"

• Options
    The final drum stream with Alex has been chock full of bangers, which is a relief aftersome cringe-weeks after he ran out of good tunes, haha.

It's a very feel-good stream, and about as many viewers as a live bombcast at the moment, and it's getting awfully emotional in here.

Rock on Alex!

Tuned in just as he was playing to one of my favorite bands since 1996 - Opeth. Felt like perfect timing. I'm sad I'm going to miss tomorrow's livestream due to work.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Yea I don’t think I’ll be able to watch any gb content for a couple weeks, any time I try I just get sad :/

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »

My head canon is that Bakalar's mandate was that everyone in the organization would be required to pronounce the red plumber's name as "May-re-o" going forward, and that's why Vinny, Brad, and Alex walked.

(From Jeff Bakalar's Twitter on May 4, the day the departures were announced: "OK fine I'll change the way I say Mario!")

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I’ve never watched a live GB stream but might just take the whole afternoon off tomorrow to do it and join the chat.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    The final beastcast was less of a tearjerker than I expected. Vinny breaks a bit about ten minutes in, and then about ten minutes from the end, but beyond that it's just a blast to hear from Abby, Dan and Austin (As well as Vinny, Alex and Jeff B.) as they remenice, get mystified by Dan and generally have a rip-roaringly good time.

Hell of a podcast to go out on.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Vinny losing it during the Bombcast broke me.

• Options
    This garage stream is pretty good.
    Jeff: What's in this metal box? I think it's Transformers, which would be awesome.
    *opens box*
    Jeff: It's tools. It's fucking tools.

• Options
    This garage stream is pretty good.
    Jeff: What's in this metal box? I think it's Transformers, which would be awesome.
    *opens box*
    Jeff: It's tools. It's fucking tools.

In the one I linked above my eye kept getting drawn towards the Vectrex in the background, to the left as we look at Jeff.

• Options
    One tidbit Abby revealed during the Beastcast: apparently she's looking into relocating to England?