Options

[Western Animation] Max? More like Min

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Captain Laserhawk: a Blood Dragon Remix is up on Netflix.

That's the one set in a hard-boiled, dystopian cyberpunk future that manages to fuse together Ubisoft's entire back catalogue, including an Assassin that's also a frog, Rayman as a talk show host/Fox News-style talking head, and a kaiju Rabbid. It's somehow even wilder than you'd expect. Also gayer.

What the fuck did I just watch?

No, seriously, what. When do we get a season 2.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    4nkgaew3zlzp.jpeg

• Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    ...snip...

I had that playset

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Handkor wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »
    ...snip...

I had that playset

Beastman was like the worst one with his fuzzy fur. Not sure if I got more slime or just kept using what the set came with.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    The Once Upon a Studio short is up on Disney +. It's a little self-congratulatory, but the amount of characters they included (every one of which is animated) is just bananas. There are SEVEN characters from goddamn Black Cauldron. Definitely worth a watch if you're into Disney at all. Here's a full cast list.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Looney Tunes Movie ‘The Day the Earth Blew Up’ Launching at AFM From Warner Bros. Animation, GFM Animation
    Porky Pig and Daffy Duck, one of the most beloved comedic duos in showbiz history, are set to make their return to the big screen in the sci-fi comedy adventure “The Day the Earth Blew Up: A Looney Tunes Movie.”

GFM Animation will launch worldwide sales on the Warner Bros. Animation-produced theatrical feature at the American Film Market (Oct. 31 – Nov. 5) and will share first-look footage. “The Day the Earth Blew Up: A Looney Tunes Movie” is the first-ever fully animated Looney Tunes feature-length movie created for a movie theater audience.

Directed by Pete Browngardt and the creative team behind the “Looney Tunes Cartoons,” “The Day the Earth Blew Up: A Looney Tunes Movie” stars Porky Pig and Daffy Duck as unlikely heroes and Earth’s only hope when facing the threat of alien invasion. In this buddy comedy, the heroes race to save the world, delivering all the laugh-out-loud gags and vibrant visuals that made the Looney Tunes so iconic, but on an epic scale not seen in the franchise before.

Sam Register, president, Warner Bros. Animation and Cartoon Network Studios, said: “Our artists have created an incredible Looney Tunes film that follows in the cinematic tradition of when audiences first fell in love with these characters. GFM Animation are the perfect partners to help us bring Porky and Daffy back to their rightful place on the big screen.”

Guy Collins, chairman of GFM Animation, said: “It’s thrilling for the team here at GFM Animation to be handling the worldwide distribution sales on a movie with such an iconic IP, working with the terrific team at Warner Bros. Animation. It is great to see all their hard work in progress at this advanced stage of production. Independents rarely get to work on movies with such affinity awareness from fans worldwide and we know they are going to love Porky and Daffy’s sci-fi adventure just as much as we do.”

Produced by Warner Bros. Animation, the film is currently in production with delivery set for Q2 2024. Browngardt also serves as an executive producer. Alex Kirwan (“Looney Tunes Cartoons”) is supervising producer. Sam Register (“Teen Titans Go!”) is also an executive producer.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    That sounds interesting. Hope it's good.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Not calling it "An Earth Shattering Kaboom" and announcing Marvin Martian seems a missed opportunity.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    Duck Dodgers in the 24th-and-a-halfth Century prequel?

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Been watching this Scavengers Reign. Great art style overall, excellent musical score, but definitely some things that really get under my skin.

Tippy-top of the list is how everything on this planet is trying to kill the humans and it's like 4 episodes in before somebody makes a fucking spear. No, not some gardening tool kinda repurposed as a spear, a spear spear. I absolutely cannot stand the trope of humans too stupid to have basic survival instincts, and every person they've shown would absolutely have the knowledge that, in a survival situation, a basic fucking spear is going to be a big help. And the near-total lack of survival instincts in these people is really grating. Suspicious terrain? Yeah, let's walk the fuck all over this without keeping an eye out. Place looks fine because it doesn't instantly attack you? No worries, nevermind the odds fungus balls floating around. Racing through a crushing death wall? Oh, I saw something shiny over there, let me come to a dead stop and investigate more closely while the wall keeps closing.

Next is that everything seems to want to kill the humans in a gruesome way that borders on fetishistic. Every time they show somebody dead or killed, it's happening in some ridiculously gruesome or painful way. Nobody is allowed to die in any way that isn't wretched and doesn't have guts or blood or horrible noises involved. It's just getting predictable at this point and it's getting kinda creepy how much the writers are obsessed with making sure every death is kinda nightmarish in some way.

Finally, this ecosystem just pisses me off. It's clearly designed entirely to be Rick and Morty type of weird, with zero thought given over to how any of this shit would work as an ecosystem. Every other critter is a predator which just doesn't work in terms of simple biomass. Most everything else is a fungus or planet, and apparently anything non-predatory is somehow in the minority. And everything predatory seems suicidally interested in killing and eating humans, zero fear involved. Why the fuck can everything eat humans but apparently stuff is toxic to humans? Also, way too much of the shit on this planet is basically designed for a purpose; I'm going to be genuinely annoyed if it turns out this is supposed to be a "natural" ecosystem rather than some alien-designed world left on its own for millions of years. Air-filter fish-things that stick to your face? Big helicopter bugs with outright handles on their tails? Or my favorite stupid one: glow-balls that you can only get by cutting open a big grazing animal (which literally does not care you sliced it open), climbing inside its guts, rearranging some organs, and then blindly reaching into an organ to pull out the glow-balls. Then you climb out and the animal is... completely fine. How the fuck does that make any sense? How does anybody know they can do that?

Those gripes aside, interesting show. Waaaay more about artsy conceptual stuff than scifi, it's really more like a series of neat short stories than a coherent single story. Only six episodes at the moment at about half an hour each so it's certainly worth a shot.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    The original Scavengers short had the same problem of the ecosystem not really making sense, but you could overlook it because you weren't shown how they figured everything out and could just imagine the trials and errors they had to endure to get to that point. I was expecting Reign to do that groundwork of explaining how they went from crash landing to skillfully manipulating the ecosystem but from what you say it doesn't sound like they do.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The only "explanation" is that the different people have been on the ground for something like 8 months.

Yeah, they're gonna learn some things but they'll be things like that blue stuff will kill you in five seconds if you eat it or don't climb the trees when they turn red. But the first episode has them rebuilding a sophisticated radio from organic shit they find, like vines (which can apparently reliably carry voltage) that they can "weld" together by sprinkling them with some gunk from a random critter. And using "breathing masks" made from critters that live on the underside of logs that you can pop open to put on your face and they just... work. Critters you can stuff in a pocket but when you jam your hand into them, they turn into a balloon that can carry an adult person dozens of meters straight up safely. Even putting aside the absolute biological absurdity of creatures naturally evolving to have functional uses this specific (and to work with lifeforms from another planet, for even more absurdity), just how do you find that stuff out? Ever? Nobody goes around trying to stick animals on their faces to see if they can breath through them. Maybe if these people had been there ten generations of something and there was a bunch of knowledge passed around, but 8 months? Nah, it's dumb.

"Weird for the sake of weird" just doesn't do it for me when the show isn't a comedy like Rick and Morty. I'd appreciate the show a whole lot more if they'd at least attempted to apply some amount of reality, or at least rules, to the design of the flora and fauna.

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Duck Dodgers in the 24th-and-a-halfth Century prequel?

Duck Dodgers in the 24th-and-three-eighths Century

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I've been enjoying Scavengers, but I do feel like the spirit of the original short hasn't quite been captured by the series. The original went much heavier on the biotech elements with this whole Rube Goldberg-ish process of using creatures as components and ingredients - they have a tiny little man use their 20 second lifespan to operate their own fruit-leg egg like a machine to produce explosives, and the egg grew in less than a second from a creature peeing on a big lumpy fungus. There was no way these elements were natural, so the stronge sense that I got from the film was 'Don't think about it - just enjoy the visuals.'

The series doesn't go as hard on the biotech and includes much more of a plot, which doesn't suit the 'Don't Think About It' style of the original. I think they either should've dropped the biotech and focused on survivalist elements, or gone way harder on the biotech while addressing how it doesn't all make sense naturally as part of the plot. Have creatures that plug into other creatures to make all kinds of absurd biotech machines. Play up the 'This planet is a puzzle' line. Make it clear this place can't be natural, that someone or something is controlling and designing the different creatures, that they're all pieces of some colossal, planet-sized alien living machine and the humans are just caught in its gears.
    The robot Levi would've been the perfect bridge between humans and the world, since the organic goo growing in her machinery seemed to be expanding her machine intelligence and putting her in touch with the world itself. If the planet is some giant organic machine, then it was interfacing with the mechanical machine of the humans. A great chance to explore the larger picture of what's going on with the world.

Sad that she died. I'm holding out hope that the organic goo growing in her somehow pulls all her pieces back together.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Yay!

I was looking forward to this!

7 minutes in:
    "Mammon can eat my ass! In a bad way!" Oh Ozzie (Asmodeus) you're so lovable. Horny little (big) Cock (Rooster)

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Fuck you!
    Really seems like they're setting up Oz getting deposed or some other kind of fall due to his relationship as a parallel/cause for friction with Blitzo and Stolas, though I'd expect them to make some progress before that.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    I need song releases of the numbers from this episode.

Especially "Klown Bitch" and "2 Minutes Notice" (aka Fuck You)

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I do think "how could people even figure this stuff out" re: strange plants and animals isn't giving us enough credit. Even on Earth, we've figured out some weird things just from being dumb and persistent and curious, as a species. We eat a bunch of things that are poisonous if not prepared in the exact specific right way, or heck are just poisonous straight-out but we do it anyways. etc.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    I do think "how could people even figure this stuff out" re: strange plants and animals isn't giving us enough credit. Even on Earth, we've figured out some weird things just from being dumb and persistent and curious, as a species. We eat a bunch of things that are poisonous if not prepared in the exact specific right way, or heck are just poisonous straight-out but we do it anyways. etc.

Never underestimate the human drive to get high

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular

I mean the entire concept of tea makes no fucking sense when you think about it.

"Hey Vern, look at this pile of twigs and leaves and dirt I scooped up off the ground. What say we dump it in some hot water for a bit and then drink it?"

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited October 2023

I mean the entire concept of tea makes no fucking sense when you think about it.

"Hey Vern, look at this pile of twigs and leaves and dirt I scooped up off the ground. What say we dump it in some hot water for a bit and then drink it?"

I mean, soup is just chewy tea.

destroyah87 on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited October 2023

It took modern humans around 190-something-thousand years to get out of the stone age. Up until writing become commonplace in most populations, the vast majority of knowledge was an assortment of random shit written down by people who survived experimentation.

8 months on an unknown planet with funky-ass nonsense biology might get you as far as "I can eat these 7 things and not die. Immediately. Also, I can drink water from that stream. Most of the time." If you're lucky. You definitely don't have enough time to figure out that you can safely climb into the exposed innards of an animal to yank out what amounts to glow sticks or find out that a variety of vine is perfect replacement for manufactured power cables made from purified metals.

It's just a peeve for me. Nobody knows anything about this planet and it's basically an endless pile of things that are impossibly functional or impossibly useless. Now if they had a catalog of the shit people had figured out from scientific expeditions? And/or it was a known thing that some long-dead species had designed the ecosystem and it had evolved back to being wild? Totally different story.

Weirdly, it reminds me of Metroid Prime, specifically because MP actually gave thought to things like ecosystems and predation and why a weird crawling turtle-thing that just eats moss needs a nigh-impenetrable hide or why this stuff that looks like grass is trying to disintegrate your armor. I know all that biology is just as impossible, but the fact that they bothered to think about it was enough to get me to buy into the world.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

Well the most logical assumption is the leaves had a pleasant scent and they thought tossing them in hot water would spread that scent then somebody drank it and didn't die

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

Well the most logical assumption is the leaves had a pleasant scent and they thought tossing them in hot water would spread that scent then somebody drank it and didn't die

I love chai tea!

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Hey! Back on topic!

• Options
    MichaelLC wrote: »

I love chai tea!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt21HnCleqA

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

Yes, because twigs and leaves can be delicious and nutritious provided you know which twigs and leaves to boil.

https://youtu.be/RgLC_DRd2cg?si=becMLNntomBfarCv

• Options

Yes! I was hoping someone would remember that bit.

He was the best secondary Spider-person. Best extra would Spider Horse.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Ha hah! It was animation related all along!

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    We lost another B:TAS Alum over the weekend in the death of Richard Mull:

https://youtu.be/VhPOo0DhClg?feature=shared

Rest in Peace, Mull, rest in peace.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Doing my annual rewatch of Over the Garden Wall, don't need to convince anyone here how stunning some of the simple scenes can be.

rntB04x.png

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

I am eternally puzzled by onions.

“Hey, this thing really makes my eyes hurt if I cut it. Imma put it in my mouth.”

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular

2 Minutes Notice is now my favorite song from Helluva Boss and not just because it's a banger. It's also pretty relatable for anyone that isn't one of the fuckers at the top. Just like Twisted Sister's We're Not Gonna Take, it's a song that could easily be the anthem for the masses that are tired of being exploited by greedy ass bastards. Also will not be surprise if this is a song that manages to make it way out into the broader, that isn't even remotely aware that Helluva Boss exists.

• Options
    Mill wrote: »

2 Minutes Notice is now my favorite song from Helluva Boss and not just because it's a banger. It's also pretty relatable for anyone that isn't one of the fuckers at the top. Just like Twisted Sister's We're Not Gonna Take, it's a song that could easily be the anthem for the masses that are tired of being exploited by greedy ass bastards. Also will not be surprise if this is a song that manages to make it way out into the broader, that isn't even remotely aware that Helluva Boss exists.

Yeah! I've listened to it about three more times.

Also, Crooked is adorably sweet.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    actually almost anything is edible if you cook it at a hot enough temperature and long enough. (edible != tasty) The difference between caveman and us is both understanding the scientific process and the recognition of things that we can't see with our eyes. It's not voodoo why larry over there got itchy after touching that plant. We can also be pretty pleased with some of our ancestors for watching birds, insects, and other animals and how they behaved around plants.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Onions are hella tasty though once you cook ‘em enough

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

“Hey, this thing really makes my eyes hurt if I cut it. Imma put it in my mouth.”

I figure the first person to eat an onion was merely satisfied that it tasted better than the dirt around it.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

I figure the first person to eat an onion was merely satisfied that it tasted better than the dirt around it.

Nah. Onions do a ton of good shit, but the best thing about them, at least for an ancient civilization, is that they have very little moisture and a built-in self-protecting shell. ie They last for a LONG FUCKING TIME if you just drop them in a box or something. When it's the dead of winter and everything else died months ago, onions will still be around. They're also mildly anti-biotic, so one of the earliest things people figured out to rub on wounds and shit to help them heal.

Now, if you want to talk stuff that how the fuck did we figure that out, look up Egyptian pregnancy tests. Pee on wheat and barley seeds. If either sprout, you're pregnant. If wheat first, it's a boy. If barley, a girl. The latter part is pure hokum, but there's a hormone specific to pregnant women that seeds apparently love enough for that to be a pretty accurate test.

ztrEPtD.gif