As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Western Animation] Max? More like Min

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I wish more shows got the Bojack treatment.

Specifically, when giving out season six they told the creator "hey we reckon this is gonna be the last season", allowing them to wrap it up.

Final Space was going to be six seasons. Olan Rogers wouldn't need to be told - he had 'em all planned out. Even mentioned that season 3 would be the darkest place to end it!

Hrraaagh. I watched that vid and now YouTube is flooding me with Final Space vids. Too soon! This show did some stuff I'd never seen before. Beautiful stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA1p30tiIVM

*sniff*

Gets me every time.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Marketing didn't do Final Space any favors

It was sold as a wacky cartoon, a la Futurama and it was more serious and serialized than expected.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »

It was sold as a wacky cartoon, a la Futurama and it was more serious and serialized than expected.

Problem was that it WAS largely a wacky cartoon, at least for the part of the first season I watched before I gave up. (The wackiness and the serious stuff had zero connective tissue and just suddenly lurched from one to the other. Futurama blended wacky and serious much better. Plus the main character was insufferable.) The title sequence had the main character get hit in the face with a cookie. That doesn't exactly say "serious business ahead." Maybe it got better as it went along but it left such a horrible taste in my mouth I'm not sure I could try again.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I like the old Heavy Metal movie, but it probably would not be acceptable in the modern climate.

Love Death and Robots feels like the modern version of the Heavy Metal movie.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Kyougu wrote: »

Problem was that it WAS largely a wacky cartoon, at least for the part of the first season I watched before I gave up. (The wackiness and the serious stuff had zero connective tissue and just suddenly lurched from one to the other. Futurama blended wacky and serious much better. Plus the main character was insufferable.) The title sequence had the main character get hit in the face with a cookie. That doesn't exactly say "serious business ahead." Maybe it got better as it went along but it left such a horrible taste in my mouth I'm not sure I could try again.

Yeah. Gary needed to be a lot more Roger Wilco, and a shitload less... I don't even fucking know what he was, but it was obnoxious as absolute shit. I still didn't really go out of my way to watch it, but there were moments I caught, like this one, that showed how good the show COULD have been.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC5li7lZujo

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Gary was also author insert wish fulfilment as shit. The guy semi-stalks the main female character, and when she finds out she punches him, the issue is never raised again, and SHE INSTANTLY STARTS FALLING FOR HIM. Just, what. The 2001 homage/ripoff sequence is what truly broke me on the show. Besides being the 47th homage/ripoff to show up in like six episodes or something, it implies that the guy is secretly destined for greatness/beyond human/some shit. I mean, the creator of the show was already testing my patience by voicing the character himself.

I agree, on paper Final Space totally sounds like my jam, but the execution just kills me.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    For what this worth the original intro for season one was not that awful CGI mess and Olan hated it. It was supposed to be this
    https://youtu.be/3Ik9YqdXKk4

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Final Space was far, far too uncertain about its own genre(s) to last. It endlessly slews between serious material and comedy, and the comedy frequently conflicts jarringly with the serious material. It just does not mesh like Futurama or Rick and Morty, instead feeling like two dissimilar shows mashed together. Is the villain comedic and evil, or just a joke? Is the main character comedic and a reluctant hero, or just a joke of an idiot? Plus, virtually everybody seems to be trying to be a comedian at some point, so there's nobody genuinely serious to play off of.

It can just never really pick what it wants to be.

• Options
    I guess nobody watched season 2 because it addresses all that

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I guess Warner Bros. released an animated version of Night of the Living Dead. And it looks... interesting. Not sure what they were going for with the animation or how big of a budget they were given.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JBoxYpFsX0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=divO8WrJYQ0

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Just finished watching the latest He-Man. It's basically a long mobile game cut scene. Worse things in the world, but I wouldn't watch it over anything else.

• Options
    You can say it looks awful.
    They made this because the film is public domain. Theres zero budget and it shows

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed the new CG He-Man. I thought it was a lot of fun. Its obviously designed for a sincerely younger audience and not nostalgic olds and that's perfectly fine. I appreciate the fresh take it has on the franchise and the new things it did with it.

I also praise it for putting greater emphasis on the fact that Skeletor is Adam's uncle Keldor and making the familial ties there a stronger aspect of the show. That's a huge connection that is glossed over most of the time.

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the new CG He-Man. I thought it was a lot of fun. Its obviously designed for a sincerely younger audience and not nostalgic olds and that's perfectly fine. I appreciate the fresh take it has on the franchise and the new things it did with it.

I also praise it for putting greater emphasis on the fact that Skeletor is Adam's uncle Keldor and making the familial ties there a stronger aspect of the show. That's a huge connection that is glossed over most of the time.

It definitely fits in the standard kids show mold and has a few good ideas, just doesn't feel very unique. It's using some of the same things they use in contemporary toy commercial shows like Skylanders. It's certainly competent, and the cliches are at least newer than in the other recent He-Man stuff.

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    So I just saw an announcement that they've confirmed both 1) a movie finale for The Amazing World of Gumball and 2) a new The Amazing World of Gumball series.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    I guess nobody watched season 2 because it addresses all that

The wild tonal swings? I've not made it past I think four episodes before losing interest on two tries.
    Do you mind spoiling the reason in spoilers? My brother loves the show and if it's just a rougher season one then I could probably give it another shot.

• Options
    Well no spoilers needed but Gary is toned down and more focused theyre given their new goal fairly early and the cast expands quite a bit so theres less of the same 4 people talking to each other.
    The new characters they add are all fun as well. It also explores how much a shithole the universe actually is

Its worth watching Season 1 and thinking of Gary as a man who has been tortured by isloation for 5 years slowly returning to society while beung given visions from a literal god being and the tonal shifts sort of reflect that.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The worst part about final space is KVN, both the character and the voice actor.

• Options
    honovere wrote: »
    The worst part about final space is KVN, both the character and the voice actor.

Its never addressed in the show but Olan said they built a ton of these Kevins to be multipurpose robots but they were annoying as hell and immortal so the Galatic federation had no idea what to do with them

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    honovere wrote: »

Its never addressed in the show but Olan said they built a ton of these Kevins to be multipurpose robots but they were annoying as hell and immortal so the Galatic federation had no idea what to do with them

That doesn't explain why the show creators decided to include KVN (or robots of its type) in the show (and the show's fictional universe) at all.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    So the new MLP movie/pilot thing... it's not "bad", but it has a very Touched-By-Hollywood feel. A bit of trolls DNA, but with more cell phones and TikToks and a bit of Onceler. Also a rap break.

• Options
    Latest Encanto trailer, with the actual plot:

https://youtu.be/CaimKeDcudo

Yeah, it's turning into another sweeping epic thing, but it still looks good.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    https://www.reddit.com/r/TheOwlHouse/comments/q1x1uh/ama_except_by_anything_i_mean_these_questions_only/

Dana Terrace put a post up on Reddit about Owl Houses cancellation.

She was treated like shit basically and told her show was getting canned because one executive didn’t like it and thought it was “too serialized”, “audience skews older”, and “doesn’t fit the Disney brand”.

She was told before the two part finale of season 1 even aired.

So it was totally Grom Fright backlash.

Viskod on
  • Options
    Ah she got criticed

I bet you could trace the Ducktales cancellation to that executive

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    the weird part of that statement (having no inside information) is if they weren't part of the discussion why do they assume it's some guy that decided to cancel it?
    Hard to say, I wasn't allowed to be a part of any conversations until I was just... Told. Wasn't even allowed to present my case. LOVE the transparency and openness here (this is sarcasm).
    I mean, i don't doubt that it could be that somebody didn't like the show or didn't see the need, or whatever, but my brain doesn't wrap 'i wasn't in the loop' with 'here's what happened'.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Small kids buy toys and that means only shows for small kids are respected by actors like Disney.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Disney has multiple shows that appeal to older children/young teens that ran for at least 3 seasons time (Kim Possible, Recess, Phineas and Ferb, Madeline) but MOST shows only run for a couple of seasons it seems. That seems pretty standard in animation shows, especially with Disney (Emperors New School, se la vi).

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I know Disney also had weird attitudes about serialization but, well, on the one hand they've moved away from that recentlyand two, their issue used to be that they didn't like a show going past three seasons unless it was a super mega hit. So cancelling a show that's doing well before hitting the three seasons mark is... odd.

So it does kind of feel like the most likely explanation got scared off having young adult openly queer main characters on a show.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Gundi wrote: »
    I know Disney also had weird attitudes about serialization but, well, on the one hand they've moved away from that recentlyand two, their issue used to be that they didn't like a show going past three seasons unless it was a super mega hit. So cancelling a show that's doing well before hitting the three seasons mark is... odd.

So it does kind of feel like the most likely explanation got scared off having young adult openly queer main characters on a show.

If I'm reading that correctly, my bet is the "audience skews older" bit. There's a pruning of the Disney Channel style programming because the trend on Disney+ is that anything that isn't tied to a movie (which allows them to resell movie merchandise), or that isn't the next Peppa or Paw Patrol, or that isn't a license with their own big gravitas like Family Guy is a waste.

Owl House makes money. But they could make more money selling repackaged merchandise for Moana: The series. So.

Is the eternal tale of "if you don't move toys or someone else moves more toys than you, then bye bye". And executives have always been complete assholes about it.

EDIT: Also add the pandemic smacking the old executives on the face and making everybody realize that the way that content is going to be consumed is streaming, so their streaming service should be filled with as many big budget, flagship Disney productions as possible.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »

If I'm reading that correctly, my bet is the "audience skews older" bit. There's a pruning of the Disney Channel style programming because the trend on Disney+ is that anything that isn't tied to a movie (which allows them to resell movie merchandise), or that isn't the next Peppa or Paw Patrol, or that isn't a license with their own big gravitas like Family Guy is a waste.

Owl House makes money. But they could make more money selling repackaged merchandise for Moana: The series. So.

Is the eternal tale of "if you don't move toys or someone else moves more toys than you, then bye bye". And executives have always been complete assholes about it.

EDIT: Also add the pandemic smacking the old executives on the face and making everybody realize that the way that content is going to be consumed is streaming, so their streaming service should be filled with as many big budget, flagship Disney productions as possible.

Seems very short-sighted.

So par for the course.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited October 2021

Owl House is a fantastic show and the exec who decided to kill it right after the Grom+Gay Sports episodes should be ashamed.

We still have 11 episodes and the 3 specials, but god what a bummer.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular

So par for the course.

New Disney+ rules would get Kim Possible cancelled.

So yes.

• Options

So par for the course.

New Disney+ rules would get Kim Possible cancelled.

So yes.

Why make a show that people want to watch and pay you money for when you could not do that?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Also, to be very clear, China probably did not come into this decision at all.

• Options
    I actually just read a Hollywood Reporter article about Bob Iger leaving Disney and Bob Chapek taking over. Essentially, the creative guy is leaving and the numbers guy is staying.
    “In a world and business that is awash with data, it is tempting to use data to answer all of our questions, including creative questions,” he said. “I urge all of you not to do that.” If Disney had relied too heavily on data, he noted, the company might never have made big, breakthrough movies like Black Panther, Coco and Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings.

Though no outsiders were present, chatter about Iger’s talk soon began to seep through Hollywood. His words were interpreted as a shot at Chapek. Though a 28-year Disney veteran who most recently had overseen the theme parks and resorts, Chapek was an outsider in Hollywood. Known for cutting costs and raising prices, he was regarded by many with distrust if not outright hostility. So the version of the board retreat that made the rounds had Iger showing up Chapek, who was said to have followed Iger’s remarks by declaring in blunt terms that, in fact, Disney was now a data-driven company. It sent a chill through Hollywood.

So yeah, this is going to happen a lot going forward.

• Options
    I don't... Disney... so the Owl House thing doesn't hit me, but that show was like the second coming of Steven Universe for some folks so it's a pretty sad situation.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    In happier news, Amphibia yet lives and the third season is upon us.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    In happier news, Amphibia yet lives and the third season is upon us.

Please let Marcy have nice things, show. Poor girl.

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Didn't the last episode show that Marcy is really
    a subtly self-centered little gaslighter who trapped them all in Amphibia for "their own good", and sacrificed herself only because she finally acknowledged at the last second that what she did was wrong?

• Options
    mrpaku wrote: »
    Didn't the last episode show that Marcy is really
    a subtly self-centered little gaslighter who trapped them all in Amphibia for "their own good", and sacrificed herself only because she finally acknowledged at the last second that what she did was wrong?
    Not quite.

She made a horrible decision to use the Box, which she learned about and found by accident, to escape having to move away from her best friends, and when that came to light she broke down sobbing "I just didn't want to be alone..." when Anne and Sasha were mortified she had dragged them along to a deathworld like Amphibia.

And then Andrias stabbed her as she tried to get everyone through a portal back to Earth, and looks like she will be controlled in some way to serve him in his conquest.

She made a terrible decision, and has more than paid for it.