As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Games you thought were gonna be good

191011121315»

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Halo had auto aim? Huh.

Deus Ex 2 Invisible War. Just a great big pile of sucking trash. So dissapointed.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    rayofash wrote: »
    Morrowind 3. I remember I worked with this girl and she would go on ...and on....and on about it every day and about how great it would be, how you can do just about anything, blah blah. I was skeptical, how I wish I had listened to myself. I think I actually hurt myself as a gamer by playing it, and for some reason, I kept playing it for nearly 15 hours or something, till I finally got fed up with the whole worthless story and wide open...everything.

How could you have played a game that doesn't exist?

I'm assuming he combined the Morrowind and The Elder Scrolls 3. Either that or he can bend space and time. If its the latter, dude get me a copy of fallout 3.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Did anyone play Sudeki?

I can't even remember what posessed me to buy it, because I've never heard anything about it. After about 15 minutes of playing it, I just gave up on it. I don't know what I was expecting, but I was actually so underwhelmed that I felt ashamed for buying the game in the first place.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    UltimaGeckoUltimaGecko Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Did anyone play Sudeki?

I can't even remember what posessed me to buy it, because I've never heard anything about it. After about 15 minutes of playing it, I just gave up on it. I don't know what I was expecting, but I was actually so underwhelmed that I felt ashamed for buying the game in the first place.

The drastic lack of RPGs on the Xbox at the time prompted me to buy it; I kept playing it in the hope that at some point it would become an RPG with side quests and intricacies, but it was just "follow the path, kill whatever you want, talk to this guy if you want another 'special item' for beating that dungeon you're going to." You've got like 3 RPGs to compete with, and everyone has played them already, so all you need to do is make a game that seems RPGish and you botch it, what the heck? Sudeki sucks :p (combat in the demo, and partly in the game, can sometimes be fun).

It's kind of old, but I've always been sort of disappointed with Sonic 3D Blast; not that Sonic has ever really done that well in 3D - but you can't have Sonic 3 with the ability to save and then throw it out for the next game...and have boring level design, and useless and annoying flickies, and pretty terrible control...

I'll throw a vote in for Fable, as well; it's not bad for a single playthrough, but the replayability is...pretty nonexistant for a game that was supposed to be freeform and wide-open.

Twisted Metal 3; flashy graphics, mediocre gameplay - right after the fun-ness that was TM2. 4 was slightly better, but still pretty mediocre.

UltimaGecko on
    The facehuggers want to play with you in the AvP LP. Facehuggers also want you to check out the TF2 cards here. View the in-progress RE mansion recreation for L4D here.
    Bitstream wrote: »
    People respect a man who might do science at any moment.
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Crashmo wrote: »
    Perfect Dark is just Goldeneye 2.0

They were both the best console FPS (by FAR) when they came out.

Now that Perfect Dark exists there's no real reason to go back to Goldeneye except to play some of the fun single-player missions over again.

I'm going to third DK64 on being a huge letdown. F U DK Rap.

Edit: I guess it should be said that the Timesplitters are Goldeneye 3.0, but I won't go as far to say that they were the greatest console FPS's at the time, though it was still fun as crap. You can just REALLY feel the similarities in playstyle of all three of those titles.

See PD had better graphics and a more robust multiplayer in terms of options. But it lacked the level design of the Goldeneye. I would play the single level mission constantly in Goldeneye because they were fun. The only mission I enjoyed replaying in PD was Villa. And most of the time if I was to play in the multiplayer it'd be in the facility with the GE weapons without any of those bullshit seconday functions. As while they were a neat idea they just got a hard on with the urge to give everything a secondary function.

And I gotta echo the DK64 stuff. But I would like to know how far you have to go to unlock the original arcade game, because I never got it.

From memory, the fat baby Kong (Chunky or something) the mechanical toy level in which you freed him (I think it was in the back of K Rool's head) had an arcade machine in it, it was there. Jetpack I beleive you gain access to from Cranky Kong.

Blake T on
  • Options
    SonosSonos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    LockeCole wrote: »
    rayofash wrote: »
    Morrowind 3. I remember I worked with this girl and she would go on ...and on....and on about it every day and about how great it would be, how you can do just about anything, blah blah. I was skeptical, how I wish I had listened to myself. I think I actually hurt myself as a gamer by playing it, and for some reason, I kept playing it for nearly 15 hours or something, till I finally got fed up with the whole worthless story and wide open...everything.

How could you have played a game that doesn't exist?

I'm assuming he combined the Morrowind and The Elder Scrolls 3. Either that or he can bend space and time. If its the latter, dude get me a copy of fallout 3.

fall 2008 blows. me want NOW.

Sonos on
    Sonovius.png
    PokeCode: 3952 3495 1748
  • Options
    Tw4winTw4win Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I never saw what the big deal was about any of the Elder Scrolls games. I remember getting all hyped about Morrowind and then being totally let down. I wanted to like it much like I wanted to like Oblivion but i just didn't. To me they are sort of generic and they feel empty. As for it being "open ended" that's fine, I guess. If I want a really open ended game I'll play a MMORPG.

I sort of feel the same way about KOTR. I really, really wanted to like the game and I guess I did (I finished it and KOTR 2) but I thought they were mediocre at best.

Tw4win on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JeanJean Heartbroken papa bear Gatineau, QuébecRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The SNES version of Sim City 2000 gotta be my biggest gaming dissapointement evar.

I had so much fun endlessly playing the original but its sequel.. ugh.. it was just so wrong

For starters how the fuck can you make a game that lags on a SNES??? SC2K somehow managed to do this

But its not the lag that kill me the most, its just than the fun of the original simply wasnt theyre...

Thankfully SC3K made up for it.

Jean on
    "You won't destroy us, You won't destroy our democracy. We are a small but proud nation. No one can bomb us to silence. No one can scare us from being Norway. This evening and tonight, we'll take care of each other. That's what we do best when attacked'' - Jens Stoltenberg
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    and now to really piss off some people.
    Halo.

wait wait...Halo it self was good, but seriously, by the time I had shot gun blasted the flood guys for the bajillionth time I was like...seriously...am I still playing this level? But the multiplayer was the best, so I kept it, and spent hours getting head shotted by my friend.

Yes, I have already pre-orded Halo 3...

I'll admit, the flood segments were tedious at the most exciting of times, but I guess it was to break the standard Elite/Jackal/Grunt regular combo into something a bit more mindless like Doom or Serious Sam.

As i have found, there are alot of parts in the Library where you can just run right by them. Just sprint it.

I tend to use an already active game so I can just skip the flood parts altogether.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I bought a used copy of Banjo-Kazooie in a bout of nostalgia and was pretty let-down. It's just SO. DAMN. FETCHY. It's the entirety of the game! It relies so much on digging into every nook and cranny of a level that the methodical nature of playing it effectively just feels like work. It's like Mario 64 mixed with a bunch of polygonal ink blot tests.

I wonder how the 360 sequel will turn out without the motion sensitivity to just paste a skin over the coming Mario.

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Blaket wrote: »

And I gotta echo the DK64 stuff. But I would like to know how far you have to go to unlock the original arcade game, because I never got it.

From memory, the fat baby Kong (Chunky or something) the mechanical toy level in which you freed him (I think it was in the back of K Rool's head) had an arcade machine in it, it was there. Jetpack I beleive you gain access to from Cranky Kong.

No idea where that is, but it sounds too far already...

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Blitz RawketBlitz Rawket Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Blaket wrote: »

No idea where that is, but it sounds too far already...
    It was some sort of factory stage. That machine was the highlight of the whole game.

Blitz Rawket on
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    KOTOR 2 and Codename JACK.
    I didn't read any reviews but enjoyed their first games so much went for it.

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    WillyFourEyesWillyFourEyes Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Jean wrote: »
    The SNES version of Sim City 2000 gotta be my biggest gaming dissapointement evar.

I had so much fun endlessly playing the original but its sequel.. ugh.. it was just so wrong

For starters how the fuck can you make a game that lags on a SNES??? SC2K somehow managed to do this

But its not the lag that kill me the most, its just than the fun of the original simply wasnt theyre...

Thankfully SC3K made up for it.

The PlayStation version was pretty bad for lag, too, but at least you could save multiple cities and do most of the scenarios.

WillyFourEyes on
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    and now to really piss off some people.
    Halo.

wait wait...Halo it self was good, but seriously, by the time I had shot gun blasted the flood guys for the bajillionth time I was like...seriously...am I still playing this level? But the multiplayer was the best, so I kept it, and spent hours getting head shotted by my friend.

Yes, I have already pre-orded Halo 3...

I'll admit, the flood segments were tedious at the most exciting of times, but I guess it was to break the standard Elite/Jackal/Grunt regular combo into something a bit more mindless like Doom or Serious Sam.

As i have found, there are alot of parts in the Library where you can just run right by them. Just sprint it.

I tend to use an already active game so I can just skip the flood parts altogether.

The flood in halo 1 are a nice change of pace the first time you blow through the game. After that, the flood-only levels aren't much fun, but levels like two betrayals, where you have huge flood vs covenant battles? those are so good. Like the pie.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    MasoniteMasonite Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Did anyone play Sudeki?

I have this friend who has somewhat horrible taste in games. I've sat him down to numerous games in the past: Shadow of the Colossus, Okami, F.E.A.R., Silent Hill 2, LoK: Defiance, etc. He wasn't particularly thrilled with any of those games. The stuff he likes? Sudeki, The Bouncer, and the numerous DBZ iterations.

Masonite on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Masonite wrote: »
    Did anyone play Sudeki?

I have this friend who has somewhat horrible taste in games. I've sat him down to numerous games in the past: Shadow of the Colossus, Okami, F.E.A.R., Silent Hill 2, LoK: Defiance, etc. He wasn't particularly thrilled with any of those games. The stuff he likes? Sudeki, The Bouncer, and the numerous DBZ iterations.

Hey, the majority of people cannot be saved. Don't let it bother you.
    Because deep down, you know your tastes are better than his.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Did anyone play Sudeki?

*raises hand*

Why are we bad?

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    STALKER.

Oh man, it is so bad. Really a very poor game.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I thought Quake for my PDA was going to be fun.

Hey hey! Moving with the stylus blows.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I thought Quake for my PDA was going to be fun.

Hey hey! Moving with the stylus blows.

Depends on the PDA. A Dell Axim X5 works pretty well with Quake, since the X5 is so large it's easier to hold in your left hand, and the 'D-pad' is circular and easy to use as "wasd." That leaves your right hand to tackle mouse aim on the 'mouse pad area' of the touch screen, which works really, really well. It's just getting comfortable holding the PDA and having and using a good Dpad that makes the difference, in my book.

WASD on dpad and Mouselook on touchscreen = awesome Quake control.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Slash.

It doesn't work for me. Sim City is pretty dope though.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    UltravisitorUltravisitor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Carnivore wrote: »
    STALKER.

Oh man, it is so bad. Really a very poor game.

I must agree...I didn't much enjoy playing it.

Ultravisitor on
    flcl1-1.jpg
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Slash.

It doesn't work for me. Sim City is pretty dope though.

That's fine. Not everyone can do it. Let me just say that the Dell Axim X5 is the only PDA that I have found to be comfortable playing Quake on. I tried an X3i and it was very uncomfortable.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Shujin KatanaShujin Katana ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    i love fire emblem, but i couldn't get through the cube version at all

same thing with the newest splinter cell, i don't know why, but i don't find it very interesting compared to the others

grand theft auto and madden, i can't play either for more than half an hour without wondering why the hell i picked it up to begin with (i honestly don't know why people love grand theft auto, i don't enjoy anything about it, the elder scrolls series is 10x better in my opinion, if you're looking for a free roaming game)
    also warcraft 3, i love wow, and i love strategy games, but i couldn't get into it
    final fantasy 7 was spoiled for me because of the graphics and to a degree the gameplay, final fantasy 9 spoiled me

on the other side, games that i didn't think would be that great, and ended up blowing my mind:
    chronicles or riddick, civ 4, advance wars, and my first experiences with fire emblem (life changing, they were)

Shujin Katana on
    DP: 0902 9415 9324
  • Options
    Something WittySomething Witty Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    PatboyX wrote: »
    KOTOR 2 and Codename JACK.
    I didn't read any reviews but enjoyed their first games so much went for it.
    I loved KotOR 2 myself, the characters were great and I found it more entertaining. Sucks that it all fell apart at the end though. D:

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Metroid Prime 1 and 2. At least, the end-game.

Like, the games themselves are fucking awesome. It was bad enough with the artifact hunt in MP1, but in MP2 they made it even worse with the key-hunt. Here's hoping they drop that shit in MP3.

Magus` on