As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need boot socks

RightfulSinRightfulSin Registered User regular
Ok, as the title kind of states. I am in need of work boot socks that are good for work boots that are waterproof. The thing is that the boots are waterproof with a membrane inside which means that the feet inside can get sweating and as such they are susceptible to rubbing then blisters. I am wondering if anybody has any advice/experience with finding work socks that would work with this. I am presently in SoCal, so it can get warm here with cold weather being not too often. I have done some research on merino wool, and I guess that is the "go-to"?

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I've had good luck with Darn Tough socks.

• Options
    I've had good luck with Darn Tough socks.

Ok, I'll take a look at those. I have some "boot socks" that I got, but they aren't venting. Feet get real sweaty, especially with the recent weather here. Also, the back of my heels has been getting what seems like a kind of friction burn/blister as of late. Didn't used to happen until recently, and aside from that the boots are great.

"If nothing is impossible, than would it not be impossible to find something that you could not do?" - Me
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    edited June 2021
    Ok, as the title kind of states. I am in need of work boot socks that are good for work boots that are waterproof. The thing is that the boots are waterproof with a membrane inside which means that the feet inside can get sweating and as such they are susceptible to rubbing then blisters. I am wondering if anybody has any advice/experience with finding work socks that would work with this. I am presently in SoCal, so it can get warm here with cold weather being not too often. I have done some research on merino wool, and I guess that is the "go-to"?

Merino wool is where its at for a wicking baselayer. That's not going to fix your sweaty feet problem in good weather if the boot doesn't breathe -- that might be a moleskin + foot powder thing, if you can't swap the waterproof boots for something that breathes better.

On the other side, I don't know how much you're intending to put the boots' waterproofing to the test, but if you're needing to rely on that waterproofing for hours+ in bad rain, I've seen recommended an outer sock that's nitrile dipped so they're properly waterproof. Waterproof boots will eventually shed water inside the boot, and/or it'll wick in from your pants (and then not dry out because the boot doesn't breathe). With a proper waterproof outer sock you might have a chance to empty the boot of standing water. (As I found out recently, at that point you aren't going to give a shit, and the boot is still going to be soaked through when you put it back on, so...recommend a jungle boot that drains, or a trail runner that breathes and has less mass to dry.)

SummaryJudgment on
    Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Merino wool is where its at for a wicking baselayer. That's not going to fix your sweaty feet problem in good weather if the boot doesn't breathe -- that might be a moleskin + foot powder thing, if you can't swap the waterproof boots for something that breathes better.

On the other side, I don't know how much you're intending to put the boots' waterproofing to the test, but if you're needing to rely on that waterproofing for hours+ in bad rain, I've seen recommended an outer sock that's nitrile dipped so they're properly waterproof. Waterproof boots will eventually shed water inside the boot, and/or it'll wick in from your pants (and then not dry out because the boot doesn't breathe). With a proper waterproof outer sock you might have a chance to empty the boot of standing water. (As I found out recently, at that point you aren't going to give a shit, and the boot is still going to be soaked through when you put it back on, so...recommend a jungle boot that drains, or a trail runner that breathes and has less mass to dry.)

I don't super need the waterproof (I am mainly in warehouse [some refrigeration] but do go about the outside property). I moreso need a reinforced toe, rugged outer layer (sharp/rough edges/terrain), an outer sole that can take a lot (LOT) of punishment [I am very hard on my shoes that the outer sole is often the thing that goes first] and preferred some electric and slipping hazard as well.

Looking/feeling the inside of my current boots (Timberland Pro Boondock) there does seem to be a kind of ridge/seem right at the top of the heel and the tendon itself [which where the current friction blister/burn is).

I bought them in March (now past the return date, bought on Amazon) and had no issues until late, though it wasn't really that hot so I wasn't sweating as much. Might be the issue.

Any advice of a remedy for this?

RightfulSin on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    You could try looking into hiking socks for socks that combine decent padding, wicking, and design for longer-term wear.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    I use Dickies work socks in my station wear/fire boots and they're fairly cheap and last surprisingly long.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    You could try looking into hiking socks for socks that combine decent padding, wicking, and design for longer-term wear.

When I needed good boot socks I looked up what Appalachian thru-hikers use, since I do a lot of hiking anyway plus my job at that time involved a lot of walking.

What they recommended was Darn Tough (or some other thick sturdy wool) outer sock layer, and Injinji sock liner inner layers. Yes, they are toe socks. No, it only feels weird the first few minutes of the first time you put them on. Yes, even in summer. The combination of both kept my feet from getting wet and kept blisters from forming. Even when my boots got drenched through, my feet did not feel soggy. As you may guess, I love these things.

You can order both directly from the manufacturers. Yeah, they're a little pricey, but Darn Tough will replace any socks you don't like with another pair (so long as they're still a pair and not burned or dog-eaten.) Also, it is worth it to get better socks. Trying to save a couple bucks will just cost a lot more in bodily damage later.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Mayabird wrote: »

When I needed good boot socks I looked up what Appalachian thru-hikers use, since I do a lot of hiking anyway plus my job at that time involved a lot of walking.

What they recommended was Darn Tough (or some other thick sturdy wool) outer sock layer, and Injinji sock liner inner layers. Yes, they are toe socks. No, it only feels weird the first few minutes of the first time you put them on. Yes, even in summer. The combination of both kept my feet from getting wet and kept blisters from forming. Even when my boots got drenched through, my feet did not feel soggy. As you may guess, I love these things.

You can order both directly from the manufacturers. Yeah, they're a little pricey, but Darn Tough will replace any socks you don't like with another pair (so long as they're still a pair and not burned or dog-eaten.) Also, it is worth it to get better socks. Trying to save a couple bucks will just cost a lot more in bodily damage later.

Injinji socks aren't exactly special in their construction (except for the toe sock part), so any rib knitted coolmax sock liner will do unless you're a toe-sock fanatic.
    The outer sock quality is a bit more important since that's where the majority of the wear and tear will be (and the type of sock you need depends on if you're using ankle height or high tops. High tops require thicker fabric around the ankle/calf to maintaing wicking properties). Many modern "hiking socks" have thinner material around the calf/ankle, while hunter socks are typically full-thickness all the way up.

If that doesn't work, then using sportstape on your heel/tendon during work hours and then ventilate your feet after work. Overall, ventilating your feet every 8 (or preferably every 6) hours and swapping socks is pretty much mandatory for long term feet health (or at least it was when I did my military service, although military boots&socks are more 1940s technology than anything else).

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Mayabird wrote: »

Injinji socks aren't exactly special in their construction (except for the toe sock part), so any rib knitted coolmax sock liner will do unless you're a toe-sock fanatic.
    The outer sock quality is a bit more important since that's where the majority of the wear and tear will be (and the type of sock you need depends on if you're using ankle height or high tops. High tops require thicker fabric around the ankle/calf to maintaing wicking properties). Many modern "hiking socks" have thinner material around the calf/ankle, while hunter socks are typically full-thickness all the way up.

If that doesn't work, then using sportstape on your heel/tendon during work hours and then ventilate your feet after work. Overall, ventilating your feet every 8 (or preferably every 6) hours and swapping socks is pretty much mandatory for long term feet health (or at least it was when I did my military service, although military boots&socks are more 1940s technology than anything else).

I would say I would be using high tops. I know I'm asking for a chunk here, but is there anything that has compression as well? I know that can be a needed thing with being on your feet so much as well.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

I don't super need the waterproof (I am mainly in warehouse [some refrigeration] but do go about the outside property). I moreso need a reinforced toe, rugged outer layer (sharp/rough edges/terrain), an outer sole that can take a lot (LOT) of punishment [I am very hard on my shoes that the outer sole is often the thing that goes first] and preferred some electric and slipping hazard as well.

Looking/feeling the inside of my current boots (Timberland Pro Boondock) there does seem to be a kind of ridge/seem right at the top of the heel and the tendon itself [which where the current friction blister/burn is).

I bought them in March (now past the return date, bought on Amazon) and had no issues until late, though it wasn't really that hot so I wasn't sweating as much. Might be the issue.

Any advice of a remedy for this?

Socks are the more affordable option but for everything in bolded? Red Wing boots.

Seriously I have a pair of their hiking/hunting boots that I picked up a decade ago and they're still in great condition. From the sounds of it you'd be a lot harder on them than I am but you'll still probably get years out of a pair.