As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sub-Saharan Africa] News and Politics Thread

1414243444547»

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/24/africa/nigeria-paramilitary-raids-gay-party-intl/index.html

"Seventy-six people were arrested for attending a birthday party for gay people in northern Nigeria, the country’s paramilitary agency said on Monday, adding that the organizer had also planned to hold a same sex wedding, which is illegal."

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2023
    jmcdonald wrote: »
    https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/24/africa/nigeria-paramilitary-raids-gay-party-intl/index.html

"Seventy-six people were arrested for attending a birthday party for gay people in northern Nigeria, the country’s paramilitary agency said on Monday, adding that the organizer had also planned to hold a same sex wedding, which is illegal."

Clearly a place that needs more Russian influence and less European. I really hope that the people are able to get their power back and make some reforms that lead toward less hateful priorities.

Edit: I should wait until I have had coffee before making hot takes.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Clearly a place that needs more Russian influence and less European. I really hope that the people are able to get their power back and make some reforms that lead toward less hateful priorities.

I think it was actually American Evangelicals that helped push for that law. I assume the government went along with it, in part, because gay birthday parties are an easier target than Boko Haram.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular

Nigeria has plenty of eropean influence, are you sure you are not mistaking it with Niger ?

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    FANTOMAS wrote: »

Nigeria has plenty of eropean influence, are you sure you are not mistaking it with Niger ?

My bad, I misread! The Nigerian/Nigerien thing makes these hard to parse. Thanks for the correction.

Holy hell I hope they un-fuck that.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »

I think it was actually American Evangelicals that helped push for that law. I assume the government went along with it, in part, because gay birthday parties are an easier target than Boko Haram.

I know in Uganda it was specifically the Americans Defending Freedom assholes, I kind of assumed it was them all over.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    So a video i stumbled across on instagrab started talking about this case like it was recent news

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-chad-france-charity-events-idUSL3190409220080331

Used images of a dead pope in it, mentiones the president of chad, Idriss Deby, whose been dead 2 years after getting attacked by rebels and child soldiers

Comments in said video were gaslighting racial trauma and conspiracy to get clicks. No where in the video was it mentioned that the childre were fleeing Darfur, nor was it mentioned the child soldiers used by the rebels who were alleged to have killed Deby.

Just more gaslighting

Smfh

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/11/10/corpses-on-streets-sudans-rsf-kills-1300-in-darfur-monitors-say

FUCK!

Edit: So arab government used conflict between Arab tribes and indigenous tribes to stoke rivalry and fight over resources the government shrank. Then they gave guns to arab farmers and goaded them into killinf the indigenous tribes.

Especially cruel was targeting tribal leadership

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    Well, back to Ethiopia, even though the Tigray War ended because there was not going to be a country left if it continued, and even though the country is still on the middle of reconstruction, Abiy is floating starting another war:
    Ethiopia is abuzz with rumours of a new war - which would be Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed's fourth in five years.

As well as importing weapons and mobilising his army, Mr Abiy - who was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2019 for his rapprochement with Eritrea - has been saying that access to the sea is an existential question.
    Abiy:
    Mr Abiy publicly denies that he intends to invade Eritrea, telling soldiers recently on armed forces day: "Ethiopia has never invaded any country and will not do so in the future."
    Also Abiy:
    In July, Mr Abiy publicly raised the question of Ethiopia's access to the sea.

He made the point that Ethiopia is the world's most-populous landlocked country - it has 125 million people - and that access to the sea was a top priority for Ethiopian emperors, notably Haile Selassie who ruled from 1930 until 1974.

Quoting a famous 19th Century general, Ras Alula, Mr Abiy said that the Red Sea was Ethiopia's natural boundary.

He reportedly told a meeting of businessmen that "we want to get a port by peaceful means. But if that fails we will use force".

Article is long and talks about how Abiy going off the deep end makes Eritrea, which is basically an African North Korea, and that recently war crimed their way through Ethiopia as part of Abiy's strategy on the Tigray War, as a reasonable country.
    In a remarkable reversal, Eritrea, once widely shunned for destabilising the Horn of Africa, is positioning itself as the responsible, status quo power.

In response to Mr Abiy, its statements have been terse and acerbic, pointedly refusing to join the "discourses" of its former ally on a matter that had "perplexed all concerned observers".

Ethiopia's other neighbours have been rattled too, and Djibouti, the self-declared Republic of Somaliland, Somalia and Kenya are joining Eritrea in an informal bloc to contain Ethiopia - issuing statements echoing one another's concerns.

Oh, and Ethiopia has two wars ongoing:
    The Ethiopian army has been depleted by the last three wars. The first was against the Oromo Liberation Army, and is still unfinished.

The second war, against the Tigray People's Liberation Front (TPLF), was fought in alliance with Eritrea, and ended with a cessation of hostilities a year ago. The Ethiopian army lost, by its own calculation, between 260,000 and 520,000 soldiers killed or missing in action, plus 374,000 wounded.

The third war, against Amhara militia, began in April and is bogging down a large proportion of the army in what increasingly looks like a quagmire - with reports that Eritrea is arming the Amhara militia, known as Fano.

So, in short, Abiy went off the deep end a long while ago and now his wars are endangering the entire Horn, so who knows what will happen.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    What is the standing force of the Ethiopian Army? Because losing nearly 1% of your population seems bad, no matter how you slice it.

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    What is the standing force of the Ethiopian Army? Because losing nearly 1% of your population seems bad, no matter how you slice it.

Well, latest numbers I can find say that they used to have around 140,000 active personnel, but that was on 2020, or 3 wars ago. I suspect that number didn't exactly got larger.

TryCatcher on
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Those numbers for soldiers lost seems high, most figures I can find top out at 300,00 killed in combat on all sides, 600,000 all together.

Also if anything the number of soldiers Ethiopia has may be large because of the influx of militias during the war. But numbers don't tell the whole story.

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited November 2023
    Sure is a shame there isn't a UN peacekeeping mission on the border Eritrea. (For reference there was one in between Ethiopia and Eritrea from 2000-2008 until Eritrea blocked them from getting any supply shipments so they left.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Sounds like Eritrea messed up there.

I still can't get over the fact that Abiy allied with Eritrea against Tigray and now is possibility looking at using Tigray against Eritrea, all to appease some other rebel group that originally allied with Tigray against the government!

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    It sojnds like Eritrea was/is trying to annex parts of Ethiopia they invaded during the Tigray war.

Which yeah I can see leading to a war but also seems to be a somewhat forseable consequence of asking Eritrea to help with your internal war.

And also Abiy seems to be counting how much Eritrean territory he might annex in a war to supposedly recover territory de facto annexed by Eritrea.

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/nov/15/rwanda-plan-tatters-defeat-undermines-entire-tory-project

Oh look, UK Supreme court says tories cannot send asylum seekers back to their homelands due to all those treaties England signed where they said they would not refuse asylum seekers.

• Options
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I'm a little confused, I'm seeing articles from a while back saying that the White House kicked Uganda and a few other countries out of AGOA over human rights violations...right alongside the articles today saying they just did it?

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    I'm a little confused, I'm seeing articles from a while back saying that the White House kicked Uganda and a few other countries out of AGOA over human rights violations...right alongside the articles today saying they just did it?

It sounds like they called on them to stop their bullshit or they would remove them like 8 months ago and then announced they would remove them like 2 months ago and then finally did it now.

• Options
    edited January 5
    https://youtu.be/zL-BFg--en8?si=JYALyy8dS3X-ULX6

Sakuya video about Ethiopia history and recent developments

Looks like abiy got his naval base
    https://apnews.com/article/somaliland-ethiopia-agreement-security-sea-access-f00ef41ece46c4618b007385e4d476a6

Somalia doesn't like it
    https://apnews.com/article/ethiopia-somalia-somaliland-deal-9923fff197e0de228b2f30c7e5137022

Trying to find his speech

Edit:article on it
    https://addisstandard.com/feature-a-population-of-150-million-cant-live-in-a-geographic-prison-pm-abiy-ahmed/

Basically Ethiopian president Abiy, or blood abiy depending on who you ask is pushing for more stuff for Ethiopia after the tigray war/genocides ended and threatens to reignite war with Eritrea

Need to research the blue Nile damn and the flooding

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

It sounds like they called on them to stop their bullshit or they would remove them like 8 months ago and then announced they would remove them like 2 months ago and then finally did it now.

Meanwhile a member of Congress has been encouraging Uganda to keep doing what they're doing, so that's bullshit.
    https://thehill.com/homenews/lgbtq/4381535-tim-walberg-tells-uganda-stand-firm-anti-gay-law/
    Rep. Tim Walberg (R-Mich.) in October remarks said Ugandan leaders, including President Yoweri Museveni, should “stand firm” in the face of international outrage over the passage of a law criminalizing same-sex conduct, including potentially the death penalty for individuals convicted of “aggravated homosexuality.”

“Whose side do we want to be on?” Walberg asked during Uganda’s National Prayer Breakfast on Oct. 8. “God’s side. Not the World Bank; not the United States of America necessarily; not the U.N. God’s side.”

may you should resign then, Unites States Representative Walberg. Just saying.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited January 5
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »

Meanwhile a member of Congress has been encouraging Uganda to keep doing what they're doing, so that's bullshit.
    https://thehill.com/homenews/lgbtq/4381535-tim-walberg-tells-uganda-stand-firm-anti-gay-law/
    Rep. Tim Walberg (R-Mich.) in October remarks said Ugandan leaders, including President Yoweri Museveni, should “stand firm” in the face of international outrage over the passage of a law criminalizing same-sex conduct, including potentially the death penalty for individuals convicted of “aggravated homosexuality.”

“Whose side do we want to be on?” Walberg asked during Uganda’s National Prayer Breakfast on Oct. 8. “God’s side. Not the World Bank; not the United States of America necessarily; not the U.N. God’s side.”

may you should resign then, Unites States Representative Walberg. Just saying.

Call me crazy, but it feels to me like incitement to genocide should be a simple and straightforward straight-to-jail sorta thing, for this guy and the various Evangelicals.

Kamar on
  • Options
    https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2024/1/20/we-cannot-trust-the-janjaweed-sudans-capital-ravaged-by-rsf-rule

Be nice if a few predator drones with blade missiles made their way here.

Also the term "arab" and "non-arab" being funky in this conflict isnt helping.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-military-withdrawal-niger-why-devastating-blow-but-likely-win-for-russia/?intcid=CNR-02-0623

Following a military coup in July 2023, Niger's leaders made it clear in various discussions with U.S. officials that they were not interested in U.S. efforts to help guide the country on a path toward new democratic elections, and were instead turning to Russia for security services and to Iran for a possible deal on Niger's uranium reserves.

U.S. military sources told CBS News there was a diplomatic push to try to mend the frayed relationship, but that Nigerien officials had made it clear the security cooperation was untenable.

Months later, in January, Niger's junta leaders agreed to enhance their military cooperation with Russia and, just last week, a Russian transport plane arrived in the capital Niamey reportedly carrying 100 Russian military trainers and a new air defense system.

US troops out, whater the replacement for Wagner group is called troops in. I'm sure a great improvement for the people of Niger.

Plus an agreement to sell uranium to a country with an illegal nuclear weapons program that is chronically short on hard currency.

This coup keeps doing exactly what everyone predicted it would do from day one.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    Yeah, this wasn't exactly hard to see coming

• Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    Human Rights Watch reporting that the Burkinabe military killed 223 civilians, including 56 children, in a pair of massacres two months ago.

https://www.hrw.org/news/2024/04/25/burkina-faso-army-massacres-223-villagers
    Witnesses said that between 8:30 and 9 a.m., about 30 minutes after a group of armed Islamist fighters passed near the village yelling “Allah Akbar!” (God is great), a military convoy with over 100 Burkinabè soldiers arrived on motorbikes, in pickup trucks, and in at least two armored cars in Nondin’s Basseré neighborhood located near the asphalted National Road 2. They said the soldiers went door-to-door, ordering people out of their homes and to show their identity cards. They then rounded up villagers in groups before opening fire on them. Soldiers also shot at people trying to flee or hide.

Villagers described a similar scenario in Soro, where soldiers arrived about an hour later and shot people who had been rounded up or who tried to hide or escape. “They separated men and women in groups,” said a 48-year-old farmer. “I was in the garden with other people when they [soldiers] called us. As we started moving forward, they opened fire on us indiscriminately. I ran behind a tree, and this saved my life.”

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill