What kind is chip is best [chat]

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Regular Potat
    Shake Shack in Houston has cheese fries

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Pringle
    I remember when Lunchables came out in the late 80s/early 90s, and they were a goddamn revelation at the time.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Tortilla
    Pizza Hut was better than it is now but we only ate there when we got the Book-It vouchers.

It was probably the top of the pizza chains at the time though. I think its more they stagnated and everyone else caught up though.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Tortilla
    what you mfers know about some kid cuisine with the molten lava brownie that also had corn in it because the corn always spilled into everything

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Quest (call for help)
    Shivahn wrote: »
    MrMister wrote: »
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    It's tricky with Malcolm Gladwell, because he puts out content that I enjoy on entertainment value, and the content often DOES challenge my biases and makes me want to research things on my own. But he also doesn't interrogate his own sources with the same level of rigor as I do (or most of [chat], I believe). He is famous enough that he gets to talk with interesting people that I like, too. For subjects where academic rigor usually doesn't matter, like say the history of certain genres of music or funny sports stories, he's great. It's the whole pop science shit that feels rather dangerous. A lot of his writing is just one step away from "Just So" stories.

I don't think there's even anything wrong with entertaining just-so stories when they're clearly labeled as such. Entertainment is entertainment, and hey, just-so stories could be true!

The irresponsible thing is giving people a sense that they've achieved greater understanding than they actually have

He is clearly a talented raconteur, though, and there's a place for that

I think this is kind of a problem! People are really bad at evaluating evidence, and "this could be true" is interpreted as "this is probably true" to an alarming degree for an alarming number of people.

Though "clearly labeled as such" is doing enough obfuscation that we might agree, I don't know. I just don't think that "this story could be true" in the realm of pop science is healthy.

In my mind, clearly labelling a just-so story as such includes acknowledgement that they're almost never true (because the total space of not-yet-ruled-out explanations is so huge, at least in the social science areas Gladwell plays around in)

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Kettle
    Chanus wrote: »
    what you mfers know about some kid cuisine with the molten lava brownie that also had corn in it because the corn always spilled into everything

I seriously loved that shit.

Also I am 50% certain it removed a few years of my life.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Tortilla
    80s food was 100% over processed garbage but it's my childhood damnit

Tortilla
    Tumin wrote: »
    I was going to try to Well Actually the 80s being the last good toy decade but apparently George Lucas has a card that gets him free food for life at any Burger King because of his brand loyalty when doing Star Wars promotions

I dont want one, but man, what a deal, I'd be a king!

But Phantom Menace did all their promos with Taco Bell!

I had a ton of those discs that came with the large pops that you had to match for prizes.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Tortilla
    emnmnme wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    For the youngsters in chat: food was TRASH in the 80s

It wasn't all trash. American Coca-Colas had real sugar in them in the 80s.

I don’t think I ever registered the change and I only barely remember all the New Coke stuff

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Sun
    the advent of the hot pocket destroyed kid cuisine
    why have a soggy vegetable filled meal when you could have a bread log filled with molten hot magma cheese and meat.

Bless your heart.
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited July 2021
    Tortilla
    80s food [chat] just straight burying my healthy recipe

it's a perfect metaphor for what happened in the 80s

spool32 on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Regular Potat
    I'm pretty sure like, brussels sprouts pre the 90s were literally scientifically less good, because they had more bitter compounds and plant scientists spent like an entire decade making them taste good

• GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular
    I feel like all food was either gray or brown in the 80s. Even the iceburg lettuce, once you removed it from the fridge, would have turned to brown water.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Regular Potat
    I just had a memory flash of this candy called Bonkers that was like gum but you ate it

oihrnsvio276.jpeg

Tortilla
    all the different novelty cereals that were just rebranded lucky charms

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Kettle

The 3 Michelin star peak of fine dining in the 1980s was a slab of pan seared salmon. I think about that a lot.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Sun

uzwdnbjsehvt.jpg
    tiny boxes of raisins with every lunch

Bless your heart.
    Tortilla
    Arch wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure like, brussels sprouts pre the 90s were literally scientifically less good, because they had more bitter compounds and plant scientists spent like an entire decade making them taste good

Yup, same as they did with broccoli from the 1960s on.

And spinach and pretty much all the other foods that are actually pretty good but Boomer cartoons have gags about how terrible they are and nobody wants to eat them regardless of healthiness.

• MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    Quest (call for help)
    Doodmann wrote: »

The 3 Michelin star peak of fine dining in the 1980s was a slab of pan seared salmon. I think about that a lot.

tbf, a slab of pan-seared salmon is great

Kettle
    Oh shit I did eat a lot of raisins in the 80's.

Also I am not sure when I first had like a normal grape.

u7stthr17eud.png
    edited July 2021
    Pringle
    I just had a memory flash of this candy called Bonkers that was like gum but you ate it

oihrnsvio276.jpeg

https://youtu.be/Bf9i-XVeFBY

This commercial is forever buried in my psyche because of Saturday Morning cartoons (maybe? Could also be after-school TV).

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    Kettle
    TTODewback wrote: »
    uzwdnbjsehvt.jpg
    tiny boxes of raisins sugar with every lunch

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

oihrnsvio276.jpeg

Oh god, their TV commercials terrified me. "Eat a Bonker and be crushed where you stood by giant fruit. And you die laughing."

• SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Open package and place directly in toilet

Flush pocket 🎵

can you feel the struggle within?
    Tortilla
    One of the biggest criticism's I've seen of Donald Trump's restaurants is that even though they are generally well executed, their menus are straight out of the 80's.

Let that one sink in if anyone wants to talk about how 80's food.

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Tortilla
    Actually, from the 90s that I still love:

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRU1q2JIrXbPwy9odlvyHY2T7HBpIqYtCorJ0WM8ludnH_vB44GO-FY-pNqT0JTHWrNQw-m35QHe4igog6MBvZOzREc2vqmZA

I was compromised by enemy action.
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/dYGuD3NVuCc

Holy shit this commercial.

I don’t eat pizza if it’s not X-treme

Tortilla
    i fuckin loved bonkers

but i also think i just loved anything with sugar in it

Pringle

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRU1q2JIrXbPwy9odlvyHY2T7HBpIqYtCorJ0WM8ludnH_vB44GO-FY-pNqT0JTHWrNQw-m35QHe4igog6MBvZOzREc2vqmZA

Ahahahaha. Serves Two Point Five.

Ahaha.

Haha.

Ha.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    Tortilla
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Oh shit I did eat a lot of raisins in the 80's.

Also I am not sure when I first had like a normal grape.

mom's big thing was yogurt raisins because we thought they were candy but they're actually healthy

we never thought they were candy

they aren't actually healthy

Regular Potat
    JebusUD wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/dYGuD3NVuCc

Holy shit this commercial.

I don’t eat pizza if it’s not X-treme

It’s not just a pizza it’s a FUCKING WRECKING BALL OF SHIT OH GOD

Sun
    also slap bracelets
    so many slap bracelets
    no child left behind
    everyone gets a slap bracelet

Bless your heart.
    Kettle
    I still love Stouffer's normal lasagna. Its horrifying and tasty.

They changed their veggie lasagna to have broccoli instead of being spinach, carrots, and cheese because broccoli is cheaper and it is a tragedy.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Sun
    zagdrob wrote: »
    One of the biggest criticism's I've seen of Donald Trump's restaurants is that even though they are generally well executed, their menus are straight out of the 80's.

Let that one sink in if anyone wants to talk about how 80's food.

from what I’ve heard, he demands a lot of input on the menu and interior design (because he’s B a raging narcissist), and he’s just always had dogshit taste

Like, his favorite dish is meatloaf with ketchup, or a well-done steak with ice cream if he’s feeling fancy

Charlie Kelly would be a better person to run your menu

Regular Potat
    As much as I love garbage I can’t do Stouffers lasagna

Yes, that’s my breaking point

Regular Potat
    No ricotta no deal

Just like calzones now for me

Tortilla
    is whatchamacallit still around

• CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Regular Potat

Ahaha.

Haha.

Ha.

why are we looking at a massive picture of jizz on toast?

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Tortilla

Ahaha.

Haha.

Ha.

You know, it actually is a ton of food -- you need about 6 slices of toast to shingle all of it so you can split it with someone easy

It's just that the calories don't include the third party bread you're bringing

I was compromised by enemy action.
This discussion has been closed.