As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MCU Movies] Thor: Love and Thunder hits on July 8 CLOSED SPOILERS

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    And I hate YouTube videos with false clickbait headlines.

Better. Of course I am an old who would honestly rather read this shit than watch it.

Why would you ever want to read an answer in seconds when you could spend twenty minutes watching somebody obnoxiously and slowly explain it with a themed voiced instead? And mentions subscribing three times before getting to the answer, which is only in the last thirty seconds of video? Followed by another beg at subscribing?

Well, when you put it that way....

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Better. Of course I am an old who would honestly rather read this shit than watch it.

Why would you ever want to read an answer in seconds when you could spend twenty minutes watching somebody obnoxiously and slowly explain it with a themed voiced instead? And mentions subscribing three times before getting to the answer, which is only in the last thirty seconds of video? Followed by another beg at subscribing?

Christ, that. I've been in Internet arguments where a rebuttal is in the form of a 47-minute clickbaity video, and then the person gets huffy when I tell them I'm not watching that.

Unless the debate is over audiovisual stuff, a YouTube video is NEVER better than a well-sourced article.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited December 2021

Good, he did a great job with Shang-chi so I assume he'd do a good job on the sequel (though not necessarily as Wonder Woman 84 has proven :D)

Edit: Oh, and this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKzWmAehB0c

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Good, he did a great job with Shang-chi so I assume he'd do a good job on the sequel (though not necessarily as Wonder Woman 84 has proven :D)

In a complete twist, Molina is actually playing Boris the Butcher, Dafoe is playing Agent Smecker, and Foxx is playing.... What's a stupid but awesome character he's played?

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I hate game theory and film theory

But most of all, I hate mattpat and his voice

he said he's from Medina Ohio

which is a 5 minute drive West of me

I dated a girl from the High School there a long time ago

He was not a thing at the time so I did not beat him up, I am sorry

• Options
    TarantioTarantio Registered User regular

In a complete twist, Molina is actually playing Boris the Butcher, Dafoe is playing Agent Smecker, and Foxx is playing.... What's a stupid but awesome character he's played?

Dean "Motherfucker" Jones?

• Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Tarantio wrote: »

Bunz, from Booty Call

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    So I'm 2/3 of the way through Shang-Chi and there are a couple neat details I noticed

1. When Shang is trained by his Aunt, she literally teaches him not to fight with a Closed Fist but with an Open Palm

2. The big bad's right hand man is a guy in a full body suit with a sick mask covering up his entire face

I don't know if these are just common tropes or if they're making a sly nod to Jade Empire, but I like the similarities either way.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    iguanacus wrote: »

Bunz, from Booty Call

Ray Charles

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular

It's like trying to read a recipe you found online. There's a pointless novel you have to scroll through to get to the actual recipe details.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Kyougu wrote: »

Bunz, from Booty Call

Ray Charles

His version of Daddy Warbucks, whatever his name was.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Edit

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

Bunz, from Booty Call

Ray Charles

His version of Daddy Warbucks, whatever his name was.

Father Battledollars

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Father Battledollars, the unseen fourth warlord in the Fury Road wasteland.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Father Battledollars, the unseen fourth warlord in the Fury Road wasteland.

What a day! What a beautiful Day! The Sun'll come out!

• Options

I like that they had to promise him Electro wouldn't look like shit to get him to come back :D

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Honestly, the design has grown on me over the years

ASM films had some issues but blueberry Jamie Foxx wasn't one of them to me

• Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    So I'm 2/3 of the way through Shang-Chi and there are a couple neat details I noticed

1. When Shang is trained by his Aunt, she literally teaches him not to fight with a Closed Fist but with an Open Palm

2. The big bad's right hand man is a guy in a full body suit with a sick mask covering up his entire face

I don't know if these are just common tropes or if they're making a sly nod to Jade Empire, but I like the similarities either way.

Number 1 is like the whole point of difference between mom and dad.
    I was so disappointed for number 2 and how there was no further explanation of that character.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

Number 1 is like the whole point of difference between mom and dad.
    I was so disappointed for number 2 and how there was no further explanation of that character.

They were kicked out of the Henchman's Circle for revealing secrets

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I actually really liked that Mask Ninja just gets Worf'd at the first opportunity rather than having some big backstory and development.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    I actually really liked that Mask Ninja just gets Worf'd at the first opportunity rather than having some big backstory and development.

Mask Ninja was the Boogeyman. A spectre of fear from Shang's childhood. His mere appearance still summons that fear and pain, but when Shang actually faces him as an adult he's nothing to actually fear, just another mook to punch. Not even a miniboss.

Hevach on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »

Mask Ninja was the Boogeyman. A spectre of fear from Shang's childhood. His mere appearance still summons that fear and pain, but when Shang actually faces him as an adult he's nothing to actually fear, just another mook to punch. Not even a miniboss.

Took dear old Dad to keep him from turning Mask into a shish kebab.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

Yeah, mask ninja was a step up from the other ninjas, but Shang defeated how many of them at once? While hanging off some bamboo scaffolding twenty stories up? Once Shang got his feet under him, mask ninja was just a ninja with a longer life bar and an extra couple moves. Wasn't even a miniboss at that point.

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

Yeah, mask ninja was a step up from the other ninjas, but Shang defeated how many of them at once? While hanging off some bamboo scaffolding twenty stories up? Once Shang got his feet under him, mask ninja was just a ninja with a longer life bar and an extra couple moves. Wasn't even a miniboss at that point.

would you say he was ... barely an inconvenience?

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular

The ASM movies are such a bummer cause there's some really neat/great things about them but they get buried under the bad, speally with two.

Like this is just such a great opening and really captures Spidey in a way I don't think the others movie have yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfV-0Yv5vNY&t=252s

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular

I didn't care that he was blue, I cared that he was stupid boring. They cast Jamie Foxx, who is super charismatic and made him one of the most boring villains ever...it was crazy how they pulled that off.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

I didn't care that he was blue, I cared that he was stupid boring. They cast Jamie Foxx, who is super charismatic and made him one of the most boring villains ever...it was crazy how they pulled that off.

God this is reminding me I still need to watch this crap before No Way Home comes out... Since Disney+ is clearly failing me on the whole "Oh yeah we totally got rights to stream the Sony Marvel stuff!" thing I might just have to bite the bullet and rent these :/ (tho I refuse to spend money on Spider-man 3... I've seen it forever ago and it was garbage trash... I don't remember much but I remember that :P )

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021

And the guitar riffs whenever he shot lightning were a bit cheesy.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

The ASM movies are such a bummer cause there's some really neat/great things about them but they get buried under the bad, speally with two.

Like this is just such a great opening and really captures Spidey in a way I don't think the others movie have yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfV-0Yv5vNY&t=252s

He's the best wisecracker we've had by a mile.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited December 2021

God this is reminding me I still need to watch this crap before No Way Home comes out... Since Disney+ is clearly failing me on the whole "Oh yeah we totally got rights to stream the Sony Marvel stuff!" thing I might just have to bite the bullet and rent these :/ (tho I refuse to spend money on Spider-man 3... I've seen it forever ago and it was garbage trash... I don't remember much but I remember that :P )

My dirty little secret....I love Spider-Man 3. Venom was awful but I quite liked the rest. Thomas Hayden Church was fantastic as Sandman. Him trying to grab his daughters locket after becoming sand is legit one of the best scenes of any Spidey movie. I liked the culmination of the Goblin story. Peter getting the symbiote was a thing that happens, but it was fortunately brief. The climactic battle with Spidey/Gobby vs Venom/Sandman was pretty spectacular. The stuff they did with Peter/MJ was dumb, but I guess they wanted some drama and I can deal with that.

So for me, the stuff I enjoy is outweighed by the bad. I legitimately enjoy the movie.

As for the Amazing movies, I liked them both to a degree. ASM2 is definitely the worst of the Spidey movies, but Garfield and Stone are so good in it that I can still enjoy the movie even with the awful story and villains.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Underneath the hammy bits, there's a good movie in SM3. Sandman's arc was surprisingly good, and you could easily recut the movie to just have him be the big bad.

It's still a Raimi ass movie. And I'll forever love him for doing practical tentacles for Ock, something SM2 will always have over the other films is just incredible action blocking and effects.

• Options
    edited December 2021

My dirty little secret....I love Spider-Man 3. Venom was awful but I quite liked the rest. Thomas Hayden Church was fantastic as Sandman. Him trying to grab his daughters locket after becoming sand is legit one of the best scenes of any Spidey movie. I liked the culmination of the Goblin story. Peter getting the symbiote was a thing that happens, but it was fortunately brief. The climactic battle with Spidey/Gobby vs Venom/Sandman was pretty spectacular. The stuff they did with Peter/MJ was dumb, but I guess they wanted some drama and I can deal with that.

So for me, the stuff I enjoy is outweighed by the bad. I legitimately enjoy the movie.

As for the Amazing movies, I liked them both to a degree. ASM2 is definitely the worst of the Spidey movies, but Garfield and Stone are so good in it that I can still enjoy the movie even with the awful story and villains.

See, I don't remember much of Sandman at all. It's entirely possible I didn't even see the whole movie (I think I caught it on cable or something so I may have missed some of the beginning?). Like, the only thing I remember is smug ass emo Tobey McGuire and hating the absolute shit out of all of that. It's possible I'd like it more if I watched it again, but maaaaan I hated emo Tobey...

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Fortunately Emo Tobey is a very small part of the overall movie. Venom doesn't even come into it proper until the end. Most of the is Sandman and he was so good in it. Look up the birth of Sandman scene from the movie. It was just such a fantastic scene.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    Sandman is great.

The way they sledgehammer retconned him in to Uncle Ben's death suuuuuuuucks.

So that kinda brings things down, for me at least.

• Options
    I hated it at the start, but after many years, getting older, and seeing it several times, I've softened on that.

The entire movie's theme is forgiveness and how holding onto hatred can effect a person's life and everyone around them.

Raimi shoehorned Sandman into the Ben murder so that Tobey can choose to forgive him.

Eddy was brought down by his own inability to own up to his own mistakes and forgive Peter.

Harry was almost done in by his hated and holding a grudge but ultimately died a hero because he chose to forgive and make amends with Peter.

It was silly, but it was in works of the theme they were working with. I don't hate it as much as I used to.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    It’s likely due to contracts and stuff, but it’s supremely stupid that it’s so hard to stream any of the other Spider-Man movies. The original are on Peacock I think and the ASM movies are on TruTV and Fubo.

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    The parts I like about SM3 are all in the cast. Thomas Haden Church does good work making Sandman someone you can feel for. Topher Grace is pitch perfect as evil whiny Peter Parker. Bryce Dallas Howard was very likable as Gwen, it would have been nice if she'd had more to do.

Other than that, I think it's mostly garbage.

• Options
    Marathon wrote: »
    It’s likely due to contracts and stuff, but it’s supremely stupid that it’s so hard to stream any of the other Spider-Man movies. The original are on Peacock I think and the ASM movies are on TruTV and Fubo.

Disney and Sony supposedly inked a deal in like, April where Disney would allow Sony stuff to stream on Disney+, including basically every Spider-man movie (the old ones and the MCU ones and even the Venom movies). But I dunno what happened to this. You would *think* they would want to get those up in time for No Way Home but apparently not? I assume it's still coming at some point? But I wish they would have gotten it done by now :/

• Options
    The Disney deal only goes into effect next year or so, Netflix secured the rights to their stuff for the first year before that

This discussion has been closed.