Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Using savestates, I finally smashed my way through All Stars SMB2/Lost Levels. And the physics are really slippery and floaty, especially considering the razor thin precision the game demands at times.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I think nearly everyone who played Lost Levels agrees that Nintendo of America absolutely made the right decision to swap that game with a reskinned Doki Doki Panic.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    I beat Lost Levels with Luigi back when All Stars first came out on SNES. Not sure if I ever beat it with Mario and I’m pretty sure old me no longer has the reflexes required to do so without abusing save states.

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    This looks really fun. I would almost say...watch out for spoilers? For a racing game? But it wouldn't look as fun without all the crazy stuff they show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBMo_qGrneE

You can attach neon lights to your actual triceratops.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    Ok, I just got a switch, so I gotta ask. Is there a switch version of Wii sports? My family loved that game, and I figure it would be a good way to avoid getting my mother to ask how much I spent on the console. Plus I like the bowling game.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Matthew wrote: »
    Ok, I just got a switch, so I gotta ask. Is there a switch version of Wii sports? My family loved that game, and I figure it would be a good way to avoid getting my mother to ask how much I spent on the console. Plus I like the bowling game.

It's a crime that there isn't.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    This looks really fun. I would almost say...watch out for spoilers? For a racing game? But it wouldn't look as fun without all the crazy stuff they show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBMo_qGrneE

You can attach neon lights to your actual triceratops.

As great as it looks, the lack of online is a dealbreaker for me. Will probably pick it up on sale later.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Are we expecting the Switch OLED to be similar to the PS5/XBn? I looked online and it mentioned a few pre-orders but they were gone quick.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    edited September 2021

There is unfortunately no Switch version of Wii Sports, but there are a lot of games that are compilations of minigames that could last a family a good long time.

The games I'm listing here are not my top picks for early Switch games to buy (those would be Mario Kart, Zelda Breath of the Wild, and Mario Odyssey), but specifically thinking in the vein of sports/party for families:

Mario Party doesn't have the "real world" sporting equivalent, but it always keeps you on your toes with new minigames that everyone has to figure out really fast as you're introduced to them. In terms of a "fun for the whole family" kind of game with lots to do, it's pretty good.

If you liked the golf part of Wii Sports, Mario Golf: Super Rush could be seen as a greatly expanded version of Wii Sports golf, and it's really fun. I don't love the new mode where you have a time limit and run to your ball between shots, but fortunately you don't have to play that way, you can just play traditional golf.

I don't know if there are any high budget/polished bowling games on Switch. I looked around online and some people were saying that Strike! Ten Pin Bowling is pretty close to the Wii Sports bowling experience. There is supposedly a demo that can give you a feel for it.

Clubhouse Games: 51 World Classics is a Nintendo-made game with all the polish that comes with that. Lots of good card and board games, as well as a couple oddball things like mechanical baseball and fishing. Unfortunately it seems to have been mostly developed with 2 player in mind, there are not that many options for 3 and 4 players, but in spite of that there's a lot of great stuff here.

Go Vacation is a good time for families though it lacks the "immediacy" of Wii Sports. There are four main areas to explore as open worlds with activities to match, like jet skiing, regular skiing, horseback riding, minigolf, skateboarding etc. It isn't mindblowingly awesome, but for the sheer number of activities to do (50+), you're bound to find some things you enjoy.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options

There is unfortunately no Switch version of Wii Sports, but there are a lot of games that are compilations of minigames that could last a family a good long time.

The games I'm listing here are not my top picks for early Switch games to buy (those would be Mario Kart, Zelda Breath of the Wild, and Mario Odyssey), but specifically thinking in the vein of sports/party for families:

Mario Party doesn't have the "real world" sporting equivalent, but it always keeps you on your toes with new minigames that everyone has to figure out really fast as you're introduced to them. In terms of a "fun for the whole family" kind of game with lots to do, it's pretty good.

If you liked the golf part of Wii Sports, Mario Golf: Super Rush could be seen as a greatly expanded version of Wii Sports golf, and it's really fun. I don't love the new mode where you have a time limit and run to your ball between shots, but fortunately you don't have to play that way, you can just play traditional golf.

I don't know if there are any high budget/polished bowling games on Switch. I looked around online and some people were saying that Strike! Ten Pin Bowling is pretty close to the Wii Sports bowling experience. There is supposedly a demo that can give you a feel for it.

Clubhouse Games: 51 World Classics is a Nintendo-made game with all the polish that comes with that. Lots of good card and board games, as well as a couple oddball things like mechanical baseball and fishing. Unfortunately it seems to have been mostly developed with 2 player in mind, there are not that many options for 3 and 4 players, but in spite of that there's a lot of great stuff here.

Go Vacation is a good time for families though it lacks the "immediacy" of Wii Sports. There are four main areas to explore as open worlds with activities to match, like jet skiing, regular skiing, horseback riding, minigolf, skateboarding etc. It isn't mindblowingly awesome, but for the sheer number of activities to do (50+), you're bound to find some things you enjoy.

Ten pin bowling looks like it might be exactly what I’m looking for. Mario Kart is also a good choice. Thanks very much!

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular

Clubhouse 51 games is pretty fantastic and it's played a lot in our house. But as much as I wish they would make a new "Wii" Sports game for the Switch, they haven't yet.

C'mon Nintendo upgrade Wii Sports Club to the Switch and call it Switch Sports!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Switch ports Wii Sports

Say that five times fast

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    BLUETOOTH AUDIO NOW ADDED TO NINTENDO SWITCH VIA FIRMWARE UPGRADE!

I’M GONNA TRY IT RIGHT NOW.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    It works and it’s so good! I have it paired with my Apple AirPods Pro. Effortless and awesome. Gonna try with my Xbox One X headset later but there’s no reason it won’t work, I’m sure.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    So Nintendo have finally entered the 21st century...

• Options
  • Options

Metacritic isn't gospel but it's good to check...

https://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/instant-sports

When there are no reviews at all it's suspect.

When the user score is 1.8...yeah.

• Options
    exisexis Registered User regular

Did they ever give their reasoning as to why this wasn't always a thing?

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    It works and it’s so good! I have it paired with my Apple AirPods Pro. Effortless and awesome. Gonna try with my Xbox One X headset later but there’s no reason it won’t work, I’m sure.

Tried it with my Letscom noise-cancelling headphones, worked fine so far.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

The Switch is now the only video game console to support native Bluetooth audio

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Drez wrote: »
    BLUETOOTH AUDIO NOW ADDED TO NINTENDO SWITCH VIA FIRMWARE UPGRADE!

I’M GONNA TRY IT RIGHT NOW.

I remember speculating on this over the years.

The caveats are pretty much exactly as expected...only 2 controllers while using it (does this mean 4 joycons?), and bluetooth audio is disabled during local communication for similar reasons.

Not defending Nintendo, but trying to understand their arcane thought processes...my assumption for why they didn't have it was that they wanted to provide a consistent user experience in all cases, and not have people expect something to work and wonder why it doesn't. Not being like "hey why does my bluetooth speaker stop working when we have 4 players." And/or calling Nintendo to angrily report that their Switch is broken because all the audio has 100-200ms lag.

Some people are already reporting pretty bad latency. Going into Mario All-Stars and hearing Mario jump when he reaches the peak of his jump.

Who knows why they suddenly made this change. Bluetooth dominates the headphone market and they see it necessary to stay relevant?
    Expecting the OLED to be a new market of "high end" players who will expect bluetooth? Switch and bluetooth have been around long enough that they feel the average person understands that BT adds a new wrinkle, so if it doesn't work perfectly it's probably just BT latency and not the Switch?

• Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Can you use Bluetooth audio while it's docked? Would be nice to use my wireless headphones while playing on my tv at night.

• Options
    dipuc4lifedipuc4life ... In my own HeadRegistered User regular
    I was all like WHOOOO... until I realized that Microphones are not supported, only headphones. I mean, it's not like they have many games that support the mic (Fortnite and Warframe) but it would have been nice. Now I'm all like Whooo instead of WHOOO ... Dammit. Don't get me wrong I'm still happy ... but only moistly happy.

NNID: SW-6490-6173-9136
    Playstation: Dipuc4Life
    Warframe_Switch IGN: ONVEBAL
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    dipuc4life wrote: »
    I was all like WHOOOO... until I realized that Microphones are not supported, only headphones. I mean, it's not like they have many games that support the mic (Fortnite and Warframe) but it would have been nice. Now I'm all like Whooo instead of WHOOO ... Dammit. Don't get me wrong I'm still happy ... but only moistly happy.

I'm usually completely satisfied when I'm moistly happy, but you do you.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options

It's an inherent limitation of common bluetooth codecs that it doesn't support high quality audio and microphone at the same time. Technically Nintendo could probably let you do both at once, but the sound would be terrible.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

The Switch is now the only video game console to support native Bluetooth audio

Vita's had it for a decade, and Sony/MS at least put 3.5 jacks in their home console wireless controllers. Meanwhile even after this update, Nintendo still expects you to use their phone app for voice chat.

• Options
    Can you use Bluetooth audio while it's docked? Would be nice to use my wireless headphones while playing on my tv at night.

Most likely but I’ll confirm in the morning.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Clubhouse 51 games is pretty fantastic and it's played a lot in our house. But as much as I wish they would make a new "Wii" Sports game for the Switch, they haven't yet.

C'mon Nintendo upgrade Wii Sports Club to the Switch and call it Switch Sports!

Out of curiosity, do Mario Golf and Mario Tennis mimic the Wii Sports versions to any appreciable degree?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Yeah the delay in audio is why I don't use Bluetooth headphones on my phone when I play games. It's very distracting.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Yeah the delay in audio is why I don't use Bluetooth headphones on my phone when I play games. It's very distracting.

Ehh I barely even notice it after a few minutes

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

Ehh I barely even notice it after a few minutes

I'm extra sensitive to those kind of delays. There a few Game Grumps episodes that are unwatchable for me because the audio sync is off by a second.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    The Switch only has SBC codex support, so the wireless latency is going to be bad for some stuff (esp things that you want to use audio-cues for to time yourself). FWIW, I'm glad they finally added support for it, even with its issues.

3rd party USB-C bluetooth adapters have faster codex support in general, so those still have a niche at least if you have bluetooth headphones that support them.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote: »

I'm usually completely satisfied when I'm moistly happy, but you do you.
    Adventures with Bluetooth headphones and haptic feedback...

• Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    So I just found out that my significant other will be away for the weekend when Metroid Dread launches.

Please, please be good!

My plan is to get up as if I'm going to work, get pesky food shopping and workout done, and have the switch ready on the big tv with the curtains closed by 10 am.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Super laggy audio on my Bluetooth earbuds. Granted, that'll be their fault more than the Switch's, but still. Ho hum, might have to start shopping for a new set (also gonna probably want them for when the Steam Deck launches). But I like these ones... :sad:

Jazz on
  • Options
    * door slams *

"Oh, honey!! Y-you're home early..."

* quickly un-docks Switch *

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Bluetooth audio lag is unfortunately a complex formula of codec implementation on both ends of the connection. It is 100% possible to get good quality low latency audio via bluetooth but I have found that to be the exception rather than the rule.

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I have a Bluetooth capable soundbar that I'm using (wired) for my computer, will have to see if I can get that working with the Switch and what kind of audio delay, if any, it gives me. The audio quality will be much better than the monitor speakers it's currently using while docked, here's hoping the delay isn't bad.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I think nearly everyone who played Lost Levels agrees that Nintendo of America absolutely made the right decision to swap that game with a reskinned Doki Doki Panic.

Yeah, younger me was pretty mad about this ("We didn't get the *real* SMB2!!" etc). Adult me is quite glad NoA wasn't stupid and gave us a way superior game. Like, in every way that was the right decision. I kinda feel like not doing that would have actually hurt Mario's reputation in the US quite a bit (at least until SMB3 restored it)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Mario Bros 2 (Doki Doki Panic) is probably my favorite Mario game. I still go back and replay some version of it at least once a year or so. It hits all the right nostalgia buttons while still being a very solid and fun game.