Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Counterpoint: The Joycons are amazing! Although the Pro controller is amazing too, so you can't go wrong either way.

It's amazing Nintendo hasn't been hit with a class action lawsuit for their manufacturing flaws... I guess?

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Counterpoint: The Joycons are amazing! Although the Pro controller is amazing too, so you can't go wrong either way.

It's amazing Nintendo hasn't been hit with a class action lawsuit for their manufacturing flaws... I guess?

No denying that. How the left Joycon got borked and not fixed after this long is fascinating.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Raybies666 wrote: »
    Ah, an Oddjob player

Not on your life buddy!

My skills were honed in the fire of living in the middle of nowhere, and having no social life 5 days a week!

I grew up in a neighborhood with a ton of kids my my age and we were all obsessed with Goldeneye multiplayer. Nobody wanted to be the one to give up their controller to the next kid waiting to play, and it got brutal. Later I moved to a more.. ahem.. normal neighborhood and every once in a while would run into a kid who would proclaim to be "the best in the world at Goldeneye". I'd beat every one of them so badly that they would refuse to play again. Got to the point where I literally couldn't find anyone to play, because no one likes getting destroyed constantly.

To this day I wonder what would have happened had I stumbled upon some kind of competitive scene. I could have been a contendah!

Edit: one of the kids I did this to insisted on playing normal settings with body armor. I was all about the pure combat of license to kill mode so I argued against it at first but then I thought fine, it won't matter anyway. About midway through the game he started accusing me of cheating because I picked up the body armor.

motherfucker you asked for this.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Ah, an Oddjob player

Not on your life buddy!

My skills were honed in the fire of living in the middle of nowhere, and having no social life 5 days a week!

I grew up in a neighborhood with a ton of kids my my age and we were all obsessed with Goldeneye multiplayer. Nobody wanted to be the one to give up their controller to the next kid waiting to play, and it got brutal. Later I moved to a more.. ahem.. normal neighborhood and every once in a while would run into a kid who would proclaim to be "the best in the world at Goldeneye". I'd beat every one of them so badly that they would refuse to play again. Got to the point where I literally couldn't find anyone to play, because no one likes getting destroyed constantly.

To this day I wonder what would have happened had I stumbled upon some kind of competitive scene. I could have been a contendah!

Edit: one of the kids I did this to insisted on playing normal settings with body armor. I was all about the pure combat of license to kill mode so I argued against it at first but then I thought fine, it won't matter anyway. About midway through the game he started accusing me of cheating because I picked up the body armor.

Tell him to stop looking at your screen!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
      the most amazing thing about the joy-cons is the price to buy extra ones. I cannot understand why they cost so much! For a system that's designed to get 8 people to play locally they make it very expensive to buy the nintendo products to do that. It's far better to buy a ton of 3rd party wireless controllers. Even MS and Sony put their controllers on sale occasionally. Why Nintendo, why?!?

• Options
      urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
      edited September 2021
      Do they though? PS4 controllers are still $60. I don't think I've ever seen them on sale and I've bought 4 of them due to joystick drift.

ETA I agree they are overpriced though. I think it's my least favorite controller they've made.

urahonky on
    • Options
      KupiKupi Registered User regular
      My Goldeneye story is that one time I managed to pick up the proximity mines, booby-trap every spawn point in Facility, and (against trend, since my friend was the one who owned the game) score a kill, setting off an indefinite chain of kills since I could just re-mine any of the traps that had gone off. We did not use weapon sets with explosives after that.

The same friend and I created a "laser tag" mode in Perfect Dark, since you were able to attach remote mines to other players in that game. We turned the invincibility cheat on and set up a custom game mode with nothing but the Moonraker Laser stand-in and remote mines, then attached remote mines to each other's front and back. After that, whoever could make the other explode with their laser was the winner.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    • Options
      UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
      Brainiac 8 wrote: »
      https://mobile.twitter.com/Smoncdahonk/status/1434197084299620352

So apparently Sonic colors have some issues that is causing some seizure inducing graphical glitches. There are several that have been reporting these issues but others that are not running into them. Either way it looks like they really goofed up the port and it seems Nintendo and Microsoft are giving out refunds as it's a known issue.

I had already pre-ordered it and mine should be showing up in a couple days so I'm hoping I don't run into these issues.

Apparently you can trigger this intentionally by hopping between planets on the level select screen. There's some memory leak that happens if you do that which causes the weird flashing and corrupted graphics. And I'm sure this could happen unintentionally if you just played the game normally for 5-10 hours straight without turning it off.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    • Options
      EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
      urahonky wrote: »
      Do they though? PS4 controllers are still $60. I don't think I've ever seen them on sale and I've bought 4 of them due to joystick drift.

ETA I agree they are overpriced though. I think it's my least favorite controller they've made.

ive only bought ps4 controllers on sale for like $40 i think. ive never seen the switch pro controller on sale. i do have some of the powerA pro controllers but one got really bad drift and i opened it to clean it but those fuckers are put together so you cant actually take them apart to clean, so i sprayed some contact cleaner in, and now the drift is gone but the battery wont charge. so i ripped the battery out of it and threw it away and that is just a wired controller now. Then another one of them got drift on the other joystick, and contact cleaner and compressed air couldnt get out whatever was causing it. so now we just give that one to the baby because he likes pressing buttons, and it looks exactly like our 3rd one that we just got out of the box, so it still works for now. might have to just splurge and get the expensive switch pro. though i did get one of those 8bitdo adapters and can use the wiiu pro controller (along with xbox and ps4) on the switch just fine, i just cant use the controller to turn the system on. the joycon are too cramped though, my hands hurt after using them for a short time.
      Ah, an Oddjob player

Not on your life buddy!

Man there was always some kid running his mouth about how he was a god at goldeneye. everyone in my area was like pfft goldeneye is garbage, perfect dark is where its at. and our perfect dark games were heated. like older brothers were called in, people bought new controllers so they didnt have to deal with the joystick getting loose. and people were very opinionated on maps and weapons we used. and people thought oddjob was a problem, but he aint got shit on the alien body in perfect dark with a small head like cassandra's.

• Options
      Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
      One time my friend fired a rocket at a wall and killed himself on purpose when there were only a few seconds left in the match and we were up by 1 point (or maybe it was tied.. I just remember it made us lose) I think I remember trying to strangle him with the n64 cord.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
    • Options
      edited September 2021
      Enigmedic wrote: »

ive only bought ps4 controllers on sale for like $40 i think. ive never seen the switch pro controller on sale. i do have some of the powerA pro controllers but one got really bad drift and i opened it to clean it but those fuckers are put together so you cant actually take them apart to clean, so i sprayed some contact cleaner in, and now the drift is gone but the battery wont charge. so i ripped the battery out of it and threw it away and that is just a wired controller now. Then another one of them got drift on the other joystick, and contact cleaner and compressed air couldnt get out whatever was causing it. so now we just give that one to the baby because he likes pressing buttons, and it looks exactly like our 3rd one that we just got out of the box, so it still works for now. might have to just splurge and get the expensive switch pro. though i did get one of those 8bitdo adapters and can use the wiiu pro controller (along with xbox and ps4) on the switch just fine, i just cant use the controller to turn the system on. the joycon are too cramped though, my hands hurt after using them for a short time.

https://www.dekudeals.com/items/pro-controller They're on sale right now for $60. They've dropped down to $50 before.

urahonky on
    • Options
      rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
      Pailryder wrote: »
      the most amazing thing about the joy-cons is the price to buy extra ones. I cannot understand why they cost so much! For a system that's designed to get 8 people to play locally they make it very expensive to buy the nintendo products to do that. It's far better to buy a ton of 3rd party wireless controllers. Even MS and Sony put their controllers on sale occasionally. Why Nintendo, why?!?

I'm sure in Nintendo's mind you're only paying $40 a "controller"...

• Options
      anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
      The hori joy con for the left side works well, but I basically got that for a dpad.

These days I mostly only use my switch lite. It just feels right, has a dpad, and portable works better for me anyway.

Steam: offday
    • Options
      BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
      About Golden Eye multiplayer
      Because we would play with mines on. I would place them on body armor and med kits or on the ceiling [Like in real life no one looks up....} So people would just go playing the game without healing or body armor

• Options
      DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

They were. But last I heard the court threw it to arbitration because arbitration clauses are fucking stupid, and it's been going at the speed of legal ever since.

• Options
      Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
      Our Goldeneye game was a high noon gunfight:

Put our characters facing each other with only revolvers and tweak the aiming so we were aimed at each other's head.

Put the gun away, then put the controller down.

DRAW!

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
      Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
    • Options
      I bet I can stack more mines than you can

Resident 8bitdo expert.
    • Options
      MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
      My Goldeneye experience trained me to master the art of navigating the maps by staring completely at floor, wall, or ceiling and snapping the analog stick back and forth to peak in front of me. Screen sniping was not only a thing in our group, but agreed upon that it was totally fine. I had mastered the art of moving my character facing the ground while looking where the other 3 players were. Nobody else was at my level in that regard.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
      Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
      Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
      Steam ID
      Twitch Page
    • Options
      BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
      My Goldeneye experience was being introduced to it by my then girlfriend (now wife) on her N64. She said it was one of her two favorite games on the system and then proceeded to use me as target practice. I had no idea where she was or where I was on the map. It was hilarious once I figured out to screen snipe to figure out where she was and allowed me one or two kills. When she called me out on that I became a moving target once again.

That game is humbling after playing years of PC FPS games.
      This was about 14 years ago... I never had any friends who had a N64 when they came out.

oosik_betsuni.png
      Steam: betsuni7
    • Options
      Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
      I don't think I've ever played Goldeneye. I think we'll have to get a copy at some point.

• Options
      I don't think I've ever played Goldeneye. I think we'll have to get a copy at some point.

It's near unplayable for me nowadays. It hovers at around 15FPS in most gunfights lol

• Options
      FryFry Registered User regular
      edited September 2021
      I was introduced to Goldeneye by obnoxious neighbors in college. They played on License to Kill, Slappers Only, which.... Why?!? I guess Mario Party hadn't been invented yet?

Also, their N64 sat atop the mini fridge, and whenever the condenser kicked in, it'd cause someone's joystick to recenter, lol

Fry on
    • Options
      StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
      Goldeneye is 100% "you had to be there" thing
      it WAS that good
      Don't really bother playing it now.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
      camo_sig2.png
    • Options
      DirtyDirty Registered User regular
      Yeah, Goldeneye is one of many many games where I appreciate its historical significance in the medium, but I wouldn't play it today unless I was being paid.

• Options
      Loaded question maybe, do you think it is a requirement in an N64 collection or has it aged to poorly to bother?

• Options
      If you have nostalgia for it: sure. It's hard to say... Are you collecting N64 games just to show them off? I doubt it's very expensive to own at this point (although COVID has really jacked the prices up in a lot of things so I'm not sure).

• Options
      MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
      As part of a collection, I'd say yes it absolutely belongs. It certainly hasn't aged well though but none of the early 3d games really have

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
    • Options
      LD50LD50 Registered User regular
      Mulletude wrote: »
      As part of a collection, I'd say yes it absolutely belongs. It certainly hasn't aged well though but none of the early 3d games really have

Half Life 1 is still great.

• Options
      The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
      If I were making the ol' hypothetical N64 Classic, and didn't have to worry about the pitfall of IP management. I'd throw Goldeneye on it for sure. It absolutely deserves its recognition. But like most games on these things, you'd play it for 5 minutes before moving on and never touching it again.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    • Options
      MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
      LD50 wrote: »

I adore half life and play through it once a year and have since it launched...but it doesn't look all that great these days. I was just talking about visuals anyway really

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
    • Options

I adore half life and play through it once a year and have since it launched...but it doesn't look all that great these days. I was just talking about visuals anyway really

Yeah Goldeneye still looks N64 fine. It just runs very, very poorly. HL1 runs smooth as silk nowdays so it's still playable.

• Options
      If you have nostalgia for it: sure. It's hard to say... Are you collecting N64 games just to show them off? I doubt it's very expensive to own at this point (although COVID has really jacked the prices up in a lot of things so I'm not sure).

It's my son and he's really trying to keep a fairly curated collection on all consoles. I've always assumed Goldeneye was a must have, but if it's not going to be worth playing, I'm not sure. I'm guessing he'll want to try it, and it's not super pricey like some other games.

Until the virtual consoles, my entire N64 experience was renting one launch weekend with Mario and Pilot Wings and then choosing to buy PS1 instead so I really have a blind spot for the console.

• Options
      LD50LD50 Registered User regular

Yeah Goldeneye still looks N64 fine. It just runs very, very poorly. HL1 runs smooth as silk nowdays so it's still playable.

Yeah, I mean that you can spin up HL1 and play through it start to finish and have a good time gameplay and performance wise.

Goldeneye not so much. I would argue that even if it performed well the gameplay wouldn't hold up.

• Options
      IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
      Golden Eye even felt bad to play when it came out, but it was the best option at the time.

• Options
      EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
      Hmm. An N64 classic.

Well, Mario 64, Star Fox 64, Ocarina of Time, Wave Race 64, and F-Zero X are pretty obvious picks to start.

If possible, negotiating Banjo-Kazooie and Jet Force Gemini would be amazing.

• Options
      We've seen Jet Force Gemini around but haven't picked it up yet. I don't remember all the games he has at the moment, but he's got a good start - Mario 64, Mario Kart, OOT, Kirby Crystal Shards, Blast Core, Rayman, Pokemon Snap, Stadium 2, and Wave Race.

• Options
      CruorCruor Registered User regular
      Oh man, I haven't played through Jet Force Gemini in a hot minute. I should fire that up this weekend and see how far I get with just my vague memories of where everything is.

• Options
      KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
      Oh man, Jet Force Gemini. What a gem. I definitely did not expect that game to be good.

• Options
      DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
      JFG is definitely a game that I remember loving but have no idea how much of that was due to it just looking cool and being a kid where any game that looked cool was enough to make it enjoyable. I feel like that's a lot of the games I played on N64 though.