As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I'm not saying Card Games are bad but an actual action RPG would be way better. I've played many hours of Slay the Spire but I dunno... a Marvel card game just doesn't sound fun to me.

e: Yes I know MUA3 and Avengers exist in this world. I want more MUA3 and less Avengers though.

urahonky on
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Do you really want an APRG from freaking Firaxis?

Granted the first pure cinematic trailer wasn't helpful for setting expectations... but it was always out there that this was a turn-based strategy game of some stripe.

Also Guardians of the Galaxy is right around the corner, even if not running natively on Switch. I also feel like it's getting short shrift due to Avengers but it appears to be about as different as can be short of cartoon graphics.

• Options
    Literally knew nothing about the game before watching that trailer so I didn't know it was made by Firaxis. I immediately skipped to the half way part of the trailer just to see the actual gameplay so if their name is displayed anywhere I didn't see it.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    It could still be fun I guess but I'm definitely less excited by the idea now

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I feel like Marvel, in licensing all these games, is maybe underestimating the association that people have between the actors in the MCU and the characters they play?

What I mean is, comic fans are more likely already mostly fine with, say, Doctor Strange looking different from game to game, media to media, because any given artist can result in dramatically different looking characters, in different runs, on paper; so it is already a thing.

But all the people brought in via the MCU? Not-Chris Evans Cap feels like knock-off Cap. It just feels sorta cheap.

What they probably should have done, at least via some sort of short form media, if not in a game, is use all the multiverse stuff they're already doing with the MCU and just have a little transition thing for folks to see, where there's MCU characters with the characters they're using in these games, with some sort of hand-off or message that "hey, it's cool, this may not be the characters you've seen on the big screen, but it's still them!

I dunno, I'm probably over thinking it. But based on the reception of the Avengers game, maybe I'm not.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    I think GotG actually addressed this well by making Starlord look more like Cyberpunk 2077 cover guy than Chris Pratt. And it seems there's less uncanny valley for the rest of the cast since they are slathered in CGI and makeup.

Being realistic IMO is fine. The mistake is trying to look remotely at all like the actors.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I feel like Marvel, in licensing all these games, is maybe underestimating the association that people have between the actors in the MCU and the characters they play?

What I mean is, comic fans are more likely already mostly fine with, say, Doctor Strange looking different from game to game, media to media, because any given artist can result in dramatically different looking characters, in different runs, on paper; so it is already a thing.

But all the people brought in via the MCU? Not-Chris Evans Cap feels like knock-off Cap. It just feels sorta cheap.

What they probably should have done, at least via some sort of short for media, if not in a game, is use all the multiverse stuff they're already doing with the MCU and just have a little transition thing for folks to see, where there's MCU characters with the characters they're using in these games, with some sort of hand-off or message that "hey, it's cool, this may not be the characters you've seen on the big screen, but it's still them!

I dunno, I'm probably over thinking it. But based on the reception of the Avengers game, maybe I'm not.

well the avengers game has some particularly "cheap knock-off" designs. They could have distanced the characters from the actors a lot more.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    The problem with that is licensing actors appearances. That is not cheap even with low budget actors. Licensing Benedict Cumberbatch, Robert Downey Jnr, Chris Evans and Mahershala Ali? That's not going to be cheap at all.

And if they go that route, you'll have people complaining they didn't throw in Hugh Jackman, Wesley Snipes Blade, Nicholas Cage, and any other character that's had a Marvel movie, since the whole Multiverse thing is happening now.

Actor appearance licensing alone would bankrupt 2k Games if the game doesn't sell in the tens of millions.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    The positive initial reception to Guardians of the Galaxy years ago, combined with the positive reception to The Suicide Squad (the new one), tells me that people might enjoy the wackier, more creative, less established unknowns of the Marvel back catalog.

Make a game with Polka Dot Man in the lead role!

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I like the look of Midnight Suns a lot, but I wasn't expecting an XCOM game that somehow beat ideas like permadeath and such into a Marvel format. The card based combat system is interesting to me as well and frankly, if they want to do something weird I would much rather them do it with something like this than try to make card based XCOM combat.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I'm not saying Card Games are bad but an actual action RPG would be way better. I've played many hours of Slay the Spire but I dunno... a Marvel card game just doesn't sound fun to me.

e: Yes I know MUA3 and Avengers exist in this world. I want more MUA3 and less Avengers though.

I want MUA3 with real scalable difficulty. That game was bullshit.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I like the look of Midnight Suns a lot, but I wasn't expecting an XCOM game that somehow beat ideas like permadeath and such into a Marvel format. The card based combat system is interesting to me as well and frankly, if they want to do something weird I would much rather them do it with something like this than try to make card based XCOM combat.

The cards seem like an answer to the question "why doesn't X hero just use their most powerful attack every time?"

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Finished off Twewy on hard including another day. Going to skip the extras simply because I've got too much in the backlog at the moment but I'm really glad I got to return to the Twewy universe.
    Another Day Tsumugi was a pretty damn hype fight once I got my head around the insane bullet spam. Probably my favourite fight in the game.

Not really sure why so many people hate the Ayano fight. For me it was probably the easiest late game fight (original and Another Day). Though it definitely pays to pack a ranged focused pin deck, if I had tried to push through with my standard set it would have been a process. The instant kill got me once in each but was pretty easy to deal with the second time around. Actually turns out the set I threw together for Another Day Ayano worked so well that I stuck with it for the rest of Another Day.

Susukichi was a rough fight the first time round. I was pretty worried about his another day version until I realised there was no second form. Those exploding enemies were pretty bullshit though. Hide behind a car for his lightning attack and suddenly one of them rockets into you and destroys you outright.

Shiba actually went down first try. Which was a nice change from his original form. Dying to his spam attack in the second phase and having to replay all that dialogue and the Crossing section (which to be fair was really cool... The first time) was not so fun.

On that note, I did die a few times to the story boss but other then a significantly shorter intermission than the Shiba fight the dialogue didn't hold up the fighting so it made for a much cooler fight.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Finished Blaster Master Zero 3 and i am quite satisfied with the *True* ending and the absolutely nail biting difficult boss battles that proceed the true endings area. Absolutely worth the money to pick this game up if you've enjoyed the first two.

• Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

I want MUA3 with real scalable difficulty. That game was bullshit.

You know what's really funny? My 6 year old son has been playing the SHIT out of the game. Beat it on normal difficulty and got everyone to level 70.

Then got bored and restarted the game from scratch and is playing through it again. It's insane. He loves that game so much.

• Options

The cards seem like an answer to the question "why doesn't X hero just use their most powerful attack every time?"

Mana has existed too lol

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular

That reminds me of watching Voltron in the 80s. Every episode they would fuck around with individual lions for no good reason, then they'd form Voltron, but still save the blazing sword thing for the end. Why not form Voltron and whip out the sword right away? (I know the real reason, of course. But kid me wanted better in-universe excuses.)

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo's releasing a new Big Brain Academy game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqdFAn2T2UI

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Not really. Cooldowns and mana exist. I absolutely hate card games. Nothing turns me off more than basing a system around luck. It's a shame, cause I was very interested in Xmen Xcom, but now I have negative interest in this.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Not really. Cooldowns and mana exist. I absolutely hate card games. Nothing turns me off more than basing a system around luck. It's a shame, cause I was very interested in Xmen Xcom, but now I have negative interest in this.

At least with cards, you can look at your hand and know where you stand. In XCOM XCOM, you run your guy over, miss your 95% shot, and that's XCOM, baby.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    While I probably won't be getting the new Marvel game, I will hold off any judgement until I see how the game actually plays. I've played a lot of Slay the Spire and similar games to know not to write them off too early.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Fry wrote: »

At least with cards, you can look at your hand and know where you stand. In XCOM XCOM, you run your guy over, miss your 95% shot, and that's XCOM, baby.

Yeah I think I'd probably prefer cards over Xcom "90% chance to hit annnnd miss".

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    That's why I appreciated Mario + Rabbids' 0%, 50%, 100% system. Win condition, block condition, gamble condition. Takes a lot of the sting out of missing when you only had a 50% chance.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    That's why I appreciated Mario + Rabbids' 0%, 50%, 100% system. Win condition, block condition, gamble condition. Takes a lot of the sting out of missing when you only had a 50% chance.

M+R was awesome. I agree 95%.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »

That reminds me of watching Voltron in the 80s. Every episode they would fuck around with individual lions for no good reason, then they'd form Voltron, but still save the blazing sword thing for the end. Why not form Voltron and whip out the sword right away? (I know the real reason, of course. But kid me wanted better in-universe excuses.)

Huh... That never crossed my mind as a Kid watching that, Robotech, Starblazers, and Battle Fever J back then. It was just natural for the good guys to fight with one arm tied behind their backs and blindfolded till they felt it was time to end the episode fight. Now that you mention it, I have to watch everything again and laugh at how silly it is. Imagining all the old cartoons and shows ending as quickly as the battle in Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Now I need to go and watch those speed runs of Breath of the Wild where they use the glitches to finish it with only 3 hearts.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular

M+R was awesome. I agree 95%.

I'm sorry your only options are 0%, 50% or 100%

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »

That was ALSO bullshit. In fact, it may have been worse, since it was actively lying to you.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    The problem with that is licensing actors appearances. That is not cheap even with low budget actors. Licensing Benedict Cumberbatch, Robert Downey Jnr, Chris Evans and Mahershala Ali? That's not going to be cheap at all.

And if they go that route, you'll have people complaining they didn't throw in Hugh Jackman, Wesley Snipes Blade, Nicholas Cage, and any other character that's had a Marvel movie, since the whole Multiverse thing is happening now.

Actor appearance licensing alone would bankrupt 2k Games if the game doesn't sell in the tens of millions.

that's my point though. don't bother paying for likeness and make the characters look like their many appearances in the last 50 years.
    they COULD have made the avengers look a lot better AND less like the actors.
    they chose the worst option, cheap knock-off "brazilian crazy bus" dancing people.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options

that's my point though. don't bother paying for likeness and make the characters look like their many appearances in the last 50 years.
    they chose the worst option, cheap knock-off "brazilian crazy bus" dancing people.

Iron Man having his visor up when he's in his suit always annoyed me. I know they did it in the movies because of RDJ.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Iron Man having his visor up when he's in his suit always annoyed me. I know they did it in the movies because of RDJ.

Well, that and it's easier to connect to the character. Remember the Green Goblin in the original Spider-Man movie?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

Well, that and it's easier to connect to the character. Remember the Green Goblin in the original Spider-Man movie?

Yeah.

He was cooler with the helmet on.

• Options
    I don't need to see his human face to connect with him. He looks dope as fuck with the suit on.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    Betsuni wrote: »

Huh... That never crossed my mind as a Kid watching that, Robotech, Starblazers, and Battle Fever J back then. It was just natural for the good guys to fight with one arm tied behind their backs and blindfolded till they felt it was time to end the episode fight. Now that you mention it, I have to watch everything again and laugh at how silly it is. Imagining all the old cartoons and shows ending as quickly as the battle in Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Now I need to go and watch those speed runs of Breath of the Wild where they use the glitches to finish it with only 3 hearts.

Robotech wasn't like that, I don't think star blazers was either. They instead had actual plot contrivances preventing them from using the I-Win big guns, generally. Or they did use them but they caused Complications.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

While they could give everyone mana, I bet plenty of purists would be upset because "only Dr. Strange is a spellcaster robble robble Blade should be able to use all his abilities as much as he wants." Making it a card system lets you unify powers in a way that has a longstanding social understanding of it being an abstraction.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited September 2021

Enter Super Robot Wars to flip the entire dynamic around. You typically open with your strongest attack and the weaker attacks are the finishers to save energy/ammo on low health targets.

(Incidentally Voltron/GoLion was also in SRW but its only appearance was SRW W)

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular

Robotech wasn't like that, I don't think star blazers was either. They instead had actual plot contrivances preventing them from using the I-Win big guns, generally. Or they did use them but they caused Complications.

That's part of what I love about Fist of the North Star, "Hokuto Hundred Crack Fist" straight away, blow their fucking head off straight away!

After giving them a chance to just give up, of course.

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular

I honestly can't remember what the reasoning was behind the limitations, but you might be right they did make something up. Been a while since I watched them.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    The Macross cannon used a tremendous amount of energy and they didn't have allies or a support system to get safely filled back up. Their attack ship was also their home and the home of all their families, so being very careful just makes sense.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Nintendo's releasing a new Big Brain Academy game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqdFAn2T2UI

Well that is a cool surprise. Wasn't the last Big Brain Academy for the Wii? Nice and easy game to slip into the holiday slot along with Advanced Wars. Gives a couple of great options for people to grab as gifts.

The original on the Wii and DS were both very charming and fun.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    I was gonna say I guess Dr. Kawashima doesn't want to lend his likeness to Brain Training anymore, except then I found out it was released on the Switch in Japan and Europe only!