As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Catastrophic shipping accident in Maryland

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Local FedEx is backed up several weeks in unloading trailers so they had to ship me a CPAP mask piece overnight air from California...

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    FedEx Ground is an absolute shit show right now and I recommend no one use it. We are down 50,000 people nationwide.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Yeah it's wild

I had to call the local station to even figure out what was going on because the 800 number told me it would just be a couple days twice

The local station person said naw a few weeks at least

And like you'd figure my medical supply company would maybe stop using FedEx?

Boy I hope international shipping doesn't completely collapse any time soon. Considering I need precision manufactured plastic medical equipment monthly to you know... Breath while I sleep?

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2021
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    FedEx Ground is an absolute shit show right now and I recommend no one use it. We are down 50,000 people nationwide.

Boy, this would sure be an opportune moment to dump a ton of money into supporting a federal postal system that mandates affordable service to awkward and expensive communities and increase the wages on a ton of good pensioned jobs and let it just completely eat the lunch of the private shipping companies for a couple of decades.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I would like to subscribe to your zine

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/f4FuOi9rvKw

In other news of the day

Really starting to notice the fuck ups in international logistics down here in the south seas now.

Really random stuff is just totally out of stock

A4 ring-bound folders. Self-raising flour. light globes. Washing machines.

• Options
    Haha damn it, took me a second

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I clicked the new thread title immediately because I'm part of the problem.

Also yeah if I have a package coming by fed ex these days I expect it to be a week or two late. UPS has always been great here though. Also they have pensioner workers with good pay/benefits. Go figure.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    UPS does pay pretty well, it's true.

sig.gif
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    I clicked the new thread title immediately because I'm part of the problem.

same, except i still DON'T BELIEVE

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    As a particularly gullible person I feel attacked by Tef's assumption that I won't believe.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    oh it's this thread

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    UPS does pay pretty well, it's true.

I miss UPS

Fantastic gimmick account

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    astrobstrd wrote: »

Boy, this would sure be an opportune moment to dump a ton of money into supporting a federal postal system that mandates affordable service to awkward and expensive communities and increase the wages on a ton of good pensioned jobs and let it just completely eat the lunch of the private shipping companies for a couple of decades.

It's such an easy win for the Democrats

Of course they won't do it

I'm a bit surprised they aren't doing the performative part at least though

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    DeJoy still currently runs the Postal Service with the intent to destroy it, so throwing money at it won't do anything until he's been thrown out on his ass

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Man I opened the news and regretted it instantly

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Well presumably if they were going to fund it more, ol' Joe would get off his butt and fill the vacancies on the Governors' Board so LeJoy could actually be ejected.

The fact that he hasn't done that very simple thing is really all we need to know about their actual intents for the USPS. Which sucks, because the USPS is a great institution staffed by hard working people.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    Well presumably if they were going to fund it more, ol' Joe would get off his butt and fill the vacancies on the Governors' Board so LeJoy could actually be ejected.

The fact that he hasn't done that very simple thing is really all we need to know about their actual intents for the USPS. Which sucks, because the USPS is a great institution staffed by hard working people.

Okay, so we all know that the reason the USPS runs in the red is because they're required to pour billions into pre-funding retirement stuff for employees who haven't even started working there yet, right? Something like 70 years paid up-front.

Here's the wild thing that I didn't know until recently: Congress just takes that money the USPS is required to set aside and spends it on whatever they feel like.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Oh yeah that bill was entirely about looting USPS to fund shit on the downlow, our government's corrupt as fuck.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    Oh yeah that bill was entirely about looting USPS to fund shit on the downlow, our government's corrupt as fuck.

Well no, the bill was about killing the USPS. They were perfectly fine with spending money on bullshit, whether they had it or not

• Options
    It can be both things!

• Options
    Ha! who says the legislature can’t be efficient?

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    That's what my Cities Skylines docks usually look like. They need to build a big zigzag filter road to stop the trucks blocking up local traffic.

• Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    it turns out that, among other things, that ship getting stuck in the canal was Bad, actually.

• Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

Lucedes wrote: »
    it turns out that, among other things, that ship getting stuck in the canal was Bad, actually.

Sounds like somebody hasn't become the Joker...

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Thread title got me again

The promise of tickled balls remains unfulfilled

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote: »

that looks less busy and more like our ports can't handle normal traffic

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Idk anything about ports. Is this not enough port or not enough port workers? Both? Are people buying an unusual amount of shit this year or is it all backlog from the big boat being stuck?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    According to What A Day this morning, Biden just ordered the ports to run 24/7, and has asked private businesses to step up and keep logistics moving. There's a ton of bottlenecks -- offloading on the ports, shipping out to warehouses across the country, last mile distribution... and the pandemic has made everything worse by reducing the labor force (and driving up costs without an increase in pay across the board). Factories have closed down, and therefore have no need of the parts they ordered a while back and need to get spun up. And then there's containers themselves - There's nothing to ship in them back to Asia, so they are all just stacking up here...

It's a mess.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    There are big problems at docks with covid, and people catching covid and not being able t berth.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    According to What A Day this morning, Biden just ordered the ports to run 24/7, and has asked private businesses to step up and keep logistics moving. There's a ton of bottlenecks -- offloading on the ports, shipping out to warehouses across the country, last mile distribution... and the pandemic has made everything worse by reducing the labor force (and driving up costs without an increase in pay across the board). Factories have closed down, and therefore have no need of the parts they ordered a while back and need to get spun up. And then there's containers themselves - There's nothing to ship in them back to Asia, so they are all just stacking up here...

It's a mess.

Labor force is only down because people are no longer willing to work for a pittance just to enrich those at the top.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »

It's a mess.

Labor force is only down because people are no longer willing to work for a pittance just to enrich those at the top.

Well that and the hundreds of thousands of deaths, but I fully believe both were preventable. I'm with you - we should all be making more money and the rich should stop making Smaug go "Man, you're a hoarder!"

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Yeah there isn’t a single point of failure, it’s a multiple cascading fuckup because the need for unceasing economic growth forced us to both take shortcuts with risk and believe that being half-pregnant with a pandemic response was the way to go

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    From what I know about ports, most of the delays are caused because they try to dock the ship, then have to back it out and try again because they had it in the wrong way, and then back it out again because it turns out they had it the right way the first time.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Took me a moment

• Options
    ChallChall Registered User regular
    From what I know about ports, most of the delays are caused because they try to dock the ship, then have to back it out and try again because they had it in the wrong way, and then back it out again because it turns out they had it the right way the first time.

But these boats are Type Sea so they should work in either orientation.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Chall wrote: »

But these boats are Type Sea so they should work in either orientation.

No, you're thinking of buses.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    is the big boat stuck again yet?

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    is the big boat stuck again yet?

No but many smaller boats are stuck so in a way the big boat is metaphorically stuck in a canal