As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's no secret that this is the old job thread

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    And so you told them that it was a taco, right?

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »

I did actually.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    FF wrote: »
    Nosy coworker at it again, and this time he got help for his snooping. There is apparently a report set to auto generate that lists every work order I reject, and only mine which I'll get to it a moment, and emails said report weekly to various people including him, my supervisor, head of IT (?), and me. I've never seen the report until now because it comes from the same email that I have set to redirect into a folder because it generates an email every time anyone does anything on the system and would flood my inbox otherwise.

Anyway, I mentioned how I know it's only catching my rejections. I know this because I had a look at the report and it's keyed to the specific stock phrase I use for this type of rejections. Any time a rejection has that phrase it logs it in the report. The report was very clearly written by the IT head at the behest of my coworker, because there's two tasks related to who it gets sent to. On one my supervisor and myself are included, but on the first one it only goes to coworker and IT head. And I know coworker doesn't know jack shit about creating a report.

Lucky for me though that IT head isn't much better at things. Because he set up that report to catch that very specific phrase I use. So if I were to, say, change the wording a little bit then the report no longer catches anything. It's still plenty easy to see what I've rejected and why, but if my supervisor wants that information she'd ask for it. So this fucker can say goodbye to his shoddy spying because I'm going to be watching the auto reports and if they try changing to my new phrase I'll switch it up again as many times as I need. Let's see how long I can keep them on the hook. They might not notice at first, there's rarely much I reject.

That you're not calling him out publicly, and loudly, is commendable. But dang, I'd be yelling if I found out my coworker got the head of IT to write a report that only keeps tabs on me.

If I felt it would solve anything I would be doing so, but I already know that the status quo is the way to go around here. We've had people who actively rejected their supervisor's instructions stick around by dint of being here so long nobody bothered to try and get rid of them until they did something actually illegal. Once my probation is up in February though I've been given no reason to stick around this place any longer than I need to.

I'd still consider bringing this up to HR and/or supervisor just to establish the paper trail of this history of harassment. That the head of IT is writing snooping reports for non-supervisors should also raise an eyebrow or two.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »

I did actually.

How long did it take facilities to clean up the brain chunks from his 100%, completely blown-ass mind

?

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    One of us jumping in with either “Is a hot dog a sandwich” or “are Jedis wizards or sorcerers” is my team’s shorthand for interrupting and shutting down a stupid work argument that isn’t going anywhere.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    One of us jumping in with either “Is a hot dog a sandwich” or “are Jedis wizards or sorcerers” is my team’s shorthand for interrupting and shutting down a stupid work argument that isn’t going anywhere.

Sorcerers clearly. They don't prepare spells, this is obvious

get with the program minor incident!

• Options
    A lightsaber is basically a re-usable spell that a Jedi has to prepare, though.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    no it's not it's a Staff

or a Rod possibly

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Nosy coworker at it again, and this time he got help for his snooping. There is apparently a report set to auto generate that lists every work order I reject, and only mine which I'll get to it a moment, and emails said report weekly to various people including him, my supervisor, head of IT (?), and me. I've never seen the report until now because it comes from the same email that I have set to redirect into a folder because it generates an email every time anyone does anything on the system and would flood my inbox otherwise.

Anyway, I mentioned how I know it's only catching my rejections. I know this because I had a look at the report and it's keyed to the specific stock phrase I use for this type of rejections. Any time a rejection has that phrase it logs it in the report. The report was very clearly written by the IT head at the behest of my coworker, because there's two tasks related to who it gets sent to. On one my supervisor and myself are included, but on the first one it only goes to coworker and IT head. And I know coworker doesn't know jack shit about creating a report.

Lucky for me though that IT head isn't much better at things. Because he set up that report to catch that very specific phrase I use. So if I were to, say, change the wording a little bit then the report no longer catches anything. It's still plenty easy to see what I've rejected and why, but if my supervisor wants that information she'd ask for it. So this fucker can say goodbye to his shoddy spying because I'm going to be watching the auto reports and if they try changing to my new phrase I'll switch it up again as many times as I need. Let's see how long I can keep them on the hook. They might not notice at first, there's rarely much I reject.

That you're not calling him out publicly, and loudly, is commendable. But dang, I'd be yelling if I found out my coworker got the head of IT to write a report that only keeps tabs on me.

If I felt it would solve anything I would be doing so, but I already know that the status quo is the way to go around here. We've had people who actively rejected their supervisor's instructions stick around by dint of being here so long nobody bothered to try and get rid of them until they did something actually illegal. Once my probation is up in February though I've been given no reason to stick around this place any longer than I need to.

I'd still consider bringing this up to HR and/or supervisor just to establish the paper trail of this history of harassment. That the head of IT is writing snooping reports for non-supervisors should also raise an eyebrow or two.

Yeah, I mean, if you have concrete plans to bail in February then it may be less of a concern, but if there are chances you'll be around later, or that he's trying to establish some way to get you fucked over while still on probation, HR is the way to go to at least get it on record (while also getting it on record you went to them, and the times you spoke to the supervisor, just in case this guy actually escalates even further and tries to rope in more staff; make sure you have timestamped emails forwarded to a personal account, have a logbook if possible, etc)

A performance review isn't really enough to resolve this kind of weird and direct harassment, your supervisor should be confronting this further especially if the harasser is outsourcing to other resources in this weird as hell campaign; they should have met with them multiple times by now, yeesh

May also be worth looking in your file to see when the reports started getting monitored so you can tie that to a timeline and see if it was anywhere close to the last talking-to

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited October 2021

Ah, there's actually another thing about this coworker that further deepens the mystery. At one point they were a supervisor, or more specifically Chief of Plant Operations III. The Big Boss of the entire department. And he's been here so long that many of the people starting to retire now worked under him during that time. I have no idea when he held the position though, it was way before I ever arrived. By the time I got here he was already in his current spot.

However, I have yet to learn why someone who was the head of the entire department is now a Staff Services Analyst. That's not just a demotion, it's a Getting Over It With Bennett Foddy clip where the streamer is almost to the goal line and through a comedy of errors falls nearly back to start. It's not just going down the career ladder but side-chaining over several other ladders in the process just to keep sliding down. Whether it was a punishment, a willing descent, or something else is entirely unknown to me. It's not a scenario that should ever really happen in state service. We go up the career ladders until we're satisfied and only under the most unusual circumstances, or official punishment, are we pushed back down or forced off entirely.

You all do have a point about talking with my supervisor though. I'm loathe to confrontation under most circumstances, hence why I was willing to just ruin their report in a plausibly deniable way, but yeah I should at the very least find out if they're the ones who asked for the report to be generated or not and move from there.

Madican on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2021
    ^^ yeah definitely establish a paper trail for "hey something weird is going on", at least
    Obviously we don't know this guys history but it sounds like the sort of thing that might happen if someone has a serious psychotic break or mental health issue that severely impact their work.

also I spent ~8 hours today trying frantically to debug an issue that I thought was my fault but turns out was coming another piece of software entirely, one I don't have access to and can't fix, so if you'll excuse me I'm gonna go boil my head in hot lemonade for a while.

edit: if anyone is wondering yes this is karma poking me in the kidneys for my previous post. How dare I think that today might actually turn out to be kind of light.

tynic on
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Currently my press is running a rotating schedule of Monday-Thursday one week, then Monday-Wednesday the next. This is temporary since we're so short on staff, and we all know this. Despite this, we are still about three months ahead on production, to the point where finished product for our customers is languishing in a warehouse across town for weeks on end because we have nowhere on site to store it.

So, secure in the knowledge that we would be on this schedule until at least the end of the year, we all booked our vacations accordingly. Mine happens to line up with the launch of the new FFXIV expansion, but there's also family stuff I want to do, a trip I want to take, and my scheduled 11 days off work at the end of November is the first real vacation I've had all year.

Now, however, management is suddenly very desperate to get my press running back on a 24/7 schedule, which involves hiring and training a second night shift. Two people from day shift are coming to nights November 1st, and there's been rumblings that we might rush and get a second night shift started by the second week of November. This would mean I get moved to a different shift rotation with different days off and the vacation I put in for three months ago is gone up in smoke. When these concerns were raised, we were basically given the boilerplate "Well this is what we need to do to meet business demands, etc. etc." and to basically suck it up.

If this goes through like we're fearing, I think that's it for me. I don't have too many Thanksgivings left with my parents, and being robbed of my hard earned time off would be the last straw.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Well the ux manager who was on vacation my first week just quit after that vacation, which a I respect, but b the new ux manager really needs to approve my timecard

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    A lightsaber is basically a re-usable spell that a Jedi has to prepare, though.

Depends on what era in da lore {I have no idea if the hyperspace war and such are even cannon even more}
    In the rpgs in the west ends one when you had to play the tales of the jedi era [sadly the sessions of this made me dislike the whole idea of the jedi because of two people in that group} you had to ignite which was a action because the sabers were still wired to batteries most were as over the course of this series of wars lightsabers became the compact thing we know of

In the d20 era one I vaguely know and in the FF era I have no idea

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    7lexvwsbm1ov.gif

it's a Rod

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    In one of the Star Wars Visions episodes the light sabers change colors based on the general disposition of the wielder, so when you're evil it's red, if you're relaxed it's blue... So light sabers are mood crystals, is what I'm saying.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Leeroy Jenkins yelling around the corner from us

• Options
    CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    Job thread I'm pretty sure I botched the interview for the position I really want yesterday. It was my first interview for a couple of years, the rest of the day building up to the interview wasn't restful and I'm just sat here replaying some of the questions they asked over and over in my head thinking how I could have done better.

In past times it would have stung for a bit and then I'd move on, but I have a young family and a mortgage now and the extra money would really have gone a long way towards calming my general anxiety about being the breadwinner.

Oh fuck I got it! They tried to call me last night but I had switched off already. I feel physically sick ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

She said you were very comprehensive with your answers and I was like no actually I was a rambling idiot

I may actually cry, its been a hard 18 months

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Job thread I'm pretty sure I botched the interview for the position I really want yesterday. It was my first interview for a couple of years, the rest of the day building up to the interview wasn't restful and I'm just sat here replaying some of the questions they asked over and over in my head thinking how I could have done better.

In past times it would have stung for a bit and then I'd move on, but I have a young family and a mortgage now and the extra money would really have gone a long way towards calming my general anxiety about being the breadwinner.

Oh fuck I got it! They tried to call me last night but I had switched off already. I feel physically sick ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

She said you were very comprehensive with your answers and I was like no actually I was a rambling idiot

They were very comprehensive rambling answers.

Congrats!

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Since I’m up:

Quiet week this week, so started tagging tests in our automated suite, to indicate they’re smoke tests. The idea is that eventually we’ll run only these critical path tests every time someone commits new code, and run everything else overnight.

We have an excel doc of tests that got mapped into the automated suite, so this should just mean going through the existing tests, matching them back to the sheet, and writing @smoke on the ones that are in both.

It turns out this takes ages. Because finding matching tests in the repo and the sheet 12 months later is sometimes awkward.

But also it turns out this takes even longer because some of the things marked as automated have…not been done, this entire time, which is a problem.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Jedis are obvs monks who dipped into sorcery for a few levels.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

Being able to ramble at length about a subject demonstrates a reasonable amount of expertise. Only masters can give simple answers, but often don't because rambling is fun.

• Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

Soulblade warlocks or spellblades depending on the edition.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

Soulblade warlocks or spellblades depending on the edition.

Warlock makes a lot sense when you consider all the background lore. You're giving up everything and dedicating your life to a supernatural concept.

You could argue it a lot of ways, and monk always feels right, but warlock really can work.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Probably should do some work at some point today but mehhhhhhhhhhh

• Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Manager finds a positive lateral flow test on the counter in the kitchen.

After tracking down its owner the guy who's done the tests argues that the two lines means it's negative and that's how all the tests he's done this week have been.

He's eventually forced to go home to get a PCR test (after found some photocopying and going to the main toilets in the building several times).

He's tested positive.....

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    @tynic and other electronics people - any recommended soldering iron? Going to try to build a keyboard with my son.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Manager finds a positive lateral flow test on the counter in the kitchen.

After tracking down its owner the guy who's done the tests argues that the two lines means it's negative and that's how all the tests he's done this week have been.

He's eventually forced to go home to get a PCR test (after found some photocopying and going to the main toilets in the building several times).

He's tested positive.....

That would be hilarious if it weren't so sad. Geez. Glad your manager took it seriously at least

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    The job market in my area is getting really out of hand now. Even Unionized factories are putting out billboards for new hires.

Which means, the owner of my fast food place has finally seen the light and has...

increased our food discount...

Back to what it was before he took over.

No surprise, people are not pounding on the door to get hired here.

• Options
    schuss wrote: »
    @tynic and other electronics people - any recommended soldering iron? Going to try to build a keyboard with my son.

If you don’t wanna blow $200+ just get the nicest Weller that’s in your budget. The WLC100 is a decent one for under $50 that you can find pretty much anywhere. Solid option for a hobbyist or beginner.

If you want a cordless one, the BL60MP is under $100 and it’s pretty nice, and has been invaluable doing stuff in the car for me.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I had moved my desk away from the wall due to a water leak of some sort after a heavy rainstorm the other month. I had assurances that the plumbers had looked at it and fixed it, but I still moved to the desk next to mine (empty currently, and hopefully empty for the near future) and kept my desk away from the leak area.
    Big rainstorm yesterday, and the floor is dry. So I've moved my desk back, and moved everything back to my desk.
    I feel like I may have jinxed myself, but hopefully everything stays dry. I moved the computer tower to on top of the desk instead of under, permanently, though.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    You can find that new thread smell at https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/242308/update-your-resume-to-get-a-new-job-thread#latest

Or maybe I farted. It's hard to tell the difference.

• Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular

Ah, there's actually another thing about this coworker that further deepens the mystery. At one point they were a supervisor, or more specifically Chief of Plant Operations III. The Big Boss of the entire department. And he's been here so long that many of the people starting to retire now worked under him during that time. I have no idea when he held the position though, it was way before I ever arrived. By the time I got here he was already in his current spot.

However, I have yet to learn why someone who was the head of the entire department is now a Staff Services Analyst. That's not just a demotion, it's a Getting Over It With Bennett Foddy clip where the streamer is almost to the goal line and through a comedy of errors falls nearly back to start. It's not just going down the career ladder but side-chaining over several other ladders in the process just to keep sliding down. Whether it was a punishment, a willing descent, or something else is entirely unknown to me. It's not a scenario that should ever really happen in state service. We go up the career ladders until we're satisfied and only under the most unusual circumstances, or official punishment, are we pushed back down or forced off entirely.

You all do have a point about talking with my supervisor though. I'm loathe to confrontation under most circumstances, hence why I was willing to just ruin their report in a plausibly deniable way, but yeah I should at the very least find out if they're the ones who asked for the report to be generated or not and move from there.

Oof, I feel that for sure. The whole situation/culture sounds uncomfortably similar. Especially if your supervisor appears to either at best not know, or worst not care. Tanking the report sounds like a good idea, if for nothing else than showing them you're aware of the fuckery. Sounds like this guy isn't able to accept his position after having had "power".

If you're definitely able to leave once your probation is up that's great. To be honest, if I was in your position I'd probably ride it out too (while also doing what I can to establish a paper trail) and then drop it on HR on my way out, and citing it as why I was leaving. But you know your place better than I can, of course.

Huh...
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I'm kind of not wanting to go to work today? We just finished a big order yesterday and now work feels, empty. Literally, as nearly everything went out the door yesterday.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Filing this under "academic venting"
    Yesterday (specifically last night due to time zones) I had a paper published. I am more proud of the work I did in this paper than anything else I've contributed to as a scientist. Today I opened up the PDF to have a look through it and find that they've completely mangled one of the two main results tables. What I sent them was fine, what they showed me in the proofing stage was fine, what they published was a mess.

I am fucking livid right now. Other scientists are going to read this and think that I don't know what I'm doing, or that I'm a careless writer, when almost all I DO is write carefully. I literally spent THREE DAYS getting these tables to look right because the journal insisted they had to be submitted as portrait format Word documents, and then they just slapped it in any old way (and landscape orientation), without ever asking me or showing me what it would look like.

At least I got a quick reply from the Editor-in-Chief when I contacted her. (I wasn't rude, but I think she could hear my teeth grinding from the other side of the planet.)

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Wait, what was published did not match the galley proofs? That is...unproductive.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I had several students today ask me if I would be grading homework while on vacation.

After school, while at a local grocery store, I had a student who refuses to properly wear their mask in my class approach me and ask me if we could have a conversation about them skipping their assigned detention today.

God I am so fucking done with work bullshit today. I'm at the airport and ready to stop checking my work email all together.

Today I truly became Mr Cooper in this scene:

https://youtu.be/qQW7lLjNBW8

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    Wait, what was published did not match the galley proofs? That is...unproductive.

If I get started I'll be writing this post for an hour so I'll leave it at this:

Academic journals, collectively, badly need to get their shit together with their submissions processes.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    I'll count myself fortunate that ACS journals have their shit together.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957