As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel TV] A Hawkeye and a Black Widow walk into a bar OPEN SPOILERS

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    My gripe with the Hulk is that basically all the other characters got their time to shine and Hulk was perpetually second fiddle or getting beat down.

He gets a brief moment in the original Avengers movie when he punches out the space dragon, but then gets laid out by some space motorcycles in the same sequence. The Hulkbuster/Hulk fight is basically a draw. He gets a chance to shine in Ragnarok... and then we see that Thor's sparkfingers put him out ahead and Hulk only wins because the fight is a cheat. Then struggles to beat a big wolf. Then gets pulled off fighting an awesome giant fire monster man so they can run off. Then Thanos flat-out embarrasses Hulk 1v1.

Yeah, it would've been super-lame if they solved every problem by dropping Hulk on it, but there definitely should've been a point where Hulk does something the others couldn't have done, leaving them all both impressed and more than a little scared.

Beyond that, I'm actually pretty happy with how much they've involved Banner as much of the best Hulk stuff has actually come from Banner. But just one actual time with the actual Savage Hulk tearing some alien army to shreds and everybody else showing up to see a battlefield of body parts and carnage would've been nice to actually cement him as a real, actual threat.

I feel like we got that in Endgame.

Even with his arm damaged, from a snap that fried Thanos to a greater degree (almost to his face IIRC, not just arm) and killed Stark, Hulk holds up a collapsed Avenger's base from Thanos intial orbital bombardment, saving the lives of Rocket, Rhodey, and Antman at least AND then tears holy hell through Thanos' wider forces in the background along with Giant sized Antman so a repeat of when they swarm over our heroes in the Wakanda fight doesn't happen, sorta like how when that Xmen fight scene was shared, there is just so much going on in the background and its EPIC.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Also that wasn't just some big wolf Hulk was fighting! That's Fenris, and he's like the god of wolves. Fenris kills Odin during the battle at the end of the world!

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Also it was undead.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Lanz wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Now I really, really want them to do 90s Spider-man too. They just left MJ floating in the middle of, I dunno, the mirror dimension? They seriously ended that show without saving her!

Apparently Unlimited Kind of Sorta Might Be a sequel if you squint at it funny?

Via TV Tropes:

The show was not designed as a continuation of Spider-Man: The Animated Series, with the only connecting elements being a short snippet of the theme from TAS playing when Peter first appears as Spider-Man, and how Peter acquired the symbiote and Eddie Brock became Venom being more-or-less the same in both shows. However, that it was similar enough in art style and premiered a little over a year after TAS ended caused many viewers to assume it was a sequel series. While they are listed as taking place in separate universes in the official databooks, Dan Slott and Nick Lowe consider Unlimited to be a sequel to TAS, and featured the former setting in Spider-Verse.

So not planned but kind of sort of retconned by the Spider-Verse comics into being the same continuity? In which case I guess the answer is “Spider-Man saved her off screen”

Sooo, I wanted to check this out last night. Unfortunately I kinda mixed it up with Ultimate Spider-man and started watching that instead :/ I was gonna switch over once I realized but I sorta got invested so maybe after I'm done :P

Ultimate Spider-man is such a weird ass cartoon though. I can't decide if it love it or hate it or both. They break the forth wall literally more than Deadpool and it's kind of annoying. But I also kind of like the stories. But it takes some weird liberties with things.

Some thoughts in bullet form:
    • They actually got Clark Gregg to voice Agent Coulson, making this yet another 2010ish series coasting off the MCU's rise :P It's so weird to watch these cartoons that try to tie themselves into early MCU so some bits (mostly Iron Man, Hulk and Thor) are aligned to the movies but literally everything else is really different from what ended up happening :P Also Agent Coulson becomes Peter Parker's principal which is another way this show is really weird
    • Stan Lee is the janitor and is awesome
    • This show is yet again another reason I am sad Netflix ruined Iron Fist because I am really, really starting to like that character. I may have to watch that show to see how bad they butchered him, but I hope Marvel can sort of ignore the show's existence and get him into the MCU at some point. Luke Cage is also cool (though I hate the name Power Man - I have no idea if that's a thing in the comics but Luke Cage is just a cooler name :3) and also White Tiger is awesome and should be in the MCU somehow (even if she is just literally a carbon copy of Black Panther's abilities). Nova is whatever but I've seen theories that they are trying to seed him into the MCU for Young Avengers by having Thanos destroy the Nova Core in Infinity War.
    • The show actually referenced Throg which is kind of amazing
    • Somehow in this show Venom is a creature made by Doc Oc with Spidey's blood and bonds with Harry Osborn instead of Eddie Brock (who so far doesn't seem to be in the show at all). It's a really weird change. Also MJ wants to be a reporter instead of an actress and it feels weird :P
    • This is the second incarnation of Dr. Strange I've seen outside of the MCU and both are a bit ridiculous. Does he really have to yell out a paragraph of Lord of the Rings every time he wants to cast a spell? I feel like this is comic accurate but I much prefer the MCU Dr. Strange :P
    • This show had a Howard the Duck cameo before even Guardians did it and I am not sure how I feel about that :P (he looked like a brown-hat Donald Duck but I think that was supposed to be him)
    • They actually got JK Simmons to voice J. Jonah Jameson which is kind of amazing
    • Also I hate this version of Peter Parker and he looks weird to me (and I really hate flashback child Peter).
    • They let Spider-man do science stuff which is cool :3
    • At one point they namedropped Madripoor and I was happy to catch the reference thanks to Falcon & the Winter Soldier :3

It's still very weird to me going to some of these older cartoons where they can literally just use any Marvel property without having to worry about license rights owned by other studios. Like, seeing Wolverine in an episode that has a newspaper with Deadpool's face on it. Or casual references to Galactus or the Silver Surfer. Makes me wish MCU Marvel didn't have to go through Sony to use a bunch of Spider-man stuff :/ (or previously Fox)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Howard the Duck initially looked enough like Donald Duck that Disney either sued or threatened to sue Marvel, so they made Steve Gerber (the creator) change the design, which he extremely resented. (Originally Howard didn't wear pants, like Donald)

Steve Gerber resented Marvel and what they did with Howard over the years, after he left the company, to the point that when he got a chance to do a crossover between Howard the Duck and Savage Dragon, he had the Savage Dragon issues show that the Howard that returned with the Marvel characters was actually a clone and the "real" Howard the Duck stayed with the Savage Dragon crew, under a new name of course.

Gerber probably would have hated Disney winding up owning the rights to his character, but he passed away a few years before the sale happened.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Howard the Duck initially looked enough like Donald Duck that Disney either sued or threatened to sue Marvel, so they made Steve Gerber (the creator) change the design, which he extremely resented. (Originally Howard didn't wear pants, like Donald)

Steve Gerber resented Marvel and what they did with Howard over the years, after he left the company, to the point that when he got a chance to do a crossover between Howard the Duck and Savage Dragon, he had the Savage Dragon issues show that the Howard that returned with the Marvel characters was actually a clone and the "real" Howard the Duck stayed with the Savage Dragon crew, under a new name of course.

Gerber probably would have hated Disney winding up owning the rights to his character, but he passed away a few years before the sale happened.

Ah this makes a lot of sense. Because yeah, he looked almost exactly like Donald but with a brown uniform and hat and maybe a slightly yellowish color to him.

Edit: Oh wait, my bad, his clothes were blue too:
    Howard_USM_01.png

(and yeah, Google confirms that's Howard... god he was a total Donald Duck ripoff holy crap)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    All of the Howard the Duck stuff was super interesting to me as a kid. Am I right in thinking that he was linked to Spider-Ham in some way?

• Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I don't think Spider-Ham showed up until much, much later.

edit: Howard debuted in 73, Peter Porker showed up 10 years later in '83.

Nosf on
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Me and Spider-Ham, arriving the same year.

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    gdz6scykpqqq.png

I would be SERIOUSLY hard pressed to see them do multi-verse in the new Spiderman better than it was here, but I'm not sure that's even fair. Molina as Doc Ock will help. Quick side note, Doc Ock in Spiderverse was Kathryn Hahn, who you might remember just knocked it out of park as Agatha Harkness.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I don't see the new Spidey film outdoing Spiderverse either, but I'm perfectly willing to enjoy watching them try pretty hard to get it up there.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    The new trailer for that was great. I liked the Doctors confusion at him being the wrong Peter.

I really hope this does well and opens all kinds of MCU shenanigans.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    If they go full multiverse, at least one hero has to bang their gender flipped other universe self. Obviously, it was going to be Tony / Antonia, but well, dead. So who will it be?

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Nosf wrote: »
    If they go full multiverse, at least one hero has to bang their gender flipped other universe self. Obviously, it was going to be Tony / Antonia, but well, dead. So who will it be?

Uh…

I don’t know how to tell you this without spoilers, but yeah, we’ve gone there.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

Uh…

I don’t know how to tell you this without spoilers, but yeah.we’ve gone there.

Was it Johnny Storm?

I bet it was Johnny Storm.

• Options

Already on that train son.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    This is the TV thread (open spoilers) but yeah, Loki and Sylvie

Careful with Spidey stuff please

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Spider man trailer:
    I really liked that you could see the same multiverse ripping effects from Loki and What If in the trailer. It's like.. yup. Here it comes. Just seeing those purple fractals was sweet, as this is gonna be a stepping stone to even more wild shit.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Well, he actually came back to do a short-lived Howard the Duck revival in the early 00s, though the twist there is that Howard was in various non-duck bodies.

Gerber was a complicated dude.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    I don't think Spider-Ham showed up until much, much later.

edit: Howard debuted in 73, Peter Porker showed up 10 years later in '83.

Speaking of Spider-Ham, I watched a few more episodes of Ultimate Spider-man and they totally did Spider-Ham :P I am enjoying the deep cuts here :3

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    They did a spider ham short to go alongside (prequel?) for Spiderverse, I'm actually incredibly surprised they haven't bothered to turn that into a full fledged series. My kids would eat it up. I'm OOOBVIOUSLY too sophisticated to do so... but...

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Hydropolo wrote: »
    They did a spider ham short to go alongside (prequel?) for Spiderverse, I'm actually incredibly surprised they haven't bothered to turn that into a full fledged series. My kids would eat it up. I'm OOOBVIOUSLY too sophisticated to do so... but...

Maybe they'll do a Christmas Ham Special.

• Options
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Maybe they'll do a Christmas Ham Special.

That would be cool, but I think at this point Sony only has the rights to do theatrical Spidey movies. I don't think they can plop any old Spidey content onto streaming.

• Options
    edited November 2021

I could swear I saw Spider-Ham on one of the Disney+ thumbnails for old Spidey cartoon series but I might just be imagining things :P

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Hahahaha

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    Hahahaha
    Isn't that Salamanca from BCS?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    His expression.

It's like "NOT. ONE. WORD."

• Options
    The Hit-Monkey show's up on Hulu, if you're interested.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    The funniest part of that image combo is like, it’s self defeating, Feige! The death glare tells me all I need to know.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    That is amazing. You can feel the "don't you fucking say anything" in Feige's stare

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    We watched the first episode of Hit Monkey last night. That's...that's a thing, is what that is. I enjoyed it. Not sure how long the novelty will keep me watching.

The hitman is really channeling Archer. The animation style feels very Archer-inspired as well. Not sure what's up with the wildly varying frame rates, though. I'm not one of those "Anything below 100fps is literally unwatchable" gamer types but the animation in Hit Monkey gets real choppy, fairly often. But then other times is super smooth. And not just during fights where you'd expect them to put the animation money.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    We watched the first episode of Hit Monkey last night. That's...that's a thing, is what that is. I enjoyed it. Not sure how long the novelty will keep me watching.

The hitman is really channeling Archer. The animation style feels very Archer-inspired as well. Not sure what's up with the wildly varying frame rates, though. I'm not one of those "Anything below 100fps is literally unwatchable" gamer types but the animation in Hit Monkey gets real choppy, fairly often. But then other times is super smooth. And not just during fights where you'd expect them to put the animation money.

The Archer channeling is, I'm pretty sure, intentional. I think the same studio that makes Archer makes this show, which makes sense since visually, it seems to be another step forward for the style Archer uses.

I'm definitely appreciating the gimmick as I get into further episodes myself, there's a good mix of "is that a monkey?" and "oh shit, it is a monkey?" And having not-Archer as the "voice" of the pair actually works out pretty well. Not to mention that this is the only time I've seen the old "only the main character can see the ghost" bit where they can't just constantly use it as an excuse for people thinking the character is crazy with repeated laziness like the main character shouting at the ghost in a crowd or something.

And there's an actual dramatic element? So the whole thing isn't just an empty farce, there are actual personal stakes for several characters.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I do like how the hitman very clearly is NOT a hitman with a heart of gold, and that the monkey is the one with a moral quandry.

• Options
    WhelkWhelk Registered User regular
    Is that Jason Sudeikis impersonating H. Jon Benjamin?

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I kinda love it every time Hit Monkey talks to animals. It's the best part of the show, actually, now that I think about it.
    "Circle of Life, asshole!" - owl
    "There's an uzi in my litterbox." -cat

• Options
    Oh right, Hawkeye's out tomorrow. Lucky the Pizza Dog says give it a watch.

hawkeye-poster-lucky-pizza-dog.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=1200&dpr=1.5

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Okay...that looks badgreat.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    I love how the intro to the show is Kate's training montage. Also, it could be worse!

-edit- Holy crap the musical was so fantastic, give me more.

chrisnl on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular
    So this show is just delightful.

"Uh guys? I can see through the mask."

This discussion has been closed.