Options

[Star Trek] Baby Targ, Doot Doo etc. (Lower Decks S2 + Prodigy S1 + Disco S4 in spoilers)

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vewx3kN_jwk&ab_channel=IGN

We're getting a Star Trek game from some former Telltale devs, apparently set post-Dominion War.

Telltale's style is perfect for Trek, so color me excited.

Oh I saw some people complaining about the obey vs disobey thing to talk up how modern star trek was just politicless military sci-fi.

I think they should probably have used a better example than one about obedience to the Admiralty. Something literally no good captain has ever given in the history of star fleet.

I feel like the trailer does not give nearly enough context to make or refute that criticism. It’s one shot that may or may not be connected to anything else in the trailer.

But, addressing the criticism itself, it doesn’t hold water. If you’re counting modern Trek as everything from the 2009 movie forward, then only Into Darkness and Discovery Season 1 are “military sci-if,” in that they focus on war or Starfleet’s martial aspect.

And, like them or not, those stories certainly aren’t apolitical.

I mean, if it stays true to its Telltale roots, it's not going to matter which branch you choose. The story is going to plow along in pretty much the same direction, with minor changes in details.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Wait, has Reno even been seen this season?
    I think she isn't going to be in the first half of Season 4, because she didn't want to fly to Toronto for filming for COVID-19 safety reasons. But she planned on being there for filming in May 2021, last I heard, so she may show up later?

Yup.

https://trekmovie.com/2021/12/08/showrunner-promises-tig-notaros-jett-reno-will-show-up-very-soon-in-star-trek-discovery-season-4/

All the info you NEED is in the URL.

But there's some pics of her in the new uniform and some additional information (she only shot for two weeks, but they apparently shot her scenes all together, so it wasn't the "one week per episode" schedule.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    As someone watching pretty much all of Star Trek in a weird order I’ll certainly concede that DS9 and TNG are more political so far than voy or disco but also like, I still desperately hate the ‘this isn’t X franchise’ thing as a critique.

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Awesome, Disco needs more Jett Reno and when she isn't on screen the other characters should say; "Where is Jett Reno at"!

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Disco is getting more political with reassembling the federation.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Again, as someone who grew up with reruns of TOS, and then with TNG et al in first run, hearing that Trek wasn't always political has just been...
    ... what show were you watching?

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Again, as someone who grew up with reruns of TOS, and then with TNG et al in first run, hearing that Trek wasn't always political has just been...
    ... what show were you watching?

I mean some of them were acting on that show and didn't even get it.
    l5l5e0uibowb.jpg

Peace to fashion police, I wear my heart
    On my sleeve, let the runway start
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    yeah, that surprises me not at all. unfortunately.

• Options
    Star Trek Adventures tomorrow. Current episode outline is:

USS Ontoss joins a fleet engagement winding down between a mostly destroyed wing of Klingon birds of prey and a dominion battleship (damaged so its a dramatic but not untenable foe for the patrol vessel).

Whether it ends in retreat or towing the last surviving Bird of Prey back for repairs they meet the leader of the squadron: a young man with a big house name behind him.

On the station the Ontoss’s captain, a Klingon, meets with an old friend he owes a debt of honour: the previous commander of that wing who was ousted politically and then reassigned far enough away to stop him simply challenging the honour of the new commander. He calls on the Captain to help give him the chance to make such a challenge.

Debate about course of action/ready room meeting/calling admiralty/Martok.

Big fight with the Ontoss tracking the highborn son’s recruitment drive for new crew to a Klingon hunting reserve where he’s relaxing during repairs. Have the son act dishonourable and cowardly while taunting he’s above the old men chasing him. One cowardly trick wounds the old commander and leaves the Captain to collect on the blood debt in a duel.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Wait, has Reno even been seen this season?
    I think she isn't going to be in the first half of Season 4, because she didn't want to fly to Toronto for filming for COVID-19 safety reasons. But she planned on being there for filming in May 2021, last I heard, so she may show up later?

She has extensive experience being added to things in post, though, so you'd think it might not be an issue...

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Who Would Win In A Fight, Spock Or Wolverine?

well you don't have to wonder

the established canon answer is Spock

Recordamos-el-extrano-crossover-entre-X-Men-y-Star-Trek.jpg

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Wolverine recovered in a few seconds and pinned Spock's hand in the second round. Xavier stopped him before he disarmed Spock at the shoulder.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Wolverine recovered in a few seconds and pinned Spock's hand in the second round. Xavier stopped him before he disarmed Spock at the shoulder.

nah spock didnt seem very concerned and proceeded to monologue
    wolv+vs+spock+2_b.jpg

• Options
    edited December 2021
    HOT TAKE mirror universe voyager with space pirate queen Janeway looks like a way better premise than regular voyager
    4b9t7jy0wb86.png
    ms4-1024x565.png

Zavian on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    The fate of Sim in Star Trek Enterprise has me question Phlox's sense of ethics.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Yah, sure, guns out Janeway, let's go

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    The fate of Sim in Star Trek Enterprise has me question Phlox's sense of ethics.

I mean

that and the genocide

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

I mean

that and the genocide

Yeah, definitely should've led with the genocide.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    I feel like the obvious but best joke would be that Mirror Universe Janeway should just be the absolute paragon of a Starfleet officer.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    At this point I have to wonder if mirror replicators narc on you to the Captain if you print anything with sleeves.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I feel like the obvious but best joke would be that Mirror Universe Janeway should just be the absolute paragon of a Starfleet officer.

I mean she is. It's just the evil starfleet.

• Options
    Gundi wrote: »

I mean she is. It's just the evil starfleet.

So you're saying she was Lorca before Lorca?

• Options
    My group's still in session but my talkative, related to a Marquis engineer is having an awkward conversation with the Bajoran helmsman about violent resistance and chefs kiss

Will do a full episode chat later.

• Options
    Violent resistance to whom? If I were the captain I feel like this would be a very important question.

• Options
    The captains a Klingon so the answer is ‘yes, violent answers’

Anyway our semi starfleet allowed klingon honour hunt ended with the senior staff/away crew confronting the cowardly patagh.

Only for the super science warrior kid to whip out drones and propose that he shall subject himself to the old klingon’s sense of honour if they can survive 24 hours in the jungle of the Klingon hunting reserve chased by his tech.

So next session I get to do the survival episode with the hunting tech being a Klingon wunderkind who compensates for his lack of physical prowess with his political name and tech prowess.

• Options
    The Most Dangerous Game, Klingon Edition.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    The Most Dangerous Game, Klingon Edition.
    I imagine Klingons are popular buyers of the latest malfunctioning holoprogram that nearly killed the Enterprise crew. Those aren't bugs, they're features.

"Pride & Prejudice? What p'takh thought this would be a worthy program for us to use?"
    "It's the pre-patch version. Slow start, but then a robot with an ancient Earth armoured war machine appears. No idea how that one made it past QA."

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    I started playing Star Trek Online and now Im glad I did because
    gpA9azg.jpg

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    Sometimes it rankles when they have literally every character end up a captain. Like Geordi. But with Nog...it's perfect.

You know what would make a banging book series? Captain Nog gets a 5-year mission and Jake tags along as a writer in residence. You could do a lot of cool stuff with their dynamic, make it Aubrey-Maturin in space.

• Options
    Sometimes it rankles when they have literally every character end up a captain. Like Geordi. But with Nog...it's perfect.

You know what would make a banging book series? Captain Nog gets a 5-year mission and Jake tags along as a writer in residence. You could do a lot of cool stuff with their dynamic, make it Aubrey-Maturin in space.

I really always hoped they would do some sort of DS9 follow-up, whether a movie or new series, anything! Kind of disappointed that it's just the games, comics and novels that pick up the creative legacy slack

Im so glad STO 'gets it' though with the original voice actors!

(I secretly want a Worf series, that has plenty of DS9 as well as TNG cameos and follow-ups)

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

now this is a great idea

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

It really is everybody, isn't it?
    I mean, even Harry Kim's a captain in STO.

• Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    man who the hell made kim captain

his poor crew. they're all dead. kim'll survive (or some version of him at least), but they're all dead.

• Options
    edited December 2021
    He's a better captain than 90% of them in STO. Manages to give Tuvok (admiral and head of Starfleet Intelligence) the business after a major intelligence failure with the Kobali that he sees through, almost toasts his career trying to prove it, everyone keeps calling him racist and then oops he was right we managed to pick the bad guys in this fight sorry about that.

They could basically cut down the show captains to him and Nog and I'd be fine. Paris is useless, LaForge is there for one episode which is weird and completely disconnected from the storyline, and everyone else has either left Starfleet (Kira, Odo, Neelix, Seven) or progressed into positions at Starfleet Command (Bashir, Tuvok).

His ship ends up in the player's task force after a certain point and despite having *really* good stats I exclusively use him for anomaly scanning on the Ferengi front.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Technically LaForge was an alternate timeline, like Beverly in All Good Things.

If you go back to TOS, most of the command crew made captain. Spock, McCoy, Scotty, Sulu. McCoy made Admiral, even.

I think Chekov and Uhura are the only ones that didn't wind up at least hitting Captain, both of them only reaching the rank of Commander on screen.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Winky wrote: »
    What are good examples of films that do that thing where you transition from subbed foreign language dialog to the viewer's language in order to establish that the characters are speaking another language but then swap it into a language that is more comfortable for the viewer?
    The Hunt For Red October maybe? It's been a while since I've seen it, though.

Not a film, but on the TV show Warrior the Chinese characters speak Cantonese or accented English whenever there's an American in the scene, but immediately transition to modern English when they're alone. I was looking it up to double-check and this article even compared it to Red October.

Anyway, I was catching up on the thread to say I finished the latest Lower Decks season right as my latest free trial ran out. Much like the first season, the last two episodes were much better than the rest. The overall quality was higher, and it didn't feel like there was nearly as many super wacky moments, or as much random screaming. Still more than I'd prefer, but I can find some enjoyment as long as they fit a couple of good references and a few solid laughs in between all the embarrassing bits.

Edit: And I'll always approve of them paying people to return as guest stars, especially the super obscure ones.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Technically LaForge was an alternate timeline, like Beverly in All Good Things.

If you go back to TOS, most of the command crew made captain. Spock, McCoy, Scotty, Sulu. McCoy made Admiral, even.

I think Chekov and Uhura are the only ones that didn't wind up at least hitting Captain, both of them only reaching the rank of Commander on screen.

Yeah, but Chekhov went on to be a P12 telepath and intimidate Tron.

Arguably better than Captain.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Every TV character ends up as Captain in supplementary media for the same reason every TV character somehow also found a novel way to win the Kobayashi-Maru scenario: hack writing.

shryke on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Everybody ending up as a Captain makes sense in that that's just the natural progression of rank.

Everybody ending up as a Captain... of their own starship starts raising some eyebrows. You wouldn't expect everybody to make that kind of career move. Like Crusher and LaForge were Medical/Engineering, not Command, so why would they suddenly be commanding a starship when they hit Captain? Hell that was a whole plot point with Worf on DS9 where he specifically changed gears to Command.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Yeah LaForge should have eventually wound up at Utopia Planetia or a starbase somewhere making sure the ships get put back together correctly.

uH3IcEi.png
This discussion has been closed.