Options

Australian & NZ Politics: Woke Sushi

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Well, NSW state election race is in. Polls closed an hour ago.

Time to see if my state lets me down again.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    You and me both Loki.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Well, NSW state election race is in. Polls closed an hour ago.

Time to see if my state lets me down again.

I don't know the Independent breakdown (5 called), but it's 43 ALP, 1 Green, needing 47, with 20 in doubt.

So Labor just need 3 with the Green, or 4 to outright, so it looks like it's unlikely to be close.

Had to update the numbers like 4 times writing this out, and will probably be redundant minutes after posting.

It's amazing how long it takes the Yanks to get it done.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    They have significantly more people. 10x more voted in 2020 than our entire population. Literally an order of magnitude.

They very much do not necessarily get that order of magnitude more staff counting.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Hahaha get rekt Liberals.

• Options
    edited March 2023
    Oh my god I'm so relieved.
    It's been so long I've been so fucking sick of these assholes in both levels of government and at the very least for the next two years no liberal is going to do some asshole neoliberal wanker brain worm plan to fuck me in either the State or Federal Governments.

IT'S BEEN SO FUCKING LONG. I NEEDED THIS HOLIDAY!

Morninglord on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Well, that’s that then.

Good job NSW. Finally

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    lol, and most importantly, lmao

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Well shit.

My electorates always been pretty blue. Lots of self funded retirees and more well off people who like the Liberals.

LNP last election held it with a 7.3% margin, and now likely have lost it.

They really fucked up.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    evilbob wrote: »

And of course Luxon is going on about how free speech needs to be protected after this.

That, that was free speech in action you goose. She had her chance! So did everyone else. Turns out we weren't fucking interested

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Every time he opens his mouth.

Every. Single. Time.

I get myself so angry over just how fucking cynical hid entire schtick is.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'm briefly allowing my brain to entertain a reality where Labour looks at the rallies last weekend and just goes "well fucking ok then!" And just goes full hard tack to their left and rewrite the hate speech laws appropriately, and actually does some good mahi towards intersectionality and inclusion.

I want this to be the wake up call that maybe, just maybe, you don't have to appeal only to the center.

I mean, I'm not holding onto any hope with that, but a little daydream doesn't hurt.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    So at this point, the entire Australian mainland is now labor, leaving the LNP with... Tasmania.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    So at this point, the entire Australian mainland is now labor, leaving the LNP with... Tasmania.

For some context on Tasmania, the Labor party political apparatus here was an absolute shambles (and still is to an extent), and the election loss was more or less their inability to get their act together rather than the LNP. Once in power, the LNP has generally been less conservative than their federal counterparts, and Peter Gutwein largely carried the party to their next election... before resigning months later. :neutral:

Polls don't look favourable to Labor getting back in by next election, sadly. We're an island, and a sparsely populated one at that, so we're never going to be a highly performing economy, but neither party seems to have much going for it in terms of actually improving the state. As such, there's a vein on political fatalism here which I don't see going away soon.

• Options
    I am so very tired of Chris Luxon and David Seymour.

Just

Fucking hell.

Context:

On Saturday past, during the Auckland rally (I believe while the counter protest was moving from Albert Park to Aotea Square), Greens Co-Leader Marama Davidson was stopped in a crosswalk to help a person who fell over. A person on a motorcycle (presumed to be part of Brian Tamaki's "Man Up" group or whatever) runs through the ped crossing and hits Marama Davidson in the back, bruising her quite badly, but luckily nothing more.

Davidson is being followed along the march by a Counterspin Media (relations with Bannon and other alt-right USA Media) reporter. The reporter asks Davidson some question and Davidson replies with (paraphrased) "the majority of violence comes from cis white men"

And now that these comments have been published, the same Cis White Men that were screaming about Posie Parker not being allowed to exercise her Free Speech are demanding that Davidson be fired for speaking.

Davidson has since pulled back a bit and clarified that violence is in every community and it's not just cis white men, and that if she hadn't been in pain and running on adrenaline and *just been hit by a fucking motorcycle*, she would have spoken differently.

PM Chris Hipkins (also a cis white male) has said that he stands behind Davidson and her clarification and thinks the matter is done.

Meanwhile, Luxon (head of the National Party/Opposition) and David Seymour (Leader of ACT and racist fuckwit) are still demanding Davidson's resignation and an apology to Cis White Men.

I am going to be so fucking tired by Election Day, y'all.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    It's the how dare you say I'm racist effect, just amplified.

Thing is? She's really not wrong, as can be seen by how many people are lashing out (the NZ subreddit, usually a safe and sane place is a shit show over this).

Heaven forfend a women point out that men, especially the most privileged men in our society are often awful (and violence isn't just physical).

• Options
    I think the biggest flaw is the use of majority instead of another context, but I can forgive it because she was just hit by a motorcycle.

I would absolutely not be surprised if it was shown that cis white men were the highest category of offenders of violence, when equating for circumstance (ie, similar social class, similar economic situation, etc).

Just because cis white men seem to tend to not get punished as often, and so their rate of assault, just on the basis of unlearned consequence, makes it higher.

• Options
    Hey Auckland Folks

and I guess other NZ folks as well.

https://nzta.mysocialpinpoint.com/awhc

Have a look at the current proposals for the Crossings at Waitemata and then go answer the Survey.

Public feedback is open until 1 May.

There are 5 scenarios being put forward for some combinations of Light Rail, Bus, Walking/Cycling, and driving for a new Harbour crossing. Combinations of new tunnels, bridges, and updates to the current Harbour Bridge are being discussed.

Each Scenario does have a brief synopsis with lots of bullet points on the differences and also a chart comparing it to the other 4 Scenarios.

• Options
    Crikey!

So, there was a by-election today in the district of Aston (eastern Melbourne), a relatively safe Liberal seat (5+pts last year, held by LNP for 43 years).

That ended today, as the Labor candidate just romped it home.
    https://www.news.com.au/national/victoria/once-safe-liberal-seat-of-aston-won-by-labor-in-2023-byelection/news-story/200206a2e187cf1553c7c9f03e977d75

Apparently the focus of the campaign was the leadership of the LNP leader, Peter "Thumb" Dutton. And it was a disaster.

Just awesome.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Crikey!

So, there was a by-election today in the district of Aston (eastern Melbourne), a relatively safe Liberal seat (5+pts last year, held by LNP for 43 years).

That ended today, as the Labor candidate just romped it home.
    https://www.news.com.au/national/victoria/once-safe-liberal-seat-of-aston-won-by-labor-in-2023-byelection/news-story/200206a2e187cf1553c7c9f03e977d75

Apparently the focus of the campaign was the leadership of the LNP leader, Peter "Thumb" Dutton. And it was a disaster.

Just awesome.

Hahahahaha. Good god it pleases me to see my fellow countrymen realize the Liberals are trash.

• Options
    Man the Liberals have just entirely shit the bed.

Fantastic. No notes.

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    I love that they are trapped....
    rest of the party can't knife him in the back because the public have had enough of that nonsense and they know it, but Dutton is so anti-charisma and his spoken views are so regressive and out of favour that they can't win with him.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Do they really care about what the public thinks? I'd say that it's more likely that there's no one in the party who wants it (at this moment).

• Options
    Sanguinius666264Sanguinius666264 Registered User regular
    It's the first time that the Government has taken a seat from the Opposition during a by-election in over a century, too. Get rekt Libs. I can but dream, but wouldn't it be amazing if this was the beginning of the end of the Coalition. Maybe the Teals can form credible opposition to a Labor-Green government. Between ScoMo and Dutton, after Abbott and the damp squib that was Turnbull, who is even left anymore that could be a half decent leader? Sussan Ley? Good grief.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Do they really care about what the public thinks? I'd say that it's more likely that there's no one in the party who wants it (at this moment).

They mostly care what Rupert Murdoch thinks.

broken image link
  • Options
    SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    Yeah for sure seems like the electorate has not really been the audience or target of the conservative faction (or "loon pond") of the Liberals for quite a while.

Good to see that finally something is coming of that.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
  • Options
    All kinds of exciting happenings.

Labour has had a party member defect and join Te Pati Maori.

PM Hipkins took National Leader Chris Luxon with him to the Coronation this weekend.

Oh and there's been at least one case of Measles in the country that has closed down one high school.

• Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/493596/hipkins-rules-out-capital-gains-tax-wealth-tax-if-labour-re-elected

Gutless. Ardern ruling out CGT before the last election was my biggest frustration with her tenure as Labour leader. And here we are - after an insane house pricing bubble largely fuelled by property being seen primarily as an investment opportunity - with Labour STILL unwilling to take any action because it might upset the centrists. Just pathetic.

• Options
    so fucking frustrating.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    If the writing's on the wall for Labour, go for broke. Why do nothing?

I get it though. It feels very safe in a groupthink kind of way, especially as it "worked" before with Ardern (promised no CGT, Labour got a majority and one of their most successful elections ever). Or maybe I should just fully embrace the tinfoil hattery and assume that Mr Monopoly is on the phone to the PM.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    exis wrote: »
    https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political/493596/hipkins-rules-out-capital-gains-tax-wealth-tax-if-labour-re-elected

Gutless. Ardern ruling out CGT before the last election was my biggest frustration with her tenure as Labour leader. And here we are - after an insane house pricing bubble largely fuelled by property being seen primarily as an investment opportunity - with Labour STILL unwilling to take any action because it might upset the centrists. Just pathetic.

I was pondering digging this thread up and posting the same. It's insane. Wellington CBD has a bunch of sitting empty buildings, just land banking - some of which has been there for years.

Hell, I know Newtown has some too. Even in Hataitai there's some sitting empty land that's theoretically being developed - but it's been in that state for years (it used to be a dairy and Chinese takeout before COVID).

• Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    If the writing's on the wall for Labour, go for broke. Why do nothing?

I get it though. It feels very safe in a groupthink kind of way, especially as it "worked" before with Ardern (promised no CGT, Labour got a majority and one of their most successful elections ever). Or maybe I should just fully embrace the tinfoil hattery and assume that Mr Monopoly is on the phone to the PM.

How much of it is retirees and how much of it is foreign investment?

I think it's a policy that needs to be implemented, but I can see a political party second guessing on "We're gonna fuck with your retirement plans".

Even if it actually doesn't (sell the properties, put it into other sources of investment), a lot of people take exception to being asked to part with a dollar, even if they get that dollar back in other ways.

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    exis wrote: »

I was pondering digging this thread up and posting the same. It's insane. Wellington CBD has a bunch of sitting empty buildings, just land banking - some of which has been there for years.

Hell, I know Newtown has some too. Even in Hataitai there's some sitting empty land that's theoretically being developed - but it's been in that state for years (it used to be a dairy and Chinese takeout before COVID).

It's even more frustrating when you consider the consequences of viewing property as the main investment vehicle in the country - because it's treated so preferentially, doing something like investing in a business - even you own- is not only higher risk, it's usually lower return as well. So you end up with a whole mess of incentives, all funneling money to non productive assets.

Frustrating as hell to just concede the ground, because you can at least try reframe the problem in terms of productivity and business friendliness, and force National/ Act to defend a massive market distortion caused in part by historical government action that's resulted in these outcomes.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Near where I work in Auckland there's a bunch of buildings that are the same. Sitting empty for years

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    Coming out of Britomart this morning was somewhat surreal - what seemed like every police officer in Auckland, running AOS officers in full gear, and a lot of confusion as to what on earth was going on.

Here's hoping the injured all pull through, but current news is three dead, including the shooter.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    Can't wait for this tragedy to be immediately politicized.

• Options
    Antoshka wrote: »
    Coming out of Britomart this morning was somewhat surreal - what seemed like every police officer in Auckland, running AOS officers in full gear, and a lot of confusion as to what on earth was going on.

Here's hoping the injured all pull through, but current news is three dead, including the shooter.

I'm glad you're ok.

And yeah, so not looking forward to certain human thumbs talking about this.