Options

Australian & NZ Politics: Woke Sushi

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Antoshka wrote: »
    Coming out of Britomart this morning was somewhat surreal - what seemed like every police officer in Auckland, running AOS officers in full gear, and a lot of confusion as to what on earth was going on.

Here's hoping the injured all pull through, but current news is three dead, including the shooter.

I'm glad you're ok.

And yeah, so not looking forward to certain human thumbs talking about this.

Luxon's already praising the heros and the media's giving him full attnetion and just *sigh*. Fucker your parties polcieis are a big part of why things are like this.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    In a completely unsurprising turn of events, of course the shooter has domestic violence charges. Always the same thing. Always.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Sky news talking heads demanding labour announce their tough on crime policy

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    I am concerned that The Voice vote is not going to pass. The Yes campaign seems pretty subdued, and the No vote has the whole right wing hate machine behind it, with so much blatant lies about what it even is.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'm so very gutted for Kiritapu Allen.

Labour just feels like they're falling apart at the seams and it has me more worried than i want to be.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    I am concerned that The Voice vote is not going to pass. The Yes campaign seems pretty subdued, and the No vote has the whole right wing hate machine behind it, with so much blatant lies about what it even is.

I think one of the greatest problems there was that the debate was allowed to go on and on and on. Yes started with overwhelming support and has, over time, just cratered for various reasons. Mostly to do with numerous self-owns and then the entire right wing hate machine rallying against it significantly.
    I'm so very gutted for Kiritapu Allen.

Labour just feels like they're falling apart at the seams and it has me more worried than i want to be.

Yeah they really feel like they're just conceding the next election TBH. There is no real leadership from the look of things and it's unspeakably dumb when your justice minister gets arrested for DUI.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I feel two ways about the Kiri Allen
    Big picture, it's a shitty blow to a talented and capable minister who had so much more to offer her community(s) and NZ as a whole, when there aren't that many of those.

But, as a public servant I had heard about her behaviour towards public servants / staff over the grapevine long before it entered the public sphere and while I do not want to speak specifically about what I heard, I will say that it is a good thing that MPs are reminded that there is a line of toxic workplace culture and behaviours that should not be crossed in a situation where there is a massive power imbalance and little recourse for resolution.

There is no HR mediation for toxic MP behaviour towards staff. No performance improvement plan. The only review is by the public every 3 years, and parliamentary services and ministerial staff are expressly constrained from being able to input into that process.

There is a level of behaviour that should not occur but does, and public servants have to silently endure it, which affects both performance and mental health of staff.

Usually, these situations are private open secrets amongst public servants. Occasionally, something gets put down in writing. And then maybe, a story comes out in the media. Maybe it wasn't that bad. Maybe it was worse. Maybe it was somewhere in the middle.

But I hope that all MPs are reminded that public servants are people as well, and they're often competent, dedicated folks that work thankless tasks and there are behaviours they shouldn't be subjected to, as no one should be treated that way.

Because we deserve non-toxic workplaces as well.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Yeah that makes sense and I agree with all of that.

It just has the feels of.... wrong that she's resigning but Uffindel is still in his seat.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    The idea of prime Minister Luxon remains viscerally horrifying. Not only is he frankly incompetent, but I really have no issue with calling him evil to boot.

(Sorry boyo, you don't get to own seven houses while people are homeless and ask the other shit you've said and be a good person).

It's very scary given my beneficiary status and the fact I'm holding on by the skin of my teeth currently. Even stuff like undoing the free pharmacy charges would hurt

• Options
    Fucking... SEVEN houses? Christ.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Why the media doesn't constantly ream the shit out of him over that, I don't know.

Like I'm not quite at "owning more than two houses is awful" levels, I can see arguments for main home, secondary home where you travel a lot, maybe even a small bach or whatever

But that's it, and even then I find it a bit gross. Fucking seven!? To say nothing of the slum lords with 30 plus properties. There's no justifying that, not with the state of rentals in this country, not with people sleeping rough in the streets. It's just evil.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    The extent to which Luxon can barely disguise his fundie Christian leanings and yet somehow not get rejected by the largely secular NZ population continues to astound me. I thought there was a non-zero chance the party would have rolled him by now, but party ratings seem steady as much in spite of him as because of him. He's just such an uninspiring non-entity whose biggest leadership asset seems to be 'able to have the slightest hint of non-conformity blandly removed'.

Fishman on
  • Options

Oh, and two of his houses are tax payer funded, because handouts are fine when you're rich.

He's a horrible, horrible person.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    If National had a competent leader things would be very different, as is even with Labour flailing National can barely scrape a thin lead. They could do (and have recently done) a lot worse.
    I'm hoping Luxon's odiousness means more votes go to smaller parties rather than the usual red blue switch.

• Options
    Luxon being a toxic leader is not quite as scary to me as David Seymour getting anywhere close to power.

• Options
    True, but while disgruntled National voters definitely go to ACT, disgruntled Labour voters are much less likely to. So if people are not voting Labour, I hope it goes to a smaller party rather than across the aisle to the blue party.

• Options
    yeah i'm tossing around doing my party vote for Te Pati Maori.

National coming out today/last night and whining about removing GST from Fruits and Veggies just seems like yet another out of touch moment.

Like, in what world do you live that you aren't feeling the cost fo food, and then trying to figure out if taking GST off would be a boost for those who need it?

like.

I mean, I know, it's a7 house owning world but. SIGH

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Crikey!

I don't know if I've been prouder of a group of people I normally don't have a lot of time for.

Some small context provided for those unfamiliar with Aussie culture...

In a couple weeks we are having a vote on whether to change our constitution to properly recognise indigenous Australians, and grant them an advisory role in parliament (beyond any elected representatives, who vote normally).

This has become a controversial issue, and while not all No votes are racist dickheads, most racist dickheads are firmly in the No camp. And they might win, because the disinformation campaign has been strong on their part, and the Yes campaign haven't been flawless.

Anyways, at some point(don't know when it started), Australian Rules games started having a small ceremony pre-game, called "Welcome To Country", hosted by indigenous Australians.

Sam Newman, a controversial (read "dickhead") football commentator who is firmly in the No camp, declared this past week, that the crowd should boo the ceremony. Basically a protest against PC wokeness or some shit.

Newman's been a dickhead for as long as I've known of his existence.

The AFL's CEO, and the Victorian Premier (Governor) of the primary state (more than half of AFL teams are Victorian) came out against the protests, calling the idea divisive.

This would normally just energise the crowds out of contrarianism to authority. Not much separates an AFL crowd from an NFL crowd or a Premier League crowd, and I don't think many think highly of their respect for decorum.

But no, they surprised me.

On Friday night, the crowd were respectful and silent.

On Saturday night, the host got them rowdy, but in a uniquely Australian way.

For those who can't make it out, it's the host giving a small speech, before ending with a decades (ar least) long call to chant.

Normally, this is one person in the crowd, at an appropriate time after an action on the field shouts "Aussie Aussie Aussie!", and the crowd around them responds "Oi ! Oi! Oi!". Usually, if it's successful, it's a couple dozen to a couple hundred.

This is an entire stadium, some 40,000 strong, following suit.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I can imagine a plausible No vote argument, but it boils down to me a white person telling aborginal people what's best for them, and that ultimately feels distasteful (also is very much not the argument anyone on the no side is making). But also this is like...the lowest possible stakes constitutional change. The main reason to do it is to stop the Liberals from dissolving any such advisory body everytime they're in power - and the reason to have such a body is that we already acknowledge aboriginal issues as unique and worthy of specific consideration in dozens of small ways (i.e. Uluru now being treated as aboriginal land under the management of the traditional owners).

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    Really, the only reasonable No argument I can see is that the change simply has no teeth.
    And so passing an advisory Voice whose makeup and methods are defined by Parliament could well curtail any push for a stronger Voice, and allow politicians off the hook.

But that rather assumes that the consultation done for this Voice has been either ineffective or done in bad faith, and that a stronger Voice has a chance of getting passed by itself, neither of which I believe to be the case.

discrider on
  • Options
    I saw some kind of convincing No arguments from indigenous folks saying stuff like this is more white saviour type thing.

But I've been too anxious about the election dragon here to really pay attention to your side of the ditch

• Options
    But I've been too anxious about the election dragon here to really pay attention to your side of the ditch

My anxiety and frustration are incredibly high right now. I don't really want labour in power again, given how badly they have squandered their majority.

I am absolutely fucking terrified of national getting in power, especially if they drag Act & NZ First we them - all the more so with the hateful fucking shit they've been vomiting out.

Especially around beneficiaries, which I'm not going to stop being one any time soon as my long COVID renders me bed ridden and wiping out just from trying to do little bits of gardening..

Realistically, I'm voting greens, but the whole situation just has me feeling sick right now

• Options
    I'm also voting Greens. Although Te Pati Maori is also high on my list. but honestly, Greens.

Pipe Dream Marama Davidson as PM would set so many heads on fire that deserve to be on fire, even the thought keeps me warm.

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    I really wish Labour would actually have the courage to campaign on what they actually achieved, which is actually pretty significant, and not the 'please don't notice' strategy they seem to have gone for. It drives me absolutely wild that, in the face of slow collapse of public services which are wildly popular, the vote winner seems to be 'cut taxes, and just hope no-one notices the scale of further cuts that will be required '

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    I think the real shame is that NZ's economic performance is pretty much bettering the rest of the nations we'd usually compare ourselves to, but the rhetoric of 'back on track' is out there. Like, if we're off track, half the nations of the globe would trade up a years worth of children to get to where we are right now.

Times are tough because of the concentration of wealth, not because we need to remove constraints and restrictions on the economy. The economy is recovering just fine. What we need is to evenly redistribute the wealth that's coming in to be more even and fair, not exacerbate the rich/poor divide.

• Options
    Luxon being all "I really don't want to work with Winston, but i will if I have to. I'd rather work with David Seymour" just has me screaming at the layers of it all.

It's both "I like ACT and what they stand for" and also "Please give me enough of a majority that I don't need to work with Winston. Please. Don't make me work with him. Even I don't deserve that"

Which... I mean, I can't say I blame him on that one.

Also, things I've learned, Chloe Swarbrick did a campaign event at a drag show, as a drag king named "Chloe Swolebrick" and I fucking love that.

• Options
    It really is amazing that he can do it again and again. I admire his purity. A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.

• Options
    edited September 2023
    So I was annoyed by those "not my voice" commercials I was being served on youtube - a first nation's person stating they would vote no in the referendum. I decided to block it, and was given the note that the ad was from "Advance Australia".

That's the conservative group that was put together to be a right wing version of GetUp while pretending to be centrist. Their other concerns? Not changing the date of Australia Day, excluding trans women from sport, nonsense about woke teachings in school, getting rid of heritage listings, and having a bigger army because ooooo China.

Fucking wonderful. I just hope the people in the ads got paid.

(Edited to include their other concerns I exposed myself to by reading their hellsite. Ugh.)

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Luxon being all "I really don't want to work with Winston, but i will if I have to. I'd rather work with David Seymour" just has me screaming at the layers of it all.

It's both "I like ACT and what they stand for" and also "Please give me enough of a majority that I don't need to work with Winston. Please. Don't make me work with him. Even I don't deserve that"

Also, things I've learned, Chloe Swarbrick did a campaign event at a drag show, as a drag king named "Chloe Swolebrick" and I fucking love that.

Its fucking disgusting that Winne the trash head is running on the stuff he is running on, especially the anti-trans bullshit, and isn't getting absolutely torn to shreds over it

• Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular

Its fucking disgusting that Winne the trash head is running on the stuff he is running on, especially the anti-trans bullshit, and isn't getting absolutely torn to shreds over it

The youth debate had, among other things.... the NZ first representative getting torn to shreds over it, so it was mildly cathartic at least.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    I saw some clips from that.

And Chloe just gives me life. Her face, which I'm imagining was doing is best to contain itself, was amazing to see.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Crikey!

Daniel Andrews is out as premier of Victoria and my family is... celebrating? You dumb fucks, do you honestly think the liberals would have done a better job? Really guys? I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the most vocal, my dad and one uncle, are Herald Sun readers...

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    It's so fucking dumb that Rob Schneiders opinion about Andrews is making the news.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    I have had my issues with Andrews, primarily on his bargaining with paramedics, fire fighters and teachers.

But I thought the only premier who did a better job managing Covid was McGowan, and WA didn’t have to share a border with NSW, which was leaking like a sieve. Most of my critiques of his Covid policy was the different treatment that wealthier suburbs received early on, along with the unnecessary show of force given to the public housing towers to show how tough he was.

I think he caved too soon on ending lockdown policy due to pressure from the National cabinet, despite it being unpopular.

His infrastructure building will be a long term benefit for the state, and I hope whoever his successor is continues the plans to reintroduce the SEC and likely nationalise energy in the state again.

I have some friends coming around on Friday, we’re going to do some door knocking for the Voice and then do a BBQ and

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yw5xaVFol9M

Kelor on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    As a NSW resident, I apologize to people sharing a border with us. At some point Gladys just gave up and said 'everyone go back to work and die for Mammon you cowards'.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    As a NSW resident, I apologize to people sharing a border with us. At some point Gladys just gave up and said 'everyone go back to work and die for Mammon you cowards'.

I appreciate it, but I never held a grudge against the people of NSW. It was clearly Gladys’ willingness to feed people into the morgues rather than run a responsible campaign of pandemic containment.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    With the PM holding her up as a shining example of pandemic management

• Options
    edited September 2023
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/politics/revealed-how-acts-david-seymour-was-gifted-a-plane-for-the-election-campaign/OFRH26M5BNBXJBYV6CZ7NBNI2A/

So Seymour, handouts are bad when people are disabled or have health issues, but they're fine when it's your rich business buddies? Fucking cool, mate. Fucking cool. Personal responsibility, huh?

I'm so fucking tired and angry about this shit. We've got NZ First and ACT stoking things to the point of actual political violence happening in the form of break ins and threatening letters, a huge tide of "Fuck beneficries", and meanwhile long covid is a thing. We're shutting down our only clinic! Wooo. Covid is still a thing. All our disabled, poor people they're still a thing.

And i'm having days where i basically have to stay in bed all day and any physical activity sends my heart into overdrive. Just... I'm so tired with all this crap. I'm so tired of being a political football for kicking around because how dare i have chronic health issues that make working hard, let alone the trauma from years of having crap health and poor outcomes. Why wasn't I just born without health issues? So easy!

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    Well, this is fucking horrifying:

https://www.1news.co.nz/2023/10/01/winston-peters-attacks-tvnz-says-he-wants-broadcasting-portfolio/

After getting seriously grilled in an interview, we get this exchange:

Towards the end of the interview, Peters said: "Thank you, Jack – you've just made a hopeless case here. A good case for us to make sure we get the broadcasting portfolio after this election."

Tame followed up: "Is that a threat, Mr Peters?"

"No, it's not a threat. It's a promise that you're going to have an operation that's much more improved than what it is now. It's just an idea," Peters responded.

And people think this guy should be anywhere near the reigns of power. Fucking hell.

• Options
    We'll see if this break in is a James Shaw getting punched incident or a Jack Brazil getting shot incident.