As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Move Name Exclamation Point

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited September 2021 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Move Name Exclamation Point

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    Jgr9Jgr9 Registered User regular
    Nail Gun?

• Options
    Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    Imagine not saying the name of your attack, pretty cringe.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Jgr9 wrote: »
    Nail Gun?

Shit, that's good

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    Reminds me of a D&D campaign I once played in, where the monk would refer to her basic strikes as "Casting Fist"

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • Options
    FireballDragonFireballDragon Registered User regular
    GUM-GUM PISTOL! KINNIKU BUSTER! KAMEHAMEHA!

• Options
    TheSchaefTheSchaef Registered User regular
    Goblin-slaying attack!

• Options
    BropocalypseBropocalypse Registered User regular
    I think it's to do with "kiai"

• Options
    ironheadironhead Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I know this could refer to just about any battle anime, but I honestly can't wait for the news post to explain which battle anime specifically led to this comic.

ironhead on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    It's Tales of Arise. The guy with the eyepatch in panel 2 gives it away.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I played Berseria and having a full party of people constantly screaming out their moves was a bit much.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    "Ready for this? First Aid!"

6BqyiBD.jpg

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • Options
    Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular

Ah, memories of Tales of Phantasia come rushing back. I guess the basic healing spell is still called that in the Tales series?

• Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular

Ah, memories of Tales of Phantasia come rushing back. I guess the basic healing spell is still called that in the Tales series?

My first thought was Tales of Symphonia, but I imagine it applies to many Tales games. :)

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    islingtonislington Registered User regular
    Hot take: The title needs an exclamation point.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I started training in Brazilian Ju Jitsu recently and specifically request my more experienced friends to do this if they get me in a submission I don't recognize and might not tap out to before I get hurt.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    GUM-GUM PISTOL! KINNIKU BUSTER! KAMEHAMEHA!

A fine selection.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    I played Berseria and having a full party of people constantly screaming out their moves was a bit much.

Yeah, that's the thing. In anime or manga, it's usually something that only happens once per episode/chapter. In a videogame it's a constant barrage of repetitive soundbites, which gets tedious very quickly. I'm not against having call outs for flashy moves, but I think in games there should be some system reducing how often they come up (like how in Final Fantasy Tactics there was a low chance of casters saying an incantation when their spell activates, but usually it just skipped right into the animation).

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    Tales of Arise is great, but man the constant yelling during the battles gets annoying after a while. Yelling attack names once in a while is fine, but the constant barrage of comments just kind of drowns out the gameplay. And it feels especially jarring during the more emotionally dramatic boss battles.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

Yeah, that's the thing. In anime or manga, it's usually something that only happens once per episode/chapter. In a videogame it's a constant barrage of repetitive soundbites, which gets tedious very quickly. I'm not against having call outs for flashy moves, but I think in games there should be some system reducing how often they come up (like how in Final Fantasy Tactics there was a low chance of casters saying an incantation when their spell activates, but usually it just skipped right into the animation).

this should be applied to most game dialogue TBF. Plot related stuff fine always play. The guards yelling at you, attack names, stuff like that? RNG that stuff!

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

this should be applied to most game dialogue TBF. Plot related stuff fine always play. The guards yelling at you, attack names, stuff like that? RNG that stuff!

I will destroy you!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I think Tales of Arise might seriously be my game of the year. IMO It's fucking wonderful, beating even Symphonia on my list of Tales games. :)

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular

I will destroy you!

Enemies everywhere!

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    One less to worry about!

• Options
    hibryd7hibryd7 Registered User regular
    edited September 2021
    I literally did not buy the game just on this one thing. It's so fucking annoying and distracting. I also hate it when there's this meaningless "ALL RIGHT, LETS DO THIS!" sound byte in parallel w/text and it has nothing to do w/what the text is saying.

I returned Monster Hunter World for the exact same offense. Words, like, communicate stuff; they're not glitter that you just randomly seed into your game and hope the player confuses it for content.

hibryd7 on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Can't believe I didn't link this earlier:

https://youtu.be/688z-4SWxOQ

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Armored ChocoboArmored Chocobo Registered User regular
    T-Danger wrote: »
    Tales of Arise is great, but man the constant yelling during the battles gets annoying after a while. Yelling attack names once in a while is fine, but the constant barrage of comments just kind of drowns out the gameplay. And it feels especially jarring during the more emotionally dramatic boss battles.

Guess they were going for the Xenoblade fanbase

• Options
    shadowysea07shadowysea07 Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    took me a minute plus the comments section to confirm this was tales of arise(ia) based. It's ok but I don't care for it as much as older games in the series. The constant chatter repeating on loop during every battle definitely needs a turn it off option.

I think this is the first time they've done a comic on tales of series.

shadowysea07 on