As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] Thread: Denver Gets That Tall Pocket Passer They've Been Missing

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Grudens Gripers, coming to The Joe Rogan Experience this Fall

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    RedTide wrote: »
    Grudens Gripers, coming to The Joe Rogan Experience this Fall

He'll get a netflix special about cancel culture.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    gruden stuff aside, i don't know how you take a business meeting sitting across from mark davis seriously
    like has anyone ever told him he looks like a medieval squire?

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    gruden stuff aside, i don't know how you take a business meeting sitting across from mark davis seriously

"You look like the dumber version of Jim Carrey in dumb and dumber."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Someone in vegas with a prop bet just made a shit ton of money and a bunch of dudes with easy money on Urban Meyer just lost!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Okay, but how much of his $100 million contract will still be honored?

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »

I'd say theres no way there isnt a morality clause in there, but Mark Davis is one of the signatures on it so let's be honest he's probably keeping all of it.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options

They are claiming resign so that should invalidate the contract. But who knows really as someone said above Mark Davis is an idiot.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Xantomas wrote: »
    HeraldS wrote: »
    Wow, seeing a lot of Chiefs hate and mockery on social media. It's kind of a bummer. How did Mahomes piss in everyone's cheerios? He's a pretty likable dude IRL, and even if you're not a fan he's entertaining to watch when he's on fire and doing crazy shit.

KC has been struggling since getting fucked up in the Super Bowl last year. :(

I hope CEH is OK too and that Kelce doesn't have a concussion. :((

Cause fuck the Chiefs. Between Tyreek Hill and Britt Reid they deserve nothing good to happen to them for the next 3 decades at least. People who hurt children have a special place in hell waiting for them, and organizations that give cover to those kinds of pieces of shit can die in a goddamn fire. Preferably one started by the immolation of ownership and the coaching staff.

Andy's fuckup son lost his job over that and is probably? going to jail for it too. And yeah Tyreek Hill is a piece of shit, but you know what would happen if KC cut the fastest man in the NFL for being a piece of shit? He'd be playing for another team 24 hours later. Would that make you happy? KC cut their star RB Kareem Hunt for being a similar piece of shit a few years ago and he was playing for the Browns a couple months later.

I guarantee that you can't find an NFL team that isn't knowingly employing a violent domestic abuser. It's a rampant problem with the whole sport.

But sure, go ahead and threaten a whole organization with death because you hate them for being exactly the same as any other professional sports team.

Turns out there's a lot of fucking hate here too. Question answered, I guess. :-1:

Whether or not another team would sign him is immaterial to the fact that KC regularly asks people to celebrate a man who is an unrepentant abuser of both his partner and his child. Fans being blase when their teams sign violent abusers because they'll help their team win is a large part of the problem. At the end of the day these are all businesses whose primary concern is making money and there are very few players who are worth keeping around if they jeopardize the bottom line.

All of that is aside from the casual racism that the team embodies in it's branding and the racist fan behaviors that it encourages.

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    The only reason he was let go is because he ragged on Goodell right? He could have skated by and "apologized" for the racial and homophobic stuff but since he clowned on Goodell, his bed was made at that point.

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Maybe if it had all dropped on Friday the Goodell stuff would have done him in, but the way it's played out: the kinda deniable old timey racism on Friday, the majority of the NFL commentators defending him all weekend, and then the full dump today Gruden was gonna be gone no matter what he said about the commish.

Edit: that's a terrible run on sentence but I don't have the energy to fix it.

Carpy on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    The only reason he was let go is because he ragged on Goodell right? He could have skated by and "apologized" for the racial and homophobic stuff but since he clowned on Goodell, his bed was made at that point.

More likely is that, with the content of the rest of the emails known, he was going to have a problem somewhere between losing the locker room and drawing too big of a spotlight.

For better or worse, teams hate controversial attention. That fact has been the largest force of good in the league for ... too long

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Also Gruden just released a statement saying he resigned so he likely gets nothing beyond fully guaranteed money

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    he's likely toasted his broadcasting career too but he might be welcome in college

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    he's likely toasted his broadcasting career too but he might be welcome in college

Fox Sports 1 , "Gruden's Grinders" coming soon!

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Wow, seeing a lot of Chiefs hate and mockery on social media. It's kind of a bummer. How did Mahomes piss in everyone's cheerios? He's a pretty likable dude IRL, and even if you're not a fan he's entertaining to watch when he's on fire and doing crazy shit.

Cause fuck the Chiefs. Between Tyreek Hill and Britt Reid they deserve nothing good to happen to them for the next 3 decades at least. People who hurt children have a special place in hell waiting for them, and organizations that give cover to those kinds of pieces of shit can die in a goddamn fire. Preferably one started by the immolation of ownership and the coaching staff.

Andy's fuckup son lost his job over that and is probably? going to jail for it too. And yeah Tyreek Hill is a piece of shit, but you know what would happen if KC cut the fastest man in the NFL for being a piece of shit? He'd be playing for another team 24 hours later. Would that make you happy? KC cut their star RB Kareem Hunt for being a similar piece of shit a few years ago and he was playing for the Browns a couple months later.

I guarantee that you can't find an NFL team that isn't knowingly employing a violent domestic abuser. It's a rampant problem with the whole sport.

But sure, go ahead and threaten a whole organization with death because you hate them for being exactly the same as any other professional sports team.

Turns out there's a lot of fucking hate here too. Question answered, I guess. :-1:

I'm willing to put a fair amount of blame on Andy Reid for raising two sons that couldn't stand to face life without copious drugs and alcohol despite presumably being raised in comfort and privilege. You have to be a real fuckup father for it to get that bad.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »

Barstool

• Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »

Barstool

That was my first thought too

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »

Whether or not another team would sign him is immaterial to the fact that KC regularly asks people to celebrate a man who is an unrepentant abuser of both his partner and his child. Fans being blase when their teams sign violent abusers because they'll help their team win is a large part of the problem. At the end of the day these are all businesses whose primary concern is making money and there are very few players who are worth keeping around if they jeopardize the bottom line.

All of that is aside from the casual racism that the team embodies in it's branding and the racist fan behaviors that it encourages.

And I guess since I'm at it, calling the team and it's fans racist is fucking bullshit too. Again, how many teams have racist fans? All of them. Welcome to America. Missouri is a red state full of assholes just like half of this country. I know about that time the stadium boo'd at some NFL anti-racism announcement thing, it sucks. But do you think the Jets fans chanting FUCK JOE BIDEN last week were any better? You think Philly or Dallas or Jacksonville are either?

The Chiefs name and branding and stuff aren't on the same level as the literal slur Redskins are. If you think that all teams named after Native Americans like the Braves and Blackhawks and Seminoles and so on should be changed because they are racist then that's a discussion I'm willing to have. I've seen cool ideas online about changing the Chiefs to mean Fire Chiefs and changing the arrowhead to a Fire Dept emblem and keep the name and colors and all that. I think that's interesting. The Chiefs consult with a Native American group to try and be less insensitive and have done things like banning fans wearing indian headdresses and cheerleaders don't do the chop thing anymore. They do not fucking embody racism.

The problem I'm having with people being angry and hateful and shouting moral outrage re: Kansas City is that it's not unique to Kansas City. Shitty players and shitty fans are common to every team.

Hating the team because they are suddenly bandwagon is fine with me I guess, it's a rotating honor. Hating Mahomes because you think he's too good and stuck up and needs to be knocked down a peg.. whatever. Hate the Chiefs because you're a big Denver or Raiders fan? Knock yourself out.

The rest of it is unfair and pisses me off.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    That was not why I thought Gruden would fail, but it doesn't exactly surprise me.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Also, I respect Coach Dungy, for Coach Dungy.

But his hypocrisy on NBC last night, like AngieHegie reminded us all, on Dungy's gaslighting on a Black , gay NFl player from Mizzo,. Compared to the Raiders player coming out this year, is not yet forgotten.

Ticaldfjam on
  • Options
    Interesting that this is the thing that leaks from the NFL's investigation into Washington's culture of sexual harassment and in at least one case literal fucking sex trafficking.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    650,000 emails and the only leaks are related to Gruden.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    “Wasaaah you guys are being so unfair because the name “Chiefs” isn’t a literal slur”

Whine more, it really makes your arguments better

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options

And I guess since I'm at it, calling the team and it's fans racist is fucking bullshit too. Again, how many teams have racist fans? All of them. Welcome to America. Missouri is a red state full of assholes just like half of this country. I know about that time the stadium boo'd at some NFL anti-racism announcement thing, it sucks. But do you think the Jets fans chanting FUCK JOE BIDEN last week were any better? You think Philly or Dallas or Jacksonville are either?

The Chiefs name and branding and stuff aren't on the same level as the literal slur Redskins are. If you think that all teams named after Native Americans like the Braves and Blackhawks and Seminoles and so on should be changed because they are racist then that's a discussion I'm willing to have. I've seen cool ideas online about changing the Chiefs to mean Fire Chiefs and changing the arrowhead to a Fire Dept emblem and keep the name and colors and all that. I think that's interesting. The Chiefs consult with a Native American group to try and be less insensitive and have done things like banning fans wearing indian headdresses and cheerleaders don't do the chop thing anymore. They do not fucking embody racism.

The problem I'm having with people being angry and hateful and shouting moral outrage re: Kansas City is that it's not unique to Kansas City. Shitty players and shitty fans are common to every team.

Hating the team because they are suddenly bandwagon is fine with me I guess, it's a rotating honor. Hating Mahomes because you think he's too good and stuck up and needs to be knocked down a peg.. whatever. Hate the Chiefs because you're a big Denver or Raiders fan? Knock yourself out.

The conversation is revolving around KC because you asked why people dislike KC. When people talk about the team and fans being racist they're very particularly talking about the appropriation of Native imagery. Stuff like the chop and it's associated music cue, white dudes in red face and/or headdresses, stuff like that. In the NFL KC is the last remaining team to use/condone these displays but the complaint is regularly levied against any team that uses the imagery.

It's generally considered a different conversation than stuff like racial bias in coaching hires or player evaluation because the problem is so overt and it's also something the team can easily solve on it's own.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Did he just take a dive?

• Options
    You can think whatever you want, unfair or not I guess. I'm being pissy and defensive about sportsball and that's not a mood I'll keep for long. Hopefully my home team starts playing better soon.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

"You look like the dumber version of Jim Carrey in dumb and dumber."

What? This can't possibly be true.

*googles*

oh... oh my god

• Options
    Keep playing Prevent, Indy.

• Options

The conversation is revolving around KC because you asked why people dislike KC. When people talk about the team and fans being racist they're very particularly talking about the appropriation of Native imagery. Stuff like the chop and it's associated music cue, white dudes in red face and/or headdresses, stuff like that. In the NFL KC is the last remaining team to use/condone these displays but the complaint is regularly levied against any team that uses the imagery.

It's generally considered a different conversation than stuff like racial bias in coaching hires or player evaluation because the problem is so overt and it's also something the team can easily solve on it's own.

Yeah I made that comment because Mahomes was having a pretty bad game and teh tweets online were just overflowing with hatred towards him and that amount of hostility at him is honestly pretty new to me. So I bring it up here and it turns more to CHIEFS ARE RACIST ABUSIVE CHILD MURDERERS AND SHOULD ALL BURN IN HELL and I probably should have seen that coming.

And like I said, the native appropriation I agree with, though I disagree that it's blatant racism and the organization has taken steps to lessen that. White guys in redface and wearing headdresses are technically banned, though I'm sure they sneak in sometimes. Some other stuff I also wish they'd get rid of (like the song) and other stuff I think is fine (like the drum). I'm sure the organization doesn't want to change their name, but I'd be fine if they did.

This topic comes up in here all the time too and I don't usually get pissy about it, I'm in a bad mood. :(

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Knowing the Harbaugh family there is a pretty large part of John that is disappointed.

Didn't get 100 yards rushing.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    On the Chiefs thing: safe assumption is every NFL team is absolutely monstrous in all sorts of ways. Ownership is exclusively billionaires and "football people" have been reactionary dicks forever.

So really it's just the nickname and the chant that's bothersome, and yeah we should probably stop that in 2021.

EDIT: Oh also, whoever that Colts TE was that took a cheap shot and then a ridiculous dive to set up the field goal attempt needs to be fined.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    EDIT: Oh also, whoever that Colts TE was that took a cheap shot and then a ridiculous dive to set up the field goal attempt needs to be fined.

The guy who took the bait should run laps until he pukes.

• Options

Yeah I made that comment because Mahomes was having a pretty bad game and teh tweets online were just overflowing with hatred towards him and that amount of hostility at him is honestly pretty new to me. So I bring it up here and it turns more to CHIEFS ARE RACIST ABUSIVE CHILD MURDERERS AND SHOULD ALL BURN IN HELL and I probably should have seen that coming.

And like I said, the native appropriation I agree with, though I disagree that it's blatant racism and the organization has taken steps to lessen that. White guys in redface and wearing headdresses are technically banned, though I'm sure they sneak in sometimes. Some other stuff I also wish they'd get rid of (like the song) and other stuff I think is fine (like the drum). I'm sure the organization doesn't want to change their name, but I'd be fine if they did.

This topic comes up in here all the time too and I don't usually get pissy about it, I'm in a bad mood. :(

Hey, we've all been there posting when we should probably just let it go/sleep on it/sleep it off.

As for Mahomes specifically it might just be a small subset of people that's getting pushed into your timeline, I haven't seen any change in attitude towards him in my haunts. Also as someone else has noted the line between fun/novel and irritating can be real small, especially when you combine a play style as unique as his with their recent run of success.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

I'm willing to put a fair amount of blame on Andy Reid for raising two sons that couldn't stand to face life without copious drugs and alcohol despite presumably being raised in comfort and privilege. You have to be a real fuckup father for it to get that bad.

This is gross and perpetuates a bunch of bullshit stereotypes about addiction.

If you feel the need to attack a father who lost his kid to a heroin overdose, given everything we know now about how oxy got overprescribed and pushed on people for two decades. Thats a pretty sure sign you need to take a break from online arguing about footbawl.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular

Hey, we've all been there posting when we should probably just let it go/sleep on it/sleep it off.

As for Mahomes specifically it might just be a small subset of people that's getting pushed into your timeline, I haven't seen any change in attitude towards him in my haunts. Also as someone else has noted the line between fun/novel and irritating can be real small, especially when you combine a play style as unique as his with their recent run of success.

Most of the stuff I've seen aimed at Mahomes is bafflement. "Why is the wizard not casting his usual world-shaking spells today? Did he forget to prepare them during the long rest?" That sort of thing.

(Note that I don't doubt there are a ton of haters being all "Ha-ha the wunderkind is a dud!", just that in my corner of the internet, where there's commentary on Mahomes, it's more often mild disappointment and puzzlement.)

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    yeah blaming my mother for how I monumentally fucked up my life would be both unfair, and untrue

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Can you overdose on schadenfruede?

Gruden runs through four years of being an at best mediocre team, finally looks to have one that isn't a dumpster fire in at least one aspect, and now have a good chance at a deep playoff run,

And now he's gone.

"I wish my offense, defense, special teams and everyone working for me on the coaching staff were all competent and scandal free!"
    "Wish.... granted."

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Can you overdose on schadenfruede?

Gruden runs through four years of being an at best mediocre team, finally looks to have one that isn't a dumpster fire in at least one aspect, and now have a good chance at a deep playoff run,

And now he's gone.

"I wish my offense, defense, special teams and everyone working for me on the coaching staff were all competent and scandal free!"
    "Wish.... granted."

When the wrist on the monkey's paw snaps, you know you're fucked.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    zepherin wrote: »
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    zepherin wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    Rodgers is positioning himself for a much different career in broadcasting than your typical ex-player, but from the small sample size we have he lacks the talent for it to make sense.

Yeah, although most of the hosts who did Jeopardy looked awful. Experienced news anchors and interviewers, even Mr Reading Rainbow himself all were kind of awkward and stunted. I think It might be one of those things you just need the reps and find what works, rather than trying to be Trebek.

I didn't see any of the Jeopardy audition episodes (just some of the highlights) but we all know the guy that going to take the job rigged everything he could in his favor.

But I'm only talking about Rodgers' boring but highly circulated body of work as a corporate spokesperson.
    I think until the end of 2021 it’s Mayim Bialik and Len Jennings splitting the roll because of previous obligations. I kind of hope Mayim Bialik does it full time because she’s a delight.

She’s also a borderline anti-vaxxer. While she and her family have the Covid vaccine, her kids don’t have the rest of the normal vaccine schedule (MMR and the like).

But then, pretty much everyone is going to be problematic to one degree or another. On the subject of the Chiefs, Andy Reid campaigned for an anti-LGBT Republican. Also, unlike the Eagles in 2018 and the Patriots in 2019, he wanted to visit the Trump White House after the Super Bowl win (that seems to have been derailed by Covid, not any change in politics).

That’s a meme that’s been passed around, because she is skeptical of big pharmaceutical, but I don’t think it’s true she’s against her kids getting vaccinations.

From a 2009 interview:

Reader N.S. remembers reading about your contemplating whether or not to vaccinate the kids. What decision did you reach?

We are a non-vaccinating family, but I make no claims about people’s individual decisions. We based ours on research and discussions with our pediatrician, and we’ve been happy with that decision, but obviously there’s a lot of controversy about it.

As I noted, she and hers got the Covid vaccine, but it’s unclear as to when they changed their minds about other vaccines. There was anger because of stuff she said in a public forum that has serious negative consequences for people inclined by her. I recognize that this is some degree of my own straight white male cis privilege talking, but I think that a public figure openly saying anti-vaccine things is worse than a public figure privately being a racist, misogynistic, homophobic asshole.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.