As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NFL] Thread: Denver Gets That Tall Pocket Passer They've Been Missing

13132343637100

Posts

  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    He's Ndamukong Suh with better brand image.

    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
    ObiFettMulletudeBlackDragon480Doctor DetroitMunkus Beaver
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Which is really funny given how good Suh’s work outside of football is

    ShadowhopeTicaldfjamMulletudeMorganVzagdrobMunkus Beaver
  • TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Which is really funny given how good Suh’s work outside of football is

    Isn't Suh an Engineer as well? I mean, from when he was a Cornhusker.

    Ticaldfjam on
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Two BS calls against the Seahawks this drive and I hate the Seahawks and want everything they do to fail horribly.

    STOP MAKING ME SIDE WITH THE SEAHAWKS, YOU ABSOLUTELY WORTHLESS REFS.

  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Lol WFT doing their best Lions impression.

  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    what i don't get is how inconsistent the calls are game to game, week to week. Do these people not have to spend hours together training and reviewing games and learning to be better refs?

  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    what i don't get is how inconsistent the calls are game to game, week to week. Do these people not have to spend hours together training and reviewing games and learning to be better refs?

    Pretty sure they don't. NFL refs aren't full time. They have 'day jobs' the rest of the week. Maybe some kind of 'training' after the season that probably involves being given all the new catch rules and instructions to call more taunting penalties.

    MorganVzepherinmaraji
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I'm enjoying this fluffing of the Washington QB. It's like they think he'll be relevant in a few years. How cute!

    zepherin
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Seattle suuuuuucks.

    SeñorAmorJebus314knitdanzepherinButters
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Can't trust either team to put this game away.

  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Can't trust either team to put this game away.

    Certainly not the special team.

    zepherin
  • knitdanknitdan Registered User regular
    I didn’t have sound on so I couldn’t tell what was supposed to be “illegal formation” about a formation that wasn’t flagged on the next play but Seattle deserved to lose so whatever. I want the record to be as bad as possible so we can draft a line for whoever replaces Russ next year.

    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I didn’t have sound on so I couldn’t tell what was supposed to be “illegal formation” about a formation that wasn’t flagged on the next play but Seattle deserved to lose so whatever. I want the record to be as bad as possible so we can draft a line for whoever replaces Russ next year.

    Apparently you can't have anyone but the kicker between the hashes. One player lined up just inside the hashes on the first attempt, just outside on the second. At least that's the explanation the commentators gave.

  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    what i don't get is how inconsistent the calls are game to game, week to week. Do these people not have to spend hours together training and reviewing games and learning to be better refs?

    Pretty sure they don't. NFL refs aren't full time. They have 'day jobs' the rest of the week. Maybe some kind of 'training' after the season that probably involves being given all the new catch rules and instructions to call more taunting penalties.

    That's what i've read. How are they not full time jobs like a coach for a team? The NFL could seriously spend money in better ways than their promo music stuff. Even if just the head ref for each game was a full time employee that met with the other full time employees and had to treat it like a full time job i can't imagine it making thins worse. Paying millions of dollars for these players to be reffed by a side job guy just seems really poorly thought out.

    zepherinMunkus Beaver
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »
    Which is really funny given how good Suh’s work outside of football is

    Isn't Suh an Engineer as well? I mean, from when he was a Cornhusker.

    Probably dude is obviously hyper intelligent

    He founded an org to help with financial literacy and regularly puts out long tweet threads educating people about how our society broke and led to runaway wealth inequality. Here’s one from before Sunday’s game vs Indy:



    Edit: I still chuckle about the old Jamboroo where Emmett Smith had a lock of the week featuring the Lions and riffed on Dominican Soup’s dominance

    Captain Inertia on
    BlackDragon480H3KnucklesTicaldfjamTrajan45ShadowenShadowhopeSmurph
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    To be fair to the NFL they are paying the refs 6 figures to work part time.

  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    It is absolutely absurd that arguably one of the largest Professional Leagues in the world doesn't have full-time refs.

    Captain InertiaXantomasTicaldfjamRedTideElvenshaeA Dabble Of TheloniusH3KnucklesMorganVadmanbCarpyPailryderTrajan45BloodsheedShadowenShadowhopetzeentchling
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    To be fair to the NFL they are paying the refs 6 figures to work part time.

    Blood Bowl dice are more predictable than NFL refs.

    ElvenshaeTicaldfjamPailryderzepherinShadowenMechMantisMvrck
  • chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    zepherin wrote: »
    To be fair to the NFL they are paying the refs 6 figures to work part time.

    Blood Bowl dice are more predictable than NFL refs.

    I mean, thats a high bar to set. Everytime I roll for injury = instant death.

    chrono_traveller on
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
    Elvenshaezepherin
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I was only saying that the NFL pays full time prices for refs with per game bonuses. And having them futz about during the spring and summer doesn’t change that. Not really. It’s not like they can practice. And fall and winter they are exclusively working for the NFL.

    So with these refs, they just aren’t good at their jobs. Or they are. Depends on perspective, but that Greenbay game was bizarre.

    ShadowhopeButters
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    I was only saying that the NFL pays full time prices for refs with per game bonuses. And having them futz about during the spring and summer doesn’t change that. Not really. It’s not like they can practice. And fall and winter they are exclusively working for the NFL.

    So with these refs, they just aren’t good at their jobs. Or they are. Depends on perspective, but that Greenbay game was bizarre.

    Not from what I've read. Most of them have some flexibility in their workplaces (either their own business, or senior management), but at least as of around when the ref strike happened, there were reports that most of them lead "full time" jobs during the regular season too.

    And I disagree that they can't "practice" in the off-season, if that's a reason for not being full-time. Sure, there's nothing like live game experience, but every year generates 17*(16+3)+8+8+4+2+1= 346 games, with an average run time of 3hrs, 2hrs condensed, with multiple camera angles and rewinds for a full review, is almost 700 hrs of footage generated annually.

    That's not accounting for meetings and briefings and the like for rules analysis and seminars on what the league wants for stuff.

    Honestly, the fact that most referees by nature of the work tend to be well-off "professionals", rather than people who make a career out of being a referee, because a regular guy can't get the time off work needed to be a referee, is reason enough to make it a full time job.

    ElvenshaePailryder
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Hell, just for their training, they should all wear GoPros or bodycams. That's a good way to determine what each ref is looking at, and if that's right. This can just be for internal use.

    But I'm pretty sure the networks would demand live access to this new camera angle.

    PailryderShadowhopemaraji
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    zepherin wrote: »
    I was only saying that the NFL pays full time prices for refs with per game bonuses. And having them futz about during the spring and summer doesn’t change that. Not really. It’s not like they can practice. And fall and winter they are exclusively working for the NFL.

    So with these refs, they just aren’t good at their jobs. Or they are. Depends on perspective, but that Greenbay game was bizarre.

    Not from what I've read. Most of them have some flexibility in their workplaces (either their own business, or senior management), but at least as of around when the ref strike happened, there were reports that most of them lead "full time" jobs during the regular season too.

    And I disagree that they can't "practice" in the off-season, if that's a reason for not being full-time. Sure, there's nothing like live game experience, but every year generates 17*(16+3)+8+8+4+2+1= 346 games, with an average run time of 3hrs, 2hrs condensed, with multiple camera angles and rewinds for a full review, is almost 700 hrs of footage generated annually.

    That's not accounting for meetings and briefings and the like for rules analysis and seminars on what the league wants for stuff.

    Honestly, the fact that most referees by nature of the work tend to be well-off "professionals", rather than people who make a career out of being a referee, because a regular guy can't get the time off work needed to be a referee, is reason enough to make it a full time job.
    Yeah, but NFL Refs make upwards of 200k a year*. They can just be refs if they want too. They don't need to take time off of their work. That's a choice not a force. And the NFL during the 2019 was in discussions to make 20% of their refs full time, but that fell apart for some reason.


    *Hard to find official sources on this. Everyone says it was from the 2019 expired cba but I couldn't find the CBA, and I spent upwards of 10 minutes looking for it. Which is a Herculean effort.

    MorganVShadowenmaraji
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    zepherin wrote: »
    I was only saying that the NFL pays full time prices for refs with per game bonuses. And having them futz about during the spring and summer doesn’t change that. Not really. It’s not like they can practice. And fall and winter they are exclusively working for the NFL.

    So with these refs, they just aren’t good at their jobs. Or they are. Depends on perspective, but that Greenbay game was bizarre.

    Not from what I've read. Most of them have some flexibility in their workplaces (either their own business, or senior management), but at least as of around when the ref strike happened, there were reports that most of them lead "full time" jobs during the regular season too.

    And I disagree that they can't "practice" in the off-season, if that's a reason for not being full-time. Sure, there's nothing like live game experience, but every year generates 17*(16+3)+8+8+4+2+1= 346 games, with an average run time of 3hrs, 2hrs condensed, with multiple camera angles and rewinds for a full review, is almost 700 hrs of footage generated annually.

    That's not accounting for meetings and briefings and the like for rules analysis and seminars on what the league wants for stuff.

    Honestly, the fact that most referees by nature of the work tend to be well-off "professionals", rather than people who make a career out of being a referee, because a regular guy can't get the time off work needed to be a referee, is reason enough to make it a full time job.
    Yeah, but NFL Refs make upwards of 200k a year*. They can just be refs if they want too. They don't need to take time off of their work. That's a choice not a force. And the NFL during the 2019 was in discussions to make 20% of their refs full time, but that fell apart for some reason.


    *Hard to find official sources on this. Everyone says it was from the 2019 expired cba but I couldn't find the CBA, and I spent upwards of 10 minutes looking for it. Which is a Herculean effort.

    But what's the career track to do so? I doubt that the prior experience necessary to get the qualifications needed to be an NFL referee are lucrative positions in their own right.

    It's like the argument that anyone can get the chance to move into a high level corporate job by working as an unpaid intern for X months. Except unless you're already wealthy (or have parents that will support you), you can't afford to do so.

    Captain Inertia
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Also is that $200k the annualized run rate of a game check

    Captain Inertia on
  • PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    The most glaring issue is that NO ONE seems to be happy with the way calling is done right now and everyone is looking for changes but the fundamental issue is that the system in place isn't even a real system. Professional sports using part-time refs would be a joke anywhere else. Then again, now i'm wondering about other sports like soccer and baseball, hmmm.

    unrelated, i found this pretty funny although i wish i could have found the original
    https://www.reddit.com/r/nflmemes/comments/r5rxp5/watching_a_swedish_woman_guess_nfl_team_names/

    Elvenshae
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    MorganV wrote: »
    zepherin wrote: »
    MorganV wrote: »
    zepherin wrote: »
    I was only saying that the NFL pays full time prices for refs with per game bonuses. And having them futz about during the spring and summer doesn’t change that. Not really. It’s not like they can practice. And fall and winter they are exclusively working for the NFL.

    So with these refs, they just aren’t good at their jobs. Or they are. Depends on perspective, but that Greenbay game was bizarre.

    Not from what I've read. Most of them have some flexibility in their workplaces (either their own business, or senior management), but at least as of around when the ref strike happened, there were reports that most of them lead "full time" jobs during the regular season too.

    And I disagree that they can't "practice" in the off-season, if that's a reason for not being full-time. Sure, there's nothing like live game experience, but every year generates 17*(16+3)+8+8+4+2+1= 346 games, with an average run time of 3hrs, 2hrs condensed, with multiple camera angles and rewinds for a full review, is almost 700 hrs of footage generated annually.

    That's not accounting for meetings and briefings and the like for rules analysis and seminars on what the league wants for stuff.

    Honestly, the fact that most referees by nature of the work tend to be well-off "professionals", rather than people who make a career out of being a referee, because a regular guy can't get the time off work needed to be a referee, is reason enough to make it a full time job.
    Yeah, but NFL Refs make upwards of 200k a year*. They can just be refs if they want too. They don't need to take time off of their work. That's a choice not a force. And the NFL during the 2019 was in discussions to make 20% of their refs full time, but that fell apart for some reason.


    *Hard to find official sources on this. Everyone says it was from the 2019 expired cba but I couldn't find the CBA, and I spent upwards of 10 minutes looking for it. Which is a Herculean effort.

    But what's the career track to do so? I doubt that the prior experience necessary to get the qualifications needed to be an NFL referee are lucrative positions in their own right.

    It's like the argument that anyone can get the chance to move into a high level corporate job by working as an unpaid intern for X months. Except unless you're already wealthy (or have parents that will support you), you can't afford to do so.
    Generally it’s college refereeing which pays ok. 30k-60k. And before that either high school referee or well known player. But what’s the career track to any ref. How much is a red for the club level leagues paid or AAA ball paid, or college basketball. Pretty much any professional sport its not a career track to get there. And that wasn’t the point. Why are we giving a shit how referee career tracks? only they are paid a full time salary and are not doing their jobs well.

    zepherin on
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    The most glaring issue is that NO ONE seems to be happy with the way calling is done right now and everyone is looking for changes but the fundamental issue is that the system in place isn't even a real system. Professional sports using part-time refs would be a joke anywhere else. Then again, now i'm wondering about other sports like soccer and baseball, hmmm.

    unrelated, i found this pretty funny although i wish i could have found the original
    https://www.reddit.com/r/nflmemes/comments/r5rxp5/watching_a_swedish_woman_guess_nfl_team_names/

    LMAO.

    Remember, safety is everyone's concern. We have gone five days without a workplace death.
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I thought the NFL wanted them to be full-time and that was a contention with the refs that led to the strike?

    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Butters wrote: »
    I thought the NFL wanted them to be full-time and that was a contention with the refs that led to the strike?
    2012 the strike/lockout was just shit pay. And it was. 2019 it was brought up in negotiations, but there wasn’t a strike it was just a point that was brought up but died.

    Actually the NFL Refs are a very good example of strikes being successful.

    zepherin on
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    It helps that they have other, often better paying, jobs.

    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
    RedTideMunkus Beaver
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    The most important thing needed is negative reinforcement for poor performance.

  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    The most important thing needed is negative reinforcement for poor performance.

    Dinner with Aikman at Urban’s Chop House

    TicaldfjamHappylilElfButtersH3KnucklesPailryderchrono_travellerElvenshae
  • TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    The most important thing needed is negative reinforcement for poor performance.

    Dinner with Aikman at Urban’s Chop House

    Prime "Grim Men's Evening".

    Captain InertiaAuralynx
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I stopped doing fantasy a while ago, but
    @heykayadams #WhichGuyWednesday hey Kay with QB Aaron Rodgers on a bye this week who should I start in his place this week QB Patrick Mahomes vs the Denver Broncos or QB Carson Wentz vs the Houston Texans I don't know who to go with need your advice Kay #GMFB #WhichGuyWednesday

    this guy has no running back, right? Like he might now that so many stars are hurt but still

  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    It doesn't matter who is selected. The other QB will have the better game and he'll bitch about it for the following six days.

    A Dabble Of TheloniusToxzepherinchrono_travellerBlackDragon480H3Knucklesmaraji
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    After what went down last week and considering their next opponent is second-worst in run defense, I expect the Colts-Texans game to be the Jonathan Taylor show. Indy was overly cautious against Tampa but they wont be against Houston.

    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    TicaldfjamMulletude
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    I stopped doing fantasy a while ago, but
    @heykayadams #WhichGuyWednesday hey Kay with QB Aaron Rodgers on a bye this week who should I start in his place this week QB Patrick Mahomes vs the Denver Broncos or QB Carson Wentz vs the Houston Texans I don't know who to go with need your advice Kay #GMFB #WhichGuyWednesday

    this guy has no running back, right? Like he might now that so many stars are hurt but still
    Sometimes you have an amazing once in a lifetime draft on auction and your team is just fucking stacked.

    m059hql2q89p.jpeg

    PailryderBlackDragon480ToxH3Knucklestzeentchlingmaraji
  • CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Hawks just signed Adrian Petersen to practice squad. Ugh.

    Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
    zepherinElvenshaeBlackDragon480TicaldfjamknitdanGnizmo
  • TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    Hawks just signed Adrian Petersen to practice squad. Ugh.

    fucking Vulcans. Why Seattle?
    Fuck it, fire Pete and management, Trade Russ for Tua since management is in a "don't give a fuck.", mode and sell the team to Bezos.

    Return to a decade plus of Suck for the Hawks shortly.

    Ticaldfjam on
Sign In or Register to comment.