As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV]: Endwalker! Game sales resume Jan. 25th. USE SPOILER TAGS.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Lalafel brought capitalism to the world and for this they can never be forgiven

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    simulacrum wrote: »
    lala rule actually

and if you don't agree the lala will stab you in the night

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Kana wrote: »
    lala rule actually

and if you don't agree the lala will stab you in the night

Bring it on I'm always hungry for potatoes.

You think Au Ra are vegetarians with these fangs? I'll tear 'em up.

Madican on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    look only dunesfolk are evil

plainsfolk are alright

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    The beast tribes in the various expansions mostly get done better/are more sympathetic
    I didn't do any research about anything before building my character, just tried to infer things from the descriptions the game provided, because I'm a fuckin' shmuck

I rolled Elf because I thought Elves were gonna be the Fantasy Natives, because that's usually a safe bet. But it turns out they're Fantasy Catholic, whoops

Picked Thaumaturge because it's fun to be a glass cannon, and then it turns out I gotta deal with a bunch of Lalafell dudes, arguably the most viscerally and inherently repellant fantasy race I've encountered in a good long time, whoops

You'll get a free character re-customization potion somewhere around lvl 50 iirc.

Also the Duskwight Eledin are kinda the fantasy natives, they've lived in the Gridania area for thousands of years.

They also got fucked over BY Gridania harder than anybody. They're culture is basically gone and they are viewed as dangerous outsiders by default.

The game also barely every brings this up and theres like, 2 major duskwight NPCs in the whole game :rotate:. The moon M'quote are in a very similar boat.

It's for a month of sub time, isn't it?

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I've no idea

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    lala rule actually

I completed a multi-continental quest whose reward was a magic aesthetician turning a "dowdy" child into a "hot" child, and it's the closest I've come to quitting the game and I'm not kidding

• Options
    it used to be, now it's your reward for finishing 2.0

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    lala rule actually

I completed a multi-continental quest whose reward was a magic aesthetician turning a "dowdy" child into a "hot" child, and it's the closest I've come to quitting the game and I'm not kidding

The game really can't seem to decide if Lalas are a race of short-statured people or literal children, and the answer is always whatever is most convenient for any given scene. Nanamo is 21 and acts 8, but then you've got Yuyuhase who looks 8 but is actually 45.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    You must know some weird 8 year olds

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    "Nanamo acts 8" is a weird-ass take.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    i also want raubahn to carry me

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    Delzhand wrote: »
    lala rule actually

The game really can't seem to decide if Lalas are a race of short-statured people or literal children, and the answer is always whatever is most convenient for any given scene. Nanamo is 21 and acts 8, but then you've got Yuyuhase who looks 8 but is actually 45.

Well no it's not that they don't know, they know exactly what they're doing with Lalas - everything about them aesthetically is generally run as adorable as can be but as far as the story goes they are played completely straight-faced. You'll have some cutesy Lala named like Popoto Poto actually be the most genocidal person on the continent if you let them into a cutscene.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    I don't remember any instances of lalafells acting like children. they do a good job contrasting their appearance with how they act and sound. japanese pipen had to be an intentional troll

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Nanamo can seem a bit childish because she's a sheltered princess I suppose

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Also shit I completely forgot that one of the Au Ra variants are also fantasy natives but with a Mongolian bent. Does that count?

• Options
    stormblood attempts to deal with colonization and the effects of it. maybe not in a good way, but it makes an attempt.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    the game has a lot to say about colonization overall, which makes the parts where it doesn't really stick out more

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    It's weird to contrast 10 year old ffxiv content with more recent stuff. My partner plays a bit of free trial sometimes and it's so weird to see the main cast appear in cutscenes and they're just nothing like the characters I interact with in EW.

Makes it hard to encourage people to try this game. If they hate ARR you can't really tell them to just spend 40 more hours with it, but also: the game does start telling far more interesting stories after that.

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    A few weeks and 155 ranked games later, I finally got the 1600 mahjong rating achievement to get the orchestrion roll my for my house.
    TuB1cyQ.png

Now, undistracted by that quest, perhaps I can get back to that savage raid PFing I'd been working on beforehand.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    the way """civilized nations""" deal with """""beast tribes"""" is like, a major throughline of the entire game from the moment you hit create character until the endwalker credits roll.

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    the way """civilized nations""" deal with """""beast tribes"""" is like, a major throughline of the entire game from the moment you hit create character until the endwalker credits roll.

Yeah. From Stormblood especially, the game is very much on the “wait, this is fucked up and arbitrary” train.

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Well I've hit 90 on every crafting job, made myself a set of 90 crafting and gathering gear, melded as much materia as I care to into each, and I have no idea what to do with myself now.

Maybe try a new job? Summoner? Try a healer for the first time ever?

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    How many combat classes do y'all main/have at 90/whatever?

• Options
    edited February 2022
    1, RDM

I do have MCH on a button though to make use of free Peloton for city travel though

Madican on
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    8 at 90, though though two of those are SCH/SMN which is a bit of a free roll. I play BRD like 95% of the time; the rest were leveled mostly for role quests and then MCH + DNC just in case they randomly broke BRD in one of the pre savage balance patches. Not in a real rush for the rest since I have something for each role now.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Uh... I main SCH/SMN but I've got others capped for role quests. I play a lot casually in content.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »
    How many combat classes do y'all main/have at 90/whatever?

The healers, SMN, DRG, BRD. I've got RDM pretty close, after that I'll try and get a tank leveled just to have all the roles covered. I won't be done capping classes before 6.1 at the very earliest because there's a couple classes I'll be slow rolling via MSQ and PvP roulette.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    4 combat classes at 90, fifth coming up, sixth when I'm done with gearing a bunch of them.

• Options
    So far I only have PLD and WHM at 90, with PLD the only one gathering any 590/600 gear. Everything else is waiting to level up but hasn't been a high priority yet.

• Options
    I have flexed a lot so I tend to have one of every role ready to go

• Options
    SiracSirac Registered User regular
    So far, 11. All ranged DPS, all magic DPS, RPR and DRG, GNB, SGE, and SCH (because of SMN). Just started on MNK yesterday.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Just RDM so far.

NIN is at 89.8 or so. I always have to level NIN after my main because back in HW I made the mistake of thinking "Heh, wouldn't it be funny if the combat retainer that does all my marketboard business was a Rogue Lala?" so now I've always got to level NIN so that retainer can hit cap sooner.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

Yeah. From Stormblood especially, the game is very much on the “wait, this is fucked up and arbitrary” train.

There's a diagetic essay in the second lore book that's basically "the term 'beast tribe' is racist and colonialist".

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    So I'm the only person who plays only one job huh.

• Options
    I used to, back in ARR. but now it's real handy to be able to swap roles whenever

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    DRG, RPR, RDM, MCH and DNC all at 90. I previously got SAM to 80 but don't like it enough to keep going. Likewise, DNC stops here, I don't need two aiming jobs. I have to decide between DRK and PLD for my tank job going forward, likewise between WHM and SGE

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I've got WAR, DRK and PLD at 88, everything else at 90.

• Options
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I level everything eventually and actually play white mage, warrior, dancer, black mage, reaper, dark knight and ninja.

BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.