As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Tech] It's for grownups! And sometimes kids!

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Wow I gotta say, this new kindle is nice. The screen is a bit bigger and I'm really enjoying the flush screen. Whats crazy is how fast the page turns are though. My 1st gen paperwhite has a noticeable lag when changing pages, about as long as it would to flip an actual page. This new one has the page changed before I can get my eyes back up to the top of the screen.

Overall a solid upgrade so far. Only issue is that I miss the slightly squared bottom middle of the old one, where the charger and power button were. I enjoyed the extra bit of shape there when holding it.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Slacker71Slacker71 subgenius RentonRegistered User regular
    There is someone with my name and similar hotmail.com address in Nebraska that I received the OnStar notices from their truck and rental car receipts.

I was also getting Knights of Columbus meeting notices and such until I replied rather rudely to.

The strangest one is someone in Brazil is attempting to use the same address, but I don't even bother to attempt to translate the Portugues.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    A couple of weeks ago the elderly gentleman who lives in Malta who gives out my email address all the time attempted to email himself a poem, only for it to end up in my inbox,

I felt weird calling attention to it so I just ignored it.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    There's a guy with my name in Iowa who runs a bed and breakfast and signed up Trump donation emails so that's fun.

• Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    I get emails for some guy named Michael Moore. Not that Michael Moore though. Almost exclusively about his internet: bills, updates, etc

He also apparently likes to torrent copyrighted material and has been warned a bunch of times for it.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    There is a worldwide network of people who share my name and think they have my email address, I even got some confidential legal paperwork the other day.

The pressing question is of course what are all their actual email addresses? Do they have to go through the procedure of signing up to every new service with my address, sitting around for a couple of hours while confirmation emails don't arrive before remembering?

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    There is a worldwide network of people who share my name and think they have my email address, I even got some confidential legal paperwork the other day.

The pressing question is of course what are all their actual email addresses? Do they have to go through the procedure of signing up to every new service with my address, sitting around for a couple of hours while confirmation emails don't arrive before remembering?

I had someone do this with my gmail account and Instagram. First time I just deleted the account, but within a day it was signed up again. So this time I changed the password and resigned myself that Facebook is going to mistakenly think forever that I care one shit about Instagram.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Sort of tech related, in that a lot of people apparently haven’t mastered this new email technology yet:

I’ve come to realize that hoarding all the variations of my first name + last name on gmail 15 years ago was maybe a mistake. I own first.last at gmail.com, as well as shortenedfirst.last and first.middleinitial.last. And on gmail it disregards dots, so I also get email sent to firstlast, shortendfirstlast, etc.

Over the last couple of years it has gotten to the point that I’m getting at least a dozen emails every week that are intended for other people with my name. Mostly from dummies who forget the middle initial in their email, or forget that their email is actually at yahoo or aol or Verizon or whatever instead of at gmail.

Sometimes I can reach out and get people to go fix it. Sometimes I have to reply all to a church mailing list that’s getting a dozen replies an hour telling them to remove my fucking email nowwwwwwww please.

And in the worst case I had to log into someone’s food delivery account and cancel their account because there was no option to stop receiving emails or even change the email on the account.

Sometimes I hate modern life.

A few years back, someone emailed me a tax return for a person with my same first initial and last name.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    apparently that new "Spaces" feature is just dominated by white supremacists so... good luck, new guy

So Spaces has unsurprisingly turned into a place for people named "Adolf H" to talk about how Black people are monkeys (this literally happened) and a bunch of people (including me) are finding that the abuse reporting features are broken. Disgraceful.

yeaahhhhh this has not been fun

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    What is "spaces"

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    What is "spaces"

Another Twitter feature nobody wanted where people can hold live conversations with an audience of Twitter followers.

The only good use of it is the Fullcast After Dark live college football podcast recordings.

I clicked on it on the first day the button appeared to see what was in there and all I saw was NFT shills, conspiracy shit, and weird racist stuff.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Slightly related, British regulators have ordered Facebook to sell Giphy again
    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/30/facebook-owner-meta-told-to-sell-giphy-as-uk-regulator-blocks-acquisition.html

• Options
    I must say, I really hate our current situation of having three main options for keeping in touch with people and engaging with hobby communities

And two of them are owned by the same corp

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I must say, I really hate our current situation of having three main options for keeping in touch with people and engaging with hobby communities

And two of them are owned by the same corp

And the fact that Twitter is, in a lot of ways, the best of the three is really goddamn fuckass sad.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Discord exists though

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    Discord exists though

Literally no one I know uses discord

I use Facebook primarily discuss archery stuff in a couple groups, and sometimes to see what my cousins, who live all over the country, are doing

I use Instagram to follow and talk with other archers

I know one archer who lives within 100 miles of me

Dropping Facebook and Instagram from my life would inconvenience no one but my acquaintances and myself

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Discord has its uses, but yeah for casually interacting with not-very-online hobbies it's pretty lacking

• Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    NEW: Twitter bans sharing images or videos of private individuals without their permission.

The new Twitter rule appears to be in place to prevent doxing and harassment, however the language is very broad.

"We would take into consideration wether the image is publicly available and/or is being covered my mainstream / traditional media"

Twitter going full draconian with its new rules, using it to target independent journos and antifash activists who unmask white supremacists is probably where we're headed soon. So strike another big tech company gleefully aiding our descent to christofascist death cult.

Midnite on
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Anyone have much experience with Bluetooth conference speakers? I'm looking to buy something small to facilitate my family's cross-country Skype etc sessions for the holidays, am looking at Poly Sync 20, Jabra Speak 50, Anker Powerconf presently.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    A couple of weeks ago the elderly gentleman who lives in Malta who gives out my email address all the time attempted to email himself a poem, only for it to end up in my inbox,

I felt weird calling attention to it so I just ignored it.

One day you'll stop getting those emails and will wonder if something happened or?

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Getting worried about the welfare of an old man who lives on an island halfway around the world because you miss their accidental email poems is the first step into some serious Wes Anderson shit.

And honestly? I'm here for it.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I went through my "random stuff I don't have an immediate use for but don't know if I should throw out yet" drawer today. Technology's weird, y'all.

I have like four different Samsung Galaxy phones, including a 20+ that I stopped using because it started bulging but for some reason didn't decide to throw out when I switched to a Pixel. It hasn't gotten worse, so maybe I need to check if it's actually just the glue that's come undone or something.

I have a 2 TB external harddrive just lying around, I have an Icy Box external HDD with an Ubuntu installer on it, but the drive keeps ka-thunk'ing out every five seconds, and I have an external harddrive that has less capacity than anything mentioned so far, including the phones, but could probably kill a person if thrown from a second story window.

I have a Creative Zen and an iPod Touch, and a really crappy Logitech wireless speaker in a boombox format with an iPod dock. I have a gold Nintendo 3DS and a Playstation Vita including weird proprietary charger because Sony.

I have a set of Marshall headphones with square earcups, a real cheap Wacom tablet (or knockoff) that I lost the pen to, a TASCAM audio recorder I bought second-hand and have never actually used, a Western Digital video player and a Creative Vado HD pocket cam that still has the raw footage of the YouTube skits I recorded with it 10 years ago.

Gonna be a farewell to the Wacom, the Icy Box, the chungus HDD and the Logitech speakers and maybe the Creative Vado if the battery is dead and probably the Creative Zen because I don't have the proprietary charger cable anymore.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Anyone have much experience with Bluetooth conference speakers? I'm looking to buy something small to facilitate my family's cross-country Skype etc sessions for the holidays, am looking at Poly Sync 20, Jabra Speak 50, Anker Powerconf presently.

We use the Jabra Speak 510 and 710 at work, I have had no issues with either. Sound's fine, no echoing, no problem with setup. Haven't tried the others, though.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Does anyone know about these Raspberry Pi Taco servers?

https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/2021/i-built-5000-raspberry-pi-server-yes-its-ridiculous

Would it be a good place to start for a homebrew plex server? Obviously on a much smaller/cheaper scale than 8tb flash drives.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

source: random twitter user screenshotting a real article from Futurism
    Article title reads:
    In Leaked Email, Elon Musk Says SpaceX Is Facing Bankruptcy
    https://futurism.com/leaked-elon-musk-spacex-email-bankruptcy
    There's a part of me that feels like this is too good to be true, and that the bankruptcy that could happen is the one that doesn't actually hurt rich people

But I want to believe Musk will finally face at least a smidgen of consequences

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    It looks like a neat novelty, but that's about it. You can get get more capable setup for much less. Even the article admits the Pi isn't fast enough to maintain decent throughput on the storage array, and Plex is going to require more power as well for transcoding.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Also worth noting, Raspberry Pi’s are currently wildly out of stock outside of scalpers/price gougers.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    SpaceX facing bankruptcy seems highly improbable.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    If we can put a man on the moon then we can bankrupt a SpaceX, goddangit.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    how's that for-profit private sector treating you, spaceflight R&D? Oh, not working out? huh how about that

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Nah, Stilts is right. It seems entirely likely that they're going to do that rich corporate version of bankruptcy where instead of ruining your life, you somehow get to wipe out a bunch of money you owe people and you get to keep all your shit and then it's just Monday and you're in the black again.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Corporate bankruptcy is very, very different than personal.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Oh, it's either Musk fucking with stock prices again or some kind of accounting bullshit for sure. If SpaceX was actually in need of cash they could just raise prices and still have people buying every rocket they could build - they've fairly effectively out-competed the entire industry on price. And of course investors would happily throw money at them for basically the same reason.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Corporate bankruptcy is very, very different than personal.

I'm not bankrupt, my imaginary friend made of my money is the one who's bankrupt. And he's dead now.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    repeated errors with adobe and windows update caused me to reformat my laptop

while I'm at it I decided to finally move away from Chrome which has, with its new profile sign in feature, become insufferable to me

are there any must have add-ons for the browser besides things like ad blockers?

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »

We use the Jabra Speak 510 and 710 at work, I have had no issues with either. Sound's fine, no echoing, no problem with setup. Haven't tried the others, though.

I can second this. We use Jabras at work (don't know which ones specifically), they are good. I also have Jabra BT earbuds, which are also good, so personally I'd go with Jabra. They seem to have figured their stuff out.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I need you to tell me that that's CG and not real.

Lie if you have to.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I always liked Gerty from Moon. Just give me a flat screen with an emoji faces.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I always liked Gerty from Moon. Just give me a flat screen with an emoji faces.

Yeah without Kevin Spacey though

This discussion has been closed.