Options

[Tech] It's for grownups! And sometimes kids!

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    I can't use Discord because I don't like anime

but Butters-chan, you are an anime

uguu~

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    nani?!

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Bit the bullet and finally ordered a new apple watch. With the health problems ive had lately being able to track heart rate and o2 will be very useful. Also ordered an at home blood pressure tester. I go back to the doc in 4 weeks and im hoping having some data to present will be useful.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    New Android update.

Do not like it

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    Tech thread I need help:

ZINOW9d.png

What is this awful shit? Why did this appear when I restarted my pc? How do I make it go away forever? Whose idea was this and why aren't being tried in The Hague?

(Not the search bar, the clip art like I'm working on a fucking Leapfrog laptop)

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Right-click the taskbar, go to the Search menu, click on “Show Search Highlights” to remove it.

• Options
    Thanks!

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    As someone who doesn't have Twitter, I don't see why Twitter is such a big deal. I know it is, and I know I must be missing something, but I have no clue what that is.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    furlion wrote: »
    As someone who doesn't have Twitter, I don't see why Twitter is such a big deal. I know it is, and I know I must be missing something, but I have no clue what that is.

Global gossip.

As it once ruled the neighborhood, it now rules the world.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular

Global gossip.

But it seems more than that to some? Like a lot of content creators use it as a way to find new business for example. Like furlion, I don't get why other communication methods don't work, but if you want to make a living in the post-web2.0 world, it seems like you need to have Twitter or Instagram AND Twitch or Discord.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    twitter is one of the less nakedly fucked up social media sites out there, i think thats part of its appeal

1) you have a fairly high degree of control over what you see

2) you can more or less disable the algorithms entirely with a button right on the main page, something nearly no other site allows you to do

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Jasconius wrote: »
    twitter is one of the less nakedly fucked up social media sites out there, i think thats part of its appeal

1) you have a fairly high degree of control over what you see

2) you can more or less disable the algorithms entirely with a button right on the main page, something nearly no other site allows you to do

they keep trying really hard to disable both of those features

just trying to do anything they can to remove a linear chronological timeline of the posts you've requested

instead would you like to see this controversial take from some jackass you don't follow or even know about Johnny Depp and Amber Heard

I think you'll engage with it

Brolo on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

Musk has had to pay tens of millions in fines for harming his own Tesla shareholders with mad tweets. If he successfully acquires Twitter and takes it private, he can theoretically short his company's stock without consequence.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular

Musk has had to pay tens of millions in fines for harming his own Tesla shareholders with mad tweets. If he successfully acquires Twitter and takes it private, he can theoretically short his company's stock without consequence.

I do not follow this. If Musk posts something on Twitter that violates the law and it affects Tesla's stock price, he's still open to fines and shareholder lawsuits.

I have no idea what you're suggesting here

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

Twitter weren't the ones that fined him.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2022

Global gossip.

But it seems more than that to some? Like a lot of content creators use it as a way to find new business for example. Like furlion, I don't get why other communication methods don't work, but if you want to make a living in the post-web2.0 world, it seems like you need to have Twitter or Instagram AND Twitch or Discord.

But isnt that the same as telling everyone in the neighborhood what you can do and one of them goes oh I need that?

Its just a lot bigger pool of people.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Narbus wrote: »

I do not follow this. If Musk posts something on Twitter that violates the law and it affects Tesla's stock price, he's still open to fines and shareholder lawsuits.

As I understand it, taking Twitter off a public exchange takes his Tweets off the SEC's radar. Shareholders would have to fight him directly in court which I imagine would be preferable to Musk.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Twitter is still a public avenue of communication, which is the part the SEC cares about

Is Musk saying shit that affects stock values in a public place broadcast to many people? Then it's relevant to SEC rules. The ownership status of the media he uses to make that speech as a publically traded or privately held entity is not relevant.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited April 2022

As I understand it, taking Twitter off a public exchange takes his Tweets off the SEC's radar. Shareholders would have to fight him directly in court which I imagine would be preferable to Musk.

You misunderstand it. Whether or not the platform is publically traded has nothing to do with, and I cannot see a reason why it would. What Elon got in trouble for was publicly lying about company finances so hard that it affected investor behavior. Where he did it, and how that place is funded, doesn't matter for shit.

Narbus on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular

No, that's not the case. It's still a public statement. Just like if he wrote it on Medium, or Mastadon, or where ever else.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    He could sit in his own house and shout it. If it was loud enough, and it effected the stock market, hes in the shit.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    Then I stand corrected.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Then I stand corrected.

Were you sitting when you typed this post though B)

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Then I stand corrected.

Were you sitting when you typed this post though B)

Gottem

• Options
    Now I understand the appeal of Trumpism. I will never admit I'm wrong again.

You did this, Naph. All that happens now is on you

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Now I understand the appeal of Trumpism. I will never admit I'm wrong again.

You did this, Naph. All that happens now is on you

yes hello I am jack chaos, here to kill chaos but in actually, cause it

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular

Musk is buying Twitter so he has greater control over his messaging. He doesn't care if something he tweets is illegal, because he can afford ANY fine the government will levy against him. At this point, paying fines is the cost of doing business.

And being fined for tens of millions doesn't mean a fucking thing at all when you're net worth is north of $250,000,000,000. $250,000,000,000 - 99,999,999 = 249,900,000,001.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Someone please set up a service where you can enter someone's phone number and they'll get an anonymous text telling them to stop texting live photos that are just a three-second loop of them trying to take a still photo of their dinner.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2022/05/stung-by-3-court-losses-isps-stop-fighting-california-net-neutrality-law/

GET SHIT ON EVERY MAJOR ISP IN EXISTENCE.

So what this stands to do is the same thing that happens when California sets its own EPA standards: vendors choose to comply with California rules instead of the federal bare minimum because it's both easier and is the only way to access the state's very lucrative market. Shame we had to do this rather than the goddamn FCC who STILL HAS NOT CONFIRMED A 5TH DEMOCRATIC MEMBER TO BREAK THE 2-2 STANDOFF IT'S ONLY BEEN ALMOST TWO YEARS BIDEN CAN'T BLAME REPUBLICANS FOR THIS ONE..

So yeah a bit of good news for once. The Internet remains neutral.

• Options
  • Options

Coinbase's stock is doing the worst it has ever done. Down over 30 percent today. Down over 50 percent this past week. Down over 84 percent since its IPO. Revenue is down, users are down, total trading volume is down. It won't stop saying #WAGMI though
    I can’t even speak…

Coinbase is the biggest exchange in the U.S. This will have ripple effects around the world. The number of people who will lose everything.

This is what journalists and critics have been worried about.

• Options
    wait who's that looking through the window

• Options
    All day today my idiot crypto-bro acquaintances have been feverishly posting about how this is the best week ever for crypto because a big crash means they can buy way more and get rich when it rebounds.

I mean, I know none of them will ever admit they were wrong because no one gives up the grift, but it sure would be nice to see just once.

• Options
    What in the fuck does WAGMI mean

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    The secret to financial success is to buy low and also buy high because you were late and then hold the dip because its going to go high and also hold the peak because if you sell you will lose money when it goes higher

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular

"We are gonna make it" I think.

• Options
    edited May 2022

"We're All Gonna Make It"

It's a crypto bro saying, like "Diamond Hands" and "To The Moon" and all that dumb shit.

I've literally never seen a crypto bro talk about selling. It's constantly buying. Buying the dips, buying the peaks. I don't know how they get rich, exactly, but it seems like questionable advice.

minor incident on
  • Options
    JK, I know the actual reason they never talk about selling is because they can't have other people getting any ideas about dumping their coin. Gotta keep pumping up that market.

• Options
    I wish crypto would crash into worthlessness

Especially when crypto bullshit is goddamned everywhere right now

It would be really amusing

• Options
This discussion has been closed.