As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Update your resume to get a new [Job] thread

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Ok, I feel dumb. I was sent a PDF to fill out, but I can't find any way to fill it out? Downloaded it, opened it in the basic version of both Bluebeam and Adobe. Is there something I'm missing here?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    they might not have saved it as an editable document - that's something you have to check on export. So this is probably on them.

If you have a mac, Preview will let you edit/write on PDFs. Otherwise, I think LibreOffice has that functionality but I could be wrong.

• Options
    tynic wrote: »
    they might not have saved it as an editable document - that's something you have to check on export. So this is probably on them.

If you have a mac, Preview will let you edit/write on PDFs. Otherwise, I think LibreOffice has that functionality but I could be wrong.

Do I email HR and ask if they can resave it as an editable PDF? Or do I just use the signature function to sort of halfass writing over it, or do I print it, hope no one finds it on the printer, hand fill it all out, scan it, and then email it back?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Comcast has made it impossible to turn off ax mode on their gateway. So the clients I've disabled it on before for their old computers now no longer have internet access again.

This shit isn't hard Comcast.

Guess who finally pulled the trigger on getting Xfinity this weekend (in anticipation of switching over from slow, outdated and overpriced DSL from CenturyLink), brought home the kit... and now can't even sign into the app or the website?

My fury, it is incandescent.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

Do I email HR and ask if they can resave it as an editable PDF? Or do I just use the signature function to sort of halfass writing over it, or do I print it, hope no one finds it on the printer, hand fill it all out, scan it, and then email it back?

I would email them, it would save you, and everyone else that needs to do this, time.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Been up since 4 am and haven't been able to catch a nap since I've been on kid duty.

4 year old: "Daddy you look tired"

"I am tired"

"You should have went to bed earlier"

"I went to bed early, but we had a fire at work"

"Oh you should take a nap then"

" I have to watch you two"

"We (her and the two year old) can figure out our own problems"

I can totally trust a four year old right?

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Update: Principal wants to pay me extra to go to school tomorrow to build the new promethean boards. I grudgingly accepted, but then our IT tells me that the stands that we've had since August might be the wrong ones and can't hold the weight of the screens so now maybe I don't have to go. He said other schools also got their boards and started to assemble them and discovered this information so he is checking to see if they are the same.

If this is true then it will probably be months before the stands can get replaced.

:rotate:

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    I start fundamental skills training on the production floor today. And of course I got put in trim and final, so I am internally losing my shit.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Aldo wrote: »

I would email them, it would save you, and everyone else that needs to do this, time.

They said it should be fillable. Is there an easy way to check if it was saved as a fillable PDF and I'm just incompetent?

Edit: Is it normal to be feeling a panic spiral like this?

Brody on

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I got my sick Ralph Ellison Library t-shirt!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Company has a volumetric system for figuring out how much product will fit in a vehicle so that trucks don't get overloaded. Basically, X dryer class takes up Y square footage, make sure to not fill beyond Z measurement so a truck isn't overfull.

There's been a problem with TVs that's been there off and on for.. ever. So now we've got a board with a dude delivering ten TVs that are all between 65 and 75", in a cargo van.

Yeah, that's a problem.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Today every single boys restroom on our campus is closed because our male students continue to destroy the sinks (and other bathroom facilities).

So... The school year continues to go fantastic.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    ...TikTok?

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    ...TikTok?

You didn’t hear about the “take a synchronized dump in all the sinks in your school at once” challenge?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Today every single boys restroom on our campus is closed because our male students continue to destroy the sinks (and other bathroom facilities).

So... The school year continues to go fantastic.

When I student taught we had such a run of bomb threats that my cooperating teacher had to sit outside the restrooms, let kids in one at a time, and check the restroom thoroughly after each kid left to make sure they didn't drop a slip of paper or write a threat on the walls. I basically had no mentor the whole time because they had him playing toilet cop.

• Options
    ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    Really just trying to get by with the minimum amount of service with a smile at work today and tomorrow.

Ultra Thanksgiving Holiday Fridax can't come soon enough.

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    ...TikTok?

You didn’t hear about the “take a synchronized dump in all the sinks in your school at once” challenge?

I still call them Vines to give an indication of how connected I am to the latest culture beats

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    ...TikTok?

I still call them Vines to give an indication of how connected I am to the latest culture beats

I mean, I just call that Monday

• Options

They said it should be fillable. Is there an easy way to check if it was saved as a fillable PDF and I'm just incompetent?

@Brody
    Ok so looks like adobe has an online tool that should help you out

https://www.adobe.com/acrobat/online/pdf-editor.html

And no, I don't think this is incompetence, adobe is an absolute butt about what features are and are not available on their free vs paid software and I think it's possible to make a pdf that is editable in Acrobat but not Reader, for example.

• Options

I just filled it out with Adobe's "Fill & Sign" tool, which wasn't the cleanest, but provides answers to all the required fields, and printed to PDF, now to send it off and hope they don't take this as a sign they should hire someone else.

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    Unless your job title is PDF Ambassador I wouldn't sweat it

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    While I posted that I was waiting to finally get my second jab. And I just got it! Along with flu vaccine.

I really didn't wanna cut it this close to Thanksgiving, but the last couple weeks have been nuts and I figures now that I had a couple days I could afford to be laid up, better to do it now and get it over with.

With any luck it won't zombify me like the first one did.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I refuse to believe anything involving PDFs is anybody's fault but Adobe's.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Gah! I'm fed up of arguing the toss with students over whether they need to wear their labcoats (they do). Or whether I have to kick them out of the workshop when I go home and not let them work till security come round to lock the building up properly (I do).

All because the main tech for the area doesn't enforce said rules. So the students are (rightly) annoyed at the mixed instructions. "But X doesn't make us." Which, yeah sure, but I've been told that I must apply these rules so...

This is a department I only help out in as well. I got voluntold to be workshop cover for the main tech who only works Tues-Fri. And when this started (a couple years ago) I had a discussion with him saying that I don't wanna be standing there looking like a idiot saying one thing whilst he says another so can we just stick to the same page? Knowing he has previous form for just not enforcing things. To which he agreed. That lasted all of two weeks.

And he wants me to help him out on the days he's in but too busy to do it all himself. Well I can't do that without completely losing my stick to the rule thing I do on Mondays. Unless I run round enforcing things whilst he's saying it's not a problem.

He's a nice enough guy to chat to but by God he's an awful cow-orker.

Ashaman42 on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    When I was a student working in a lab, wearing a lab coat was probably the thing I most enjoyed about it. Those students sound weird, I wouldn't trust them.

• Options
    If you can't wear a labcoat and can't wear stupid looking goggles, it's not science

what the hell, kids.

• Options

Nah, but I did send them an email asking if they were supposed to have fillable fields, and was told that they were, so sending back something that I feel like clearly didn't use their anticipated fillable fields makes me look dumb.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    ...TikTok?

I call them Friendsters. Because the vast majority of people will ignore me at that point, and the ones that do will get a lecture on the history of Tiktok, Vine, Myspace, and other companies. And, most importantly, they will NEVER EVER bring up the subject again.
    rs_1756x1024-211029123435-1765-Mark-Prosck-WWDITS-LT-102921-05_WWDITS3_Gallery_Colin.jpg

• Options

Never assume malice when incompetence will suffice.

• Options
    Heffling wrote: »

Never assume malice when incompetence will suffice.

When it comes to Adobe I don't know how you tell the difference

• Options
    edited November 2021

Nah, but I did send them an email asking if they were supposed to have fillable fields, and was told that they were, so sending back something that I feel like clearly didn't use their anticipated fillable fields makes me look dumb.

I doubt they'll give it a second thought. Printing it and hand writing the answers would also have been a perfectly valid option and definitely nobody would have cared then.

tynic on
  • Options
    Now to wonder how HR will react to being asked about my previous/current employee drug test history.

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    In academic job news, I have an on-campus interview for a teaching-focused position that will, obviously, include a mock lecture. It's been nearly two years since I had an in-person course so I'm gonna need to derust for that.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »
    In academic job news, I have an on-campus interview for a teaching-focused position that will, obviously, include a mock lecture. It's been nearly two years since I had an in-person course so I'm gonna need to derust for that.

Seems a bit cruel to make you do a lecture designed to be mocked, but I don't know the first thing about academia, so.

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »

Seems a bit cruel to make you do a lecture designed to be mocked, but I don't know the first thing about academia, so.

On the other hand it's good training for teaching middle-schoolers

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Moriveth wrote: »

On the other hand it's good training for teaching middle-schoolers

Its also a good exercise to see if you can refrain mocking the students.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    If you can't wear a labcoat and can't wear stupid looking goggles, it's not science

what the hell, kids.

I have no idea how she swung it, but in AP Chem my junior year of high school, the teacher (who was in her mid-20's and yet to be jaded and ground down by life) gave us a goal, if everyone in the class got a 4 (on a 1-5 scale) on the AP exam, she promised a big surprise at end of the year.

We accomplished this (the 2 weeks before the test was one of the most brutal cram sessions of my academic life) and she had us design a Rube Goldbergesque device whose only goal was to push a small button which would release a small claw like item she'd set up. Last day of school roles around, we go out to the empty football practice field and see a bucket of water and a blast shield about 20 yards away from it and our elaborate game of Mouse Trap set to release whatever she put in the holder at the end into the water. We all took up position beind the blast shield while our psychotic teacher proceeded to the device and took something out of a container of mineral oil and placed it in the claw.

The item in question wound up being a rather decent chunk of pure cesium, as in 2-3 ounces of the stuff. Once the button was pushed and it dropped, the bucket bifurcated and covered the entire field with a light mist and we went bananas at the joy of alkali metal's reactivity.

One of the best exothermic reactions I've ever witnessed, would take the AP Chem test again to see a repeat.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options

what the hell, kids.

I have no idea how she swung it, but in AP Chem my junior year of high school, the teacher (who was in her mid-20's and yet to be jaded and ground down by life) gave us a goal, if everyone in the class got a 4 (on a 1-5 scale) on the AP exam, she promised a big surprise at end of the year.

We accomplished this (the 2 weeks before the test was one of the most brutal cram sessions of my academic life) and she had us design a Rube Goldbergesque device whose only goal was to push a small button which would release a small claw like item she'd set up. Last day of school roles around, we go out to the empty football practice field and see a bucket of water and a blast shield about 20 yards away from it and our elaborate game of Mouse Trap set to release whatever she put in the holder at the end into the water. We all took up position beind the blast shield while our psychotic teacher proceeded to the device and took something out of a container of mineral oil and placed it in the claw.

The item in question wound up being a rather decent chunk of pure cesium, as in 2-3 ounces of the stuff. Once the button was pushed and it dropped, the bucket bifurcated and covered the entire field with a light mist and we went bananas at the joy of alkali metal's reactivity.

One of the best exothermic reactions I've ever witnessed, would take the AP Chem test again to see a repeat.

That's a lot better than my AP Chem teacher. We had a lab where we were supposed to make soap, and I misread the directions and instead of making 100g of soap, I made a kilogram. When I realized the mistake, I tried to pour the still liquid mixture down the drain. Where it solidified enough to plug the drain before completely emptying the sink.

Knowing I was in trouble, I called the teacher over. Right after I called for her, I pulled on the soap slug and it slid right out of the drain.

So that's how I ended up being sent to the principals office for having a soap dildo.

• Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    My AP chem option was notoriously awful so I didn’t take it.

I did take AP Bio primarily because I was told you could basically 4 the test by showing up, and I did.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited November 2021
    Heffling wrote: »

what the hell, kids.

So that's how I ended up being sent to the principals office for having a soap dildo.

That's certainly a novel approach to hygiene if one were to use it.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai