As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[JRPG]s Are Teambuilding Exercises

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    Why only the third character. Just follow X-2's example and let you field all Pokemon who are exponentially more powerful than the protagonists

You and I play video games for very different reasons.

No we don't. That was a joke.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    If you want FF Pokemon, there's World of Final Fantasy.

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    If you want FF Pokemon, there's World of Final Fantasy.

Played it, beat it, saw the sheer hell that is post game content and ran the other way

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Pokemon is rad though

I do not care for capturing and grinding monsters in place of a party member who could have been given story and purpose.

Boy, you'd really hate core SMT...

I’ve tried and yeah I struggle with them. Didn’t stop me from seeing if I wanted more corn with SMT5 though. Slightly smoother on-ramp but I still probably won’t make it far.

Persona works because the characters are so rich and the MC swapping between like 8 personas that are highly disposable and more like temporary equipped move sets doesn’t bug me the way a more traditional monster capture system does.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Pokemon is rad though

I do not care for capturing and grinding monsters in place of a party member who could have been given story and purpose.

I’ve tried and yeah I struggle with them. Didn’t stop me from seeing if I wanted more corn with SMT5 though. Slightly smoother on-ramp but I still probably won’t make it far.

Persona works because the characters are so rich and the MC swapping between like 8 personas that are highly disposable and more like temporary equipped move sets doesn’t bug me the way a more traditional monster capture system does.

13-2 is still a pretty story heavy game, I just make up my own stories for why the hell Jihl and/or Ultros would be hanging out with these losers.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Only thing Ultros is good for is target practice

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Only thing Ultros is good for is target practice

rb87xcck2a3w.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
  • Options
    Typhon gives me MGP. Ultros just gets Thundajas.

• Options
    Diarmuid wrote: »

I see that and raise you
    https://youtu.be/zRYgA3dNwCE

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Trails are very much games I can't play them without having a guide open nearby in case I miss a super specific time sensitive event that will ruin my perfect grade.

Why I tend to stretch out my playthroughs.

• Options
    BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    I found FF13.. fine? Nothing dire about it, but nothing special either. Just kind of ok.

I liked Sazh.

I tried to jump into 13-2 immediately after and felt like I spent the first hour being barraged with nonsense. Bounced off it hard and never tried 13-3.

Maybe I should give 2 another shot.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Options
    I would give the 13's another chance if they came to PSN

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    they're on gamepass!

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I ain't got the Box

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    they're on gamepass!

Yeah, I would not be doing this if I was dropping thirty bucks a pop

• Options
    they're on gamepass!

I don't have an Xbox and if my PC was capable of running games anymore I already have them on Steam.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I enjoyed FF13 but it was just missing some of my personal favorite parts of the genre. Like doing side stuff and the pretty lackluster and gated progression. And of course my personal biggest disappointment of the game... the few cool end game things to do they decided to lock behind beating despite taking place before that. Which is just a big old middle finger and very bad game design as far as I'm concerned.

The main game was enjoyable though and I liked the combat so that made the above hurt that much more.

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I ain't got the Box

do you have a 'personal computer'

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Pokemon is rad though

Monster capturing is fine when it's the whole thing of the game.

13-2's system just made me wish I had a 3rd party member. Especially since both actual character party members had huge gaps in all their classes' ability lists that you had to fill with rando monsters

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    Pokemon is rad though

I don't hate the SMT games, but I've never actually finished one. I dug the setting of Nocturne and I think SMTIV played well enough in small chunks, but they're really made for people who enjoy the puzzle solving aspect of combat and that just ain't me.

I'm the Persona fan who doesn't claim to be anything else. I tried SMT, I tried Digital Devil Saga, I even played a bit of Imagine, but it turns out that I really like a bit of social life sim/visual novel stuff in my demon fusing RPGs.

Never tried Devil Summoner though. Maybe I should give the Raido games a shot.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    snow is completely narcissistic and practices toxic positivity

it quickly becomes apparent that it's not that he loves serah and wants to save her, but that she is his entire personality and he's willing to feed anybody in his sphere into the woodchipper to get his obsession back rather than deal with his own inadequacies
    nothing about his personality is healthy

he's actually really well written and compelling, but he's a complete piece of shit

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    snow is completely narcissistic and practices toxic positivity

it quickly becomes apparent that it's not that he loves serah and wants to save her, but that she is his entire personality and he's willing to feed anybody in his sphere into the woodchipper to get his obsession back rather than deal with his own inadequacy's
    nothing about his personality is healthy

he's actually really well written and compelling, but he's a complete piece of shit

If I recall, -2 and especially -3 lean super hard into that.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    I own 13 and have never played it

Maybe… I should?????

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Lucedes wrote: »

Maybe… I should?????

I mean, I consider FF13 to be the worst RPG I've ever played, so normally I'd be the dissenting voice here. But if you already paid money for it, I mean, it would be a learning experience at least...

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    13 was my favorite Final Fantasy that I just could not bring myself to finish. I loved the battle system, but lost the will to continue when I finally got to chapter 11 and discovered that all the quests were bog-standard MMORPG style affairs with barely any story issued by what might as well be the exact same character.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    13 was my favorite Final Fantasy that I just could not bring myself to finish. I loved the battle system, but lost the will to continue when I finally got to chapter 11 and discovered that all the quests were bog-standard MMORPG style affairs with barely any story issued by what might as well be the exact same character.

you can also ignore all of them.

I liked 13 a bunch. The characters were great. 13-2's got some good stuff and is worth playing. 13-3 was a lot of fun to play, though the plot is dumb.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Oh god. I am really starting to lose it over all these damn unending block/ring puzzles in Tales of Symphonia. I googled to see if anyone else hated them, and see a bunch of complaining about the worst dungeons...none of which I recognize, because I haven't reached any of the really egregious ones yet, I guess.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Lucedes wrote: »

Maybe… I should?????

FF13 is fun you should play it.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    All I remember of FF13 now is BARTHANDELUS
    I was stuck on that fight at the end of CH11 for a while because I was under leveled I guess and god Lightning would not stop shouting that dude's name

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    P5 Strikers is gonna be one of PSN free games for this month.

I paid full price and enjoyed it so I think it's well worth the admission of free.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »

I paid full price and enjoyed it so I think it's well worth the admission of free.

P5 Strikers is a good game, full stop.

• Options
    Naphtali wrote: »
    All I remember of FF13 now is BARTHANDELUS
    I was stuck on that fight at the end of CH11 for a while because I was under leveled I guess and god Lightning would not stop shouting that dude's name

It's basically part of the song by that point.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »

I was gonna play it Saturday but then I was informed that games for the month don't drop until later in the month and I was very annoyed by that

• Options
    I have a question about SMT V endings
    does anyone know if you have to complete all the of the quests, including defeating Shiva, prior to choosing the Destroy the Throne path to get the special ending, or can you choose that path, and then defeat Shiva between that point and the fight with Abidel?

• Options
    the problem with P5S is it has a truly atrocious first dungeon

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    does anyone know if you have to complete all the of the quests, including defeating Shiva, prior to choosing the Destroy the Throne path to get the special ending, or can you choose that path, and then defeat Shiva between that point and the fight with Abidel?

Pretty sure
    You need to do it prior to the choice. I did everything but Shiva and was not up for it. So I just watched that stuff on youtube later.

• Options
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Tcheldor wrote: »

Pretty sure
    You need to do it prior to the choice. I did everything but Shiva and was not up for it. So I just watched that stuff on youtube later.
    my concern is that grinding for shiva is going to be boring and take a while, and then the rest of the game will be trivial. None of that sounds fun. I suppose it's for a NG+ playthrough, but maaaaan.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I quit playing FF13 when I touched down on the planet.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
This discussion has been closed.