As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[JRPG]s Are Teambuilding Exercises

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Menu might have been a bit of an exaggeration(or maybe not it's been almost two decades) but either way the load times were long af.

I remember giving up finishing it because 1/3 of the way in I realized I missed one of the missable 108 and didn't want to deal with all the loading from the beginning again.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I started Tales of Arise somewhere between Sept. 14th and 30th, and put ~82 hours (plus however many hours of restarts) into it over ~4 months, and finally Platinum-ed it.

It was good at times, and frustrating as hell at times (because of my own inadequacies), but overall it was enjoyable and satisfying.

Post-game spoilers:
    The quest to fight each lord in succession, then all four lords at once, two at a time, then a final boss afterwards, was bullshit.

Fights against one boss were fine, but against multiple targets finding windows to attack one enemy while another stabs you in the back and interrupts and stuns you was terrible.

Ended up turning on the Double Damage artifact and burning the world down before anything could touch me and stun lock me.

I'm thinking I jump into NEO TWEWY, but given the above rate that I complete games (being old, terrible, and working most of the time), I'm certain I won't finish it before Triangle Strategy comes out in March, so I'll probably play it for a bit then drop it and add it to my pile of unfinished games.

• Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    I just beat Arise my self! It was pretty good, though I had a bunch of quibbles with the game's systems. Solid, but won't crack my top 5

It seems like doing end game stuff means a lot of fiddling with crafting accessories, maybe? Which feels like a lot of work

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I'm curious now how heretical my Suikoden order is?

[gap]
    4 (bad)

I haven't finished Tierkreis but I think it'd end up above 3 at minimum unless it has a bad back half.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    My order is basically the same

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Which suikodens take cancel off the fucking triangle button what the absolute hell

• Options
    I swear to myself to myself that one day I'll do a full run-through of all the Suikoden games, Including the two visual novels...

Yes. Absolutely. Promise. IT's definitely gonna happen...

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    I'm curious now how heretical my Suikoden order is?

[gap]
    4 (bad)

I haven't finished Tierkreis but I think it'd end up above 3 at minimum unless it has a bad back half.

You think yours is heretical?

Tierkreis
    Beyond the Beyond
    Quest64

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Never played any of the Suikodens

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Suikoden 3 also deserves a special mention for an absolutely KILLER opening theme song.

That was one of those intros I watched so many damn times as a kid.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Mine is like

2=3

Then I didn't even play 4 cause every suikoden fan I know said it was terrible.

• Options
    Suikoden 4 is dull as shit. There's nothing particular about it that I remember hating, but it just lacks...something.

• Options
    On any given day I might switch 1 and 3, because when it comes down to it 1 hasn't really aged very well but also there is just so much about 3 I do not like, despite really loving a huge portion of the cast

• Options
    Also suddenly the PSP Suikoden game (Woven Web of Centuries) just got a full fan translation...so...that's cool

• Options
    I have the Gaiden games around here somewhere, because I was too much of a maniac way back when

• Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Suikoden 2 is the best and I will fight any of you who disagree.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    More like Suckoden

• Options
    An entire page of Suikodens discourse and the only thing I've learned about any of them is that they're numbered.

• Options
    You lead an army, build up a home base, and recruit up to 108 characters, done

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    An entire page of Suikodens discourse and the only thing I've learned about any of them is that they're numbered.

I only played 2, but it plays like a standard JRPG, but you can get a lot of party members.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Maddoc wrote: »

How do you even keep track of that many people

• Options
    A lot of them do stuff around your base, rather than join you in combat

So like while you recruit Sword Guy 1, 2, and 3, you also recruit a blacksmith, a chef, a gardener, and so on and so forth

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

That's what the base is for! You may be using many of them to take part in large scale army battles/base stuff but only your select favorites for the regular JRPG bits.

• Options
    The series mostly has a premise of a Big Bad in the process of invading a relatively more peaceful region. Your main character gets thrust into the position of being the leader of a resistance group that gradually grows into a legitimate military power. You gain a base fairly early, and as you recruit characters it expands into a full-on town with shops and everything. The first two games offer some very high quality 2d sprite work, and the series as a whole tends to have a fantastic soundtrack.

• Options
    A lot of them do stuff around your base, rather than join you in combat

So like while you recruit Sword Guy 1, 2, and 3, you also recruit a blacksmith, a chef, a gardener, and so on and so forth

Oh so kind of like getting the ship crew together in Skies of Arcadia then. Just on a way bigger scale.

• Options
    Kinda yeah, I think 2 or 5 are still well worth checking out sometime if you really are somewhat interested

• Options
    I'll look into them and see if it catches my interest

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited January 2022

That's the neat part, you don't!

You generally want to use a guide though, especially one that lists them in order of encounter. The Suikoden series is not only fond of having a very large cast, but also making a good portion of that cast permanently missable.

Kinda yeah, I think 2 or 5 are still well worth checking out sometime if you really are somewhat interested

Also worth noting Suikoden 2 and 5 are the most wildly expensive entries in the series, so... yeah. Fortunately you can still get Suikoden 2 as a PSOne classic on the Playstation store via PSP/Vita/PS3. Suikoden 5 never went up digitally.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    Luca Blight from Suikoden 2 still somehow feels more powerful and dangerous than 99% of JRPG villains.

I can't think of any enemy in any game that's ever been treated with that amount of like, respect as a threat, in gameplay terms.
    You attack him with an army and then cycle through three full parties of player characters. And he's just some fucking dude who happens to be the strongest human in the setting, no True Rune or special bullshit powers, he's just too much of an asshole to be defeated.

• Options
    Donnicton wrote: »

That's the neat part, you don't!

You generally want to use a guide though, especially one that lists them in order of encounter. The Suikoden series is not only fond of having a very large cast, but also making a good portion of that cast permanently missable.

Also worth noting Suikoden 2 and 5 are the most wildly expensive entries in the series, so... yeah. Fortunately you can still get Suikoden 2 as a PSOne classic on the Playstation store via PSP/Vita/PS3. Suikoden 5 never went up digitally.

Welp, nevermind then because I don't have any of those options.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Suikoden 2 is the best and I will fight any of you who disagree.

It is the best! But I liked 3 and 5 better.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Luca Blight from Suikoden 2 still somehow feels more powerful and dangerous than 99% of JRPG villains.

I can't think of any enemy in any game that's ever been treated with that amount of like, respect as a threat, in gameplay terms.
    You attack him with an army and then cycle through three full parties of player characters. And he's just some fucking dude who happens to be the strongest human in the setting, no True Rune or special bullshit powers, he's just too much of an asshole to be defeated.
    He has the True Beast Rune at the point you throw your entire army at him, though even before that he was absurdly strong. I agree that the game does a great job establishing him as a threat.

• Options
    I would say if you want to check out the series, you should definitely find some way to play either 2 or 5

• Options

He has the True Beast Rune at the point you throw your entire army at him, though even before that he was absurdly strong. I agree that the game does a great job establishing him as a threat.

I don't think that's quite right.
    True Beast Rune can't be borne by a person, it's sitting in the palace the whole time. He wanted to wake it up and let it kill everyone, but he wasn't walking around empowered by it.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular

I loved him as a villain back when the game came out, but having played the opening hours of the game recently he's just so one note Extreme! evil bad guy. Maybe I just liked that they really amped up the villainy? Who knows.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Septus wrote: »

I loved him as a villain back when the game came out, but having played the opening hours of the game recently he's just so one note Extreme! evil bad guy. Maybe I just liked that they really amped up the villainy? Who knows.

Oh yeah he's a one-note idiot who loves being evil.

Suikoden II just does an incredible job selling him as a threat.

• Options

I don't think that's quite right.
    True Beast Rune can't be borne by a person, it's sitting in the palace the whole time. He wanted to wake it up and let it kill everyone, but he wasn't walking around empowered by it.

Huh! I missed that.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Luca is indeed a badass and man that one should not try to fuck with if they can avoid it.

He's right up there with Lezard Valeth from the first 2 Valkyrie Profile games for best antagonist of that era of PSX and PS2 RPGs.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    The cool thing they do with Luca Blight is
    Killing him does absolutely nothing to stop the war.

This discussion has been closed.