As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[JRPG]s Are Teambuilding Exercises

• Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    It is amazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing and it makes me so happy to see as it's something I would never of expected to exist.

Read the info on the main page (scroll down) to learn all the commands and how to roll a unit (!fight initally since if you're starting out you'll be dirt broke and can't afford to roll a specific class / ability and never assume anything is a sure win cause the AI is sneaky, mean, and at times completely borked.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    So I'm about two weeks into NEO TWEWY and I finished the main story and just have post game + encyclopedia cleanup. I honestly thought this game would keep me occupied until Triangle Strategy came out, especially after it took me 5 months to platinum Tales of Arise.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    The Monark demo is the most generic paint-by-numbers JRPG I've played in a long time, so I made this up for it.
    my07buueq9o2.png

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    The Monark demo is the most generic paint-by-numbers JRPG I've played in a long time, so I made this up for it.
    my07buueq9o2.png

I haven't had much hope for that since the 90 second supposedly combat trailer a couple months back that was only 5 seconds of actual in-game combat that didn't even really make clear anything about the game except "turn based" and "displays numbers." Is it an SRPG? Size of the party? Grid based? Who knows! Watch something besides the combat trailer to find out!

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    my07buueq9o2.png

I haven't had much hope for that since the 90 second supposedly combat trailer a couple months back that was only 5 seconds of actual in-game combat that didn't even really make clear anything about the game except "turn based" and "displays numbers." Is it an SRPG? Size of the party? Grid based? Who knows! Watch something besides the combat trailer to find out!

It's a real time-ish SRPG set in a grid. Nothing exciting, nothing bad.

It's the story that's cookie cutter as possible.
    97xm2swbn1fe.png

Bingo!

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    my07buueq9o2.png

No Dandere? Were they too shy to participate?

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I think the turn wheel has been the best addition to FE in a minute.

It allows me to play with some difficulty but I also don't lose tons of progress cause of one mistake.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    turtleant wrote: »
    Perma death for characters in an RPG just means I'm resetting the game any time it happens because I have limited time and I'm not leveling up a new person from scratch.

Putting in a casual mode was what finally got me deep into Fire Emblem.

The surest sign that I am a damaged person with no control over my life is that I refuse to play Fire Emblem on casual mode and also refuse to continue playing once a character dies.

I just keep resetting rather than use the obvious QOL improvement that's sitting right there for people like me.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    We were traumatized by a glut of games in our youth that refused to show you the "good ending" unless you beat it on hard

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    We were traumatized by a glut of games in our youth that refused to show you the "good ending" unless you beat it on hard

getting the dog ending in SH2 :(

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Nowadays I use Youtube to see endings that get locked behind stupid content restrictions. Like Kingdom Hearts and its demand for 100 Acre Wood minigame perfection.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Nowadays I use Youtube to see endings that get locked behind stupid content restrictions. Like Kingdom Hearts and its demand for 100 Acre Wood minigame perfection.

My god am I glad I just YouTubed the secret ending for FinFan XIII-2 instead of trying to get it, I would've thrown my console out the window

• Options
    Delzhand wrote: »

Obligatory Valkyrie Profile mention.

A game so bizarrely balanced that Easy was the most difficult setting with the least content and locked you out of the good ending, and Hard was the easiest setting with the most content.

Tri-Ace should not be in charge of balancing or testing anything.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited February 2022

My god am I glad I just YouTubed the secret ending for FinFan XIII-2 instead of trying to get it, I would've thrown my console out the window

That one is especially bad too, it's incredibly fickle and borderline nonsensical, in a way that feels designed for a step by step walkthrough

And then it like makes the ending actually worse

EDIT: oh wait, misread that as X-2

Maddoc on
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular

Did you try 13-3? I had a lot of fun w/that one.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Front Mission 1+2 full remakes announced in the Switch Direct.

Interesting.

E:
    LOL
    Followed by "And we're porting Chrono Cross too! With exciting new features like... you can turn off all battles!"

E2:
    Live A Live full remake in the Octopath art style. Definitely worth playing now for those who haven't yet.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Tcheldor wrote: »

It's not on GamePass and now I've fallen in an XIV hole, but I intend to get to it at some point! Genuinely like that world and those characters.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Xenoblade 3.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Give me that Xenoblade 3

• Options
    Tcheldor wrote: »

It's not on GamePass and now I've fallen in an XIV hole, but I intend to get to it at some point! Genuinely like that world and those characters.

I got some bad news

• Options
    oh fuck yeah chrono cross updated version

• Options
    So regarding the Xenoblade 3 trailer (and, seriously, Xenoblade 2 spoilers)
    That's Nia on the title screen, isn't it? Chakrams, her two-tone core... but at the same time her weapon is a sword, Dromarch's the one who summons chakrams. Possibly a descendant? (A distant future would allow for Pneuma changing some of the rules, the consequences of Alvis changing rules, or both...)

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Give me that Xenoblade 3

Once I'm home from work, I'm going to be starting my first playthrough of Xenogears in 20 years.

I'm excited to reunite with Fei, Elly, and Bart.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Except for FF5/6.

Enjoy your upscaled pixels, motherfuckers.

Because you could be sitting in the forgotten trash heap with Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Because you could be sitting in the forgotten trash heap with Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre.

I would throw soooo much money at a gussied up March of the Black Queen. I replay that bad boy at least once a year and still stumble across new wrinkles on things via the tarot system and order of conquest.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Also releasing on the Switch is Mother 1 and Mother 2, the full Mother collection.

• Options
    edited February 2022

I would throw soooo much money at a gussied up March of the Black Queen. I replay that bad boy at least once a year and still stumble across new wrinkles on things via the tarot system and order of conquest.

I don't even necessarily want a remake of them, but a game like Ogre Battle. There's just... nothing at all in that style for the last 20 years. Lufia is definitely something that could use a prettied up remake though.

Valkyrie Profile and Breath of Fire also died the ignominious death of mobile crap as long as I'm futilely complaining, but they're not Squeenix, and I don't think Capcom is making too many RPGs anymore, nor do I trust Tri-Ace to do... well... anything these days.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Also releasing on the Switch is Mother 1 and Mother 2, the full Mother collection.

what the FUCK???

the madlads are actually finally doing it?

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    finally, mother 2 in the west....

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited February 2022
    So I played Xenoblade Chronicles back in the original release, enjoyed it, but stalled out before finishing it completely. Which was not uncommon for me with jrpgs at the time.
    Seering the trailer for 3 I was thinking maybe I should give the Chronicles definitive edition a go, but also I was thinking the later Xenoblade games were more removed so I looked up the releases. Is X not well liked or something? The more info release talks up the Definitive edition and Chronicles 2, and this now Chronicles 3 the third game in the series. But there was one between the original and 2 wasn't there or if that a remake/up rez of one of the others?

akajaybay on
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2022
    okay live-a-live twitter dump

first here's a good thread about the game if you're unfamiliar

dunno about internationally, but japan is getting a collector's edition that looks sick as fuck

some other fun tidbits

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    XCX is unrelated to the other games.

• Options
    XCX is a create your own character faux MMO compared to Xenoblade single player focused story.

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I should give Definitive a go sometime when I have a bunch of time. Might be tempting to just jump into 2. I generally remember the plot beats of the original to a point.

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    I should give Definitive a go sometime when I have a bunch of time. Might be tempting to just jump into 2. I generally remember the plot beats of the original to a point.

definitive edition is for sure the best way to experience the original, and while i didnt like 2 as much I still put an absurd amount of hours into it

but it looks like the plots of both might be relevant for 3 so that is worth keeping in mind

and I despised X but we have some weirdos on this forum who like it for some reason but they can let that one die for all I care

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    XCX is the most ambitious Xenoblade game and that's also a lot of why it's the worst

• Options
    The best XCX is Charli

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    i love the OST though

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    i love the OST though

The music is rad, everything else is forgettable

This discussion has been closed.