As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox] Thread Closed. Please direct all complaints to the shiny new thread.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Nintendo themselves call it a "first person adventure game." And the emphasis is on exploration over combat. Tho I did enjoy the multiplayer for the DS game.

In your typical Metroidvania game you kill every living thing you encounter with a sword or another weapon, but we don't call them "hack-and-slash" games nonetheless. The gated exploration aspect is really important.

We would call them action adventure games lol

So they're not the same. :lol:

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Nintendo themselves call it a "first person adventure game." And the emphasis is on exploration over combat. Tho I did enjoy the multiplayer for the DS game.

In your typical Metroidvania game you kill every living thing you encounter with a sword or another weapon, but we don't call them "hack-and-slash" games nonetheless. The gated exploration aspect is really important.

We would call them action adventure games lol

So they're not the same. :lol:

Uh huh.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    So I installed Gears 5 (which took up 100GB for the installer) and then launched it... Only to be welcomed by MORE install options. In order to get the single player and multiplayer content you have to basically install another 48GB of data. Glad I launched it before my buddies and I tried to play some Horde mode on Thursday.

Although I guess that's probably for the best. Rather than installing the full 148GB of data you can pick and choose what you want.

There's a few Xbox games that do the pick-and-choose thing. Halo MCC is the big one, Mass Effect: Legendary Edition does it too. It's kind of a neat feature, especially if you're forever juggling limited storage space.

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    So I installed Gears 5 (which took up 100GB for the installer) and then launched it... Only to be welcomed by MORE install options. In order to get the single player and multiplayer content you have to basically install another 48GB of data. Glad I launched it before my buddies and I tried to play some Horde mode on Thursday.

Although I guess that's probably for the best. Rather than installing the full 148GB of data you can pick and choose what you want.

There's a few Xbox games that do the pick-and-choose thing. Halo MCC is the big one, Mass Effect: Legendary Edition does it too. It's kind of a neat feature, especially if you're forever juggling limited storage space.

Yeah I just didn't see it coming after such a large preliminary install. At first I was like "WTF" but after I typed it out I ended up liking the idea. Especially for those who don't really play SP or MP games.

• Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular

Wait if I downloaded Mass Effect already, do I not have all the game installed? Is there more to install before I can play? I hate going to play a game only to discover I can't yet.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    shadowane wrote: »

Wait if I downloaded Mass Effect already, do I not have all the game installed? Is there more to install before I can play? I hate going to play a game only to discover I can't yet.

it downloads the first game and the launcher. you'll need to manual start the downloads for 2 and 3.

• Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    shadowane wrote: »

it downloads the first game and the launcher. you'll need to manual start the downloads for 2 and 3.

oh that's fine then. I can wait until I get close to the end of the 1st to download the 2nd. Thanks!

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    Genre's are half assed terms that mean different things.

First person shooter is describing the perspective and primary gameplay mechanic.

Metroidvania is describing how the level and ability progression works.

Those are not mutually exclusive things! Metroid Prime is both a First Person Shooter and a Metroidvania.

EDIT: Chrome was getting wiggy on me so I wansn't able to finish that though.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that you can do a lot of things to a FPS, but if you take out the first person perspective or the shooting, it ceases to be an FPS, but you can add all sorts of other shit to the formula and it'll still be an FPS. You can make it open world (farcry), a score attack (devil daggers), add RPG elements (feels like every fps that isn't retro these days)

Likewise, Metroidvania spans untold perspectives and mechanics.. Metroid is a 2D sidescrolling shooter adventure, Castlevania is a 2D sidescrolling hack and slash, Arkham Asylum is a 3D, third person brawler etc. etc.

As I said, there's nothing about the descriptions of those two genres that means they can't get it on and have a baby.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Deus Ex is ABSOLUTELY a first person shooter

• Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Deus Ex is ABSOLUTELY a first person shooter

I'd be willing to give that one a pass since you can non-shoot your way out of most situations. (I'm assuming, I've never actually played it.)

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Deus Ex is 100% a FPS - a First Person Swimmer! cause everyone who played the original knows, swimming is the most important skill.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Deus Ex is 100% a FPS - a First Person Swimmer! cause everyone who played the original knows, swimming is the most important skill.

There was some good loot underwater.

• Options
    edited January 2022

Yeah I just didn't see it coming after such a large preliminary install. At first I was like "WTF" but after I typed it out I ended up liking the idea. Especially for those who don't really play SP or MP games.

I had no idea Gears 5 had grown to that sort of size, to be fair, last time I had it installed (which was close to launch) it was like 50-something GB and as far as I know that was the whole thing at that point. I could be wrong, of course.

I remember Gears 4 getting over 100GB too, so I guess it's not a shocker.

Jazz on
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Turns out adding 50,000 dumb skins and tripling the amount of maps takes up a ridiculous amount of space.

Also did your install include the new DLC campaign? That was another good chunk of gigs as well.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Turns out adding 50,000 dumb skins and tripling the amount of maps takes up a ridiculous amount of space.

Also did your install include the new DLC campaign? That was another good chunk of gigs as well.

Yeah, skins & shit get really big really quick. Like how Rocket League is at like 30GB on Xbox and increasing. Rocket League! Seriously! It's all F2P cruft bloat. I guess Gears is just cruft bloat...

• Options

Actually asked me if I wanted to download that which was cool! I didn't and saved 8GB. Also didn't download any of the skins and I think that saved an insane amount of space lol.

• Options

In their "defense", Hivebusters is an excellent littles singleplayer DLC romp, especially if you don't crave more open world traveling. Some of the best Gears DLC I can remember.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I didn’t expect to do so based on the first hour of play, but I finished Sable (while also completing all but a couple of quests) and it’s now one of my favorite games I’ll never recommend to anyone. Maybe in 5 years when bugs are fixed and the XSX X can run it at a decent frame rate.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    PUBG has gone F2P as of today, so I fired it up for the first time in ages... actually I tried to last night but the servers were down.

Even though I'd played before (for which I got some free goodies, which is nice), it forced me into the tutorial - oh yeah, it has a tutorial now - and then AI bot matches. Which is fine, I always like and appreciate the option to play against bots. All the fun of gameplay without any Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory.

Anyway, against bots or not, I was chuffed to score this on my second botmatch:
    7im5crn6nc9e.jpg

My first chicken dinner outside of the mobile version. Woohoo! Got me a rare 'cheevo for that too (55GS, 8.60%).

Edit: got another about an hour later.
    jjm7b7ge17mt.jpg

Jazz on
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    So, STALKER 2 got delayed until December 8th. https://www.polygon.com/22880013/stalker-2-delay-release-date-2022-xbox

Though, I keep wondering if they are going to port the originals or just leave the Xbox people out in the cold regarding the story so far.

• Options
    Nitsua wrote: »
    So, STALKER 2 got delayed until December 8th. https://www.polygon.com/22880013/stalker-2-delay-release-date-2022-xbox

Though, I keep wondering if they are going to port the originals or just leave the Xbox people out in the cold regarding the story so far.

Is there going to be a story throughline in these games?

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Figured I'd toss this here
    If you weren't aware, tomorrow they shut down the Halo 3 servers. I'm gonna be on tonight to let the game go, people should join me

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    What's crazy is it's been 12 years since the Halo 2 servers shut down
    I still love this story
    https://www.cnet.com/news/last-halo-2-player-finally-leaves-xbox-live/?utm_source=reddit.com

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    What's crazy is it's been 12 years since the Halo 2 servers shut down
    I still love this story
    https://www.cnet.com/news/last-halo-2-player-finally-leaves-xbox-live/?utm_source=reddit.com

Our very own @FyreWulff was among the final few

• Options

I would assume so, since it’s a sequel. Usually at that point they assume you know the main issue and so don’t go into details on what’s going on. The original STALKER games do have you finding out what’s up with the exclusion zone, how to traverse it, what to look out for, etc. Plus you get a general idea what all the people around the zone are there for. Like the original games make it clear it’s around Chernobyl, it’s even in the name. This one doesn’t even have that, but it is in the same general area. Unless this is going to be a sequel in name only, but the trailers don’t make it seem like such. Those why have played the originals have a good idea what’s in store in this game, those coming in without that would likely be missing out on a lot unless there’s some info dump in the beginning.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited January 2022

I would assume so, since it’s a sequel. Usually at that point they assume you know the main issue and so don’t go into details on what’s going on. The original STALKER games do have you finding out what’s up with the exclusion zone, how to traverse it, what to look out for, etc. Plus you get a general idea what all the people around the zone are there for. Like the original games make it clear it’s around Chernobyl, it’s even in the name. This one doesn’t even have that, but it is in the same general area. Unless this is going to be a sequel in name only, but the trailers don’t make it seem like such. Those why have played the originals have a good idea what’s in store in this game, those coming in without that would likely be missing out on a lot unless there’s some info dump in the beginning.

The last game was niche as hell, this one is launching Day One on Gamepass. I would bet money they will assume the vast amount of the playerbase knows NOTHING about Stalker except "unique setting... you shoot mutants?" They will absolutely explain what the deal is, it would be completely insane not to.

shoeboxjeddy on
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Well, it wouldn’t be the first time - they put Kingdom Hearts 3 on the Xbox Quite a bit before they released the previous games in the series. They did eventually though. Which is what I was curious about. I have the games, though Steam, though I haven’t played much of them since I prefer controller to mouse and keyboard. And those first games were not designed with controllers in mind.

Edit: And Yakuza 7 released on Xbox before the other games in the series as well. So there is precedent to dropping the next part in a franchise and then putting out the previous games - which is what I’m hoping for here.

Nitsua on
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I'm having a weird UI issue with the Xbox Series X in which while on the system menu, it's extremely random if it recognizes my presses of the "A" button. And even once it accepts the input it can take dozens of seconds to execute. I've tried unplugging my xbox to force a reboot, but no improvement. Any ideas?

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Well, it wouldn’t be the first time - they put Kingdom Hearts 3 on the Xbox Quite a bit before they released the previous games in the series. They did eventually though. Which is what I was curious about. I have the games, though Steam, though I haven’t played much of them since I prefer controller to mouse and keyboard. And those first games were not designed with controllers in mind.

Edit: And Yakuza 7 released on Xbox before the other games in the series as well. So there is precedent to dropping the next part in a franchise and then putting out the previous games - which is what I’m hoping for here.

That isn't right about Yakuza 7. Zero released on Xbox on Feb 2020, Like a Dragon wasn't on Xbox until November 2020. The rest of the series rolled out on Xbox before Like a Dragon as well. I suspect the KH deal was some kind of weird agreement with the Playstation platform, it took a strangely long time for the other games to hit Xbox, then they hit Epic (they still haven't been freed from Epic only on PC).

• Options

That isn't right about Yakuza 7. Zero released on Xbox on Feb 2020, Like a Dragon wasn't on Xbox until November 2020. The rest of the series rolled out on Xbox before Like a Dragon as well. I suspect the KH deal was some kind of weird agreement with the Playstation platform, it took a strangely long time for the other games to hit Xbox, then they hit Epic (they still haven't been freed from Epic only on PC).

Kingdom Hearts 3 also got the first reveal in literal years at an E3 Xbox Showcase. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but it was actually the first presentation of the game on current generation hardware (in that case, Xbox One) simply because of the evidence of any in-game rendered footage (there was barely any, or possibly none at all, on the PS3, which is where it was originally assumed to appear, except for some full-motion video--and the game skipped that generation, mostly obviously).

I always assumed this was Microsoft paying a lot of money to Square-Enix/Disney/whomever not only to secure a release, but also the first trailer in ages. The predecessors--which I assume was every KH title that wasn't a mobile or handheld exclusive, though some of those handheld titles did come to Xbox One--were presumably part of it, albeit rolling out over time. S-E was also starting to put effectively the entirety of its 3D Final Fantasy catalogue that wasn't an MMORPG or Crystal Chronicles onto Xbox One, including some that were originally on PSP (that, and yet more PC releases).

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular

Also something to remember is that the game added 4k assets for the One X and then Series X after the fact that took up a bunch more space. If you installed the game on something like an Xbox One S right now, the size would be much smaller as it would be downloading smaller assets.

I just went through this actually. For reasons, I've set up my older One S so I can take it somehere that I might be staying at for a few days within the next couple weeks. I installed a few games that are currently installed on my Series X and the install sizes are as much as 30% less in some cases, especially for games that are optimized for the Series X.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

Also something to remember is that the game added 4k assets for the One X and then Series X after the fact that took up a bunch more space. If you installed the game on something like an Xbox One S right now, the size would be much smaller as it would be downloading smaller assets.

I just went through this actually. For reasons, I've set up my older One S so I can take it somehere that I might be staying at for a few days within the next couple weeks. I installed a few games that are currently installed on my Series X and the install sizes are as much as 30% less in some cases, especially for games that are optimized for the Series X.
    Hmmm, gonna have to go look to see if I can disable 4k on some games as my TV is only 1080. Would be nice to free up some space.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »

Hmmm, gonna have to go look to see if I can disable 4k on some games as my TV is only 1080. Would be nice to free up some space.

I don't know this for sure, but I don't think so. Smart Delivery downloads the correct version for the console you own, not the TV.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

All 3 of the World Of Assassination Trilogy games are coming to console and PC Game Pass on the 20th, alongside the start of Hitman 3: Year Two, featuring a bunch of new content and features

• Options
    Hell yeah

• Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »

All 3 of the World Of Assassination Trilogy games are coming to console and PC Game Pass on the 20th, alongside the start of Hitman 3: Year Two, featuring a bunch of new content and features

I was originally, "Wow, why would I give a shit if IOI is doing a GOTY edition?"

Then I saw Game Pass. And then I saw PC Game Pass.

If there are the usual Xbox cross-platform save games, hot damn. Going from Steam to Xbox One/Xbox Series may've turned out to be the right choice for my Hitman Trilogy progression.

• Options

The rest of the series wasn’t released before 7 - though yes, 0, Kiwami 1 & 2 released in the same year as 7 (and a good number of months before hand) the remastered versions of 3,4 & 5 didn’t hit January of 2021 at least. (https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/01/27/yakuza-remastered-collection-hits-xbox-today-glorious-hd/) I remember waiting until they were all available to actually start a new playthrough of 0 and Kiwami on Xbox. Though I honestly didn’t notice the Yakuza games were coming to the system (or were Already there in part) until Yakuza 7 hit on the Xbox Series X BEFORE the PS5, was very unexpected. 2020 was an insane year (that really hasn’t stopped being insane) so I do believe I got that jumbled a bit. My apologies.

Though it’s not super important, 7 did release on Xbox before all the rest were available (though they did come eventually) and Kingdom Hearts also released out of order on the system. There’s other examples as well, and I’m hoping (though it’s a very small hope) that the original STALKER games get ported to Xbox as well. More shooters of that caliber would be a welcome sight on the platform, in my opinion.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Speaking of Gears 5, I'm loving the minor hype boost for the series after Noah Gervais put out a video essay on the entire franchise (including DLC!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-gQCZL8VA8

Though I really wish Gears 5 front-faced its install components by default. I've reinstalled the game a couple times over the years and almost every time I'm like "oh I'll leave this download on overnight" but when it comes time to boot up the game to play with friends we have to spend another few hours actually installing the component we want to play, which is fucking annoying

Oh, and some Forza Horizon 5 love!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyvlamwZ4O8

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    For the first time ever, I got behind the wheel of a Warthog in a Halo FPS.

Help.
    This is NOTHING like how it plays in Forza...

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    For the first time ever, I got behind the wheel of a Warthog in a Halo FPS.

Help.
    This is NOTHING like how it plays in Forza...
    1. Find and kill the high value target with the arcane sentinel beam
    2. Equip 5 marines with the arcane sentinel beam
    3. Load up everyone in a razorback
    4. Profit