As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox] Thread Closed. Please direct all complaints to the shiny new thread.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    For the first time ever, I got behind the wheel of a Warthog in a Halo FPS.

Help.
    This is NOTHING like how it plays in Forza...

The vehicle selection is...a great deal more limited than Halo 5, but admittedly, we're dealing with an open-world setting where, as a concession to the clearing zones mechanic, you spawn ("request") these vehicles a lot of the time, and then use them for your purpose as you see fit, rather than a linear (but still very large world) where you're given a Scorpion for the very clear purpose of assaulting a particularly robust position or sticking a bunch of 90-mm tank gun shells down the Warden Eternal's throat.
    I really, really liked those sections, but they're very different than an open-world style of gameplay.

EDIT: On a completely unrelated note, apparently the M808 Scorpion, and its variants, have been in service with military forces on Earth for almost two hundred years by the time of the Halo franchise, as elaborated by Bungie by the time of Halo Reach, if not earlier; it's straight up what the Convenant have done with a lot of their military materiel ("So ancient we can't really replace it with anything else better."), except it's for humans, and even with a basic understanding of the Halo mythos I find this hilarious.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular

Help.

I do wish Halo vehicles ignored terrain shifts under a certain amount. I feel like every little rock and pebble either makes my vehicle spin and spiral out of control, or gets it completely stuck. I know it's technically less realistic for Warthogs to drive through small rocks and stuff, but I feel like there's plenty of unrealistic aspects already.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

Help.

It... takes a little getting used to.

Just remember you aren't steering the vehicle in Halo, you're still controlling the camera. The vehicle just tries to line up with that, and often, hilarity ensues.

You do get used to it though.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I think of it as marionette style controls, you have invisible strings that control the axis of the vehicle based on how you angle the camera. Atleast in old Halo games, it was possible to right a vehicle mid-roll by pointing the camera the correct direction.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Been playing a lot of Anvil with a friend lately.

Really feels like the "maximum party size" in everything past the first galaxy is actually required.

Like, bosses are so spongy in the second galaxy that losing 30% of your damage output by going duo instead of 3 people is a hurdle you just can't surpass.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Upgrade the Grappleshot all the way. Do this first.

You can scale completely vertical cliff faces. There is literally no terrain bar "overly large gap" you cannot cross with this stupid thing. Walls, mountains, pillars, buildings, whatever.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    I'm getting a little more used to the vehicle controls...

...or at least I was, until I took control of a Scorpion. That runs completely different, with the camera following the turret instead of steering the vehicle.

Does every vehicle do this, control in some different, quirky way?
    Arteen wrote: »

Help.
    1. Find and kill the high value target with the arcane sentinel beam
    2. Equip 5 marines with the arcane sentinel beam
    3. Load up everyone in a razorback
    4. Profit

And I do all this while driving a Warthog?

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    The only winning move is not to play.

• Options

...or at least I was, until I took control of a Scorpion. That runs completely different, with the camera following the turret instead of steering the vehicle.

No, they all basically drive the same way, except nobody went "shit, it's a tank not a jeep" and worked out you'd probably want camera and directional controls completely decoupled.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular

Help.
    4. Profit

Or give all your marines rocket launchers and pray you survive

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Mulletude wrote: »

Help.
    4. Profit

Or give all your marines rocket launchers and pray you survive

My solution to most things has been "okay, or I could bring Sheila".

• Options
    Well, I look forward to trying this stuff out as I progress. For now, though, this might be of interest:

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    Did anybody run into login issues with Halo and game pass? Multiple times I was kicked to the login screen and unable to open the campaign without quitting/reopening the game, because it thought I didn't own it. Then I lost an hour of progress because auto-saving just... didn't... for some reason. Pretty annoying, and not something I've encountered in other games.

• Options
    Think it's more an issue with how buggy Infinite is.

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »

Help.

I do wish Halo vehicles ignored terrain shifts under a certain amount. I feel like every little rock and pebble either makes my vehicle spin and spiral out of control, or gets it completely stuck. I know it's technically less realistic for Warthogs to drive through small rocks and stuff, but I feel like there's plenty of unrealistic aspects already.

But they are just continuing the grand Halo tradition of the Warthog just flying off into nowhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYNE-DKBZkI

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Think it's more an issue with how buggy Infinite is.

Yeah, I only had one license issue, which only lost me a few minutes of progress. I did have a problem that I was never able to resolve where the PC version would never load my save. Had to play the whole thing with downgraded graphics on my One S.

• Options
    Earlier I gave a whole spiel about how 120 hz games work on Xbox Series X (when they're actually available), and how they're uncommon, but there are more of them on PS5 (even before considering Xbox One and earlier generation games), I think (though how well it works anywhere is a different story).

Speaking of which: I did not know the Mass Effect Trilogy has a 120 hz mode that's supposed to run at 1440p. And it's apparently not available on PS5? Or at least wasn't at launch.

Anyway, I now have a reason to go back to trying to trick Kelly Chambers into having dinner with me so I can save her damn life.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Spent most of my weekend watching chart videos for prospective Rock Band DLC instead of playing Cyberpunk. Not sure I missed anything.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    If accurate, this is a pretty helpful list.

https://www.trueachievements.com/n48376/xbox-game-pass-leaving-soon-dates-now-showing-on-microsoft-store-pc-app

I was gonna start FF XII soon, anyways.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    I own FFX/X-2 on disc, but I guess if I ever wanted to actually play FFXII...I'd better start. I know quite a few people who liked it, but as the last Playstation 2 entry, it didn't catch my eye.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    well fuck, guess I need to start playing FF12 again
    and also buy all the yakuza games

:(

• Options
    edited January 2022
    I tried to chew through Yakuza but they're dense games, it definitely wasn't gonna happen for me to beat them all.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I wanted to get into and play through all the Yakuza games...but it was apparent early they're just not for me.

I went in not reading much and expecting something more like Sleeping Dogs I think.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options

AFAIK these weren't even announced to be coming to Xbox at all lol

• Options
    yooooooo!!

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Outer Wilds should be instructive in terms of games leaving Game Pass. Now we have an instance of them returning. I'd buy Hades if they took it off Gamepass and basically nothing else.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    This is why I've never been interested in Game Pass, don't want to keep track of what's coming and going or feel FOMO about titles leaving. I have enough FOMO setting deadlines for me as it is!

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Eh I treat it like a way to try new games I might want. It's already saved me money on games like Back 4 Blood which was a dud, and Halo Infinite which is fun but buggy.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Yeah for me most of the time if I haven’t played a game before it leaves gamepass I’ll try it out, and then if I enjoy it I’ll just buy it since by the time it leaves gamepass it’s usually long past release and so has gone down in price.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    This is why I've never been interested in Game Pass, don't want to keep track of what's coming and going or feel FOMO about titles leaving. I have enough FOMO setting deadlines for me as it is!

We're talking like... years of time though. Outer Wilds was on for multiple years, then removed for 5-6 months, now it's right back on. There were 2 full years to play the whole Yakuza series, etc. That's a weird reason not to be into it. And if you're into the game, it's then also cheaper to buy it, making you slightly better off than you would have been if you weren't subbed.

• Options
    Choice paralysis affects people differently.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Andy Joe wrote: »

We're talking like... years of time though. Outer Wilds was on for multiple years, then removed for 5-6 months, now it's right back on. There were 2 full years to play the whole Yakuza series, etc. That's a weird reason not to be into it. And if you're into the game, it's then also cheaper to buy it, making you slightly better off than you would have been if you weren't subbed.

That's not just the wrong number of years it would take me to get through the Yakuza series, it's the wrong number of digits.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Starting to sympathize with the too many games sentiment about game pass.

2o19sp6z1fc81.jpg

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Yeah Danganronpa and Taiko Drum Master weren’t even announced and whoops here ya go fam

We eatin good

• Options
    Fingers crossed the Yakuza games finally get physical releases on Xbox after they leave Game Pass.

• Options
    Fingers crossed the Yakuza games finally get physical releases on Xbox after they leave Game Pass.

Why is that?

• Options
    edited January 2022

Why is that?

I would presume because they want to own a physical release of the game. I'm the same way (not about Yakuza specifically; I don't know if I would actually buy any version of the games considering how I've struggled even to finish Yakuza 0)--I bought a physical release of Halo Infinite despite having Game Pass until halfway through 2023, the same way I (eventually) bought a physical release of Gears 5.

That being said, I don't think Game Pass is the obstacle here (though it'd be nice if it were). I've said before, I understand the obstacles but I would prefer it if Xbox releases tended to have physical releases the way the Switch gets them (except the Switch has very specific circumstances that can demand those releases; comparatively poor network infrastructure, and don't underestimate the casual audience's tendency to skip over buying additional storage for the console), out of a "more is better" mindset and my own personal preferences. I'm glad it's not like as bad as the PC space (at least where I live), where Steam basically killed off that marketplace even for the largest blockbusters, and all other distributors have followed suit. :sad:

Synthesis on
  • Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    So, uh... Looks like Microsoft is buying Activision/Blizzard for 70 (!) BILLION dollars. Spencer did say a couple months back that there were re-evaluating their relationship with Activision, I guess that's still technically true lol

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/01/18/welcoming-activision-blizzard-to-microsoft-gaming/

Kanden on
  • Options
    As a company, Microsoft is committed to our journey for inclusion in every aspect of gaming, among both employees and players. We deeply value individual studio cultures. We also believe that creative success and autonomy go hand-in-hand with treating every person with dignity and respect. We hold all teams, and all leaders, to this commitment. We’re looking forward to extending our culture of proactive inclusion to the great teams across Activision Blizzard.

Very cool, very cool, how much are Kotick and the other shitheads at the top that enabled a culture of abuse for decades about to make

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Well, I certainly wasn't expecting that.

I hope Microsoft cleans things up there.