Options

[Xbox] Thread Closed. Please direct all complaints to the shiny new thread.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Anywho, several hours later, I dig out my 360, get it all hooked up and even on the internet so it can update.. and the little bastard cannot read discs, be they 360, oXbox or DVD.

Try cleaning/replacing the little drive belt that spins the disc spindle. It's the main problem on my old Elite. It's pretty easy to pop off and replace being in the front and there should be videos or pics around to show you what to do.

Fortunately even the Xbox 360 isn't old enough for the drive belts (of their size) to have perished, gross black gunky oil style. At least, I haven't heard of that happening recently.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Anywho, several hours later, I dig out my 360, get it all hooked up and even on the internet so it can update.. and the little bastard cannot read discs, be they 360, oXbox or DVD.

Try cleaning/replacing the little drive belt that spins the disc spindle. It's the main problem on my old Elite. It's pretty easy to pop off and replace being in the front and there should be videos or pics around to show you what to do.

Fortunately even the Xbox 360 isn't old enough for the drive belts (of their size) to have perished, gross black gunky oil style. At least, I haven't heard of that happening recently.

Mine had a build up of some kind of...stuff. Dust, I suppose. Removing it, cleaning it and the rollers it wraps around should do it. However, it's difficult to clean the rollers well. It works, for a time.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    So there’s a move in darkness 2 where you pull a guys spine out of his ass

I enjoy this game

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    So there’s a move in darkness 2 where you pull a guys spine out of his ass

I enjoy this game

Shang Tsung from Mortal Kombat High approves (NSFW:language):

https://youtu.be/_JwR9y97UIg

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    Nitsua wrote: »
    So you guys had me worried, however the physical version is NOT like the digital. I think it’s because both are the same price, or Namco aren’t a bunch of dicks. I put Xbox One, but it’s the Xbox version and the top right corner says Xbox Series X. Top left states Series X and Xbox One. So you get both when you purchase it physically.
    ctagp894tewq.jpeg

You just have to be careful because (for Tales of Arise at least) it’s a separate disc for each version, and the first preowned copy I bought was missing the Series disc :/

Thankfully I was able to get it swapped

So my copy arrived today and I found out that it is indeed two discs, but it isn’t one for each version. You get a Key Disc (basically the install disc) and a Data Disc - you need both to truly install the game for either version. Really weird way to go about it, but does cut down on the amount of data you need to download.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    So you guys had me worried, however the physical version is NOT like the digital. I think it’s because both are the same price, or Namco aren’t a bunch of dicks. I put Xbox One, but it’s the Xbox version and the top right corner says Xbox Series X. Top left states Series X and Xbox One. So you get both when you purchase it physically.
    ctagp894tewq.jpeg

You just have to be careful because (for Tales of Arise at least) it’s a separate disc for each version, and the first preowned copy I bought was missing the Series disc :/

Thankfully I was able to get it swapped

So my copy arrived today and I found out that it is indeed two discs, but it isn’t one for each version. You get a Key Disc (basically the install disc) and a Data Disc - you need both to truly install the game for either version. Really weird way to go about it, but does cut down on the amount of data you need to download.

Sounds not that different from most 2-disc games of the current-ish era. RDR2, Cyberpunk 2077, etc, they're set up like that.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Damn it sucks that darkness 2 ends on a never to be resolved cliff hanger. Enjoyed that, felt like the world was just getting started

I would’ve loved a third game where you could play as
    Jenny infused with the wrathful angelus light powers

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    It's time to renew my Game Pass Ultimate, are there any current deals on 12 or 24 month plans that anyone knows about?

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    It's time to renew my Game Pass Ultimate, are there any current deals on 12 or 24 month plans that anyone knows about?

It might be somewhat....dubious, but various CD key retailers (GMG, CDkeys.com) regularly sell 3 month Game pass Ultimate subscriptions at substantial discounts over the normal price; it might be a way to hold yourself over until you see a particularly good seasonal deal.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Isn't Target doing a Buy One, Get One 15% off? Not a huge deal, but something to consider.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

It might be somewhat....dubious, but various CD key retailers (GMG, CDkeys.com) regularly sell 3 month Game pass Ultimate subscriptions at substantial discounts over the normal price; it might be a way to hold yourself over until you see a particularly good seasonal deal.

Yeah I grabbed a slightly discounted 3 month plan to wait out any sales.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Xbox Series X stopped working while my kid was playing and won't turn on now, tried changing ports/cables/etc and no change. May wait a while before paying Microsoft to fix it, it is 6 months out of the warranty, unfortunately.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Xbox Series X stopped working while my kid was playing and won't turn on now, tried changing ports/cables/etc and no change. May wait a while before paying Microsoft to fix it, it is 6 months out of the warranty, unfortunately.

God damn that sucks man.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Have you tried completely unplugging it from everything, hitting the power button a few times to fully discharge any remaining power, and thenleaving it off for a bit before rebooting?

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, I've gone through every sort of guide MS has for this sort of thing and anything else short of things that require opening it up. We have a Series S as well so the kids will be fine for now but it is a bummer.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    edited July 2022

Depending on if you used a credit card to purchase, some CC companies offer their own free manufacturer warranty extensions on basic purchases. You might want to reach out to them and see if they can help you.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    So I finally got around to trying out Shadowrun Returns, and I do like it. However, I think it is the only xbox console game that I've ever played that randomly asked me to rate it in the store. o_O

edit: been prompted twice so far.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Almost finished with SRIV. Just the final mission(s) to start. Either twenty or forty minutes from forty hours and everything else completed. So that'll be that for a bit. Probably save the DLC for later (and perhaps Saints Save Christmas for Valentines Day). Still just okay.

Had to knock down the difficulty to finish the final Genki MOM activity. By that point I was just wanting the side stuff to just be over, so meh. Don't know if it was the game or the emulation for the game, but it would freeze up if I tried to jump away on first boot. I'd have to exit to dash and then quit the game to get it to run. I just started booting to Start Menu, quitting, and then restarting. Not sure if it was the game or not, but it wasn't a favourable thing.

It also could've provided a way to see how some things tracked. The challenges were fine, but anything that wasn't a challenge but was an achievement couldn't be followed. I had that kill 25 aliens with the six weapons and it wouldn't unlock which required me to plan to go back through various weapons and see if it would work. Turns out the Inflat-o-ray needed 3 more alien kills. Fortunately, I picked it first because I figured that I used it mainly on 'gangs' or other assorted non-alien enemies. Usually in a couple of loyalty missions.

Best moment:
    Zin 'ruins' Biz Markee

Once I finish I'll be one achievement away from 80% overall completion. Once I get that in some way, not sure what I'll do next. I'm thinking either NFS The Run or WET. Either of which requires a working 360 with a stable XBL connection. So I guess I'll finally get around to setting up my 360E. Maybe it won't shit itself with my terrible bandwidth.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Had to knock down the difficulty to finish the final Genki MOM activity. By that point I was just wanting the side stuff to just be over, so meh. Don't know if it was the game or the emulation for the game, but it would freeze up if I tried to jump away on first boot. I'd have to exit to dash and then quit the game to get it to run. I just started booting to Start Menu, quitting, and then restarting. Not sure if it was the game or not, but it wasn't a favourable thing.

no, SRIV crashed a bunch originally, especially the 360/PS3 releases, they've always been hella buggy

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    I've returned to Outer Wilds to get 1835/1835 (that is, clear all the achievements from the Echoes of the Eye DLC. Great DLC, garbage achievements, specifically what are probably the two worst ones (if you've experienced the DLC, you can probably guess what).

Both involve the rafts aboard the space station called The Stranger--because of the nature of the game's physics model, controlling them is best described as trying to sail one of the sloops from Sea of Thieves, by yourself, through narrow gorges; but your hands have been chopped off and replaced by flashlights. Fuck. On top of how deliberately terrible the controls are (it makes sense when you're an alien astronaut fumbling their way through an abandoned space station with an artificial river running through the torus), the rafts also betray an otherwise hidden aspect of the game mechanic: the game runs on a time loop, where all events are pre-scripted, but because of how the physics calculations work even without player intervention the rafts are subject to some degree of randomness. In game a tenth of a meter can mean the difference between riding a wave on a raft, or being flipped over entirely and voiding both challenges. Without obstacles or obstructions. And all positioning in the game must be eyeballed.

Some advice for anyone else pursuing it: for "Tubular", ignore the video on True Achievements. It relies on a great deal of luck and experience rafting that you probably don't have because rafting only matters for the first third of the expansion anyway, with a vague starting position. I had much better luck with a Youtube video by someone named "TriforceThief", posted at the bottom of the TA thread; you're still dependent on luck, but at least you get the benefit of a much easier starting position. Spam the downward thrust trigger and just focus on avoiding the fewer obstructions from a start position no far from the dam; the torrent will actually lift you over the oddly empty part of the station, which will give you valuable seconds towards the requirement.

For "Around the World in 90 seconds", I chose a starting position immediate at the end of the reservoir to be closest to the dam as it burst; again, for any achievement you're going to have to repeat (because the game doesn't make save points, which doesn't make this any easier), you'll want as easy a setup as possible. Even if you circumnavigate in under 90 seconds, if you're knocked out of raft, it doesn't seem to take; don't forget that you can actually just keep trying as long as you're in a raft and circling the station. I ended up getting it after the dam had burst (and the floodplain cleared a lot of the most problematic obstacles).

Hoping the other achievements won't be as irritating, but at least they don't involve fine raft control.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Had to knock down the difficulty to finish the final Genki MOM activity. By that point I was just wanting the side stuff to just be over, so meh. Don't know if it was the game or the emulation for the game, but it would freeze up if I tried to jump away on first boot. I'd have to exit to dash and then quit the game to get it to run. I just started booting to Start Menu, quitting, and then restarting. Not sure if it was the game or not, but it wasn't a favourable thing

I find a lot of older games, especially those with an online component, may bug out when you resume using the quick resume feature. In every case force closing the game and restarting has fixed the issues.

• Options
    It's not urgent (or even necessary, since there are other ways to do it), but I would like to see a quick resume setting alongside "FPS boost", etc. among compatibility options for individual games. There are a few games I'd disable it for; but it'd probably be a bad idea for Xbox to enable it by default because then more people would be complaining about why Quick Resume didn't work for certain games.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I actually just finished up the Outer Wilds Echoes of the Eye achievements recently too.

Around the world in 90 seconds was fun. Tubular was dumb and frustrating. I did use the strategy listed first on TrueAchievements because I wasn't finding any more or less success with other approaches.

Echoes of the Eye is a great DLC but it does get tedious flying to the space station at the start of every loop.

• Options
    Arteen wrote: »
    I actually just finished up the Outer Wilds Echoes of the Eye achievements recently too.

Around the world in 90 seconds was fun. Tubular was dumb and frustrating. I did use the strategy listed first on TrueAchievements because I wasn't finding any more or less success with other approaches.

Echoes of the Eye is a great DLC but it does get tedious flying to the space station at the start of every loop.

The 90 second run wasn't fun, but it wasn't as outright infuriating as Tubular was.

• Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    I've been playing Unsighted lately and quick resume doesn't even work with that game. Along with a save system that I don't understand at all as it doesn't seem to always save, it's just really annoying. Plus I've gotten into the habit of being able to just stop playing a game when I want, but since the save system is unclear, it's hard to decide if I'll lose progress when I stop.

• Options
    Heffling wrote: »
    Had to knock down the difficulty to finish the final Genki MOM activity. By that point I was just wanting the side stuff to just be over, so meh. Don't know if it was the game or the emulation for the game, but it would freeze up if I tried to jump away on first boot. I'd have to exit to dash and then quit the game to get it to run. I just started booting to Start Menu, quitting, and then restarting. Not sure if it was the game or not, but it wasn't a favourable thing

I find a lot of older games, especially those with an online component, may bug out when you resume using the quick resume feature. In every case force closing the game and restarting has fixed the issues.

Not really quick resume, though. The process is:

Boot the X1 > once connected to XBL, boot SR4 > press Start > load recent save > press button to jump > let go of button to jump > lockup

After that happening three or four times I just stopped at 'boot SR4' and would then exit to dash > quit game > and then restart the game again and it wouldn't lock up trying to jump away.

The only other lockups I got were grinding mech suit kills. Thankfully the game would autosave after every activity instance so I never really loat much progress.

• Options
    And that's the main SRIV game done.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
  • Options
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Anyone else have the buttons prompts on Fall Guys incorrectly coming up as L stick?

e8qyflg4y3is.png
    x30mvrj6utg1.png

Edit: less than a minute after that post, I got a content update and the prompts seem to be fixed.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    More importantly, did the left stick work as shown?

• Options
    Yes, they simultaneously stayed and exited, entering their game into a unique state that encompassed all possible present and future outcomes.

They became the Fall Guys.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Rumor has it he's still falling to this day

• Options
    More importantly, did the left stick work as shown?

No. Controls remained the same.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I had that button mapping problem with Fall Guys last week when I tried it out for the first time. It was unplayable.

I uninstalled the game, deleted all game data from the cloud, fully shut off the Xbox, then reinstalled the game to fix it.

• Options
    Hmm.. buy an old 360 for 50-70 bucks that hopefully won't die on me, so I can have access to my back catalog of games, or give Amazon $90 to get PC versions of the two games actually want to play, and then put them on my Steam Deck.

Decisions decisions. I guess the best move would be to look at my library and see how many non BC games I might actually play in the future.

• Options
    Por que no los dos?

• Options
    Por que no los dos?

Because this is an unexpected expenditure, so I'm trying to limit how much money I spend on this given it's solely to play old games I've already played and beaten.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    My roommate bought a PS3 (the back compat one) and has had some issues with it hard locking. So my vote is just get it on a machine guaranteed to work lol

• Options
    edited July 2022
    Hmm.. buy an old 360 for 50-70 bucks that hopefully won't die on me, so I can have access to my back catalog of games, or give Amazon $90 to get PC versions of the two games actually want to play, and then put them on my Steam Deck.

Decisions decisions. I guess the best move would be to look at my library and see how many non BC games I might actually play in the future.

Is the PC version the same as the console? I can think of at least a few games from that era where the PC got shorted on features or dlc

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg