As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Fully Loaded, High-Octane [Spirits] Thread

167891012»

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Kanden wrote: »
    I have no idea, I've never made any kind of puree so figured it wouldn't hurt to ask before going out and buying a bunch of fruit.

That's totally fair and apologies if my question came across poorly, I didn't mean to say "what, you aren't a fruit puree expert already, you fool, you peasant"

What I meant is that I don't think you need to overthink it. Depending on the fruit you're working with there are bits you wouldn't want in a puree, seeds and skin and such, but strawberries and kiwi should be dead easy. You just pop the green top off the strawberry (and maybe cut it if you don't want the circle bit under the green top) and cut the ends and skin off your kiwi and you should be good to blend. You may find that you want to add some sugar (in some form) to your puree if your fruit isn't super ripe or if it just isn't as sweet as you want it to be but that's just a delicious spoon game you get to play as you make it.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited February 16
    So yeah I forget what the abv on this was but I only had like 5 oz maybe and it's kinda putting my on my ass Jesus

Found my notes from when I made it. 13% ish. That explains it.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Kanden wrote: »
    I have no idea, I've never made any kind of puree so figured it wouldn't hurt to ask before going out and buying a bunch of fruit.

That's totally fair and apologies if my question came across poorly, I didn't mean to say "what, you aren't a fruit puree expert already, you fool, you peasant"

What I meant is that I don't think you need to overthink it. Depending on the fruit you're working with there are bits you wouldn't want in a puree, seeds and skin and such, but strawberries and kiwi should be dead easy. You just pop the green top off the strawberry (and maybe cut it if you don't want the circle bit under the green top) and cut the ends and skin off your kiwi and you should be good to blend. You may find that you want to add some sugar (in some form) to your puree if your fruit isn't super ripe or if it just isn't as sweet as you want it to be but that's just a delicious spoon game you get to play as you make it.

Pretty much this. Fruit purees for professional use tend to be ~10% sugar, to give you some idea of what's typical.

• Options
    I had some half baked bits of information about when and why to put water in whiskey but I was never fully satisfied with the results and this video really helped sort some things out for me. I'd never had it explained to me that whiskey comes out of a cask at one proof and then the folks making it water it down to the proof that you typically get it in the bottle (assuming you aren't buying the cask strength) and that by itself really unlocked some things in my head.

Also I've watched way too many of their videos at this point and I'm extremely whiskey pilled, it's going to be an expensive and delicious problem.

https://youtu.be/vI9eOLEjzew?si=Tg1qbvAhcLxUT2v4

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Their videos really alternate from useful and informative to dumb clickbait. Brianna is so bad as a bartender in those tiktok drink episodes.

• Options
    I don't begrudge them the dumb clickbait because their good videos are pretty good. I don't watch it, but I don't mind that they make it.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I don't begrudge them the dumb clickbait because their good videos are pretty good. I don't watch it, but I don't mind that they make it.

It's very funny how much more annoying they are in the clickbait stuff, but I'm too old to enjoy that kind of attitude. They're pretty non-pretentious about talking about whiskey so that puts them way above a bunch of other whiskey people on youtube.

• Options
    edited February 20
    I'll admit I do enjoy the "we distilled awful thing X and then drank it" videos because it's what my friends and I would do with ready access to a still and the knowledge to misuse it.

Peen on
  • Options
    This is a really good video on smelling whiskey and other things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP81AUBgiuk

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited March 6
    Found a new mixing base for my various mule recipes, Fentiman's Pink Ginger.

It's quite distinct from a run of the mill ginger ale or beer, with some spicy bite and just a light hint of citrus (orange and lemon). For some it probably has a little too much bite to enjoy straight or neat, almost like a tincture of bitters without the alcohol, and just enough sugar you dont really need a neutral syrup to add some sweet, but it just jives with every type of liquor I've mixed it with, whiskey, vodka (potato and grain), mid-range gin (Bombay Sapphire is my everyday) and even anejo tequila.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I love Four Roses Select Single Barrel. For a sub $40 handle of bourbon it is an absolutely solid choice.

I only drink my bourbon/whiskey/scotch neat and it's one of my favorite sippin' liquors.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I don't know what happened with Powers but all their stuff is really good these days, highly recommend all of it.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    I want to go buy more whiskey but I should drink the whiskey I have but I want to go buy more whiskey, the cycle, she is vicious.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I want to go buy more whiskey but I should drink the whiskey I have but I want to go buy more whiskey, the cycle, she is vicious.

Nothing wrong with having like a dozen different bottles to choose from depending on your mood.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 29
    Drink what you have on the way to buying more. Problem solved!

Wait, no, don't actually do that.

As DarkPrimus said, is good to have a variety of bottles around if budget and space allows. Nice to have a variety to choose from.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    I've already got four bottles working, it's hard to justify having much more than that at a time.

But I probably will.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    If you get a fifth bottle, those other four will last longer. It's like your saving money.

• Options
    Damn that's smart, and the local shop is running a sale on women owned distilleries so I could finally grab a bottle from Tenth Ward, I'd probably be a fool not to buy some.

• Options
    We went up to PA to see family for the weekend so I grabbed a bottle by a small producer up there. It's my first cask strength bottle and I've only had a tiny bit but my first impression is that it's really good and a steal at $40/bottle, if you see it or other bottles from them I'd try it

ynp4cr9sw88e.jpg