As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Fully Loaded, High-Octane [Spirits] Thread

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I bought some Bacardi Gold from Costco to get a good discount to try and make my own Allspice Dram. I couldn't find whole ones at Whole Foods so I gave up and ordered it off Amazon as well as some Cinnamon sticks. In like twenty days I'll finally make a Rum Old Fashioned and let everybody know how it turned out.

After that I'm going to try making my own liqueurs. Except for Cherry, that one seems like too much work I'll just buy that one.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Rum old fashioneds are very good!

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    I bought some Bacardi Gold from Costco to get a good discount to try and make my own Allspice Dram. I couldn't find whole ones at Whole Foods so I gave up and ordered it off Amazon as well as some Cinnamon sticks. In like twenty days I'll finally make a Rum Old Fashioned and let everybody know how it turned out.

After that I'm going to try making my own liqueurs. Except for Cherry, that one seems like too much work I'll just buy that one.

Please report back on how things turn out later. I've been getting into cocktails a lot more lately and liqueurs and things like allspice dram definitely hurt the wallet when I try to expand our selection a bit.

I've got some plans for different syrups and infusions over the next few weeks and I figure I'll work through some of that kind of stuff before getting into liqueurs.

• Options
    Ketar wrote: »
    Magell wrote: »

Please report back on how things turn out later. I've been getting into cocktails a lot more lately and liqueurs and things like allspice dram definitely hurt the wallet when I try to expand our selection a bit.

I've got some plans for different syrups and infusions over the next few weeks and I figure I'll work through some of that kind of stuff before getting into liqueurs.

Syrups are a nice simple way to build confidence. Plus its cheap so messing up one of those is no big deal.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    It also apparently used to sport a 15 year label but no longer does so not a lot of info on the actual age of individual batches.

The whiskey craze of what is now pretty much the past decade means that the age statement is a dying breed for any bourbon less than $50. Until about 2014 or so, there was generally a huge glut of bourbon, and there all sorts of stuff commonly available that had what would now be very pricey age statements on them. (I have many regrets around not buying a pallet of Weller 12 a decade ago.)

That said, if you're okay with trying something else around Drum's price point, the Russell's Reserve 10 year is a pretty good sipper and one of the very bourbons common in the wild that still have an age statement over 4 years. (At least out here they're both $40.)

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I'm thinking about getting some mezcal, not for cocktails or anything but just to drink, because I've been curious for a while. Anybody in here a mezcal fan? You can just drink it, right?

• Options
    Peen wrote: »
    I'm thinking about getting some mezcal, not for cocktails or anything but just to drink, because I've been curious for a while. Anybody in here a mezcal fan? You can just drink it, right?

I haven't drank it, but I know there are a couple of youtube channels that you can watch where they'll drink a bunch of brands and recommend some or give you ideas about the drinks.

Here's my second favorite cocktail channel doing it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAbzLXgBRpI

and here's my third favorite cocktail channel doing just that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lcqy9y2_ixY

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I've only had mezcal a couple of times, but whatever kind it was that I had, I enjoyed it a lot more than most tequila I've had

• Options
    I started the initial steeping phase of making my all spice dram and the all-spice berries are soaking in rum. I used a coffee grinder to break up the berries and I think it pulverized some of them a little too finely, but it smelled nice so we'll see how that goes. Now to wait 12 days.

This is the recipe I'm using.
    https://www.seriouseats.com/diy-allspice-dram-make-your-own-st-elizabeths-pimento-dram-recipe

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Mezcal is tequilas dirty funky smokey brother and I love him. Never had a bottle at home, but I fully support the pursuit

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I was just going to post about Vida, it's basically the best for your buck and should be your constant if building a home bar.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    I can't find eagle rare in stores anywhere around here

I am lost without it, lost I say

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    spono wrote: »
    I can't find eagle rare in stores anywhere around here

I am lost without it, lost I say

I have not seen Eagle Rare on a shelf for at least a year and a half. Well, not at anything resembling a normal retail price anyway.

Spotting it on a shelf for $80-$120 has made it easy for me to mentally cross off some liquor stores though.

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    That is absurd

That's a 300% markup

There's like one target 30 miles away that says it's in stock, and none of the bevmos or total wines have it

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    spono wrote: »
    That is absurd

That's a 300% markup

There's like one target 30 miles away that says it's in stock, and none of the bevmos or total wines have it

Never trust Target stock on bourbon. I went out of my way a couple of times when their site said they had something harder to find in stock and couldn't get it either time.

• Options
    My local bourbon bar finally has a bottle of Lagavulin but it looks like the 8 not the 16.

Whatever.

Lagavulin time, babeeee

• Options
    Lagavulin is absolutely one of my favorite Islay scotches. If not maybe my favorite scotch.

Just a few drops of water from a straw and it opens up like woah and you get all that sugary nuttiness right up front and then the peat sneaks in before the door shuts.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    $300 for a bottle of JW Blue label with a message etched into the glass... Hmm...

sig.gif
  • Options
    On the one hand I don't drink as much now. On the other god damn eagle rare used to be a fucking steal at like...25-30

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    My local bourbon bar finally has a bottle of Lagavulin but it looks like the 8 not the 16.

Whatever.

Lagavulin time, babeeee

Can you really call it a bourbon bar if you're going there specifically for scotch?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Ok booze nerds, my county's holding a lottery for the right to purchase hard to get spirits, are any of these worth entering for?
    PAPPY VAN WINKLE OLD RIP 10YR (HAL) - 750ML
    PAPPY VAN WINKLE 12 YR (HAL) - 750ML
    WELLER FULL PROOF (HAL) - 750ML
    WELLER SINGLE BARREL (HAL)- 750ML
    WELLER CYPB (HAL) - 750ML
    TAYLOR JR WAREHOUSE C (HAL) - 750ML

There are others but I'm not in a $99+ per bottle place in my life.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Been enjoying getting into soju and shochu a lot lately because even the really good smooth ones are relatively cheap compared to most high-end liquors, the cheap flavored sojus taste great, and both the flavored and unflavored cheap ones make for fantastically smooth mixers in lieu of vodka

My favorite right now for sipping is Yobo Soju, which is a grape-based unflavored soju that has a bit of brandy on the finish. Made by a Korean-American family based out of New York wine country, too

One of my favorite Japanese labels, Tantakatan, is technically flavored by virtue of being steeped in perilla leaf, and god damn would I love to be able to get it in the USA (sadly, this means the last time I had any was my last visit to Japan in 2017)

• Options
    Doodmann wrote: »

Whatever.

Lagavulin time, babeeee

Can you really call it a bourbon bar if you're going there specifically for scotch?

Yes.

Because I also drank a Four Roses Single Barrel.

• Options
    Ok booze nerds, my county's holding a lottery for the right to purchase hard to get spirits, are any of these worth entering for?
    PAPPY VAN WINKLE OLD RIP 10YR (HAL) - 750ML
    PAPPY VAN WINKLE 12 YR (HAL) - 750ML
    WELLER FULL PROOF (HAL) - 750ML
    WELLER SINGLE BARREL (HAL)- 750ML
    WELLER CYPB (HAL) - 750ML
    TAYLOR JR WAREHOUSE C (HAL) - 750ML

There are others but I'm not in a $99+ per bottle place in my life.

I've never had Weller or Taylor Jr but I have tried Pappy Van 10 and I was extremely underwhelmed considering it was $100 for a 2 oz pour. Luckily I did not buy it.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    They want how much for a bottle how old?

• Options
    Yeah. $1200 for the Old RIP Van Winkle 10 year.

It's kinda fucking ridiculous.

• Options
    I could buy a 25 Year Laphroaig for half that.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    one downside to not living in more northerly climes is that, especially this winter, it never got cold enough to straight up freeze liquids

I wanted to make apple wine and then applejack via freezing, but it was cold enough for maybe one day this year and you need at least a few days to freeze enough water out

• Options
    I could get that Pappy 10 for $60/bottle if I win the lottery, is it worth that? I'm itching to enter to get something that I usually wouldn't or couldn't but I don't want to blow my chance on something that's only so so.

• Options
    I could get that Pappy 10 for $60/bottle if I win the lottery, is it worth that? I'm itching to enter to get something that I usually wouldn't or couldn't but I don't want to blow my chance on something that's only so so.

Oh my god I've never had it and it's for sure overpriced at $1200 but for the opportunity to buy a bottle for $60?

... Is the lottery an entry for a drawing on each of those bottles, or do you have to pick a single bottle drawing per entry? 'Cause if it was a possibility to win any one of those bottles with a single buy I might get like ten tickets for the sheer possibility to try one of those.

• Options

Oh for $60? Yeah sure definitely.

I do think it says something they can mark a $1200 bottle down to $60 tho.

• Options

The Pappy and Weller bottles are all worth it if you can get them at retail price. They're very hard to find at an actual fair price, especially the Pappy varieties.

• Options

Oh for $60? Yeah sure definitely.

I do think it says something they can mark a $1200 bottle down to $60 tho.

All it says is that people mark up Rip and Pappy Van Winkle to ridiculous levels because they know people will pay those prices based on reputation alone.

The actual msrp for a 10 year Van Winkle is $69.99. Even the 23 year has an msrp of something like $299.99.

• Options
    Oh dang for some reason I didn't realize that was the MSRP.

It's like a PS5 situation, huh?

• Options
    Kind of?

But I think you will eventually be able to buy a PS5 at retail without much hassle. I don't expect to ever be able to buy Pappy at retail in th next decade or two. It would take a full crash of the bourbon market.

• Options
    Which is honestly fine? Like, there's so much bourbon out there you can find plenty that's good without dropping $Texas on an ok bottle of hype juice.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Oh my god I've never had it and it's for sure overpriced at $1200 but for the opportunity to buy a bottle for $60?

... Is the lottery an entry for a drawing on each of those bottles, or do you have to pick a single bottle drawing per entry? 'Cause if it was a possibility to win any one of those bottles with a single buy I might get like ten tickets for the sheer possibility to try one of those.

It's one free entry per county resident (so I'm going to get my wife to enter too) which can happen because the liquor stores are run by the county. You have to rank your choices on the list, I'm not sure how many you can hope for because entries start on 4/3, but we'll see and if I get something I'll report back.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Which is honestly fine? Like, there's so much bourbon out there you can find plenty that's good without dropping $Texas on an ok bottle of hype juice.

the only bad part about it is the cheaper bourbons which are good start to get more notice and upcharged over time as well, so you have to start finding new substitutions, and the cycle repeats itself

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    The only option is to start moonshining.

I've been waiting for this moment for so long.

• Options
    Weller used to be a solid buy at retail, and pappy I've had the 10 and it's tasty. Ain't nothing 200+/bottle tasty. But it's good and if you can swing it its worth a go